Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

just found your report--so far so good!!!!
I hope your daughter wasn't getting truly sick on your first day of vacation
Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

You have a lovely family... and the Poly is a really lovely resort...

Oddly enough the last Disney trip-we stayed at the Poly-and the last two days it rained BUCKETS...I remember having ressies at Kona one night and we got drenched just coming from our room...

One of us always gets sick on vacation-usually its something gastrointestinal related-probably a result of eating so differently away from home... (My daughter even included my illness when we took them to London for a week in her scrapbook... and then the following night my husband got sick and that's included too-it will be so lovely for our granchildren (someday hopefully) to remember us that way...

I can't wait to read more and read about Star Wars...my 6 year old DS just got into that this year...btw do you know if you can still make a light saber at DTD?

Eagerly awaiting more trippie...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
ryansall
Mouseketeer

Quote:
PracPerfPatricia You have a lovely family... and the Poly is a really lovely resort...

Oddly enough the last Disney trip-we stayed at the Poly-and the last two days it rained BUCKETS...I remember having ressies at Kona one night and we got drenched just coming from our room...

One of us always gets sick on vacation-usually its something gastrointestinal related-probably a result of eating so differently away from home... (My daughter even included my illness when we took them to London for a week in her scrapbook... and then the following night my husband got sick and that's included too-it will be so lovely for our granchildren (someday hopefully) to remember us that way...

I can't wait to read more and read about Star Wars...my 6 year old DS just got into that this year...btw do you know if you can still make a light saber at DTD?
Thank you for the kind words. I think they're quite lovely myself.

The rain was only an issue a few times, but it was bad when it was.

We always get sick on vacation, too. But only at Disney. I've been to Disney with the flu more times than I care to remember. Trust me, it gets worse, but we manage to power through.

I think they've moved the lightsaber building over to Tatooine Traders in the Studios. I know they have it there, but not sure if it's still at DtD.

Quote:
shannon47142 just found your report--so far so good!!!!
I hope your daughter wasn't getting truly sick on your first day of vacation
Thanks, keep reading! Everything turns out magical. It's Disney, after all!

Okay, got to log off the DIS and run to Boston for a flight home. Enjoy your Sunday everyone! More TR tomorrow.

PTR Easter '10 - Lose the Weight and the Trip will be Great!

Visit my May 2009 "I'm sick, no I'm sick" Trip Report

Me 32, DW , DS 8 , DD 3

[COLOR="Red"]WDW Vet - Trips in '82, '98, '00 and every year, 2-3 times a year from '01-'09

Next trip: April 5-11 - Current PTR and October 13-17 (adults only! Woo-hoo!)

DL Trips in '01, '05, '07
Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #19
ryansall
Mouseketeer

Star Wars...nothing but Star Wars

Okay, I know I used that joke in my last post, but I love me some Bill Murray.

So, day 2 of our trip began bright and early, with a quick run to Capt. Cook's for bacon and eggs, then two cups of coffee and pastries from the Kona coffee bar. In the room, we had DS's usual breakfast of cereal that we had purchased at Wal-Mart, and DD's breakfast of bananas and yogurt. After eating, it was pile in the car and head to the Studios time!

Today was DS's day. We planned on a full day of Star Wars Weekends before spending the evening relaxing. So, he was psyched for Star Wars.

We got there early, so we could see the stormtroopers on top of the entrance. Those guys are hilarious!

As soon as the gates opened, the stampede began! We had a plan - TSMM FPs, and then GMR followed by Star Wars mania. So I sprinted to TSMM to get FPs. Then I saw the line! It stretched all the way back to Voyage of the Little Mermaid!

I waited patiently, taking a couple of pictures while I waited to get up front.

After about 15 minutes, I got the FPs for 1:00 p.m. and headed back to GMR, to meet up with the family. DS and DD were playing in the courtyard, trying their hands in different celeb hand prints.

We had a great movie ride (yes, silly pun) and headed from there over towards Muppets, as we were planning to grab FPs for Star Tours, but our TSMM passes weren't up yet. First, though, it was snack time already, so we went to the Writer's Stop, and discovered a great surprise.

DW and I love Castle, the new detective show on ABC, because we're big Nathan Fillion fans from his work on Firefly. So to see this poster was a great surprise.

We grabbed some cookies, including the carrot cake cookie from the Writer's Stop and chowed down for a few moments on the bench looking over at the speeder bike. Then...

My kids are weird, in that they love old TV - black and white Mickey cartoons, Schoolhouse Rock, Silly Symphonies and the Muppets. So they were thrilled to see this.

Finished with Muppets, our FP time was ready, so we went to Star Tours first to get new FPs. We were a few minutes early, so we waited and saw a minute of the trivia challenge on the Jedi stage.

At that point it was decision time. The procession of Star Wars celebs began on Hollywood Boulevard at 11, so if we wanted to see it, we had to camp out near Indy, then somehow fit in lunch before our TSMM time at 1 p.m. What to do!

Next: Parade or not to parade? An angry DS, Wicket's Warehouse silliness, and

Me 32, DW , DS 8 , DD 3

[COLOR="Red"]WDW Vet - Trips in '82, '98, '00 and every year, 2-3 times a year from '01-'09

Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

what crazy lines for TSM fastpasses
looking forward to the rest of your day
Old 06-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
ryansall
Mouseketeer

Quote:
shannon47142 what crazy lines for TSM fastpasses
Yeah, I've done the TSMM sprint about 5 times now, and that is the worst I have ever seen it. Must have been a Memorial Day weekend thing, I guess. That combined with Star Wars Weekends.

Me 32, DW , DS 8 , DD 3

Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
SunnieRN
DIS Veteran

Your family is adorable!! Love the pictures of Tom Sawyer island as I have only been on the disneyland island!!
Looking forward to more!!

Thanks eandesmom!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #23
Disneyvirg
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your TR. Did you guys stay in Rarotonga? That's where we stayed. Loved the location!

Looking forward to more updates.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Love your TR! Both my DS11 and DS8 love Star Wars. Someday I want to go to Star Wars Weekend.

Castle is a great show! I've loved Nathan Fillion since he was on One Life To Live. Got a big kick of how he made a "Soap" joke in one of the episodes of Castle.

So did you enjoy the race in NH?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #25
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

OMG-good heads up for TSM-fastpasses-we will make sure to be there as early as possible for rope drop...

I don't think your kids are wierd at all for watching the old Dis cartoons from the 30s or the Silly Symphonies or Schoolhouse Rock (my kids watch them too...)

What's this about a carrot cake cookie???

You had mentioned earlier that there was a store that you could buy/make lightsabers at the Studios-since DS is now into Star Wars (to the great delight of DH-unfortunately DD never quite shared his enthusiasm) I'm sure the two of them would be thrilled to make them-do you know the name is/can you still make them?

(I'm really enjoying your trip report btw...)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
ryansall
Mouseketeer

Quote:
SunnieRN Your family is adorable!! Love the pictures of Tom Sawyer island as I have only been on the disneyland island!!
Looking forward to more!!
Thanks so much. I'm very attached to them. We really enjoyed TSI, and we'll probably go back next time we're there. It doesn't hold a candle to Disneyland's island now that it's Pirate's Lair, though.

Quote:
Disneyvirg Enjoying your TR. Did you guys stay in Rarotonga? That's where we stayed. Loved the location!
We did!

It was an amazing location. Right out of the Great Ceremonial House and take a right and you're at the room. Just a short walk to the pool. For someone who has mainly stayed at Pop or All Stars, it was very nice. Easy to get to food, pool, beach, car and buses. Awesome!

Quote:
Pikester Love your TR! Both my DS11 and DS8 love Star Wars. Someday I want to go to Star Wars Weekend.

Castle is a great show! I've loved Nathan Fillion since he was on One Life To Live. Got a big kick of how he made a "Soap" joke in one of the episodes of Castle.

So did you enjoy the race in NH?
You've got to go to Star Wars Weekends if your kids love Star Wars. It's the best opportunity to see every possible character, get pictures and really make the kids' day.

Isn't Castle the best? DW and I were huge Buffy fans, so we first saw Nathan Fillion on Firefly, by Joss Whedon of Buffy fame. I've followed him ever since, and Castle's the first show that stuck! We love it. Monday nights are wine, cheese and Castle night in our house.

I was working at the race, but it was kind of fun. The travel was not, though. 9 hours in a plane Saturday, a missed flight and two delays on Sunday. That's what you get when you plan a last minute trip.

Quote:
PracPerfPatricia OMG-good heads up for TSM-fastpasses-we will make sure to be there as early as possible for rope drop...

I don't think your kids are wierd at all for watching the old Dis cartoons from the 30s or the Silly Symphonies or Schoolhouse Rock (my kids watch them too...)

What's this about a carrot cake cookie???

You had mentioned earlier that there was a store that you could buy/make lightsabers at the Studios-since DS is now into Star Wars (to the great delight of DH-unfortunately DD never quite shared his enthusiasm) I'm sure the two of them would be thrilled to make them-do you know the name is/can you still make them?
Yeah, get there early for TSM passes, or you'll be out of luck later.

Glad to see my kids aren't the only ones enjoying the old cartoons. They're just better. Not that I run a blog for that sort of thing.

Carrot cake cookie! It's divine. Like two slices of carrot cake with cream cheese icing in the middle. Drool....

The store at the Studios that has lightsabers is Tatooine Traders, right at the exit of Star Tours. I don't know if they still have them at Once Upon a Toy at DtD or not.

Sorry for no updates yesterday, but it was DD's 3rd birthday! We celebrated all day, but I'll try to post a TR update later today.

Me 32, DW , DS 8 , DD 3

Old 07-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
sweetmama
Earning My Ears

I think our families would get along great. I love Castle and love me some Nathan Fillion. Also my girls have some of the Muppet Shows on DVD and my youngest loves the "old school" cartoons
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #28
ryansall
Mouseketeer

Disgruntled Children and the Solution

Alright, so when last I left us, we were in the Studios, with a decision to make - watch the Star Wars parade or head back to TSM to use our FP and have lunch. Could we do all three?

A little backstory - DS had been on an allowance system since January. The goal was to teach him responsibility. He had to learn to clean his room, do his homework, read a book above grade level (he's trying to get an Accelerated Reading certificate) and take a quick shower. We told him to save some of his allowance for SWW, because he would inevitably want some of the toys they had there.

Of course, being a 7 year old boy, he didn't save any, and when we got to WDW, all he had left was his $25 gift card he got for Christmas from some friends of ours. So as DW and I are deciding how to manage the parade, TSM and lunch, he's doing this:

And suddenly exclaims, "I want to go to Wicket's Warehouse."

To explain for those of you who haven't been to SWW, Wicket's Warehouse is the big open space right next to TSM, where they stock all the SWW merchandise. It usually has horrendous lines, and it was not in our plans. But, we had told him we would let him have this day to do mostly what he wanted. What to do?

DW and I insisted that he see the parade, because he's a Star Wars fanatic, and especially loves clone/stormtroopers. So, we told him we would watch the parade, ride TSM, eat lunch, ride Star Tours, then do Wicket's Warehouse. He consented, but not happily.

So, we watched the parade, including stormtroopers:

More stormtroopers:

A few clone troopers:

More stormtroopers:

Folks, I could go on like this for a while. DW tried to take as many pictures of troopers as she could, because she knew DS would like them. But all through the parade, he looked like this:

We figured he was hungry, but also grumpy about not getting his way to go to Wicket's Warehouse. The parade finished, and we headed through to the backlot to get something to eat. We ate at Studio Catering Co., which refreshed everyone. Very good grilled chicken and black beans and a salad that DW and I shared.

After lunch, DS and I rode Star Tours, which, combined with lunch perked him up, as we waited for our TSM FPs to come due. So, we toured the backlot area. I managed to find the Singin' in the Rain umbrella for the first time.

DS posed as a Stormtrooper, which made him happy.

Soon, it was finally time for TSM! While there, the ride broke down while we were in line, so they called in a supervisor. So we waited, and waited. We passed the time taking silly pictures of the kids.

The ride got fixed after about 10 minutes, and I look over as I'm getting ready to get on the ride, and there's one of my former co-workers! He's the back end operations supervisor at the Studios now, so we chatted briefly then it was time to rock TSM!

We finished that, and DS finally got to go to Wicket's Warehouse.

So, after all that commotion, what did he get? Two action figures he could have bought for about 2/3 the price at Target.

It was his money, though, so we got them and left, and headed to our last Studios attraction of the day, the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.

This was another one DS had been clamoring to do. He's a big Indy fan as well, so we kept meaning to do this, but the times would always not work out. You can tell he was happy.

Unfortunately, the other member of our traveling party was not feeling so great.

As far as we could tell, she wasn't sick, but tired. We had monitored her carefully today, to make sure there were no problems after the previous evening's rain and her freezing experience in Crystal Palace.

We watched the show (loved it!) and decided to call it a day at the Studios. I still wanted to see Block Party Bash, and thought DS would enjoy it, but we figured discretion was the better part of valor, considering we had several more days to go. But there was a stop to make on the way back to the hotel...

Me 32, DW , DS 8 , DD 3

Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #29
shannon47142
DIS Veteran

at least your son ended the day happy
love the umbrella pose
Old 07-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #30
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Loved your DD doing her silly face! That must be the universal silly face for the younger set as I remember my kids doing that face whenever I asked them to strike a "silly pose".

My older son would have pouted for maybe a couple of minutes and then got into the parade while my younger son would have kept the pout going through the parade, TSM, lunch and even a little bit in the store. That kid can hold a pout!

Now I finally see what the umbrella looks like. I've tried looking for it before and other times I've completely forgotten about it. I did remember to check out "the-net-full-of-jello" at the Muppets 3-D.

Ooops! I didn't realize you had to work the race in NH. Our local news station was down there keeping an eye on the race and the crowds. Looked like the stands were pretty full considering the economy. I think I saw where they were selling tickets on the cheap to get people there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: