Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #76
Caribbeanprincess
Princess of the Caribbean Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by melly View Post
I have no beef with Universal, love the place.

I have however offered a perfectly valid opinion on this project. May I suggest that if you cant handle other people having an opinion then a message board probably isnt the best place for you to be.

Again, my opinion is straightforward and valid. There is a LOT of hype over this project but when you scratch the surface it is a few restraunts and shops, a couple of re-painted rides which we have all been on before and just ONE new ride.

If this ride is awesome, and Im talking Spiderman or Revenge of the mummy awesome then Universal will pull this off. If it isnt then I think it will be a flop.
I think you underestimate the HP fans. Even if this would be just shops and the chance to step into Hogwarts, we would flock to it like bees to honey. I don't see any reason why this would flop, I would say more than the rides the fans are waiting for the experience to step into the world of HP and the places mentioned in the book.

Me 25 ~[SIZE="1"][COLOR="lime"]Trips: April 1996 - Offsite ~ July 1998 - Offsite ~ April 2006 - Offsite ~ December 2007 - Offsite ~ December 2008 -Disney's BoardWalk Inn ~ June 2009 - Disney's AllStar Music ~ December/January 2010-2011 - Disney's AllStar Movies ~ December 2011 - Pop Century ~ December 2012 - Pop Century
Old 07-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #77
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeanprincess View Post
I think you underestimate the HP fans. Even if this would be just shops and the chance to step into Hogwarts, we would flock to it like bees to honey. I don't see any reason why this would flop, I would say more than the rides the fans are waiting for the experience to step into the world of HP and the places mentioned in the book.
I agree. My daughter informed me that she thinks she will cry when she steps foot into Hogsmeade and she is a 23 year old non-fanatic fan.

Just looking at the stuff built so far, there is no way this is going to be a flop.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #78
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Joining this thread to get the latest updates. We are visiting Universal for the 1st time in August 2010. DS10 and I are huge Harry Potter fans and are so hoping it is open!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #79
enchantingodin
You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

HP fans are kinda like LOTR and SWs fans, at least in there intensity to LOVE the brand. However I think Universal would've been smarter to develop this idea when the first few movies came out (and then expanding as they progressed) then waiting until the end of them to start. And personally I would like to see another ORIGINAL ride or 2. Not just the one. I think they are leaving too much to decor and fluff to carry this "new" island. But - I don't think there's any real way for it to be a flop either. The fan base is just too big.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #80
melly
Mouseketeer

I've probably not worded my post that well. When I mean flop I dont mean in popularity or financially. It will be a huge draw for all the reasons the last few posters said.

What I do mean is a let down. You have to remember when this project was first publicised it was billed as a "Harry Potter Theme park"...you practically had to read the small print to see it was a land within an existing park. Then, with a bit more reading its not an actual new land, its nicking a bit of this and a bit of that so in reality its a marginal expansion. Then you find that in the new bits of land there is 1 new ride. I just think that although the rest of it will be cool with the theming and people will want to see that a lot still rests on this ride which will either make people think WOW or that they were expecting more. What you also have to remember is us lot on here are well read at what is going to be there and will most probably like it but there will be many people going who dont search the web for full details. They could be walking in thinking this will be some massive new expansion and looking forward to all the rides and end up doing 2 rides they have already done plus 1 new one. They may feel underwhelmed even if the theming is great. Thats just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #81
mvansear
Mouseketeer

Don
Video's from youtube were awesome!!! thanks so much for posting

CBR Christmas 2003, POR Feb 2007, CR Jan 20, 2010
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #82
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Just thought I would share this brief article about HP that was in today's paper:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trave...,6638768.story
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #83
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Orlando Attractions Magazine

A look at models from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Thanks to a Twitter tip from Orlando Attractions friend Matt Pezzula (@matpez), we’re able to present these models of some of the buildings and features at the upcoming Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal’s Islands of Adventure.
The pictures were downloaded from the public Picasa web album of danswingler, presumably art designer Daniel Swinger, although we can’t confirm that.
Here are the photos and the captions that were posted with them.

Hogwarts Model. I was responsible for making the platforms inside the model and made some of the Hogwarts buildings including The Great Hall, the ‘D’ Tower, bridge and entrances. I also sculpted the cliff around the base out of plasticine and made the plaza leading up to it.

Owl Post Office. I was solely responsible for making the Owl Post Office that was part of hogsmead village. (Also pictured at the top of the page.)

Three Broomsticks. Witches Picnic Seating.

Three Broomsticks Canopy.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #84
MWS94Rock
Earning My Ears

Is there anyone else besides me that doesn't like Harry Potter? I'm excited that they are building a new attraction for IOA and I'm sure it's gonna help their business a lot....but I would of rather of seen king kong been added to the lost continent. it seems fitting.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #85
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I agree. My daughter informed me that she thinks she will cry when she steps foot into Hogsmeade and she is a 23 year old non-fanatic fan.

Just looking at the stuff built so far, there is no way this is going to be a flop.
MY 16 DD thinks I am crazy because I am always reading this board. When she saw some of the pic's from this thread...her tune changed
She actually asked me to get up so she can read some of these posts & look at the pictures (and links)... She is a Potter fan thru and thru.. she started reading the books in 2nd grade.. yep 2nd grade. She has every book & every movie.. She wanted to go to the midnight showing of the newest movie but I would not let her, so she was there for the first showing the "real" opening day. She cannot wait for this "land" to open up... she is already planing on where she would like to eat
Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #86
Howellsy
:)

Those model pictures have me all excited again now, they look great
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #87
Caribbeanprincess
Princess of the Caribbean Seas

Can't wait! It's looking amazing.

Me 25 ~[SIZE="1"][COLOR="lime"]Trips: April 1996 - Offsite ~ July 1998 - Offsite ~ April 2006 - Offsite ~ December 2007 - Offsite ~ December 2008 -Disney's BoardWalk Inn ~ June 2009 - Disney's AllStar Music ~ December/January 2010-2011 - Disney's AllStar Movies ~ December 2011 - Pop Century ~ December 2012 - Pop Century
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #88
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS94Rock View Post
Is there anyone else besides me that doesn't like Harry Potter? I'm excited that they are building a new attraction for IOA and I'm sure it's gonna help their business a lot....but I would of rather of seen king kong been added to the lost continent. it seems fitting.
But millions of people do like it. However, although I am one of them, I wonder what its staying power will be once the movies are over.... Guess we'll see...
Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #89
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
But millions of people do like it. However, although I am one of them, I wonder what its staying power will be once the movies are over.... Guess we'll see...
People still want their picture taken with Mickey Mouse and Mary Poppins. The Potter characters will be just as timeless - they're not merely a momentary bit of pop culture. I'm confident that my godson's grandchildren will want their picture taken with Hagrid and Dumbledore.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #90
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
People still want their picture taken with Mickey Mouse and Mary Poppins. The Potter characters will be just as timeless - they're not merely a momentary bit of pop culture. I'm confident that my godson's grandchildren will want their picture taken with Hagrid and Dumbledore.
ET is a prime example too.. look at that ride & if there were an ET character, he would be a hit.. people get their pic's taken with an ET background for heavens sake...
Popye, Olive Oil, The Flinstones & Betty Boop, they all started at some point too. I can go on and on... Potter I do think is here to stay, it is too big to dissappear... as you have stated... Mickey & Mary Poppins... it's a part of pop culture... I just have a feeling some don't like Potter so they don't think it will last.. just as some didn't think Walt Disney himself would become big..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: