Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #31
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I haven't posted a reply here yet (partially because Kevin replied and I didn't want him to say that I'm a stalker again), but wanted to say that the large print materials in our library headquarters is both painfully dated and virtually non-existent. In schools, it's even worse. I love the fact that we can get audio versions of books for our special education students. It really makes a difference assisting with their special needs.

As far as what I am reading right now, I just started Jane Green's Beach House. I'm not very far into it as I coming down off of a chunk of time reading Janet Evanovich night and day. I read the first three books and they got better each time. I can't wait to get into the fourth, but bought a few books earlier in the summer and really need to get to them first.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 08-03-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: MAJOR typo!
*NikkiBell* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #32
adsrtw
DIS Veteran

I forgot to add earlier that I did pick up Julie and Julia today at my local bookstore. I remember being blown away by Julia Child when I was a kid. I love her accent. I have a few books in line before I can get to it, but I will have it finished before I see the movie.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #33
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Have you posted on the All About The Mouse discussion forums regarding the reading being done by Disers?
Oh, Kevin!

I listen to lots of podcasts (not all are Disney).
But Disboards are my ONLY discussion forums!

Just thought it was great that the same day I listen to AATM and hear Jonathan talk about his favorite books, I come to thte DIS and find a book club.

I think maybe Jonathan was only going to talk about Disney books.
The DIS book club is going to be more all-encompassing, I can tell already it is going to be fantastic!

My favorite books are non-fiction. Nothing beats real life. Example - Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storn. Into the Wild. Three Cups of Tea. Anthony Bourdain's food books.

The night before Mom's memorial service, I returned her library books. Over two dozen books, all non-fiction on a wide variety of topics. Like mother, like daughter.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #34
splashmountain86
Mouseketeer

I am so excited to see some many posts and so many great reviews of books i might have never given a second glance at my local book store! .

It is also cool to see a few people that enjoy Anthony Bourdain's books as much as I do. I am taking my time with his last work of non fiction, The Nasty Bits, because I have become so attached to his style of writing. Has anyone read his works of fiction? I believe they are titled "Gone Bamboo" and "Bone in Throat"

I was just at this store in martha's vineyard that carries a bunch of nic-naks and a few books, and I came across a thin book of poetry entitled "Natural History". The pieces are written by Dan Chiasson, a poet I had never heard of before today, and I was quite pleased with what I read. Perhaps it's the style I am so attracted to, but I would reccommend this book to anyone that has a love for poetry.

Spring 2004 - The Boardwalk
Summer 2008 - Walt Disney Dolphin
Spring 2009 - POP Century
Summer 2009 - Disneyland Hotel
splashmountain86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #35
LovesThumper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
Aaaahhhh, Kevin. This came up in chat a while ago.

Keep on reading, however you do it.
And don't forget audiobooks - it is great to have someone read to you!
You cannot believe how wonderful audio books are. I drive most of the time and talk radio makes me crazy. Audio books are such a boon. I live in a very small town, but my library can get me any hard cover or audio book that I want. I feel about libraries how many of my friends feel about shopping. I enter the building and feel the world is at my fingertips.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #36
aggielawyer
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Isaac's Storn.
Interesting...I never thought I'd run into someone else who'd read that. Windows of Heaven was another book about the 1900 hurricane, but was a fictionalized account. I also really enjoyed Three Cups of Tea.

I'm dying to know what happens in Echo in the Bone, especially since I heard that an important character dies.

BC 2/12 * Pop 2/11 * Pop 9/09 * BC 12/08 * BC 12/99

aggielawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #37
tlcoke
DIS Veteran

I have read several good book in the last few years:

The entire Left Behind Series by Jerry B Jenkins & Tim LeHaye there are 16 books total in the series.

Soon Trilogy by Jerry B Jenkins (3 books)

Apocalypse Military Left Behind Series by Mel Odom (4 books)

Left Behind End of State Political Series by Nessa Hart (3 books)

NCIS Series by Mel Odom - (3 Books)

The Last Jihad Series by Joel C Rosenberg (5 books total)

If you are interested in the Current Political state of the Middle East, Joel has a couple of non-fiction books based on his expertise on being a Communications Strategist for Benjamin Netanyahu, Former Israeli Prime Minister and as a consultant to several top government and business leaders.

Epicenter by Joel C Rosenberg

Inside the Revolution by Joel C Rosenberg (this is his newest book, I haven't read it yet but will be reading it soon)

I am currently reading:
Marley & Me by John Grogan
Creating Magic by Lee Cockerell
Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #38
tggrrstarr
DIS Veteran

Listening to (from my library!) Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella - not too far yet, so far its not bad.
Reading on my Kindle app Magic Kingdom for Sale- Sold! by Terry Brooks. Just started it, but I have read the Shannara Series by him and loved them.

I usually stick to mystery or sci-fi, but I have read Return to Summerhouse recently by Jude Deveraux (sequel to the Summerhouse). I really enjoyed both of these books. Not too much romance, more about the story.

October 2005-Caribbean Beach-Honeymoon*1/07 Pop Century
9/08 Pop Century*10/09 All Star Music*1/11 All Star Music*1/12 French Quarter & Western Magic*1/13 French Quarter*10/13 Grand Floridian & Eastern Fantasy
tggrrstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #39
wtlivesey
GoofyGuyInDelaware

Quote:
Go to your local library. So many great books to read! So many great books you willnot have to read and store!

BTW - Jonathan Dichter on All About the Mouse podcast has recently re-discovered his library card and is loving his public library.
I totally agree, I was buying books constantly, and my DW suggested that I go to the library, it right around the corner from our house. It with the storage issue. I just recently got back into reading, for a long time I just didn't have the time, I 've started making time, every night after house work and dinner, instead of watching television I find myself reading. Check out your local library it may have what we have here in Delaware, you can reserve what you want online and they will either call you or email when it's in and give you five days to pick it up, I find myself going through 2-3 books a week now.

Thanks to who ever started this thread, really getting some great books to read!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #40
UrsulasShadow

I'm digging the cistern now..Oh, WIILL

Location: Under Plymouth Rock...crawling out for the occasional lobstah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I'm currently reading The List by J.A Konrath.

Unfortunately, this is currently only available to folks with a Kindle. It's a self-published book and the author is hoping that good "word of mouth" will help it find an audience.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

All queued up and ready to go are...

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson - This is a world wide phenomenon. Best seller almost everywhere.

Let the Great World Spin by Colum Mccann - About NYC in the 70's

The Doomsday Key by James Rollins

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This one comes HIGHLY recommended.

I'll let you know.
Time to read??? Who has time to read???

But because I have that Kindle app on my iPhone, I picked up The List today and sneakily started reading it at my day job...I'm several chapters into it and I'm intrigued!

Hope I find time to finish it. Love my Kindle app!
UrsulasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #41
aggielawyer
DIS Veteran

Is it ok to plug www.paperbackswap.com on here? I joined a few months ago and have absolutely loved it. You get a credit every time you mail a book to someone else, then you can spend that credit to have a book sent to you. I've been able to clean out my shelves of things I'm not going to read again, and get some things that I've really been wanting to read. You have to pay to mail the book, which is usually $2.38 or a little more if the book is heavier. If you decide to join, you can use me as a referral and I will get a free credit once you post your first 10 books. Mods, if this crosses a line, please edit.

BC 2/12 * Pop 2/11 * Pop 9/09 * BC 12/08 * BC 12/99

aggielawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #42
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesThumper View Post
I live in a very small town, but my library can get me any hard cover or audio book that I want. I enter the building and feel the world is at my fingertips.
This is true in just about any library.
In most cases (but not all), your taxes pay for the library. You might as well get your money's worth from your taxes. The police and fire department are there when you need them, much better to need and use your library!
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #43
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I'm completely hooked on audio books since with the orchard I can pretty much listen all day long!! No time in my life right now to pick up the printed word but audio has helped me knock out several stories. Right now I'm reading the Time Travelers Wife and loving it....great narration!

Lee Cockerell's Creating Magic was great to listen to in his own voice and I managed to get through both Ken Follet's Pillar's of the Earth and World Without End. Audio has let me "read" about 12 books since April!

Absolutly on pins and needles waiting for Diane Gabaldon's new book to hit stands.....no audio for that one....that one I must hold in my hands.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #44
robertgp124
DIS Addict

Quote:
This is true in just about any library.
In most cases (but not all), your taxes pay for the library. You might as well get your money's worth from your taxes. The police and fire department are there when you need them, much better to need and use your library!
I so agree. We live in a small community (less than 20K). The library receives very little support from the state. There is a small tax levy that was specifically passed by the local community to support the library. DW is legally blind and needs large print and audio books. The local library is super about getting stuff to her. If they don't have the large print edition, they'll see if they can find it. If an audio is available, they'll try for that, too.

You'd think with all the requests DW bombs them with (she is a voracious reader) that the librarians would groan when they see her coming. Nope. When I go in by myself (without her), they always ask after her. It great.

DW also deals specifically with the state library commission (for the blind). In this era of budget cuts, we were startled when they emailed the other day and noted that she was an excellent patron. They offered her a Victor Reader, which replaces the 4 track tape player that had been previously used.

We have a Kindle and a subscription to audible. We're very lucky to have both - but we're even luckier to have such great librarians (and people who support the local library!)!

Give your local library a try - you may be surprised!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #45
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsulasShadow View Post
Time to read??? Who has time to read???

But because I have that Kindle app on my iPhone, I picked up The List today and sneakily started reading it at my day job...I'm several chapters into it and I'm intrigued!

Hope I find time to finish it. Love my Kindle app!
I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I'm very much enjoying it.

It's a very clever premise and I think it will find an audience.

I'd recommend it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: