Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Space Mountain Halloween Overlay, and Halloween Fireworks!!

Just read over on Miceage that starting on September 25, SM will have a Halloween overlay. Something like Hong Kong's version called Ghost Galaxy. They will be using the same equipment that was used for Rockin Space Mountain.
Be advised that it also said that SM, will be closed 2 weeks prior to the new overlay.

Also mentioned that DL will have Halloween Fireworks this year!
Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

That's great! We're going to WDW in Sept. and returning home on Sept. 23rd. Our DL AP will expire while we are gone-now it looks like I'll have to renew them sooner than I thought. DD goes back on track on Sept. 28th so I was going to wait until the Christmas holidays. Looks like I'll have to change my plans to see the new FW.

I absolutely love the Hallowishes Fireworks at WDW and it would be great if the ones at DL are similar. In fact, it was the FW that got my family to agree to go to another MNSSHP a few years back. Problem was that it rained, torrentially, that night, and the FW wre delayed and then cut short. A big disppointment. Would love to see them here at home.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I wondered if that was what was happening, because someone on DIS just posted a list of the upcoming refurbs in September and Space Mountain was suspiciously down for about the same time as the HM will be down, and it is back up around the same time HMH will be up.

I think that is a really cool idea and people will love it - BUT I won't be seeing it because I don't go on Space Mountain anymore. My stomach can't take it. So I will rely on seeing still photos somewhere to show me what it looks like. I think that because (most likely) there will be no Halloween Round-Up this year, they need to add in more things to draw people in. However, I know I am not the only one who avoids the super-thrill rides, so I am not sure if the Halloween Space Mountain will have the same draw as the HMH, but we will see!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12

Last edited by Sherry E; 07-11-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

If that's true, I'm sorry I will be missing it. I hope they have time to fix the ride as well as long as it is closed. That ride was always breaking down while we were there. Including once while we were on it. We eventually got fed up with Space Mountian and "punished" it by not riding on it our last day.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
bluegrizzlies1
The crab was there and then it was gone
We did it once and loved it

Halloween fireworks when?

Are they just going to be a few days or all of oct ?
2011 Feb, July
2010 March, June
2009 Oct, May
2008 Oct, May, March
2007 Dec, Aug
bluegrizzlies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

That's why its down!!! I might have to upgrade to AP's on our Sept trip so we can come back and see it!!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
LuLusApple
DIS Veteran

I am so excited! I love SM I will have to add another day to our October trip! Woohoo

MeDD13DD19DD22 DS23DS24DGD2
LuLusApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
got2travel
Disney lover
Waking Tink's a special treat

sounds like I'll have to make a Fall trip, guess I'll get those Trick or Treat party tickets after all

Next: Jan '14 DL / May '14 DCL 2 day to Nowhere / Jul '14 DCL Alaska
Past: Dec '13 DL / Jun '13 DL / Oct '12 DL then WDW / Jun '12 WDW & DCL Fantasy / Mar '12 DL / Dec '11 WDW / Mar '11 DCL Dream / Jan '11 DCL Wonder / Oct '10 DL / Sep '10 DCL WBTA / Apr '10 DL / Mar '10 DL / Jan '10 DL / Sept '09 DL / Mar '09 DL & Club 33 / Feb '09 / Nov '08 / Aug '08 DL & DCL PC Repo / Mar '08 DL / Aug '07 DL Paris-DCL Med Repo / May '07 AWE Red Carpet at DL / Apr '07 DL B-day trip / Nov '06 DL / Oct '06 DL / Aug '06 DL / June '06 WDW / Jan '06 DL / Nov '05 DL Tokyo / Oct '05 DL / July '05 DL / May '05 DL / Feb '05 1 day DL solo / Jan '05 DL / Dec '04 WDW / Oct '04 DL / June '04 DL (2 separate weekends) / April '04 DL & Club 33) / Jan '04 DL / Nov '03 DL / Oct '03 WDW / Aug '03 DL / Jun '03 DL / Apr '03 DL / Jan '03 DL.....many more DL visits, too numerous to list
got2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Hmmmm.....who else here feels a big ol' Snowball a-rollin' in your direction? And who here sees the DLR hotel rate hiking up and the rooms booking fast?

This is how bad the DSE (Disney Snowball Effect) is: as stated in my previous post, I don't even ride Space Mountain anymore, but when I read what the OP said, my first thought/impulse was, 'Oh wow! Now I can't go to DLR for JUST one day in October....I have to be there for AT LEAST a couple of nights, clearly...' Why? If I'm not going on Space Mountain, why would my trip be affected in any way and need to be prolonged? Well....because there might be OTHER cool new Halloween stuff around the parks this year and I HAVE to have time to see that, don't I? I am a moderator here - I have to keep up to date! It's research! I am doing it all for YOU guys!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12

Last edited by Sherry E; 07-11-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

For me, this is sad news. My daughter's favorite ride last year (when she was 4) was Space Mountain. I just read the other dis post about the closures and had to go "break the news" to her about SM being closed during our visit. She cried and could not understand why they would do that to her. I told her there are lots of other rides she can still ride and listed her favorites (another favorite - the Gadget Go Coaster - is also closed during our visit). My DH and I were both worried the refurb could last longer, but this makes me sure that it will be open by the 25th. We are there Sept 20-25th and I promised her lots of turns riding it on the 25th. I am a little sad she will miss the "traditional" SM, however, I am sure she won't care and will love it just the same.
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
specialks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Isn't it possible that SM will "soft-open" before 9/25? I would not COUNT on it, but I would definitely keep an eye out if I were going. I am sorry to anyone who misses Space Mountain due to the overlay, though. And it seems just wrong to take down two coasters at the same time! Even though one of them is much smaller than the other.

On the up side, maybe that means fewer crowds.

Yes, I feel a snowball! I wanted to attend the Halloween party, wanted to see the new fireworks, and now this! Too bad I don't get vacation days, don't know if I'll even be employed when the Halloween time starts, and can't convince anyone else to snowball with me to share expenses.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Hmmmm.....who else here feels a big ol' Snowball a-rollin' in your direction? And who here sees the DLR hotel rate hiking up and the rooms booking fast?

This is how bad the DSE (Disney Snowball Effect) is: as stated in my previous post, I don't even ride Space Mountain anymore, but when I read what the OP said, my first thought/impulse was, 'Oh wow! Now I can't go to DLR for JUST one day in October....I have to be there for AT LEAST a couple of nights, clearly...' Why? If I'm not going on Space Mountain, why would my trip be affected in any way and need to be prolonged? Well....because there might be OTHER cool new Halloween stuff around the parks this year and I HAVE to have time to see that, don't I? I am a moderator here - I have to keep up to date! It's research! I am doing it all for YOU guys!!
Sherry, These were my thoughts exactly!! It already has been crowded for the last few years, and now it is just going to get worse!!

Oh well, I guess if I want to see the new stuff, I just have to go with the flow!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I am a moderator here - I have to keep up to date! It's research! I am doing it all for YOU guys!!
And we all truly appreciate the sacrifices you make for us, Sherry!
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
fayt19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrizzlies1 View Post
Halloween fireworks when?

Are they just going to be a few days or all of oct ?
I'm wondering the same thing! We're probably going the first week of October and I hope we'll get to see them on the 9th.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Spacepest
Mouseketeer

OMG *squees*

I have a DL trip planned for mid October! A themed Space Mountain will be awesome.

And what is Hong Kong's Ghost Galaxy? Anyone have a link with pics?
Spacepest is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: