Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I think if this is now a Pre-TR for a WDW excursion, we have to move this over to the WDW Trip Reports section.....unless DLR is still on the table??
I messaged a moderator earlier today asking them to move the thread, but if you want to do it instead I would appreciate it. DLR is still on the table but I think it's unlikely at this point, so the WDW PTR forum would be best. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy View Post
I messaged a moderator earlier today asking them to move the thread, but if you want to do it instead I would appreciate it. DLR is still on the table but I think it's unlikely at this point, so the WDW PTR forum would be best. Thanks!
I'll move it. Although I didn't see a WDW Pre-TR forum. Did you see one? I ony saw the regular WDW Trip Report section.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Oh, I saw the Pre-TR section - finally! Okay - I will move you!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 07-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #20
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I have to admit, for $500, staying ON property, with FREE dining...I'd pick WDW in a heartbeat. I always price out DLR...we could drive if we really wanted to and it would cost us as much to stay there as it would WDW. I don't know, I guess I expect b/c it's close, and smaller, for it to be less. And staying on property is so incredible, and the food options are amazing versus DLR.

Don't get me wrong, I love DLR, but to me it's a shorter, smaller trip. I kept looking at it with the kids fly free and it still didn't cost any less if I stayed at a DLR property.

I like your choice
Old 07-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #21
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I have to admit, for $500, staying ON property, with FREE dining...I'd pick WDW in a heartbeat. I always price out DLR...we could drive if we really wanted to and it would cost us as much to stay there as it would WDW. I don't know, I guess I expect b/c it's close, and smaller, for it to be less. And staying on property is so incredible, and the food options are amazing versus DLR.

Don't get me wrong, I love DLR, but to me it's a shorter, smaller trip. I kept looking at it with the kids fly free and it still didn't cost any less if I stayed at a DLR property.

I like your choice
That's nice to hear! I keep thinking I've made the right decision and then doubt myself a little, thinking that we should go to DLR. But honestly, a week at WDW beats the heck out of 5 days at DLR.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #22
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Flying Fits

Last time I left you we had just decided to book WDW. Much hemming and hawwing in that decision but I think DH and I are happy with the decision.

I've been watching flights like a hawk and it's giving me fits. Flights are running about $238 from here to Florida, which I think is pretty good considering we're clear on the other side of the country. But I haven't yet plunked down the money for those tickets, hoping some big sale would come up and save us a little extra money.

We're watching 2 airlines in particular - Delta and Frontier. Both offer early-morning flights that get us into FL by mid-afternoon. They also both offer a red-eye that gets us in first thing in the morning the next day. Those are the two flight schedules we're considering. Went back today to check and Frontiers rates had gone WAY up... an additional $500 for the 5 of us. OUCH! So now I'm debating whether to just suck it up and buy the tickets from Delta or give it time and see if they happen to go down. But then if Delta tickets go up my budget is going to suffer. *sigh* Why does it have to be so difficult?

On a side note, I think I need a little pixie dust today. I'm teaching dinosaur camp this week and all the roaring is draining my happy-happy-joy-joy.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #23
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

It's official...

We bought our plane tickets so there's no turning back now, we're headed to Disneyworld!!! Making the vacation ressies was fine but buying the non-refundable plane tickets make is so real, especially considering we nearly decided to cancel (I had a panic moment about pulling so much money from our savings up but I got over it ).

We did decide NOT to do a red-eye. Hate that night of flying so we're leaving very early in the morning and arriving in the afternoon FL time. Because we're giving up a day flying we decided to add a day onto our reservation. Now we'll have 1 evening when we arrive, 7 full days in the park and 1 half day the day we leave. I think we can make that work.

Right now I'm trying to plan our days. I want to see the crowd calendar to help decide which park to go to which day, but I hate to buy the 2009 Unofficial Guide, especially since I have the 2008 book. I'm still deciding on that one.

The other thing I'm deciding is what to do that first night. I was thinking a nice sit-down dinner might be in order, sort of a "Welcome to the Magic" dinner. I was thinking Chef Mickey's. Or something in Downtown Disney. Or a place we could see the fireworks from (though they would have to pipe the music in too). We could go to MK that night for dinner and then fireworks too. Lots of options and I'm not sure which to do...
Old 07-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #24
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Sharing the Secret ... how we tell the kids.

I've been struggling with how to tell the kids that we are going to Disneyworld. I know we can't keep quiet forever, as I'm on the DIS ALLLLLL the time lately and they have to be thinking that something is up. So I figure we should just break it to them sometime soon.

Last time we went to WDW I made a little treasure hunt with clues to Disney things around our house. At each item was a piece to the puzzle. Once the kids put it all together it announced that we were going and the dates. Sounds fun, right? It was a huge flop! The oldest was excited, but that was probably moreso because he knew that was the expectation. The other two just wanted to go back to whatever they were doing before we rudly interrupted them with said treasure hunt. So I've really been giving this a lot of though in hopes of having a better outcome than the first.

Yesterday I finally hit on an idea that I think would be great. Since this is our Christmas gift to the family and it is July, I was thinking about doing a "Christmas in July" party. Maybe get out the Santa hats, watch "The Santa Clause" (one of our fave Christmas movies) and then present them with a big present (wrapped in Christmas paper, of course). Once unwrapped they would find 3 small presents, one for each kid, inside. The little presents would each contain 5 trader pins (I just ordered these and hope they arrive in enough time), a personalized Disney t-shirt and a note announcing that we're going to WDW.

Soooooo ... that's the plan. Any other ideas of what I could put inside their little boxes? Any hints on ways to make this more fun? I'm all ears...
Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #25
VroomVroomLightning
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Soooooo ... that's the plan. Any other ideas of what I could put inside their little boxes? Any hints on ways to make this more fun? I'm all ears...
I read part of your trip report and just now finsished up when I saw you had an update. I think your way of telling them is going to be so great! I am sure you have checked out the DISigns page. They have so many different invitations and shirt designs there. I am sure someone would be able to help you if you posted about your idea! Not only am I fan of all Disney but I am also a huge Christmas fanatic..lol..It drives my family crazy but I love it! So when I saw your idea I was so excited for your kids! I can't wait to hear more!!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #26
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomLightning View Post
I read part of your trip report and just now finsished up when I saw you had an update. I think your way of telling them is going to be so great! I am sure you have checked out the DISigns page. They have so many different invitations and shirt designs there. I am sure someone would be able to help you if you posted about your idea! Not only am I fan of all Disney but I am also a huge Christmas fanatic..lol..It drives my family crazy but I love it! So when I saw your idea I was so excited for your kids! I can't wait to hear more!!
Yes, I've posted a few requests on the DISigns board and can't wait to get them! I've been searching for solid colored t-shirts for us all so I can do iron-ons and I'll be printing out the invites too. I can't wait! Suddenly, it seems REAL!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #27
DisneymoonJess07
I <3 Disney - can I go back now??

Hi! First off, yay for WDW! We are staying in POR in (checks ticker) 44 days! So great choice!

Anyway, I think your way of telling your kids will work great. If nothing else, you'll have fun with it and that's a chunk of it.

BTW, try to authenticate your account on touringplans.com with your 2008 book. I have heard it works for some people.

PTR: MAY we go to Disney? Yes we MAY! May 2014
Our Trip Report: "Say Hi to Mickey for me!" - A Disneymoon Two Years in the Making *unfinished*
Our Pre-Trip Report - 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon Sept. 2009
Booed by n2wdisneyw!
1991 - offsite , 1994 - offsite , 1996 - offsite , 1999 - ASSp , 2009 - POR! w/free dining! 2014 - ?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #28
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneymoonJess07 View Post
Hi! First off, yay for WDW! We are staying in POR in (checks ticker) 44 days! So great choice!

Anyway, I think your way of telling your kids will work great. If nothing else, you'll have fun with it and that's a chunk of it.

BTW, try to authenticate your account on touringplans.com with your 2008 book. I have heard it works for some people.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try with my 08 version. (crossing my fingers that it works!!!)
Old 07-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #29
cmfranklyn
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Yesterday I finally hit on an idea that I think would be great. Since this is our Christmas gift to the family and it is July, I was thinking about doing a "Christmas in July" party. Maybe get out the Santa hats, watch "The Santa Clause" (one of our fave Christmas movies) and then present them with a big present (wrapped in Christmas paper, of course). Once unwrapped they would find 3 small presents, one for each kid, inside. The little presents would each contain 5 trader pins (I just ordered these and hope they arrive in enough time), a personalized Disney t-shirt and a note announcing that we're going to WDW.
LOVE this idea! Sounds great!

CBR or POP Dec 3-6, 2010
POP Century June 21-28, 2009
Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #30
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneymoonJess07 View Post

Holy moly, it worked!!! Didn't work the 1st time I tried but the 2nd time it gave me the whole calendar. YEAH!!! Thanks for the tip. I'm anxious to get started planning which days we'll be spending at which parks and mapping out which meals we'd like to make ADR's for. THANK YOU!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: