Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
LisaSp
Mouseketeer

Also subscribing--looking forward to reading your report...and so glad the trip was everything you'd hoped it would be!

February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
March 2006 Eastern Magic
WDW (offsite) 1974, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2005, 2007
LisaSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

That is one of the best openings I've ever read. I'm so glad to hear that this cruise helped rejuvenate you and your DW. I can't wait to read all about it, especially your day at the Baths. We had the tour booked for our cruise in September and it was canceled. I'd love to do this on our own, just trying to figure out the best way.
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
RoyalVizier
I'm sorry... I'm a gutless flip-flopper
No wonder I never get my wife flowers... they're so complicated
My favorite spot is right in front of Italy
So Bleahlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileneyes View Post
We're also waiting to see the cruise from RV's view!

(And, if the trip report doesn't include a picture of the famous flip-flops, we've got one to share!)
I think the flip flops will make an appearance, but I'd love to see what you've got as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
I can't wait to read all about it, especially your day at the Baths. We had the tour booked for our cruise in September and it was canceled. I'd love to do this on our own, just trying to figure out the best way.
Definitely do the Baths on your own. It was so easy. We felt safe and the ferry transport and open air taxi transport were very reliable and easy. Cheaper too. I'll give a complete blow by blow. Not necessarily within the next few installments, but coming I promise. There will be many photos as well. We took over 200 photos just at the Baths.

Next part coming right up...
March 17th, 2007 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Magic -Trip Report
June 20th, 2009 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Magic - Trip Report
November 28th, 2010 - 4 Night Cruise Aboard the Disney Wonder
February 12, 2011 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Magic

Upcoming Sailings:
November 15th, 2014 - 7 Night Eastern Cruise Aboard the Disney Fantasy
RoyalVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Day 1: Windsor Knots and BOGO Biscuits

The first time I looked sleepily at the bedside clock on Saturday morning it was 4:15 am. I let out a whimper and a groan but luckily was able to roll over and go back to sleep. The second time I looked at the bedside clock on Saturday morning it was 5:15 am. Hm… obviously my internal clock works best at hour intervals. I attempted the “roll over and go back to sleep” maneuver again, but it didn’t quite work that way. So I grabbed the Macbook from the bedside and checked out the DIS for a bit and then Facebook (I had to tend to my Superpoke Pet dragon, Gus, and explain to him that we were going to be gone for a few days and that he wasn’t allowed to die while I was away) for a few minutes and, what do you know, my eyes began to get very heavy, and I felt I’d be able to sleep just a bit longer. The third time I gazed more wide-eyed at the bedside clock on Saturday morning it was 6:15 am, and that was the end of sleep. I had evidently ingested the vacation bug sometime within that last hour, and it had firmly planted its fat body and spindly legs deep in my belly where it was squirming and writhing away! It was vacation day!

So at 6:15 am I was up out of bed, and I headed downstairs to sit in front of the TV. I was sitting there watching VH1 when out of the blue I became very worried about whether or not I would remember how to tie my tie’s once I got on the ship! Yes, this is what I was thinking about while watching Lady Gaga on VH1 at 6:15 in the morning on my sail away day. Now, I do not regularly wear ties. Actually, I pretty much never wear ties. My work doesn’t call for suit and tie attire. I work in a business casual environment and, I get by with slacks and some sort of collared or button-down shirt, but no tie. Well my family likes to dress up a bit for dinner when we are on a cruise, and it was decided several days previously that I wanted to wear a tie on a few of the nights (even bought a few brand new ones). Well it had been years since I had worn a tie so where do you refresh yourself on how to tie a tie? Well the internet of course! So a few days prior, after purchasing the new ties, I had watched a few instructional videos on YouTube, and did you know that there are bagillions of tie knots? Who knew? Actually, probably everybody except for me. So anyway I chose the Windsor Knot because it was touted as the classiest and the “king of knots”. So I had watched the video a couple of times and I felt that it was easy enough and thought that I had it down… that is, until I was sitting in my chair watching VH1 on Saturday morning at 6:15 am. Stress over remembering how to tie my tie in a perfect Windsor Knot engulfed my brain, and I began to have visions of myself charging out of my stateroom, half-dressed, tie in hand, having to ask some random stranger in the hallway to tie my tie or I’d be late for dinner.

So I went back up to the bedroom, got back on the laptop, and re-watched the video (while my wife slumbered peacefully beside me), this time tie in hand. After re-watching for the second time, I figured I’d better write this down. The rabbit hops up through the loop then around the back… blah blah blah. Tie tying instructions are on the first page of my trip report journal! I’m a tie-idiot. But I got it! And it looked good! A perfect Windsor Knot holding a beautiful tie in place… hanging there… over my hole-riddled, ratty old comfy t-shirt and jammie bottoms. Sorry, no picture.

Well the morning progressed. Everyone started to stir and get out of bed, the finishing touches were put on packing, and the dogs were loved on a bit more than usual (which is a lot).

Ollie helped of course.

Boy, if she could have closed him comfortably up in that suitcase she would have in a heartbeat!

My dad was scheduled to pick us up at 9:45 am to drive us over to the port, so at about 9:00 am we realized we were hungry and needed something for breakfast. My daughter piped up wanting McDonalds so she and I took everyone’s order and drove over to McDonalds. My wife and I had sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddles, of course (they are quite amazing and those little, sweet pearls of syrup baked into the pancakey goodness just burst in your mouth!), and the other two had sausage biscuits (booooooor-ring!). Upon ordering the biscuits, the staticy voice inside of the drive-up machine told us that the biscuit sandwiches were Buy One Get One Free! Joy and rapture! Free stuff to launch our vacation… wonderful! Nothing like launching a vacation week with a sack full of greasy, fatty goodness!

Back home we stood around the kitchen island eating and waiting.

Shhhhh... they don't need to know that I posted this picture.

I’d like to say that I devoured the extra sandwiches, but I decided to take the high road and leave them in the fridge for my mother in law to eat over the week. Couldn’t let her starve there on her own, could I? Plus I didn’t want to stuff myself silly when Topsiders was waiting! It was that weird time where you’re completely ready to walk out the door, but you’re relying on someone else for transportation. We were itching to get moving. The luggage was next to the front door. So we stood there.

And then my wife plummeted into the panic pit. She couldn’t find her Dapplebeans button. Yes folks… Ollie fan club buttons were made so that she could wear him close to her heart always and share his dapple-lovin’ self with others as well as spread weenie-dog love all over the oceans waters.

Here's the original prototype design sheet for the regular sized buttons that would go to us commoners:

Remarkably, others that heard about the idea of the buttons also expressed interest in owning their very own Dapplebeans button, and actually… we got quite a lot of mileage out of her wearing that button everywhere she went (HI JOANNE FROM TEXAS!!). We ended up making several of the regular sized buttons, but then my wife wanted one bigger one that was unique just for her, President, Founder, and Momma you know...

This thing was big!

Like a giant Ollie-beacon beckoning from her shirt… and it was now missing!

She was frantic. She was alarmed. You’d think we had lost our birth certificates or our daughter. Of course this was my doing because I was admittedly the last one to have it. I remembered having it in my hand up in our bedroom so that I could bring it downstairs on my next trip down, but then… I draw a blank. We looked upstairs, downstairs, in bags, in luggage, under cushions… twice, three times… and then it was found. Right there on the bed, plain as day, just sitting there, where everyone had looked twice. Isn’t that always the way?! I think the house sighed in relief right along with us.

Needless to say she was thrilled and all was again right with the world.

This brought us up to 9:45 am, and my dad showed up, we loaded the car, and we said our goodbyes.

I had to pry my wife away from Ollie.

So finally we piled into the car and headed to the ship.

Up Next: APLAPLA to PLAPLAP and DIS Friends

Upcoming Sailings:
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
firstmickey
Always Right Riddle Goddess of Chaos
I am an educated competent woman...I just had a momentary lapse
What the quah is going on?
I can sing bad versions of Mama Mia

I can't even make fun of your tie tying thing at 6:15am because I am an obsessive compulsive nutjob also.

Could you please hurry and get on the boat already!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #21
OlliesMomma
Earning My Ears

Jeez honey, I can't even defend myself with these photos that you posted.

Truly, our cruise was more than I ever thought it could be.... the best we have had to date. BUT... as much as I love to go, I'm not looking forward leaving Ollie anytime soon. It was beyond hard for me to leave him and of course he hasn't left my side since I got home!!!

It's ALL about the lil' Loveys! LoveyLoaves Rescue & Sanctuary
OlliesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
anetnmike
Why yes, I was named after a mousketeer!

Hi Olliesmomma! I am SO happy that you had a blast on your trip!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

I love the fan buttons! And you now have intrested me to try the mcgriddle samich!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
RLccweems
DIS Veteran

We just got home last night.....

It was so nice meeting you and your family!! We all loved our Ollie buttons....and i have to tell everyone. By the end of the week; everyone on the ship we meet thought he was our puppy! I finally gave up trying to explain the story behind the buttons and said he was my puppy!!

I can't wait to read the rest of your TR.....
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #25
SteamboatWillie1021
Mouseketeer

Great start...you are an extremely good writer. I seriously feel like I am in second grade as I do my TR and even considered starting with "Once upon a time...." That is how every story starts, right? ....anyway I also wanted to tell you how much I love how you guys LOVE your doggy. I love when people treat their animals like part of the family BECAUSE THEY ARE!! We have cats but I am equally in love with ALL animals so I can relate to how hard it is to leave home without them.
SteamboatWillie1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #26
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstmickey View Post
Could you please hurry and get on the boat already!
Patience please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
And you now have intrested me to try the mcgriddle samich!
They are positively delectable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLccweems View Post
It was so nice meeting you and your family!! We all loved our Ollie buttons....and i have to tell everyone. By the end of the week; everyone on the ship we met thought he was our puppy! I finally gave up trying to explain the story behind the buttons and said he was my puppy!!
OlliesMomma says that you can pretend, but he's her baby and always will be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamboatWillie1021 View Post
Great start...you are an extremely good writer. I seriously feel like I am in second grade as I do my TR and even considered starting with "Once upon a time...." That is how every story starts, right? ....anyway I also wanted to tell you how much I love how you guys LOVE your doggy. I love when people treat their animals like part of the family BECAUSE THEY ARE!! We have cats but I am equally in love with ALL animals so I can relate to how hard it is to leave home without them.
Thanks so much for the kind words and thanks for reading. Our pets are definitely members of the family and get treated as such... probably too much! They are spoiled spoiled spoiled!!

Next update is coming sometime tomorrow!

Upcoming Sailings:
Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #27
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

After the tremendous build up of your pre-trip report this wonderful first installment has already exceeded expectation and I am desperate for more!
Cute doggy too!
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #28
RoyalVizier
So Bleahlicious

Day 1: APLAPLA to PLAPLAP and DIS Friends

It was 10:00 am and we were off. This is a drive we have taken three times previously, and it never loses its luster. The reward at the end of that 45 minute drive is just so amazingly awesome that the time just flies by in anticipation of seeing that beautiful ship waiting for us as we cross over that bridge to Port Canaveral. You'd think that it'd be the other way around and that it'd drag by and the scenery would just agonizingly creep by, but it's not for us. By 10:50 am we were driving through the twisting roads leading to the drop off area at the terminal, and all passengers in the car were ogling out of the windows at the Disney Magic.

There's a lot of construction around the terminal area around the parking lot and around the entrance. There were giant signs asking our pardon for the dust because they are preparing room for the Dream and the Fantasy. Hey, no problem there... if two new gorgeous Disney ships are at the end of the construction, then fine by me!

So we were dropped at the curb, we said our goodbyes to my dad, the porter took our luggage (only three full size bags this time), and we headed through all security points and ended up at check-in upstairs in the terminal. Check-in was flawless. We’d done all of the necessary paperwork and filled out the appropriate forms online prior to arrival so we had everything we needed. We were also using birth certificates which are still an acceptable form of I.D. (for now) so we were pretty much good to go.

Check it out... I haven't even boarded yet and I already have my wallet out.

We were given room 2540 on Deck 2 (Category 9) which is about halfway between Midship and Forward on the Starboard side, and we also received the 8:15 pm APLAPLA dining rotation at table #7. Now, on our previous two 7 night DCL cruises we have had the PLAPLAP dining rotation which we are huge fans of, so it was decided very quickly upon receiving our Key To The World cards that although there was nothing wrong with the APLAPLA rotation, we would see if there was any possibility of switching in Rockin’ Bar D upon boarding. I think this probably falls into my wife’s and my category of liking the first version of what you experience. If you read a book and then go see the film version of that book than most likely you like the book better. If you see a play with one actor, and then see the play several years later with another actor you may like the first one better. We’ve just always had PLAPLAP on 7 night cruises so that is what we enjoy. Plus Parrot Cay is our favorite dining room and that rotation places you there the most and also formal night falls at Lumiere’s which also just seems right to us. Just our opinion and preferences.

Something new to us with this cruise is the additional process of getting your pictures taken for added security. There are now banks of cast member manned computers over to the right hand side of check in next to the Mickey Head gangway entrance where you get your picture taken. The pictures don’t appear on your Key To The World card, but when your KTTW card is scanned upon leaving and returning to the ship on port days, your photo appears on the screen along with all of the other usual information. It’s a good extra security measure, and it only took 2 minutes tops for all three of us to have our pictures taken. No problem at all. Although on second thought, it may be more accurate if they take your picture when you’re a sweaty mess with sunglasses on and your hair plastered to your head. That’d be a more accurate representation when you’re coming back on board from adventures in port.

During this process a fellow Dis’er, RLccweems, came up and introduced herself having spotted my wife’s Dapplebeans button. The button was already paying off as an attention-grabber! We’d actually had a bit of interaction with her over the last few weeks prior to seeing her in the terminal so she was fully aware to be watching for my wife and her button. She was so sweet. Knowing my wife’s love for her baby pup, RL made her a miniature Ollie scrapbook to put some photos in! So cute.

In turn, my wife handed out Dapplebeans buttons to them while we visited with them so they could help to spread the weenie love all over the sea.

We spend a lot of time doing the usual terminal thing: wandering around, gawking at the floor and just enjoying the lead up to boarding.

At about 11:45 am they started boarding, and by about 12:20 am they called boarding pass #9 so we were all set. We took that magical walk over the gangway and were announced in that glorious atrium. Then a beeline for the elevators to get up top to Deck 9 and have lunch at Topsiders.

Just a sampling of what I had personally… Sweet & Sour Pork, Fried Rice, Mac & Cheese, Corn Dog Nuggets, Ham & Cheese Salad, Peach Cobbler, Apple Cake… and probably a bit more. I notice there’s no chocolate substance on that list so I have to be missing something.

An ice sculpture of any kind never fails to amaze me.

Look how happy I get in front of food.

Look at this cut of meat!

It was labeled Smoked Steamship, which I’d never even heard of before, but the trusty Wikipedia says that it’s pretty much the whole rear of the animal. Yowza! I never saw this poor lady again after this first day. I hope the Steamship didn’t fall on her.

And of course the staple Mac & Cheese which my daughter has been waiting two years for because don’t you know DCL has the world’s greatest Mac & Cheese.

We sat outside and ate, but it was HOT! Sweltering HOT! I can say now having returned that it is hotter here in Florida than anywhere we were in the Caribbean. I have to say again that the weather was absolute perfection. High 80’s on sea days with that wonderful breeze, and it seemed a tad hotter on port days, but not too unbearable. We sat in the shade out on deck outside of Topsiders and enjoyed our food and basked in the fact that we were on the Disney Magic on vacation, and that it had begun! I can’t possibly express the feeling. After the utter crap of the year to be sitting there on the ship knowing that there was nothing but an ocean of fun lying in front of us… unbelievable joy!

After we stuffed our faces, my daughter and I decided to go ahead and see if we could get our dining rotation changed, so my wife decided to stay put where she was while we went down to Rockin’ Bar D to see what we could do. This was at about 1:05 pm and there wasn’t a soul there. There was no line. Actually there was literally not a single guest there aside from the crew members manning the request desks. So we visited the dining table first where we met Yolande. I asked her if there happened to be any availability for the PLAPLAP rotation.

By the way… completely off topic: every time I say PLAPLAP out loud I think of the Aflac commercials.

Anyway… She asked if there was any particular reason I wanted to switch and I just explained what I said above, that it was simply a preference. She said that it just so happened that she was the Restaurant Manager of that dining rotation and she would be happy to switch us over. Yay! She said to just show up at Parrot Cay that evening instead of Animator’s Palette and ask for her and she’d take care of everything. Yay!

So we thanked her profusely and went a few steps to the next table to see about Palo reservations for my wife and I. First choice was Thursday evening around 7:00 pm. We chose that because it was our last sea day with Castaway Cay the next morning and it was also an Animator’s Palette night which is our least favorite of the three dining rooms. Well Thursday at 7:00 pm was available so… Yay again!

We went back up top to meet up with my wife. She was right where we’d left her at the Topsiders table, and I have to admit I was a bit surprised. I kind of expected to find her passed out on the deck with about a dozen empty cups with melted chocolate ice cream oozing out in a pool around her head, lips stained black as if she’d gone face first into a vat of Hershey’s syrup, but no… I guess her will is stronger than I realize.

Although it hadn't happened yet, this was a scene that played out over the week frequently.

So anyway... I sat down next to her and told her that she was going to love me forever, and I told her about our good fortune down in Rockin’ Bar D. She was so glad that we’d gotten everything we wanted. What a way to start off the week! PLAPLAP and Palo. A winning combo! So exciting! Well, she was burning hot (probably because there wasn’t any ice cream in her system) so we had to get in out of the sun so we went inside on Deck 9 and found that it was about 1:20 pm so we wanted to head down to Deck 2 to see about getting into our room.

Up Next: Sailing Away and The First Dinner

Upcoming Sailings:
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #29
DisneyWhirled
DIS Veteran

RoyalViz-

Your writing is impeccable, you really hold your audience!!

I asked my DH if he know what a Windsor knot was and his reply was that he doesn't even know how to tie his tie the right way! I like your idea of the video with instructions!

Can't wait to read more about the trip!!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
Andrea_loves_Disney
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! You were getting on the Magic the day we got off.... sniff sniff...already seems like so long ago! Anxious to hear more about your trip!

Andrea_loves_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: