Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Kids are most interested in what park?
Magic Kingdom 1 25.00%
Epcot 2 50.00%
Hollywood Studios 0 0%
Animal Kingdom 1 25.00%
Typhoon Lagoon 0 0%
Blizzard Beach 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
davidb69
Patiently waiting to see Mickey again

Cool Our 3rd annual trip to Disney, first real PTR(We leave on AUGUST 7th YEA!!!!)

Hello fellow DISers. Me(40) :-(, DW(34) and our 2 DS(8,6) are so, so ready for Disney. We actually calmed the excitement this year with a trip to the beach for a week in June that we really enjoyed. We used to do the beach for a week before we decided to try to go to Disney once before the kids got older and bam here we are for our 3rd annual trip. Each year the trip has been different. Our first year, we flew down on a saturday, had a long day going to downtown disney and then hit the parks every day and then flew home the following saturday night. Disney Magical Express is incredible and the parks were in the mid 90s every day but hey it's August. I really didn't enjoy the lack of control with our first saturday and last saturday for coming down so we drove down last year. Everything went fine, we drove from the Philly area and the only negative part was our younger DS threw up in the car when we arrived in the Orlando area. He had the stomach bug for the next 2 days but was fine the rest of the trip including the trip home(me and DW got that same bug later in the week). We also had cooler temps(upper 80s in mid august!) and a lot more showers which at disney isn't a big deal. Overall we had a great time and headed home in the middle of the afternoon after hitting Epcot on a sunday till around 3pm. We were supposed to get a hotel to sleep in on the way home but we drove straight home and got home at 7am and went to bed(not fun but we were ok)

This year we were not going to goto Disney, we said we can't afford it this year and then boom, Disney puts out the buy 4 days get 3 free. So we booked and we are set for Disney from August 8th thru August 15th at Pop Century. We've been to All Star Sports and Movies in the last 2 years, so Pop Century seems really nice and a nice fit for a new place to visit making each year fresh and new.

So here we are planning our trip. We are 4 weeks away, dining reservations have been made months ago and we are ready to go now if we could but we patiently wait.

Day -1 - August 6th -
Laundry night, pack bags and have them by the door, make sure DSes/PSP/iphones are charged and podcasts are downloaded. Have mini tv and PS2 and Gamecube packed to go.
Day 0 - August 7th(in Philly area)-
We come home from work and have our last home cooked meal, clean up, pack up the van, hit the bathrooms, and our trip will begin somewhere in the 7-8pm time period.
There are a few hard periods driving to Disney from the Philly area. We plan on having DW drive through these trouble areas while I take a nap during the first part of the trip this year. Last year I drive all but 1-2 hours last year.
Problem #1, Baltimore area, we should hit around 9pm, Orioles are on the road that day, so traffic shouldn't be too bad.
Problem #2 DC area, DC is always a traffic jam even at 10pm at night. Hopefully this will be smooth. If we are doing good then we should be in Richmond, VA by midnight-1am area.
Problem #3 Trees, trees, trees. The reason for packing podcasts for the trip is #1, the wife will be sleeping and scenery in the dark and just trees is boring.
Day #1 YES!!!!!!!!
Kids will start to wake up during the drive around 5-7am. Generally because of the excitement. At this point we should be in the Georgia area.
Last year we ate at a Denny's at Brunswick, GA. It was really good and kids had fun there. I think it was 8am when we ate there last year.
After we eat and leave around 9amish we hit the Jacksonville area around 11am. At this point, we should only have 3 more hours till we hit Disney and we hope to arrive around 2pm. Kids want to eat at the McD near by and will probably do so. After we have lunch then we head to the hotel, check in and unload. Our game plan is to head to the pools and relax after a long day(for us driving anyways). More of the PTR coming later.

Pretrip Aug 2013 All Star Sports

Me Dave -44 DS Matthew -12 DW Melody -38 DS Luke -10

Last edited by davidb69; 08-02-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Tags
disney, philadelphia, plans, ptr, travel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: