Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #256
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
I'd so like to try this, but my kids are so darn picky!

Terrible about the long bus wait... I wonder if any of the drivers bothered to notify a supervisor?

I'm guessing you voted for Kali!! Time to get wet!

Kathy
I think we are spoiled, we assume they will find something on the menu wherever we go. All of them love asian food except for Tink but the Honey Chicken was a good fit. Wall-E is actually hysterical, he and I will go to a Teppan place to get takeout do eat during Goofy's baseball games. He makes this "alleluiah" sound with each bite of tempura or sushi, eggrolls or potsickers. Like the heavens have opened for him. he is rewarding to feed!

We do push them, Tink and Steven in particular but generally speaking they are adventurous eaters thank goodness! I think we will have issues on the next trip if I can't list DS8 as an adult on the DDP (he will miss the cut off by about 3 weeks) so I'll have to figure that out.

It was weird, the drivers would radio in and check to see if one was coming but I didn't get the impression at any time that supervisors were being notified
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #257
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Kali? or Safari? Kali? or Safari? FP pay it forward!

we had just finished lunch, EE FP's weren't for HOURS and the question was, what to do?

Kali?

Safari?

Kali?

Safari?

Kali?

Safari?

Kali = 60 minutes wait

Safari= 45

Safari wins!!!!!!!!!!!

As we were walking we were mesmerized by these two

and this guy

We had a gander at the Tree of Life

I need to get the kids closer to it next time, we didn't have time to really "do" the tree and they were surprisingly unimpressed.

As we were walking we were stopped by a family who had 4 FP's for safari that they couldn't use. Score!

The 3 younger kids and I took the FP's and Scrooge and Steven decided to brave the wait.

Getting to the entrance was a bit of a challenge.

it was, of course, as befitted the entire trip...

PARADE TIME!

Picture 6 people scrambling through AK, trying to avoid the parade route and get to the safari entry BEFORE they blocked it.

We were thirsty by the time we got there even though we'd just had lunch. It was pretty funny though mildly stressful. We took a moment to stand in the shade and take some bio breaks, checking out some of the wares nearby.

As we went through the line and got on our "jeep" I snapped some pictures of what we'd be looking for

Then, we were OFF on safari!

But this question came up.

Mom, can WE take the pictures this time?

Gulp.

Do I trust the kids enough to take pictures without dropping the camera in a bouncing jeep?

Am I selfish enough to let them and just enjoy the view instead of focusing on the pictures?

Will they be able to get ANY that aren't blurred?

Who is old enough?

Who can handle it?

(I'm very attached to my little camera lol)
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #258
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Yay for the random act of kindness that scored you the fastpasses!

And I so know how you feel about getting stuck with the parade. I've had that happen and it does not bring out the best in me. Long story. Glad you made it!

And I TOTALLY know how you feel about the camera. Ugh. DS and I went to the Dollar Tree today and I got him one of those dinos that grows to four times its size, takes like four days when you put it in water. So, I'm using it as a little science experiment type lesson, and I say, let's take a picture.

And he says, can I do it?

Do I really want to let my four year old hold my camera over a bowl of water? No.

Do I let him? Yes.

Do I still have a good working camera? Yes.

Thank god.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #259
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

That's awesome that you were able to score fastpasses!! How nice of the other family to do that.

Wow!! I honestly don't know what I would do if one of my boys asked to take pictures on that ride.....hmmmm... that's a tough one.Like you, I'm pretty attached to my camera.

Can't wait to find out what you did????

Old 07-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #260
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

Gulp.

Do I trust the kids enough to take pictures without dropping the camera in a bouncing jeep?

Am I selfish enough to let them and just enjoy the view instead of focusing on the pictures?

Will they be able to get ANY that aren't blurred?

Who is old enough?

Who can handle it?

(I'm very attached to my little camera lol)
HA !!!! YOU sound like me on the exact same ride... my DS7 asked the same thing (I had bought him two disposables for this reason...) SO, I let him with me sort of hovering.... I was so worried the camera would end up outside!!!

can't wait for more.....

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #261
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Slowly Catching up - just read about the Main Street Barbershop. Now I'm kinda sad I didn't wait to get a cut while we were there.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #262
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Well, I think I just finished Day 5 or 6, not really sure. ANYWHO - I'm glad to hear you finally made it on Toy Story Midway Mania! I LOVED me some EMH. It was the greatest part of our trip! I hear you on the whole "Don't toss snack credit snacks" thing. I wound up with a brain freeze after my girls decided they were done 1/2 way through their frozen concoctions.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #263
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Yay for the random act of kindness that scored you the fastpasses!

And I so know how you feel about getting stuck with the parade. I've had that happen and it does not bring out the best in me. Long story. Glad you made it!

And I TOTALLY know how you feel about the camera. Ugh. DS and I went to the Dollar Tree today and I got him one of those dinos that grows to four times its size, takes like four days when you put it in water. So, I'm using it as a little science experiment type lesson, and I say, let's take a picture.

And he says, can I do it?

Do I really want to let my four year old hold my camera over a bowl of water? No.

Do I let him? Yes.

Do I still have a good working camera? Yes.

Thank god.

brave soul!

We had a disposable that no one was interested in using, mine is "far" cooler. DS8 has a pretty cool FP kids camera that takes surprisingly good snaps but we forgot to 1) take the pics off and stick them on their puter, freeing up space and 2) it's kind of big to lug around and 3) it only holds 30 pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
That's awesome that you were able to score fastpasses!! How nice of the other family to do that.

Wow!! I honestly don't know what I would do if one of my boys asked to take pictures on that ride.....hmmmm... that's a tough one.Like you, I'm pretty attached to my camera.

Can't wait to find out what you did????
it was interesting to say the least! Steven actually brought his own camera. SUPPOSEDLY his pics are on photobucket but I've yet to see them!

That reminds me to hound him tonight or this weekend!!!!!!!!!!! He took a TON.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #264
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
HA !!!! YOU sound like me on the exact same ride... my DS7 asked the same thing (I had bought him two disposables for this reason...) SO, I let him with me sort of hovering.... I was so worried the camera would end up outside!!!

can't wait for more.....
yeah somehow the disposables just aren't the same to the kids. We had that issue on our big road trip last summer as well. I tried a cheap digital for them (cheap= only works on XP, loses all your pics if the battery goes dead even though you swear you formatted the memory card per the instructions). So...that was a bust. They may all get a camera for xmas, it would solve everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Slowly Catching up - just read about the Main Street Barbershop. Now I'm kinda sad I didn't wait to get a cut while we were there.
next time! something to save for next time! I MSB. And...for your girls, they could get pixie dust without the scary prices of BBB (I think it's maybe $5?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Well, I think I just finished Day 5 or 6, not really sure. ANYWHO - I'm glad to hear you finally made it on Toy Story Midway Mania! I LOVED me some EMH. It was the greatest part of our trip! I hear you on the whole "Don't toss snack credit snacks" thing. I wound up with a brain freeze after my girls decided they were done 1/2 way through their frozen concoctions.
I did mellow out on that quite a bit as the trip went on, using them up like they were candy but early on I was kind of militant. Not only don't toss them but don't use them on a soda or a bottle of water, find something close to $4!. I will say, the minutemaid frozen lemonade was kind of icky so I caved on that one.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #265
Porturican
DIS Veteran

Have been reading your updates for a couple of days now Cant wait till you update again!

We are going to WDW for the 1st time in Sept. and when I saw your title about WDW on west coast time it caught my eye since we will be coming from the San Francisco area. I am sooo worried about the time difference and bedtimes! But we are so excited to go!

Keep up the great posts!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #266
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

How gallant of DH and Steven to brave the line for the women and children in your party.

My girls have their own cameras and Ian thankfully never asked, but we're forever making sure that the wrist straps are secure. Yes, they LOVE that. Looking forward to hearing which voice won out.

Great close up of the Tree of Life. I could look at the carvings on that thing for hours.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #267
MEK
DIS Veteran

I skimmed through your update last night, but didn't post because I was doing soccer preparation chores. I do really like your AK pics. Your tree of life pics made me remember that I am going to try to find as many animals as I can next time I visit. And, I am going to take pics of all of them! I finally started letting my kids take over the camera on safari because I am the proud owner of hundreds of digital safari pictures!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 07-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #268
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Quote:
As we were walking we were mesmerized by these two
Aren't they adorable?! The baby is soooo sweet!

Quote:
We had a gander at the Tree of Life
Coolest tree ever!

Quote:
As we were walking we were stopped by a family who had 4 FP's for safari that they couldn't use. Score!

Quote:
The 3 younger kids and I took the FP's and Scrooge and Steven decided to brave the wait.
Aww, good guys you have there

Quote:
it was, of course, as befitted the entire trip...

PARADE TIME!

Quote:

Gulp.
Been there, done that. Oh, for the record, I caved and let Mickey (6yo at the time) take the pictures - they were pretty good too
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #269
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porturican View Post
Have been reading your updates for a couple of days now Cant wait till you update again!

We are going to WDW for the 1st time in Sept. and when I saw your title about WDW on west coast time it caught my eye since we will be coming from the San Francisco area. I am sooo worried about the time difference and bedtimes! But we are so excited to go!

Keep up the great posts!
Thanks! and Welcome! I think there were good, and bad, things about deliberately not adjusting to the time change. Had it been a less crowded week, it would have been brilliant and based on just how nuts it was, unless we made rope drop I am not sure it would have really changed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackearl View Post
How gallant of DH and Steven to brave the line for the women and children in your party.

My girls have their own cameras and Ian thankfully never asked, but we're forever making sure that the wrist straps are secure. Yes, they LOVE that. Looking forward to hearing which voice won out.

Great close up of the Tree of Life. I could look at the carvings on that thing for hours.
Yeah, that was great that they took the "other" line. In reality though they didn't end up more than 15 minutes behind us, the wait was definitely
overstated! Thanks for the pic comment. It is so funny what kids like and don't like (or think or don't, are they real, are they animitronics, etc. The kids weren't that into the tree of life b/c it was "fake". no one wanted to go explore it with me. Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I skimmed through your update last night, but didn't post because I was doing soccer preparation chores. I do really like your AK pics. Your tree of life pics made me remember that I am going to try to find as many animals as I can next time I visit. And, I am going to take pics of all of them! I finally started letting my kids take over the camera on safari because I am the proud owner of hundreds of digital safari pictures!
I really wants to spend more time at the tree next time!

Soccer preparation chores

like these?

Tink is having a GREAT time at camp I'm happy to say (so far), she's been picked for one of the united teams, we'll see how the week plays out!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #270
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
Aren't they adorable?! The baby is soooo sweet!

Aww, good guys you have there

Been there, done that. Oh, for the record, I caved and let Mickey (6yo at the time) take the pictures - they were pretty good too
Wasn't that baby adorable! We were there quite a while

They might take off and do big boy stuff a lot but....they are gentlemen!

6 years old

you are a brave brave woman!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: