Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #421
emser
Earning My Ears

What a sad time to check back in. I have not been on the boards for a couple weeks...rehearsals and performances do get in the way sometimes...but I was enjoying myself once again reliving Disney adventures through your family, when the sad news was brought to my attention.

I too have a Pal Mickey that we bought back in 2004 on our first trip. The last time we went, in 2007, we got him a little Santa suit, just like yours. So as I am reading, I am seeing my little Pal, alone and scared on a park bench. Well, maybe not.

He was quite enjoyable our first trip. But after our dog had a little playdate with Pal Mickey, and we found Mickey hanging from his nose from our dogs mouth, little wires and stuffing exposed, he has never been the same.

How we miss the bad jokes. No more will we hear of short lines, or parades ready to start. I feel your pain. But take comfort in the fact you didn't have to see your Mickey face such a terrible end!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #422
MineMail
DIS Veteran

Even when you suspect the outcome, it's still sad to read the bad news in black-and-white.

My sympathies on your loss.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #423
Peter Panic Attack
sudden, discrete periods of intense anxiety coupled with a refusal to grow up

Chpt 37 - What Pal Mickey would have wanted

You know....it’s true what they say. The sun will come up tomorrow....because it did for us...even after all that had happened to us the night before. Was it an easy morning? No....it was hard......especially when we woke up to see Pal Mickey’s empty little dresser drawer. But we all agreed that Pal Mickey would want us to press on.....no, he would have insisted that we press on. Because Pal Mickey loved WDW.....and he wouldn’t have wanted us to spend the rest of our trip mourning his passing.

There was definitely a different feel to it though....as we boarded the bus. At the last minute we had decided to head to MK....because that was Pal Mickey’s favorite. We arrived at the park expecting rope drop, but were surprised to find the park was already bustling with people. Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary had begged us to go to Epcot....but we had chosen to listen to our hearts instead. Unfortunately, our hearts hadn't been privy to the fact that MK was hosting an early morning EMH.....but thinking isn't what hearts do best. They're kind of like Pooh Bear that way....or maybe Keanu Reeves.

It was hard to explain.....but once we got back in the park, there were so many happy memories of Pal Mickey....you almost forgot he wasn’t there. As we strolled up Main Street, we noticed places like Main Street Confectionery...and remembered the time that we had eaten these large mickey shaped sugar cookies covered w/ white chocolate....and Pal Mickey had refused to even look at us for 2 hours...let alone talk to us. We also passed by the Harmony Barber Shop where we had taken Pal Mickey for his first haircut....only to be turned away at the door because they said his synthetic fur would clog up their clippers. They did still give him a certificate though....but we passed on the complimentary mickey ears.....because in Pal Mickey's case that would have been redundant.

When we reached the hub, we took a right and headed into Tomorrowland. But instead of following the well worn trail to Space Mountain, we stopped at Astro Orbitor. This ride had sentimental value to us because our kids had loved it when they were little. On Astro Orbitor, Pal Mickey had used to just lay his little chin on the side of the rocket and stare out over the park. I used to wonder what he was thinking...and had been tempted on more than one occasion to offer him a penny for his thoughts. But I never did....because I was afraid I wouldn’t get my money’s worth. Knowing Pal Mickey....he was either soaking in every last detail of his beloved MK.....or he was trying to spot redheads. It was just too close to call.

Next we headed to Carousel of Progress.....because we needed an extra-shot of Disney magic on that particular morning......and COP was just what the doctor ordered. It gave us some quiet time to reflect. So many of the sights and sounds of WDW reminded us of Pal Mickey.....in a good way. Because, they were happy memories.....full of smiles and laughter. We started to appreciate that this was how Pal Mickey would have wanted to go....at WDW where it had all started.....not in some retirement home for plush inter-active toys where every Wednesday was meatloaf day....and you had to wait around for hours for some uncaring orderly with cold hands to come change your batteries. Nope...that wasn't Pal Mickey's style. He was a free spirit who loved life....and was destined to go out in a blaze of glory. You may ask, was fleeing small lizards really a blaze of glory? Well, probably not....but you're forgetting that Pal Mickey was pretty small too....plus he was a lover...not a fighter. Anyway, by the time we had revolved around to the last scene of COP.... where the father burns the Christmas turkey...our spirits had noticeably lifted.....about Pal Mickey not the burnt turkey. Why?...because everybody loves turkey....especially the turkey sandwiches the next day....but not so much the turkey cacciatori.....cuz that stuff gives me the willys.

Hmmmmm....kind of looks like "flash photography" to me Tinkershell.

Next up: Chpt 38 - Ariel's Grotto......of disappointment
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey
Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died II - Saving Mr. Panic Attack
Old 07-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #424
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by emser View Post
What a sad time to check back in. I have not been on the boards for a couple weeks...rehearsals and performances do get in the way sometimes...but I was enjoying myself once again reliving Disney adventures through your family, when the sad news was brought to my attention.

I too have a Pal Mickey that we bought back in 2004 on our first trip. The last time we went, in 2007, we got him a little Santa suit, just like yours. So as I am reading, I am seeing my little Pal, alone and scared on a park bench. Well, maybe not.

He was quite enjoyable our first trip. But after our dog had a little playdate with Pal Mickey, and we found Mickey hanging from his nose from our dogs mouth, little wires and stuffing exposed, he has never been the same.

How we miss the bad jokes. No more will we hear of short lines, or parades ready to start. I feel your pain. But take comfort in the fact you didn't have to see your Mickey face such a terrible end!
Emser, you can relate to our loss....kind of. To be honest, if you could totally relate to us...you would have cause for concern. In a way, it was easier not having to witness his ultimate demise.....but it was hard not knowing what happened too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineMail View Post
Even when you suspect the outcome, it's still sad to read the bad news in black-and-white.

My sympathies on your loss.
Your kind words are appreciated....sorry to drag you into all of this.
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #425
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

"Looking for redheads"

Priceless. Just Priceless.

Sorry for your loss....

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #426
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Alas, I suppose it's time to face the facts and accept that Pal Mickey is gone. But truly, I can't see him hiding in the bushes from the lizards forever. I like to imagine that he emerged to comfort a child that needed a small, plush friend who could tell a good joke. After all, Mickey doesn't really belong to any of us. He belongs to all of us. That's why I never forked over $70. Not because I'm cheap. Or because I didn't want to have to carry him all over the parks.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #427
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpratt View Post
"Looking for redheads"

Priceless. Just Priceless.

Sorry for your loss....
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Alas, I suppose it's time to face the facts and accept that Pal Mickey is gone. But truly, I can't see him hiding in the bushes from the lizards forever. I like to imagine that he emerged to comfort a child that needed a small, plush friend who could tell a good joke. After all, Mickey doesn't really belong to any of us. He belongs to all of us. That's why I never forked over $70. Not because I'm cheap. Or because I didn't want to have to carry him all over the parks.
Although nowadays....$70 might be a bargain.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #428
luvngoofy
Mouseketeer

Awww... it is all just so sad. Do the kids feel guilty, you know that is one of the stages of grieving? I just hope you were able to continue your trip on a happy note...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #429
erinch
DIS Veteran

You can tell you're completely losing it, lost in the deep pathos of the story, when you look at the picture from CoP, and think that it's a picture of Buddy Panic Attack, who must have donned some tribal ritual mourning headgear, and now is bellying up to the bar to down his second Kungaloosh, umm Kiddy Kungaloosh, ummm now-Extinct Kiddy Kungaloosh, to drown his sorrows.

I'm thinkin' that Mickey is now hanging out with a gang of lizards far underground, dancing the macarena and renouncing redheads for someone named Donny.

I really thought that about the pic. Why is the Panic Attack kid wearing that helmet? Wasn't it hot in the MK?

Last edited by erinch; 07-15-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #430
Wish_I_Was_At_WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Panic Attack View Post
We started to appreciate that this was how Pal Mickey would have wanted to go....at WDW where it had all started...
As any true fan of Disney World would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Panic Attack View Post
Hmmmmm....kind of looks like "flash photography" to me Tinkershell.
So apparently Tinkershell isn't just a rule breaker when it concerns birds?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #431
My sister's princess
These boards have grimmer police
I have never been involved in a conspiracy before!

Ariel's Grotto a disappointment? Is this even possible?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #432
fitzkerry
Wishing for my Ears!

As you can see by my post count I am more of a lurker than a poster on these boards, but I was moved to write and let you and your family know how brave you are and how proud I am that you carried on in the face of your loss. Mickey would not have wanted it any other way!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #433
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvngoofy View Post
Awww... it is all just so sad. Do the kids feel guilty, you know that is one of the stages of grieving? I just hope you were able to continue your trip on a happy note...
We were able to enjoy the rest of the trip.....because that's what Pal Mickey would have wanted. I don't remember the kids feeling guilty. However, I do know for a fact that they felt hungry on more than one occasion. Does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinch View Post
I really thought that about the pic. Why is the Panic Attack kid wearing that helmet? Wasn't it hot in the MK?
You must be referring to the futuristic virtual reality goggles. But that's not DS Buddy. We never get up on the stage.....anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish_I_Was_At_WDW View Post
So apparently Tinkershell isn't just a rule breaker when it concerns birds?
Nope...she's an equal opportunity rule breaker. Birds and flash photography are just a small example of the rules she tramples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My sister's princess View Post
Ariel's Grotto a disappointment? Is this even possible?
Hmmmm.....you'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzkerry View Post
As you can see by my post count I am more of a lurker than a poster on these boards, but I was moved to write and let you and your family know how brave you are and how proud I am that you carried on in the face of your loss. Mickey would not have wanted it any other way!
Thanks. I'm always happy to see self-described lurkers post on this TR.....makes it seem like a special occasion.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #434
luvngoofy
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Peter Panic Attack;32722713]We were able to enjoy the rest of the trip.....because that's what Pal Mickey would have wanted. I don't remember the kids feeling guilty. However, I do know for a fact that they felt hungry on more than one occasion. Does that count?

My DH thinks I have lost it because I break out in laughter from lines like this!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #435
Peter Panic Attack

Chpt 38 - Ariel's Grotto......of disappointment

DD Woobie had never been to the WDW version of Ariel’s Grotto....so that's where we headed next. On our first trip to DL with the kids when Woobie was four....she had loved the grotto. After waiting patiently in line, she stood next to Ariel with a shy smile on her face.....and lovingly stroked her tail. Trust me, it was adorable. With Pal Mickey....we were never comfortable visiting the grotto because we were afraid he would lovingly stroke Ariel’s tail as well.....but to a much creepier effect. As for me, I just love saying grotto. In fact, it's one of my favorite words.

It may have been my love for the word "grotto" that lead to my downfall...because repeating it over and over again in my head distracted me...and I made the fatal mistake of taking the most direct path to Ariel’s Grotto. I realized my error just as we were approaching the Mad Tea Party....but by that time it was too late. My only chance now was to distract Tinkershell until we had safely passed by the teacups....so I tried to convince her that a cloud formation looked just like Jon and Kate playing tug-of-war over a giant bag of money. It nearly worked. I believe it was Irish playwright Oscar Wilde who said "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes".....or was that German emmigrant Oscar Mayer, founder of the company that gave the world the "Weinermobile". Whoever it was, one thing was for sure.....we were about to experience the Mad Tea Party.

Funny thing was, Tinkershell doesn’t ride the teacups.....because they make her violently ill....but that doesn’t stop her from insisting that the rest of the family ride the teacups. I suppose we could have tried to offer her a green version of the ride....like they do at Mission Space. But that would mean I couldn’t spin our teacup like a man possessed.....and quite frankly...for me that’s the only appealing part of the whole attraction.. So Tinkershell was relegated to the sideline....and it was just me and the kids. I was in rare form that day....and soon our cheeks started to ripple and our eyeballs sucked back in our head like Tom Hanks leaving the earth’s atmosphere in Apollo 13. Pal Mickey used to like to sit down by our feet on the floor. Once the ride stopped, he’d just spin around the bottom for a minute or two. It was kind of like Pal Mickey roulette. Whoever he stopped on was declared the big winner.....which meant they got the honor of holding his ears out of the way while he threw up. "Houston...we've got a problem."

Unfortunately, when we arrived at Ariel’s Grotto...it was swamped with people. Blast you early morning EMH! Plus, it didn’t really help that Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary was snickering at us and giving us that “I told you so” look...which I detest. Anyway, the estimated wait time was well over an hour. Since we were approaching lunch time, we decided we would have to pass....which made DD Woobie quite sad. That, in turn, created a new problem...because Tinkershell can't really function when one of her children is sad. It sends her into a frantic quest to please them....usually culminating in some type of spontaneous purchase. This time was no different...and Woobie ended up with a little stuffed Eeyore which she named “Churro”.

Obviously, the first thing we needed to do after purchasing a stuffed Eeyore named Churro was to ride the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. This was churro's first time outside of the gift shop.....so Woobie thought it would be best to start him out on something familiar. I couldn’t argue with her logic.....so we settled into the first available honeypot. Boy that really takes me back.......because my first car was an old honeypot that I bought from my uncle for a song. Initially, I took my fair share of ribbing from some of the guys...because I was driving a honeypot....but then me and a bunch of my buddies souped it up in shop class and called it Greased Lightning.....until we were contacted by the legal department from Paramount Pictures and forced to change the name. Anyway....I eventually lost it racing for pinks down at Thunder Road.

We finished up the morning in Fantasyland....and then headed to Pinnochio Village Haus for lunch. We got there about 11:15 am, but it was already pretty busy. Anyway, Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary wanted to make sure that the official record showed that it had told us so....and it wouldn’t let it go until the entire family said “duly noted” in unison. So we did....because that itinerary was relentless. At PVH, we were lucky enough to grab a table by the windows that looked out over It’s a Small World. It was kind of fun to watch all the boats go by....full of children laughing.... and mothers singing....and fathers blindfolded and smoking a final cigarette.

Next up: Chpt 39 - Dinner at Le Cellier

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: