Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #31
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

The Cast:

First, the star of the show and the birthday girl:

She loves the princesses and just about anything fun.

This is also DD's first trip to WDW.

One more:

Second, DW (and company, not visible in this picture):

DW is excited about the trip, although I don't think she's quite as excited as DD and I. She's also pregnant with our son and due in November. DW thinks she'll be fine with walking and such during the trip. Obviously she'll be missing out on some rides, but the only one I think she's bummed out about is KS.

DW's only been to WDW once for a full trip and spent a day there when her and I were both in the LSU Tiger Marching Band (more on this trip later perhaps).

Third, myself:

I think I started getting a Disney obsession in high school, when the high school band took a trip to Disney World every other year. I've been on 5 full trips to WDW and the one-day trip mentioned above at LSU. One day I want to stay in the Contemporary Tower with an MK view, but we'll see.

I bought a new camera a few months ago, and since then I've been learning how to use it. Hopefully I've been behind it enough now to be able to get some pretty good pictures at WDW. Going to try my luck on the dark rides, and hopefully I can get the fireworks figured out when I'm there. If you'd like, you can take a look through my Flickr account (in signature) to see some of the pictures I've been taking.

Next, DM (DD calls her Grammy):

DF (DD calls him Pops):

Finally, DS (DD sometimes calls her Ya-Yas)

When the three of them heard we were going to WDW, they jumped on board. When DS and I were little, we went to WDW with our parents and grandparents, so it makes sense (to me at least) that they're coming too. Besides, we have 5 adults to attempt to corral one little girl. That should be enough, right?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #32
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a divergent path of thought. Next stop, the Offtopic Zone!

So I just have to get this off my chest. Don't bother going to see the new Harry Potter movie in 3D. Only the first 15 minutes are in 3D. The rest of the movie I was wondering when we'd put the glasses back on, but it never happened. I was quite annoyed that I paid extra to go see the 3D version (it's IMAX 3D, so all was not lost on the extra cost).

While I'm talking about the movie, if you've read the book prepare for some disappointment. I know we're trying to squeeze a large book into a 2-2.5 hour timeframe, but the ending compared to the book left a LOT to be desired.

Whenever Universal finally opens the HP attraction, I can see us at some point heading down there for a day to see it. A day is probably all we'll really need though; on the same band trip we spent a day in MK, we spent about the same amount of time the next day at IoA, and we hit just about every ride while we were there. More on that MK day later perhaps.

I'm yawning a lot, so it's time for me to get to bed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #33
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I'm in for this report! Sounds like a great itinerary and or DD is adorable! Love the photo of her at the baseball game.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #34
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Two things...

1. Hopefully by the end of the week we'll have our very own Pal Mickey. Paid a little more on eBay than I would have preferred, but I had planned to buy one in the parks when I was first working on this trip. I think DD will enjoy it.

2. I've been reading through a thread about a program called RideMax. Thinking of giving it a shot for this trip. Any thoughts? If I do use it, I probably won't use it for all day every day.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #35
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
I'm in for this report! Sounds like a great itinerary and or DD is adorable! Love the photo of her at the baseball game.
Thanks for stopping by! The baseball game photo is one of my favorite pictures. Pictures like that one are the reason I like my Sigma 30mm so much.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #36
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

I decided to give RideMax a shot last night. I was impressed with its schedules; my wife saw what I was doing and said "So now you're planning every minute of the trip?" So I explained to her what it was doing, and I think she's more on-board with it now.

Overall, I like it. There was one issue with putting Kilimanjaro Safaris at the end of our day at AK, but over in the RideMax thread they gave me a couple of workarounds. I do wonder how much we're going to stick to these schedules, though.

In unrelated news, I found out how to stream DISRadio to my iPhone, so I'm listening to it right now. Tapestry of Dreams is playing at the moment.

The countdown is down to 33 days! On Friday, I'm going to unveil the 30-day countdown calendar. Hopefully Pal Mickey will be here by then too. I also have a Gorillapod (flexible tripod for the camera) on the way. I got the "SLR-Zoom" version because it supported more weight.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #37
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Today the mailperson (I honestly don't know if it's a man or a woman) delivered a special surprise for DD. Of course, everyone on here already knew what it was...

That's right, it's Pal Mickey! He's a HCOE version, but didn't come with his tuxedo jacket. Liking him so far; DD has babies on the brain, and our new changing table came today that needs to be put together, so she was asking to put the changing table together because "baby brother" (Mickey) has a stinky diaper. The things this girl comes up with!

She wasn't very cooperative for these pictures, but I did manage to get a good one.

That's all for tonight; our 30 day countdown calendar starts Friday. I'll hopefully get a picture or two from her looking at the calendar.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #38
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Love the pre trip report. Sounds like you are a super planner. I adore the count down calendar. Even though I'm under 30 days I might have to steal that one from you. I could hang it on my desk as motivation for just a few more weeks to make it thru the rough days.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #39
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
Love the pre trip report. Sounds like you are a super planner. I adore the count down calendar. Even though I'm under 30 days I might have to steal that one from you. I could hang it on my desk as motivation for just a few more weeks to make it thru the rough days.
Welcome! The countdown calendar was unveiled tonight. DD liked it, but not exactly in the way you'd think. More on this later after I get the pictures on my computer.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #40
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

awww yay for Pal Mickey arriving!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Alright, yesterday started the 30 day countdown!

Here's DD looking at the first calendar page:

Now, you would think she would get all excited just from the castle picture and the countdown. She was mildly amused until she saw (and you can barely see it even in the large size) that Aurora was in the picture. Then she starts exclaiming "There's Aurora! And her prince! And..." She proceeded to point out everything in the picture at this point, all because of Aurora being in it. Now on the actual calendar, Aurora is about 1.5 centimeters tall. I didn't even notice Aurora was in the picture until she pointed it out. The things kids notice!

Anyway, today obviously is 29 days until we leave. We got our Disney mail today! ME tags, luggage tags, everything's here. Now just about all we need to do is get through the next 4 weeks.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #42
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Maybe I'm a little late to this party, but I was trying to look up online what the current Precious Moments theme park exclusive figurine was. My DW loves Precious Moments, so I was looking to show her what it was. I think it's the Mickey with a boy with the YOMAD ears on. Anyway, in addition to finding that, I found this link:

http://www.preciousmoments.com/content.cfm/wdw_sept

Turns out, they're releasing new figurines our last full day! Looks like these figurines will be holiday-themed.

Now, according to this link (never heard of Stitch Kingdom, so I'm not really sure how reliable this information is), the master designer is going to be at Uptown Jewelers from 11-1. Well, we were planning to be in MK anyway, how perfect is that? Someone's probably going to have to hang out there with all the PM maniacs early, but hopefully we can pick up one of the theme park exclusive figurines. All the other ones you can find at Hallmark.

27 days and counting!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #43
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I've been eyeing the PM Disney collection but I've been trying to convince myself that I do NOT need another thing to collect! They're adorable though. Perfect timing that they're releasing new ones when you're down there!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #44
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
I've been eyeing the PM Disney collection but I've been trying to convince myself that I do NOT need another thing to collect! They're adorable though. Perfect timing that they're releasing new ones when you're down there!
Don't do it!

In actuality, we only have a few of the figurines. We have the original theme park exclusive with a boy and a girl sitting on a bench eating ice cream with a Mickey balloon, the one with the girl holding Tinkerbell, the one with the girl playing with a Sleeping Beauty doll and on the table is Sleeping Beauty Castle (got that one at Disneyland), and the bride and groom with the Mickey ears veil hat and the Mickey ears top hat.

So this one will only be our 5th. That's not too bad, right?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #45
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Welcome to hurricane season...

We're three weeks out today, and the tropics have decided to remind us that it's the time of year for storms. Fortunately, the storms out there right now shouldn't be affecting much. Indications right now are that Ana will fizzle out, Bill is looking to turn north, and the depression in the Gulf is going to head into the Florida panhandle, probably as a low tropical storm.

Hopefully the tropics will calm down, and we won't have any trouble with hurricanes in a few weeks.

DD's had trouble with hurricanes around her birthday. She was born about a week after Katrina (we were living in Baton Rouge) and we had my parents, sister and grandparents all in the house with us. Was very helpful at the time, though. Last year, Gustav messed up her birthday party in Baton Rouge and we didn't go. We went to New Orleans before Ike hit Houston, and we had a birthday party for her then.

So here's hoping for good weather in 3 weeks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: