Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #76
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Just to put something in here too, if anyone has a teenager, "Thirteen Reasons Why" is a GREEEEATTT book. I'm thirty one and I read it and loved it. It's about a boy who gets 13 tapes from a girl at his school who has committed suicide. Each tape is one of the "reasons" why (but it's actually for one of the people who has done something to her). It's a hard subject, but I think all teens should read it so they understand that even the smallest things have consequences to people.
lttlmc3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #77
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Has anyone ever read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? They are very quirky, but an excellent escape. I just loved them. Thursday is a special ops literary "police woman" with the ability to go to the "book world" where the characters live when they are not being read. They are really fun reads, especially if you are like me and always secretly suspected there really is a whole other world where characters from books live.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #78
AnneR
DIS Veteran

Love hearing what everyone is reading. I am kind of in between here. I don't want anything that takes concentration so I am reading what I call my nonsense books - Nora Roberts (she lives not too far from me) the Stephanie Plum series, catching up.

I am really intersted in recommendations for 14 year old soon to be 15 years old girls. She loves Harry Potter, Twighlt, Little House, Clique, etc. I can't convince her just to grab books at the library that look interesting. No money lost if you decide you don't like the story.

Do you think she is too young for Jodi Picoult. She wants to read My Sister's Keeper. I find her books good but hard reading. They really touch you.

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #79
Reifsy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneR View Post

Do you think she is too young for Jodi Picoult. She wants to read My Sister's Keeper. I find her books good but hard reading. They really touch you.
I think she would be fine with them. My daughter is 13 and she has read a few of her books (My sister's Keeper, Handle With Care, probably others as well) and she loves them. I am pretty sure she told me that Jodi Picoult is her new favorite author.
Reifsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #80
willis37862
Captain Jack is still my fave JD character
My drool bucket over runth
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Has anyone ever read Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series? They are very quirky, but an excellent escape. I just loved them. Thursday is a special ops literary "police woman" with the ability to go to the "book world" where the characters live when they are not being read. They are really fun reads, especially if you are like me and always secretly suspected there really is a whole other world where characters from books live.
I have read the 4th bear and I thought it was pretty good..very unique. I want to check out more of his books.

Quote:

I am really intersted in recommendations for 14 year old soon to be 15 years old girls. She loves Harry Potter, Twighlt, Little House, Clique, etc. I can't convince her just to grab books at the library that look interesting. No money lost if you decide you don't like the story.

Has she read Inkheart ? Or The Alchemist {Secrets of Nicholas Flamel} by Michael Scott ? I thought they were both pretty good and both are series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Fiished The List last night.

I enjoyed this one.

Cant decide whether to start The Help or Water for Elephants.
I loved Water for Elephants...couldn't put it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reifsy View Post
I have just finished reading Lamb by Christopher Moore. It is now one of my favorite books ever. Absolutely hilarious, in my opinion anyhow. I am just starting 1776 by David McCullough. Seems interesting so far but I am not far into it yet.
I am reading my first Christopher Lamb book right now. You suck It was been really good...love his humor. We have an awesome used book store close by and I am going to check for more of his books...any recommendations for which one to read of his next ?

They can't hit ya ~ Bob Varley
Nichole
willis37862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #81
tea pot
DIS Veteran

WOW am I glad I stumble on this thread
Thanks splashmountian86 for starting it.

I just returned to reading for enjoyment and started to think that I should read some of the classics that I have never read. But on the light summer side, I just finished Dewey the Small Town Library Cat by Vicki Myron sweet book esp. if you are a cat lover, true story. mainegal (you'll love this) It made me want to go back to the library and I just did. Reactivated my card and I'm all set to go.

Someone asked about The Shack. I've read it and I can tell you that it is a very powerful book. A bit intense in the beginning but well worth reading.

Kindle fans do you miss holding your book???

thanks all
LOve LOve this thread !

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep

Last edited by tea pot; 08-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.
tea pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #82
AnneR
DIS Veteran

Has she read Inkheart ? Or The Alchemist {Secrets of Nicholas Flamel} by Michael Scott ? I thought they were both pretty good and both are series.

Inkheart - yes. I will need to check on the Alchemist.

Thanks for the feedback on Jodi Picoult

June 2009 POFQ March 2009 POFQ Oct 2008 ASSports Aug 2008 POFQ\CBR
AnneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #83
Plutes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
To be completely honest, I do from time to time. That's why I tend to go back and forth - one book on the kindle, one from the library, etc. etc. This way you have the best of both worlds.

But, reading on the Kindle is a lot more pleasant than I thought it would be. It's so lightweight and easy to take ANYWHERE with you. I love it, and couldn't live without it at this point!

Plutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #84
Reifsy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis37862 View Post

I am reading my first Christopher Lamb book right now. You suck It was been really good...love his humor. We have an awesome used book store close by and I am going to check for more of his books...any recommendations for which one to read of his next ?
You will probably also like A dirty Job it has some characters from You Suck that appear throughout the story. My other personal favorites so far are Lamb, and The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. I am about to start reading Fluke, so I will let you know on that one.
Reifsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #85
willis37862
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reifsy View Post
You will probably also like A dirty Job it has some characters from You Suck that appear throughout the story. My other personal favorites so far are Lamb, and The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. I am about to start reading Fluke, so I will let you know on that one.
Thanks I didn't know A Dirty Job had some of the same characters , will be sure to look for that one next then. I saw the stupidest angel one at the store and thought it looked interesting. If the next book I read of his is as good as this one I am hooked! Thanks for the info!

Nichole
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #86
willis37862
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
That's what I wondered too. I like physically holding books....I don't know if I would like looking at the screen instead.

Nichole
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #87
robertgp124
DIS Addict

Quote:
On another thread someone mentioned Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series (earlier this year, maybe last summer). The books were raved about on that thread, and as a result, we bought the first. It was unbelievably good. Wound up buying the entire series.

If you were the person that originally recommended them, DW and I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Oh and regarding the Kindle question - you actually forget about the device in short order. I think Kevin described it one time as though the device simply faded into your hand. It's easy to forget it's there.

Last edited by robertgp124; 08-04-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: edited to add comment about the Kindle
robertgp124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #88
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]I am really intersted in recommendations for 14 year old soon to be 15 years old girls. She loves Harry Potter, Twighlt, Little House, Clique, etc. I can't convince her just to grab books at the library that look interesting. No money lost if you decide you don't like the story.COLOR]
If she likes the Little House books, she might like the Anne of Green Gables series. I read these in my 20's and really liked them; it's a great series and not too difficult to read.
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #89
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgp124 View Post
On another thread someone mentioned Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series (earlier this year, maybe last summer). The books were raved about on that thread, and as a result, we bought the first. It was unbelievably good. Wound up buying the entire series.

If you were the person that originally recommended them, DW and I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Oh and regarding the Kindle question - you actually forget about the device in short order. I think Kevin described it one time as though the device simply faded into your hand. It's easy to forget it's there.
Yep, I think that was me, I remember bringing them up on another book thread. I recommend them to as many people as possible, so Jasper will keep writing the Thursday books. I've read The Fourth Bear and the other 2 outside the Thursday Next series, but they aren't as good. I love Thursday. I remember when I bought The Eeyre Affair, I thought I would hate it, but I went out and bought the rest of the series like you did. So clever.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #90
willis37862
Stalking pirate

Quote:
Yep, I think that was me, I remember bringing them up on another book thread. I recommend them to as many people as possible, so Jasper will keep writing the Thursday books. I've read The Fourth Bear and the other 2 outside the Thursday Next series, but they aren't as good. I love Thursday. I remember when I bought The Eeyre Affair, I thought I would hate it, but I went out and bought the rest of the series like you did. So clever.
What is the title of the first Thursday book? I want to read from the beginning , I hate to jump in the middle.

Nichole

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: