Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #106
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I, personally, dont miss holding a book.

I have never been a fan of paperback books. It seems that most of the books I gravitate towards tend longer. It seems I was always trying to crack the spine on a paperback to get it to open far enough to be readable.

For this reason, most of my reading has been in "hard cover" format.

Keep in mind that I started with the Sony Reader prior to getting my Kindle. Had the Sony had better contrast settings and been able to accomodate larger fonts....I would not have changed. While I truly love my Kindle...my Sony Reader was equally loved. If comparing the two side by side....I believe the Kindle has more checks in the Pro column that the Sony...but I never would have changed has the Sony been a workable solution. The Sony was available before the Kindle and that was the reason for my original choice.

I can list several reasons why the Kindle works better for me.

- I can enlarge the font.
- I dont have to store the pyhsical books.
- I can book shop 24 hours a day
- I can take several books when I travel
- I can hold the Kindle in one hand
- I can fit the Kindle in a pocket
- I can buy two best sellers for the price of one regular book
- I can store all of the books I have purchsed and read on Amazon's server
and recall them at any time.

This is a perfect option for me. Holding a physical book doesnt mean that much to me....and if it ever does...I can always buy a a regular book. I dont have to make a choice. I can have both.

Hope this helps.
It just keeps getting harder & harder...

My new iTouch arrived yesterday- I'm learning it's in & outs. The first thing I HAD to do was get the Kindle app. THe next thing to do was to get the sample of Kevin's referral "The List". I started reading it while I was on my treadmill last night - what a wonderful experience I've tried & tried to read a book while walking - next to impossible - trying to keep it open, trying to turn the pages - a disaster in so many ways.

Now I want a Kindle for sure. I've been toying with the idea for a while. So this morning, I see Kevin's post about how much he did like his Sony then minutes later I see on the CNN site that Sony is coming out with a new reader - TOUCHSCREEN - Like I said it just gets harder and harder

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #107
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
It just keeps getting harder & harder...

My new iTouch arrived yesterday- I'm learning it's in & outs. The first thing I HAD to do was get the Kindle app. THe next thing to do was to get the sample of Kevin's referral "The List". I started reading it while I was on my treadmill last night - what a wonderful experience I've tried & tried to read a book while walking - next to impossible - trying to keep it open, trying to turn the pages - a disaster in so many ways.

Now I want a Kindle for sure. I've been toying with the idea for a while. So this morning, I see Kevin's post about how much he did like his Sony then minutes later I see on the CNN site that Sony is coming out with a new reader - TOUCHSCREEN - Like I said it just gets harder and harder
I dont know if this will help or hinder you decision....

When Sony first released their Reader, it was series # 500.

They then released an upgraded version series 505. It had some neat upgrades, but they went from a black housing to a silver housing.. It was probably an optical illusion, but the silver housing made the reading background seem darker. The black housing made it seem lighter. Again....this could be my eyes playing tricks.

Their last version was the series 700. It had "side bar" lighting, touch screen page turning and other things. They were demo-ing it in BJs one day and a Sony rep told John (who was looking at it for me) that he wouldnt be happy with it. The screen had to be thicker to accommodate the touch screen feature which made the text less crisp. The side lighting was a joke and did very little. You can imagine if the Sony rep is telling you not to buy it.... Needless to say the series 700 has been pulled completely.

With that being said....I did see the info on the two new models being released soon. One is a smaller "pocket" sized reader ($199) and the other is a larger (Kindle sized) version with a Touch screen ($2.99). I would be leary until you do some research.

I would also explore both the Amazon Kindle book selection and the selection available of the Sony Library site. Keep in mind that the two formats are not interchangeable. If you buy a Kindle...you buy from Amazon. If you buy a Sony...you buy from Sony.

As I said earlier....I loved my Sony Reader....I just grew into a need for something with different options.

Just make sure you do your homework and choose carefully.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #108
sc9500
Hile... Gunslinger...

Im onboard with all the Ken Follet love -- a friend will be speaking with him this fall and I intend for him to ask if there's a 3rd book in Kingsbridge's future.
I hope this finds an american distributor http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/
Im also a sucker for anything Stephen King ( <--- see my tagline) and Koontz. Currently reading "World War Z" recently finished "The Road" and always reading the continuing Star Wars saga.

Deodorant people.. deodorant
sc9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #109
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I dont know if this will help or hinder you decision....

With that being said....I did see the info on the two new models being released soon. One is a smaller "pocket" sized reader ($199) and the other is a larger (Kindle sized) version with a Touch screen ($2.99). I would be leary until you do some research.

I would also explore both the Amazon Kindle book selection and the selection available of the Sony Library site. Keep in mind that the two formats are not interchangeable. If you buy a Kindle...you buy from Amazon. If you buy a Sony...you buy from Sony.

As I said earlier....I loved my Sony Reader....I just grew into a need for something with different options.

Just make sure you do your homework and choose carefully.

Good luck.
Well I've doing my research most of the day today. I found a lot of interesting information and some of the tech sites had a basic side by side comparison of the Sony vs. Kindle

After seeing the 2 pictured side by side - I'm going for the Kindle. I like the sleekness of the reader. I also especially like the Wi-Fi feature. The Sony is only USB. THe storage capacity is quite a bit larger on the Kindle also.

So, I just need to pay the credit card bill for the iTouch first and then it's in to the Kindle. At least I have the Kindle app...

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #110
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky441 View Post
At least I have the Kindle app...
I find that I love having both.

I take my Kindle when I know I will have time to read.

I love the Kindle app when I find myself with a few spare unexpected minutes to read.

The really cool thing is that they communicate and will help you find your last page read when you've used the other device.

Just awesome.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #111
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgp124 View Post
The Eyre Affair is the first. I particularly liked the next two books as well - Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots.
Thanks I don't have the 1rst one then , I have one of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain86 View Post
Getting back to your question about holding books as opposed to the kindle, this is one of the two reasons why I have yet to purchase one. The other reason is that I like keeping the books I have read almost like trophies. Once i get over these two things, the kindle has my name written alllllllll over it!
I'm the same...I love having a room with huge bookcases full of books

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneR View Post
This one sounds like a new one. She has read most of the other suggestions.

Thank you
Has she read the Kingdom Keepers?

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #112
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

I couldn't wait another day...I just ordered a Kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance3 :
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #113
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post
I couldn't wait another day...I just ordered a Kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dance3 :
You are going to LOVE it.

Congrats!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 AM   #114
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

I am currently reading The Last Days of the Incas by Kim Macquarrie. It has been a very interesting read; the story of conquistadors and the last emperors of the Incan empire.
I have quite a few books to choose from to read next (I use Paperback Swap and I have a Kindle) but I am leaning towards Honolulu by Alan Brennert. He is the same author that wrote the book Moloka'i, one of my favorite books ever. I agree with everyone that has also said that Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are great. They were fantastic reads and ones that I can't wait to revisit someday.
This was a great idea for a thread, I have really enjoyed reading about what everyone is reading and getting some ideas of books to look up.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #115
SarahinNO
Earning My Ears

Got my Kindle a couple weeks ago & LOVE it. Now I don't know how I lived without it. I tend to flit between a few books at the same time & the Kindle is perfect for that type of reader. Now the only problem is I want to purchase lots of books to fill up all the storage.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #116
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

[QUOTE=sc9500;33032788]Im onboard with all the Ken Follet love -- a friend will be speaking with him this fall and I intend for him to ask if there's a 3rd book in Kingsbridge's future.
I hope this finds an american distributor http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/QUOTE]

How incredibly awesome would it be if this became a TV show? I'd have to re-read Pillars all over again, but would have a blast doing so!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #117
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

How much do books generally cost when you have a kindle?
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #118
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
How much do books generally cost when you have a kindle?
Hi Michelle. The KindlePeeps can confirm but bestsellers are $9.99 and then it goes down to free from there.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #119
wiggles02
Mouseketeer

Some of my recent reads:
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham (Sophie Kinsella)
Hero Type by Barry Lyga (YA)
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Posney
Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall (Children's)

I've read quite a lot this year (like 70-yes I write them all down!). If anyone needs suggestions for their child or young adult, feel free to pm me. I'm a children's librarian
October 2005-SSR
May 2006-SSR,September 2006-CSR
May 2007-SOG,October 2007 -SSR
May 2008-SSR,June 2008-Hilton DTD
May 2009-CBR,Sept 2009-POFQ
May 2010-CSR,October 2010-CSR
May 2011-POFQ,October 2011-Marriott's Harbor Lake
May 2012-Disney Magic 5 Night Bahamas/Marriott's Harbour Lake
September 2012-Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas
May 2013 - Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas, Marriott's Cypress Harbour
wiggles02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #120
wtlivesey
GoofyGuyInDelaware

Just found a new author that I loved. Mark Gimenez. I read The Abduction, once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I read it in less then 24 hours, I have never done that with a 400 page book before. Might be tough for some due to it's subject matter, kidnapping, but I'll say it was very good and very unperdictable. Finished Thunderstruck just before that, by the author of the Devil in the White City, if you enjoyed Devil in the White City, you'll enjoy Thunderstruck, good way of intertwining historical events once again. Currently reading The Lottery, so far very entertaining.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: