Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
larsonhope
Earning My Ears

Smile First time 'dream' trip to Disney

Hi there. I found this place today and am hoping someone can help me out with some information. I've looked around on here - but still am not sure about my questions.

We will be traveling in 2 weeks to Disney World with our 14 year old son - who has chronic health issues (CVID mainly). He just got out of the hospital (hit 45 days for the year) a couple of days ago - and this opportunity for us to go to Disney came up. This will be a dream come true for him - something he has asked to do but due to his health and its related issues - we've never been able to make it happen for him.

The concerns we have are:

1. He is not able to regulate his body temperature - so we know that the heat will impact him - but have talked with his doctors on how to deal with this.

2. He tires pretty easy. Partially due to his condition and partially due to his medications. This also gives us concern because we will need to make sure we are cautious about his time in the sun (again, due to problems with the medications he takes). We wonder if we need to be more concerned about him being able to 'hear'. He has a moderate hearing loss in both ears - but we don't know if there's any reason to think that why 'normal' hearing aids and 'we know how to help him out' things won't be enough?

3. This is a 'first' for us - so we are planning the best we can - but would appreciate ANY tips from anyone who has done "Disney" with a child who has serious medical conditions.

4. We normally carry our 'bag' of medical info with us whenever we travel - but wonder if there's any need for anything 'specific' when at Disney?

There are other health issues on our radar - but those are at the front of the list!
Thanks in advance,
Hope
larsonhope is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: