Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #121
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

As I wait for my Kindle to arrive , I am trying to read up the books I have. I found a stack of books by Anita Shreve on the bargain rack at Barnes & Noble; so far it's been hit or miss:

The Pilot's Wife: Excellent
All He Ever Wanted: Okay, but frustrating
A Wedding in December: Down right AWFUL!
Light On Snow: Just started this one, but so far it's very good

Before these, I had read two Disney books: Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination by Neal Gabler and Disney War by James B. Stewart. I thought both were excellent!
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #122
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
You are going to LOVE it.

Congrats!
Thank you, Kevin - your positive review of the Kindle here and on the Podcast really helped me make the decision to order one!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #123
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggles02 View Post

I've read quite a lot this year (like 70-yes I write them all down!). If anyone needs suggestions for their child or young adult, feel free to pm me. I'm a children's librarian
I do the same thing. I have a small little notebook and in it I write the book and when I read it and anything I want to remember about the book or favorite quotes/passages. Nothing worse than trying to remember the name of a book you read a few years ago and you can't .

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #124
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
As I wait for my Kindle to arrive , I am trying to read up the books I have. I found a stack of books by Anita Shreve on the bargain rack at Barnes & Noble; so far it's been hit or miss:

Before these, I had read two Disney books: Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination by Neal Gabler and Disney War by James B. Stewart. I thought both were excellent!
I' listening to a Wedding in December on CD right now. A friend gave it to me. So far I kinda like....sorry you thought it was awful. I hate wasting time on a book I end up hating. Will have to look for the Pilot's Wife.

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #125
kisobel
Mouseketeer

i just finished Redemption Alley by Lilith Saintcrow and Small Favor by Jim Butcher. both part of series and both very good. ok i just started The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller- so far so good.

kate

Oct 07 POR,
Oct 08, ASMo, Jan 09 ASMu, Sep 09 ASMo
Dec 09 CB, Dec 10 POP, Oct 11 CSR/POLY
Oct 12 CSR/Dream,Dec 12 FQ, Jan 14 AofA
Feb 15 B2B Dream
kisobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #126
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis37862 View Post
I' listening to a Wedding in December on CD right now. A friend gave it to me. So far I kinda like....sorry you thought it was awful. I hate wasting time on a book I end up hating. Will have to look for the Pilot's Wife.
I think, for me, "Wedding In December" had too many characters that weren't fully developed. Also, I didn't like the addition of the book that Agnes is writing - I felt it just cluttered up an already crowded story. I also found it hard to relate to most of the characters, the majority of whom are adulterers.

However, I do recommend "The Pilot's Wife"! For me, that was excellent.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #127
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

We've talked about Kindle and the library....where else does everyone get their books?

I have found Sam's Club to have the lowest prices on new releases as well as bestsellers in paperback. We have a Walden Books (which is a smaller version of Boarder's), and sometimes I can find bargain books there. Same with Barnes & Noble; I just shop the clearance sections at new bookstores. If I can't find it at Sam's, I order from Amazon or Overstock.com.

As for used books, I just went to a Half-Price Books last week. My dad found some great titles in their clearance section, and I bought some current magazines for $1. Our library has a used bookstore, and I've gotten some great stuff there, including a brand-new copy of "Fall On Your Knees" (I'd accidentally given my copy to Goodwill last year) and current magazine issues for only a quarter!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #128
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think, for me, "Wedding In December" had too many characters that weren't fully developed. Also, I didn't like the addition of the book that Agnes is writing - I felt it just cluttered up an already crowded story. I also found it hard to relate to most of the characters, the majority of whom are adulterers.
I also listened to "Wedding In December" and agree with what you say here.

Anita Shreve's Fortune's Rocks and Pilot's Wife and Sea Glass are all set in the same house. The is no connection between the characters in the book.

The house is in the book is in New Hampshire. I always thought that it was odd because Fortune's Rocks is a part of Biddeford, Maine!

The Weight of Water is good, based on real murders on an island off Portsmouth, New Hamshire. Tricky to follow as the story is told in two time periods. Give it a try.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #129
Disney_Mama
DIS Veteran

Almost done Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Next on the list is Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #130
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I also listened to "Wedding In December" and agree with what you say here.

Anita Shreve's Fortune's Rocks and Pilot's Wife and Sea Glass are all set in the same house. The is no connection between the characters in the book.

The house is in the book is in New Hampshire. I always thought that it was odd because Fortune's Rocks is a part of Biddeford, Maine!

The Weight of Water is good, based on real murders on an island off Portsmouth, New Hamshire. Tricky to follow as the story is told in two time periods. Give it a try.
Thanks for the recommendations...I'll have to download those when my Kindle arrives!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #131
kstatefamily
Mouseketeer

I am currently rereading(for the sixth time) the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, in anticipation for the new release of her 7th book in September. Also reading Nora Roberts Black Hikks and just finished the first in her Wedding series. Love Nora Roberts. I use our publlic library every week. DD6 is currently worling her way thru the learning to read Bones mystery series.

DH Me: DD(9)

12/08 Wilderness Lodge
12/10 Wilderness Lodge
12/12
kstatefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #132
kstatefamily
Mouseketeer

I am currently rereading(for the sixth time) the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, in anticipation for the new release of her 7th book in September. Also reading Nora Roberts Black Hills and just finished the first in her Wedding series. Love Nora Roberts. I use our publlic library every week. DD6 is currently worling her way thru the learning to read Bones mystery series.

DH Me: DD(9)

12/08 Wilderness Lodge
12/10 Wilderness Lodge
12/12
kstatefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #133
Mickey's Best Girl
Peace, Love & Mickey Mouse.... what else is there?

Since the Kindle app isn't available in Canada (nor the Kindle itself) I often listen to audiobooks on my iTouch. Do you think The Lost City of Z would be an enjoyable "listen" rather than read? I'm looking for a few options for our next WDW visit.

TIA
Sept. '89, offsite ** Oct. '98, offsite ** April '06, Pop ** Dec. '07, Pop ** Nov. '08, CBR ** Nov. '09 4 nights @ POR - 3 nights on DCL Wonder - 7 nights @ Pop ** April '10, Pop ** Nov. '10, Pop ** April '11, Pop ** Oct. '11, Pop - endured 40th anniversary mayhem and lived to tell the story, barely ** April '12, Pop ** October '12, AOA Mermaid ** October '13, Pop
Mickey's Best Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #134
jblrn2b
DIS Veteran

What a great idea for a post. Thanks all for giving me another pile of books.

I have the iphone and actually like reading on it better than I thought I would - you're right Kevin - I use it the most when I am waiting for the boys at practice, etc. I liked being able to read in a hotel room when my family went to bed. I was able to read from it easier than reading with a book lamp. I am thinking about the Kindle though.

I recently read The First Hour I Believed - which I didn't care for. I loved Wally Lambs other books. I also just read Secret Daughter for my book club and liked the story just couldn't feel connected to the author.

I really liked Water for Elephants. My next read is Nora Roberts new book Vision in White - I like to read one fluff in between my bookclub book.

I have so many in my pile I can't even name them.

DVC Members September 2008!
Me, DH, DS 17, DS 11.
jblrn2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #135
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you get a chance, try The Last Time They Met. I love most of her books anyway, but the concept of this one was brilliant.
wildfan1473 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: