Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
tastycollector
Mouseketeer

Devon's Adventure in Disneyland!

Day 1

Ok, so DH and I were still up packing at 2:30am ! Grandpa came and took us to the airport at 4:30 am. Devon was super excited! This was the first time he had really been at the airport and was his first time to fly. He even got to meet the pilots!

The sunrise and mountains were beautiful. My favorite part was on our second leg of the flight when Dev and DD9 fell asleep on each other on the plane.

We landed at John Wayne airport around 10:30 am. We got our car and checked in to the hotel. The hotel was RIGHT across the street. We were less than 3 blocks from the gates! We unpacked and napped.

There is an area called Downtown Disney, which is between the 2 Disney parks and houses the Disney Hotels, that is full of great shops. Devon wanted to go check out the Lego store. We had lunch at one of the shops and looked around. The World of Disney store was really cool. Devon loved all the different sculptures that they have of Disney characters. He was running through the store pointing out each of the characters! While there, we met a young cast member who was talking to Devon about his mask. It turns out the young man suffers from SCIDS (bubble boy) and had had a bone marrow transplant when he was younger. He was super excited that Devon was there on a wish trip. He was the one who gave us our 1st Visit buttons. Then it was down to the Lego store! It was super "WICKED" according to Devon. He couldn't decided what he wanted to look at...Darth Vader, Star Wars Legos, Bionicles, City Legos, etc. It was a little boys heaven.

On the walk back to the hotel, Devon found people to trade pins with!!! He traded at least 40 the first night and we weren't even in the parks! He couldn't help himself. He wanted to see everyone's pins.

That night KWN had dinner planned for us at Benihana. Devon loves eating with chop sticks, but thought the Mickey Mouse made from the fried rice was the best. He fell asleep in the middle of dinner. As we were leaving, the fireworks over Disneyland began. We could see them from the restraunt and from our hotel room. We went back to hotel and everyone had sweet dreams of the magic to come the next day.

Thank you Kids Wish Network for granting Dev's wish to ride the Indiana Jones rollercoaster and to go see legos!

Pre-trip Report
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2114367

Trip Report-Devon's Adventures in Disneyland
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32950347
Old 08-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
myasma
Mouseketeer

Great start to your trip. Sounds like you guys had alot of fun.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Dizney_Luver
Mouseketeer

I'm in !

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
MickeyisBeast
Some people just don't understand what Mr. Tom Morrow meant to me
I think you need some ICE for that burn!
This is sooo Tinsel

I'm in! Great start!

1999-Day Trip // 2000-Day Trip // 2002-Day Trip // 2006-Offsite // 2008-Contemporary // 2009-All Star // 2009-Polynesian // 2009-POR
// 2010-Coronado // 2010-Pop Century // 2010-Grand Floridian // 2011-CBR+Polynesian // 2012-Pop Century // 2012-Contemporary

Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
tastycollector
Mouseketeer

Day 2

So, Day 2 started great. The weather in CA in July was great for us. It was about 80 degrees the whole time we were there. A wonderful change from the 103-107 here in central TX.

We got up about 9am and went to the McDonalds in the hotel parking lot. We split some breakfast food and made sure everyone started the day with a good breakfast. Then it was 2 blocks to the front gate.

When we got to the gate, we went to the Guest Relations office and decived our tickets and Devon's GAC card. It had a stop light with the bottom light colored in with RED. We would learn just how special this was in days to come. Devon also recieved his invitation to the Wish Lounge. Then it was into Disneyland.

Due to the smog and number of people Devon wore his mask except when we were taking character pictures. Everyone loved that his masks have the "Fab Five" on them.

As we went through the front gates, I grabbed a map of the park so that I could mark our adventures down as we did them. It has been a great help in remembering what order we did things.

First, we rode the horse-drawn street car to Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Our horse's name was Holly. The first ride Devon spotted was Alice in Wonderland. He was ready to start riding! We gave him his GAC pass and sent him off to the Cast Member at the ride. Once they saw his card, they had us on the very next car. It was a great first ride! Then it was the Mad Tea Party. The kids were screaming for dad to turn us faster and faster! Next was the Storybook Land Canal Boats, followed by a trip to the Princess Fantasy Faire . We stopped for a snack. I LOVE the health kids snakcs. We got one for Devon and his sister to share. I also got one of the sugar cookie kits. After we had all eaten, we divided the castle cookie in two. The boys got the blue icing and 4 sugar decoractions and we girls got the pink icing and 4 sugar decorations. My favorite pictures are of DH, DD9, and Dev all eating their cookies together! They had so much fun doing this with DH. We got to met 3 of the princesses. Then we went and rode It's a Small World! The kids loved it and were singing before we even got on the ride.

We then ventured into Mickey's Toontown. Devon loved playing in everything! The Pound, the Post Office, the strange door at the Electric Company, and then Goofy's Gas Station, Devon couldn't get enough! Then it was off to the first rollercoaster for the kids! We rode Gadget's Go Coaster! Devon loved it !! DD9 had other thoughts ! Devon then did some more character meets. : and and and Devon's favorite of all, ! Then we caught the train to Main Street and went to the Wish Lounge!

It was time for a rest! At the wish lounge, Devon was able to streach out on a couch for a well needed rest. There were snacks, cold drinks, and a movie to watch. The kids got to kick off their shoes for a while and chill. We also met Ms. Laura, who is in charge of the Wish Lounge during the week. She gave Devon and the rest of the family Genie Buttons to wear. She also made some special arrangements for some of the parades and shows that Devon and his sister wanted to see.

After Devon's rest, he wanted to go through Sleeping Beaty's Castle. He loved the art work and knew it was something DD9 really wanted to do ! He knows that Sleeping Beauty is he favorite princess. Then it was back to meet some more princesses and back on It's a Small World! DH was about insane from the song !

We then went to the Celebrate! Street Party. They had a special area reserved for Devon. THe parade stopped right in front of us! Devon, Brianna, and myself all were part of the parade. DH took pictures of us doing the Conga line with the dancers and the characters! It was great fun.

Then it was back to the hotel. Kids Wish Network had made dinner plans for us at the Hometown Buffet. It was only about 5 minutes from the parks and the hotel. They were very nice and even made a special pizza for Brianna (dd9). She doesn't eat tomato or meat. It was alos great because it was next to a CVS and I picked up some bottled water and snacks for the family. I also got some meds for myself who ended up with walking pnuemonia! Glad my doctor took care of me. Then it was back to the hotel to watch the fireworks from the balacony, shower, and send all the "sleepy dwarves" to bed!

Thank you Kids Wish Network for granting Dev's wish to ride the Indiana Jones rollercoaster and to go see legos!

Pre-trip Report

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
kmparrish5
Mouseketeer

Sounds like your trip is going wonderfully so far. I can't wait to hear the rest! I know how wonderful the 80 degree temperature must have felt as we are also Texans. Although we have a had a short break from the triple digit heat.....I think it is coming back this week

Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
tastycollector
Mouseketeer

Day 3-Special Magic

Day 3 had a slow start. We got to the park around 10am after a breakfast stop at MickeyD's. We checked in with City Hall for some plans that were made for us. The only problem was that the Wish Book was missing !! Once that was all settled, we were told to meet someone at Finding Nemo after Jedi Training.

Before we went to Jedi Training, we had time to ride Autopia. The kids loved driving the cars, but Mom and Dad had to push the gas peddle. Then we went to Jedi Training and found a spot to sit. When it came time to pick young Padawans, Devon was one of them. They sent him to stand on the stage with a few other children and then picked the children to stand on the dots on the ground. Out came the Storm Troopers, followed by Darth Maul and Darth Vader. The young Padawans came to dual the dark lords, Devon went to dual Darth Vader! After the battle, the storm troopers requested that he, "Drop your weapon!" Master Windo told Devon to use the Force to push the storm troopers back. First, the one on the right stumbled back when Devon rose his hand, then the one on the left did the same! Then Master Windo told Devon to push them both back, and they went stumbling across the stage! Devon was so excited! He kept saying that it "Rocked" and was "Awesome"!

Then we stopped at Pixie Hollow at meet Tinker Bell and her friends. The kids then decided it was time to have a snack and go check out the Pin Traders! They loved trading pins!

Next, Devon and Daddy took on the Matterhorn Bobsled! Devon loved the ride, but thought "Harold" (the monster in the mountain) was a little scary!

We then went to Finding Nemo and met Mr. Randy! Mr. Randy had a lanyard with several Star Wars pins, a Buzzlight Year pin, a special forces Duck Diver pin, and a Jedi Training Pin! Then we went on special trip in the Nemo sub. After Nemo, we were taken to a special "secert" room. The next thing we knew a large figure came through the door ! It was Darth Vader !! He was huge! Devon didn't know what to say, but he did want to know why he didn't talk ?! The kids got his autograph. We were told that Darth Vader only gives about 4 a year! He even knighted Devon!

After Devon's time with Darth Vader, we were off to ride Star Tours! We loved it! Brianna even ended up picking a Yoda t-shirt! We bought Devon a Padawan outfit. Then it was off to the Wish Lounge!

Laura, pixie of the wish lounge, was excited to hear about Devon's special magic! I love the picture of Devon, dressed in his Jedi clothes, standing in front of the Genie in the Wish Lounge!

After resting, we took a ride on the Monorail. Then Devon was ready for the Pirates of the Caribbean. The kids didn't like it to much. Brianna was hiding in Dad's arms. It seemed darker and scarier than the way I remember the one in Florida. (It has been...20+ years!) Devon then drug me to the Haunted Mansion. Brianna doesn't like dark rides, so it was just Devon and I on this ride. He loved it and was pointing out different parts from the movie! Next it was Dad's turn to ride with "Adventure Boy"! They went crashing down on Splash Mountain! Devon loved that Daddy had to ride in front! Dev told me, "Daddy caught all the water for me!" We rode the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh next. Brianna loved it so much that we rode it twice!

For dinner, we ate at the Plaza Inn. Afterwards, we went to the train station on Main Street to watch the fireworks. It was wonderous! Words can't describe the kids reactions. Devon was sitting in my lap when Dumbo came flying across the sky and they were playing "Baby of Mine." It made me cry. The whole family was amazed by Tink flying across the sky. She was really high up! My husband and I were amazed that it was "really" Tink!

Then it was time to head to the hotel. Everyone was tired! The next morning we were venturing to Legoland.

Pre-trip Report

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
tastycollector
Mouseketeer

Day 4

Day 4 was spent at Legoland. It was not what Devon had hoped for. We saw the Pacific Ocean on the hour long drive there. Breakfast was at Ruby's Diner. It's a 50's Diner with kids menus that fold into airplanes! The food was great and in big portions.

Legoland was a let down after Disneyland. The rides are mostly for ages 3-12. The rollercoasters didn't really do anything for Devon. Devon was really bummed that he could not participate in the Mindstorm Lego exercises because he wasn't old enough. This really upset him because he has his own set of Mindstorm Legos at home and wanted to have the chance to try out the challenge courses that they had.

On a high point, Devon had the chance to be in a building contest. He didn't win, but he had fun building with an unlimited source of Legos. Bria was bummed that they didn't carry any kind of Legoland t-shirts.

It was an okay time, but the kids wanted to get back to Disneyland.

Pre-trip Report

Last edited by tastycollector; 08-10-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

You write a really good trip report! I can see it all now!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
tastycollector
Mouseketeer

Day 5

Mom is still sick, but is starting to feel some better. This is official the end of Devon's wish trip, but extended our stay.

First, it was time to say good-bye to our hotel. We slept in until about 9 am and then packed up. Once, we were all loaded up, we moved down the street to the Orange County Hyatt. This is the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at! When we travel for docotrs, etc. we usually just stay at La Quinta, etc. This was the first time we had a bellhop to carry our suitcases and open the doors for us. The bellhop even took us to our room! Once we got settled a little, we had lunch in the downstairs cafe. The lunch was really good, and kid friendly. Then it was back to the room for some rest. Our new room had to seperate rooms! King bed for Mom and Dad and bunkbeds in the second room for the kids! They loved having their own space and T.V.!

I stayed in the room for a while to unpack and rest and Dad took the kids down to one of two pools. This is the first time Devon has been in the water for a year. The pool was very clean and is checked 4 times a day by computer and is treated as needed! It meant that the doctor was comfortable enough to let Devon play in the water! Dad said they had a blast in the 45 minutes they spent in the water.

At about 6:30 pm, we caught the hotel shuttle to Disneyland. The shuttle picked us up at the front doors and dropped us off at the entrance to the parks with no other stops (about 5-10 mins.)! We went to get Devon's GAC pass renewed and they had a note to keep it at the same status! We were in awe! It turns out that we were only one of 14 wish families at the park! I figured from the sound of things that there would be several families like there are in FL.

Anyway, we went to Califorina Adventures and had dinner. Devon had a hambuger from the Pilot Grill and the rest of us ate at Mexican food place by the Tortilla Factory. The food was really good. Then we went around to the reserved seating to watch the Electrical Parade! It was wonderful! I remember watching it at WDW when I was Devon's age! Bria was trying to record it. to say the least, the footage is a little hard to watch! She kept jumping up and down and dancing around to the music!

Then it was over to Disneyland after CA Adventures closed at 9 pm. It was super fun to be in the park after dark. After we waded through all the people leaving after the fireworks, we went to Tomorrowland. The kids wanted to ride Star Tours again! This time the boys rode in the front and the girls rode in the back! We then rode the Astro Orbiters. This was super cool all lit up at night! We went to ride the AstroBlaster, but it was broken. Then about 10 minutes later, it was reopened! We rode it 4 times! We kept changing who was playing with who. Devon and Mom, Dad and Bria, then boys versus girls. Then it was kids versus parents. We played this way twice! I loved being able to email pictures of us from the game to family at home! The grandparents loved it!

Next, we were on to have our pictures taken in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle! It was right before midnight and the castle was lit up! It will be great to have both sets of castle pictures. I even snuck in pictures of Mommy and Daddy kissing in front of the castle! of course the kids made all kinds of faces and noises! They were wonderful! Memories forever!

The next part was one of the kids favorite! We had ICE CREAM at 12:30 am as we were leaving the park to catch the shuttle back to the hotel! It was super fun eating ice cream and sharing cherries off of sundaes that late at night!

Then to sleep!

Pre-trip Report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: