Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #91
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
Kindle fans do you miss holding your book???
I, personally, dont miss holding a book.

I have never been a fan of paperback books. It seems that most of the books I gravitate towards tend longer. It seems I was always trying to crack the spine on a paperback to get it to open far enough to be readable.

For this reason, most of my reading has been in "hard cover" format.

Also....I rarely read in the typical reading position. I'm almost never sitiing in a chair with a book in my lap. I tend to read laying down....on my side...one leg over the arm of the chair....you get the idea.

I had not realized how difficult it is to hold a hard cover book when in one of these positions until I started reading on an ereader.You can turn the page with a touch of your finger. An ereader weighs less than most books. It is held in one hand.

Keep in mind that I started with the Sony Reader prior to getting my Kindle. Had the Sony had better contrast settings and been able to accomodate larger fonts....I would not have changed. While I truly love my Kindle...my Sony Reader was equally loved. If comparing the two side by side....I believe the Kindle has more checks in the Pro column that the Sony...but I never would have changed has the Sony been a workable solution. The Sony was available before the Kindle and that was the reason for my original choice.

I can list several reasons why the Kindle works better for me.

- I can enlarge the font.
- I dont have to store the pyhsical books.
- I can book shop 24 hours a day
- I can take several books when I travel
- I can hold the Kindle in one hand
- I can fit the Kindle in a pocket
- I can buy two best sellers for the price of one regular book
- I can store all of the books I have purchsed and read on Amazon's server
and recall them at any time.

This is a perfect option for me. Holding a physical book doesnt mean that much to me....and if it ever does...I can always buy a a regular book. I dont have to make a choice. I can have both.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #92
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneR View Post
I am really intersted in recommendations for 14 year old soon to be 15 years old girls. She loves Harry Potter, Twighlt, Little House, Clique, etc. I can't convince her just to grab books at the library that look interesting. No money lost if you decide you don't like the story.
My niece is 14 and she just got done reading The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies and loved it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014..._ya_oh_product
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #93
robertgp124
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis37862 View Post
What is the title of the first Thursday book? I want to read from the beginning , I hate to jump in the middle.
The Eyre Affair is the first. I particularly liked the next two books as well - Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #94
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I also truly, truly truly loved The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving.
What is that book about? I have not heard of it.

After I finish The Cider House Rules, I want to read all of the John Irving I have never read. He is absolutely brilliant. My favorite of his is A Prayer for Owen Meany. How does it compare to that one?

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #95
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthree View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only person reading the Sookie books. A friend got me hooked on them a few months ago, and I devoured all nine, then started watching True Blood on dvd, and am honestly thinking about going back and re-reading the books, in case I missed some details.
I love Sookie too! Haven't watched the series though. A little scared to ~ don't want to be disappointed.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #96
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorated_Dust View Post
What is that book about? I have not heard of it.

After I finish The Cider House Rules, I want to read all of the John Irving I have never read. He is absolutely brilliant. My favorite of his is A Prayer for Owen Meany. How does it compare to that one?
I'm not sure I can do it justice other than to suggest you read it.

If you are a fan of John Irving......I think you will like it.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #97
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I'm not sure I can do it justice other than to suggest you read it.

If you are a fan of John Irving......I think you will like it.
Okay, I definitely will. That's all I needed to know.

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #98
alabamagirl
I wish I may, I wish I might, on the first DOLE WHIP I see tonight

So far this summer I've read --

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...a classic. If you've not read it, you MUST.

The Lovely Bones...I liked this book and I've heard it is being made into a movie.

Just started The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman. Pretty interesting so far.

I've started a list with all of the wonderful books recommended here!
alabamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #99
splashmountain86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
WOW am I glad I stumble on this thread
Thanks splashmountian86 for starting it.

Kindle fans do you miss holding your book??
No problem! I want to thank the person that asked the "what are you reading?" question during the facebook to facebook email show, I am pretty sure that's what started all of this (and Kevin of course)!

Getting back to your question about holding books as opposed to the kindle, this is one of the two reasons why I have yet to purchase one. The other reason is that I like keeping the books I have read almost like trophies. Once i get over these two things, the kindle has my name written alllllllll over it!

PS. Kevin I really can't thank you enough for suggesting The Devil in the White City. I am on a family vacation, and I keep trying to come up with different excuses so that I can continue to read. I am hooked!

Spring 2004 - The Boardwalk
Summer 2008 - Walt Disney Dolphin
Spring 2009 - POP Century
Summer 2009 - Disneyland Hotel
splashmountain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #100
Tonya2426
Follow me to the next stop for a tasty treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain86 View Post
No problem! I want to thank the person that asked the "what are you reading?" question during the facebook to facebook email show, I am pretty sure that's what started all of this (and Kevin of course)!
You're welcome. I love to see what other people are reading so I asked the question. I haven't posted on this thread yet but I have been lurking.

Currently, I am reading World Without End by Ken Follett as suggested by Kevin many months ago. (I read Pillars also at his and Oprah's suggestion. And I ususally don't read Oprah's book selections.) Actually, I got WWE for Christmas but have been reading the Sookie series and Twilight series amongst lots of other things and finally got to WWE. I am enjoying it. Typically I read mostly historical romance (Regency and Highlands stuff) so it is nice to expand my horizons.

I'll have to go back through my night stand to see my recent reads. But I do remember that I read The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It was good. I didn't love it as much as the Twilight series though. I have a hard time reading scary or weird stuff or I will get nighmares. The Host has just enough weird stuff in it that it wigged me out and I had strange dreams. But also keep in mind that I am working my way through Wuthering Heights also and it gives me bad dreams too - I think it has to do with the characters being so hateful to each other that it just disturbs my subconscious too much. (Don't ask. . . . I've learned to just go along with my subconscious after all these years and not question it.)

DIS Unplugged Cruise - DCL Wonder 4 day - 12/12/10 ~WDW- Grand Floridian - July 2010 ~ABD Backstage Magic w/DIS Unplugged - 4/13/10 ~ WDW - Pop/Dolphin - Dec 2009- DAP ~ - WDW -Oct 2009 -F&W- SSR ~ DIS Unplugged Cruise - DCL Wonder 4 day - 5/10/09 ~ WDW - Pop - Dec 2008- Mousefest ~ WDW- DTD Hilton - Sept 18, 2008 -MNSSHP ~ WDW- Grand Floridian - July 2008 ~ WDW- ASSports/Swan- April 2008 ~ WDW - Pop - Dec 2007- MVMCP - WDW - Oct 2007 -MNSSHP- ASMusic ~ Surprise WDW Birthday Trip - August 2007 - PPP - SSR ~ DCL Wonder - 4 day - 5/27/07 ~ WDW - SOG - March 2007 ~ WDW - Marriott World Ctr- January 2007 ~ WDW - SOG - October 2005 ~ WDW - Grandma's House - April 2005 ~ Contemporary Resort Merchandise CM - 1989 ~ Lost count of WDW visits since Grandma lived in Orlando since before the park was opened and I was there the year the MK opened - they had a chance to purchase the original WDW stock but thought it was too risky so they turned it down - darn, I could have been an heiress
Tonya2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #101
Jacksmom99
Meredith's mom too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnninIowa View Post

All of Wally Lamb's books are wonderful: She's Come Undone, I Know This Much Is True, and The Hour I First Believed.
This Much I Know is True is my favorite book ever! The story line, characters...well it really moved me. I've read tons of books, but this is the first one ever to have such a profound impact on me. I highly recommend it!

I just finished Pillars of the Earth today, it was really good! It took me almost a week to read it because I cheaped out and bought the $7.99 paperback with the really teeny tiny print. I have also spent the summer re-reading the Twilight series. I need some lighter reading now after Pillar of the Earth, so I may start with the Janet Evanovich books next. I need some good vacation reading for my trip on the 16th!!!!!

I am so glad that we've all started talking about good books. I haven't watched TV at all this summer. It's been great, well except poor DH thinks he's being ignored because I sit in my room and read all night. Now if I can only get my kids into their summer reading books.

Kim
4/90 Off Site~8/96 Honeymoon BC~12/98 HH-1/99 OKW-pregnant~12/99-1/00 Off Site Jack's 1st trip~8/01 OKW & BWV & Off Site ~2/02 HH~8/02 BCV Meredith's 1st trip~11/02 BCV Girls' Weekend w/ Mom~8/03 VWL~8/04 BCV Big Family Trip!~2/05 Off Site-Liki Tiki~8/05 BCV Doherty Grand Gathering~2/06 VWL Just the 4 of Us!!~8/06 BWV 10th Anniversary/No Kids Trip!!!~2/07 OKW~5/07 OKW~8/07 BCV Nana, Mom & Meredith~4/08 OKW w/ Nana & Bampa ~12/08 OKW The X-mas Trip that almost wasn't ~8/09 Gaylord Palms, BCV, Swan Mom's trip with my boy!~CBR DAP 2009!!!!! ~12/09 Christmas @ BLT & OKW ~8/10 VB & OKW ~8/11 OKW 15th Anniversary!!
Jacksmom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:50 AM   #102
AnneR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
My niece is 14 and she just got done reading The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies and loved it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014..._ya_oh_product
This one sounds like a new one. She has read most of the other suggestions.

Thank you

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #103
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran

Wow, have I got alot of Saved for Later and sample downloads on my Kindle now - thanks, everyone!

Currently, I am re-reading the Harry Potter series - just something I do when a new movie comes out. I just finished HPB yesterday.

Some of my favorites:

Books I keep to read over and over:
Harry Potter series
Twilight series
Gone With the Wind
Shopaholic series
most anything by Nicholas Sparks
Anything by Nicholas Evans

Books that made me cry so much, I'll never see the movie:
A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans
Long Road Home by Danielle Steel (don't think this was a movie, but I was balling like a baby by page 3 and never stopped)

Others I've kept since getting my Kindle:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - this one was really hard to get into, but after about the first 50 pages, I couldn't put it down.
The DaVinci Code
Devil in the White City
wildfan1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #104
dgthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsrtw View Post
I love Sookie too! Haven't watched the series though. A little scared to ~ don't want to be disappointed.

The series is actually fun, but it's not the same as the books. But its so well done that you probably wouldn't be disappointed. I do find myself thinking well, that's not in the book a lot. As long as you keep in mind that the series is based on the books, it's easier to wrap your mind around. Most of the characters are nothing like I'd pictured them, though. Ah well... I'll cope.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #105
DISNEYNV
Cats don't talk

This thread has inspired me to pick up a book! I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and got The Art of Racing in the Rain. It was a toss up between this and Water for Elephants, but so far I have to say this book is pure genius! The dog as first person is a great read so far...can't wait to read more! Great thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: