Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #2011
DreaGirl
DIS Veteran

That does seem weird about the big tour, but live and learn. That is nice that the girls were able to play, too bad they couldn't take Luke. Was it the diaper thing?

Drea, DH, DD 8 y.o., DS 5 y.o.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #2012
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
We never did the DVC tour - we bought sight unseen last year, no regrets! (except I didn't get any FP"S...). Two of our neighbors are DVC, we talked to them a bunch, did a ton of online research (this is how I discovered the Dis!), spoke to our guide on the phone, watched the DVD at least 3 times, read the Dream book...etc etc. Anyhow - Welcome Home!!! We love it so far, only regret is not doing it sooner.
I still have not touched the DVD. I saw it tonight. Maybe some night coming up I will pop it in for a Disney fix!

I regret not going on a vacation with points sooner... a quick trip this fall or winter would have been nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
We bought sight unseen at Beach Club, then went down and did the tour, and bought Kidani. I really wanted those fast passes...
Those FPs are pretty costly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Trying to get caught up with all I missed while we were gone. I love seeing the great pictures of your smiling kids! All the matching dresses are cute!

Ariel is a favorite of Brooklynn, and we happened to be first in line to see her this trip. It was about ten till 9, and no one was in line yet, so we started a line.

We've done two Crystal Palace dinners, but not a breakfast yet. We will, though!

Glad to hear Hannah has a new love for an old Disney classic.

Back to the room for swimming and naps was pretty much a daily occurrence on this trip for the girls. You lose a lot of park time, but the relaxing is good for everyone. You just have to change you touring style with little ones or it'll be miserable for the whole group. Relaxing wasn't hard to do, either, when we were at the Wilderness Lodge!
MeMom we missed you! It is so different touring with little ones. Luke was a trooper but he is still a baby!

CP was awfully yummy for breakfast but we thought it was the best buffet for dinner we have done, so I am not sure which I loved more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaGirl View Post
That does seem weird about the big tour, but live and learn. That is nice that the girls were able to play, too bad they couldn't take Luke. Was it the diaper thing?
I think the diaper thing and the watching him factor. He would never have gone for it, but I fed him lunch during the presentation because we ran late, had a rotten diaper... you name it, it happened!
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #2013
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Wow, that whole process seemed a little crazy! i guess it is good for DVC to have all that traffic though! Obviously, it didn't affect you too much because you still bought in right! Glad the girls had fun too! Can't wait for more!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #2014
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

These were earlier pics from the morning...

I cannot say enough that CSR was beautiful. Great theming, beautiful pool area!

So we were headed back to HS for dinner at Mama Melrose. At this point we had decided a no to seeing Fantasmic, even with the dinner package. Crowded bus, three kids, strollers... it was all too much. Plus DH and I had plans for once we got back that night! Once again we had a sleeping kid- Emily. We had decided to not use our stroller rental for just a few hours, so we brought the two single strollers for the night, and Hannah walked. We walked by TSM.... over a two hour wait, no thanks and no FPS (on Sunday there were passes still available at this time). Therefore we could not use our FPs from the DVC tour--- so we would save them for MK the next day. We found it way way way more crowded today, probably due to Fantasmic that night!

A photo tour with Hannah....

We hoped to catch this ....

Broadway Bound.....

We made it back to Mama Melrose and were seated right away for our 4:15 ADR. We made it there just before it poured... it really let loose! Emily was tucked in a corner, sleeping in the stroller. Thank you Disney for letting us do this!

I must admit, this was not our best meal. It might have been since we had eaten a lot already that week, had a late lunch that day, and it took forever.

I ordered Charred Sirloin Steak- it was good. Since we had the Fantasmic dining package we all got appetizers too, I think everyone got a salad. By the time we ordered desserts my parents wanted the kid sundae. No big dessert, we were all stuffed. I got the warm truffle cake, it was yummy but I was not hungry either. At 5:30 DH and Hannah left, they wanted to catch the last Beauty and the Beast show at 5:45, so DH dessert was in a to go box.... we still were waiting. It was almost a two hour meal, and not that exciting. Along the way Em woke up and ate, and Luke fell asleep.

We paid and left, and it was still raining, somewhat hard. We made our way across to the muppet store and hung out there for a while. Finally it let up a bit, and we headed towards the Chinese Theatre to met DH and Hannah. We then split up again- we were going to take the girls to see the American Idol finale and my parents and Luke were going to Muppets. The finale was at 7, and yes we lined up early, almost 40 minutes and it was closed out crowded. Every seat full! I left my camera with my mom... sorry!

The waiting is passed by some live info on the singers, some taped footage, but all in all entertaining. The judges were funny, and the singers I thought were great. That night the ceo Bob Ieger was celebrating something (years at Disney/birthday) and he had the row behind us reserved, we were towards the top. It was funny to see this big group of dressed up people file in at the end to the reserved row.

It was fun, I admit I like the show and enjoyed this live version. I was very skeptical... but I am glad we went. I would love to know someone who auditioned and hear all about it!

After that, we called it a day. My parents were waiting for us outside, so we headed to the buses. It was sprinkling again boo! It really never stopped that night, so I wonder if they had Fantasmic?

Once we got back we got pjs on and tried to settle the kids for the night. DH and I wanted to borrow my parents car for a drive- we were headed to AKL/AKV to explore.

It was almost nine till we got away and we went to AKV first- boy are those roads dark, I guess for the animals. We talked to the CM at security.... and pulled into the parking garage underneath. We headed up the elevators, it was different. We made our way to the lobby, which is not impressive compared to stop two, but I am sure the daytime hours make a huge difference. We got lucky and the DVC rep took us to the model room there! WOW!!!! It was so awesome, even at night. We could see the animals on the savannah... sleeping. It was so peaceful, I felt millions of miles away from the parks and the bustle! The space was amazing too! We enjoyed it, and it was so much more real than the mock rooms (they look the same, but it was just real here).

Then we thanked the guide tons, checked out the store, the community hall, the restaurant, and finally what sealed the deal--- the pool area. It was so great, beautiful theme and just looked like tons of fun for our kids. We cannot wait to go back!

We got in our car and then made stop two- AKL. We had never been there, and since that is part DVC, we wanted to see what it looked like. I loved how the restaurants were tucked away, I saw Jackie's rocking chairs, loved the zero entry pool, visited Mara (should have used a snack credit for zebra domes- darn it), and just took it in. I cannot wait to take the girls back there and Luke. I am sure it is more impressive during the day.

I felt guilty not snapping some pictures, but it was dark and I am not sure what I would have gotten, next time for sure!

Back to the resort DH dropped me off, he headed to the main building to do some work- yikes and some DVC research!

I dreamt DVC dreams... and MK dreams- our last park day was tomorrow, highlighted with a lunch at the castle!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #2015
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

How awesome you got to see the AI finale show! We've been there twice but never for the evening showing! I'm sure when they start the show back up on TV they will talk about the Disney winners! Isn't the talent amazing?
So cool you and dh went over the Kidani and the Jambo to look around. We can't wait to see Kidani up close and personal in December! I would love for it to be warm enough to use the pool.
Another great update! Can't believe you are almost done with your trip, I still have 5 days to get through on my report.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #2016
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

We had similar "issues" with Henry during our DVC tour - ours took over 3 hours because we had so many questions and made the guide repeat himself on some topics so we REALLY got it. Dirty diapers, antsy, nap, snacks, juice, the whole thing! Made it a bit more difficult, but it was worth it!

I am THRILLED to hear of your description of Kidani! I am really looking forward to seeing that pool area. I think Henry is going to have a ball. I bet your girls are gonna just love it with all the splash areas like the fountains! And very soon Luke will be joining in!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #2017
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

Hannah looked so grown up in her pictures!!
Glad you and DH got to check things out without the kiddos
Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #2018
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

How exciting that you were able to get DVC! I would think that if you're a DVC owner, it makes going back to Disney that much easier. Hopefully, someday, we'll be able to buy into it.
Can't believe that your last day is coming this quickly! I have enjoyed how quickly you've done your report. Less wait time on the experience.

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #2019
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Hannah is too cute in her Zac Effron shirt!!! LOL!

I love hearing all about your DVC tour and visiting AKL/AKV! about "my" rocking chairs -- but I am more than willing to share with you!

Glad you were able to watch the American Idol finale -- that sounds fun!

Last edited by Charleston Princess; 08-06-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #2020
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

I think the limited Fantasmic shows are making a huge impact on crowds at DHS. We went on a Saturday and didn't have to wait for anything, except for TSM. I've read other TRs about visits on F! days and the park is crowded for the whole day. It really is a shame that Disney's limiting F! showings so much.

Cute, cute pictures of Hannah. She does look so grown up!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #2021
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

The pictures of Hannah were great. Sorry you weren't impressed by Mama Melrose's - it was the first dinner we had on our 2007 trip, and it was wonderful (made more so by the wonderful servers we had). I think I'm in the minority about this particular restaurant, though...

AKL sounds SOOOO nice! We'll have a car in June since we're driving, so maybe DH and I (or my mom, aunt, mother-in-law and sister-in-law and I) can do some resort hopping....

Can't wait to hear about the palace!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #2022
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
Wow, that whole process seemed a little crazy! i guess it is good for DVC to have all that traffic though! Obviously, it didn't affect you too much because you still bought in right! Glad the girls had fun too! Can't wait for more!
I think what was hard was it too longer. I asked how long the tour and stuff took and figured we could be done in less than three hours round trip, but that was not the case! The girls did not mind, but I knew we had an early ADR at HS to get to, and I wanted to go swimming, so much for an off morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
How awesome you got to see the AI finale show! We've been there twice but never for the evening showing! I'm sure when they start the show back up on TV they will talk about the Disney winners! Isn't the talent amazing?
So cool you and dh went over the Kidani and the Jambo to look around. We can't wait to see Kidani up close and personal in December! I would love for it to be warm enough to use the pool.
Another great update! Can't believe you are almost done with your trip, I still have 5 days to get through on my report.

I would recommend the last show, it was reallly fun. Although I would like to go earlier and see what it is like. I am wondering how much it will be talked up during IDOL in January--- we will see. I am sure Disney is hoping that someone makes it from their show to the top 16 or so.

I am so glad we went over to AKL and AKV. It sealed the deal, I just could not get it out of my head that we would do it... but I still did not think it would be this summer!

I hope the weather allows you to swim too, do you have a savannah view or what in Dec there?

I am getting this done before it gets crazy. I have a ton of stuff to do in the next two weeks, so finishing this would be one less thing on my plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
We had similar "issues" with Henry during our DVC tour - ours took over 3 hours because we had so many questions and made the guide repeat himself on some topics so we REALLY got it. Dirty diapers, antsy, nap, snacks, juice, the whole thing! Made it a bit more difficult, but it was worth it!

I am THRILLED to hear of your description of Kidani! I am really looking forward to seeing that pool area. I think Henry is going to have a ball. I bet your girls are gonna just love it with all the splash areas like the fountains! And very soon Luke will be joining in!

See I don't think I "got it"... the group setting and Luke did me in.

Kidani was so nice, so calm, so peaceful. Granted it was nightime, and it was not finished. I cannot wait to sit and watch animals with the kids! The pool area is perfect for Henry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon47142 View Post
Hannah looked so grown up in her pictures!!
Glad you and DH got to check things out without the kiddos
I felt rushed to get back to the natives, but I wish we would have looked around AKL longer and say had a Zebra Dome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmillercrew View Post
How exciting that you were able to get DVC! I would think that if you're a DVC owner, it makes going back to Disney that much easier. Hopefully, someday, we'll be able to buy into it.
Can't believe that your last day is coming this quickly! I have enjoyed how quickly you've done your report. Less wait time on the experience.
Really just one day left... but it probably will take two updates to get done. I figure three left total, and final thoughts.... and next trip info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Hannah is too cute in her Zac Effron shirt!!! LOL!

I love hearing all about your DVC tour and visiting AKL/AKV! about "my" rocking chairs -- but I am more than willing to share with you!

Glad you were able to watch the American Idol finale -- that sounds fun!

AI was super fun, I am glad we tried something new. I did not get to sit in your chairs... next trip. DH does not understand that I would really like to stay at AKL, he does not get our home is both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackearl View Post
I think the limited Fantasmic shows are making a huge impact on crowds at DHS. We went on a Saturday and didn't have to wait for anything, except for TSM. I've read other TRs about visits on F! days and the park is crowded for the whole day. It really is a shame that Disney's limiting F! showings so much.

Cute, cute pictures of Hannah. She does look so grown up!
It was way more crowded.... I am glad we went another day to really tour. I am sad no Fantasmic for us, but I know we will be back, and I think that my kids will really enjoy it when they are older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
The pictures of Hannah were great. Sorry you weren't impressed by Mama Melrose's - it was the first dinner we had on our 2007 trip, and it was wonderful (made more so by the wonderful servers we had). I think I'm in the minority about this particular restaurant, though...

AKL sounds SOOOO nice! We'll have a car in June since we're driving, so maybe DH and I (or my mom, aunt, mother-in-law and sister-in-law and I) can do some resort hopping....

Can't wait to hear about the palace!
It was not bad food, mine was really good. I think we were stuffed and had ate too much food from restaurants IMO. It seemed to take forever.... and the kids were just done sitting at meals, we had ate at LeCellier the night before, and that was another big people meal to them.

I had always wanted to tour AKL. I am so happy I finally checked it out.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #2023
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

We have a 2 br savannah view in December. I need to get online and see if we need to request any specific area for certain animals. I would sure like to wake up to giraffes!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #2024
MegansMom
Always Ready to Go Back with my "Minnie" Megan Mouse!

You said exactly what I have been thinking....that DHS is now PACKED on Fantasmic nights......but Tom is SO sold on the idea that he wants to take Megs.......so I guess we will be juggling crowds!!! UGH!!! Maybe in September it won't be as bad???? What do you think???

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #2025
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

I love the picture of your DH and Luke, both in light blue stripes!!

AKL is really wonderful, I keep going back there and we are all set to book it for January again!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: