Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #256
godalejunior
DIS Veteran

Thank you for such a detailed response. We have been milling it around for about six months now and still have not came to a decision. I like to hear from other people how they came to the decision just in case we miss something or have not thought of it.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #257
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Augh....to get the photopass CD or not????? I have E's birthday Knight's Package session (which is getting funnier to think about, for him too, as time goes by), some pix with Mater and Lightning, then him meeting Steamboat Mickey, and meeting Pooh. That's it. But they are cute pictures!

Or maybe I should just get the download of the best Mickey pic, then upload that as my "own" pic, and upload my own pictures and get the NEW personal archive photo CD with the edits they allow for that?

Augh....

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #258
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Seems that my full time job today is photopass. I have the 4 small photo occasions up to nearly 100 versions now, and I'm only on the FIRST photo occasion so far.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #259
toocherie

By the way, the foregoing is not LEGAL advice
I'm also easy--it says so on all the bathroom walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Seems that my full time job today is photopass. I have the 4 small photo occasions up to nearly 100 versions now, and I'm only on the FIRST photo occasion so far.
Photopass frustrates me because it is sooooo cumbersome to use and takes SOOO long. I wish there was just a choice of "add every border to every pic"--

toocherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #260
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Ooh I'm almost done...might upload a few faboo ones I took, to get prints with cute borders...

While in CA I was bitten by mosquitos like crazy! Brother has a huge backyard...pool, lawn, area with a fireplace outside...E and I spent a lot of time outside and I have bites on all my limbs. No one else was bitten, mind you...

One on my leg is freaking me out...I'm kinda maybe thinking that that one was NOT a mosquito. I'm keeping an eye on it, though if it's going to get really scary I hope it does it today, or in a week or so once COBRA is finalized insurance-wise.

So it turns out that, even though our insurance covers a certain amount for fertility, the drug that Robert was supposed to go on is not covered by our prescription insurance, because it's officially for fertility. Explain THAT logic! Yes, fertility is one reason (though it turns out his analysis was not as bad as the doc expected), but it's mainly to *normalize* him. Since we're not going to pay over $300 for a one month treatment, he and the doc have to go back to the drawing board.

And in other Robert news, news that is OK to talk about because everyone involved knows the situation, his current place of employment continues to try to figure out ways they can keep him (they are working on a *second* pay raise inside of one month), but he's keeping options and communication open, and today he's at an interview for his "old" company. So it's still exciting times 'round here!

While gone, I lost an obvious amount of weight, and have a nice little tan going (despite my 30 and 45 spf slathered on...funny how my legs, which don't get ANY sunscreen, are the lightest, while the parts I constantly reapplied it to are the darkets...hmm...), and my hair has lovely bright blonde streaks. Perhaps we should consider a move to CA?

(by the way, working on TR and working on uploading pictures)

Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #261
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

just talking to pass the time while uploading pictures

Well, I'm disappointed in the borders for uploaded pictures, but I think I'll get one print. Harumph.

However, the photopass people are gooooood. I went to a different section of their site, and they have a picture of a desk area with all sorts of photopass products...half of them in the picture are pictures from my account. It's seamless...the photo on the computer screen is one of DS and Pooh, the one on the calendar on the wall is another pic, and so on. Very good.

Wow I took a lot of pictures during our little jaunt! The utter lack of photos from DCA bugged me so much I think I went overboard! Thankfully DS was so good for almost the whole time we were there and was right with me the whole time (though a few times he thought I'd left him, poor kid, even though I was just behind him), and he put up with me taking pictures, even of the scenery!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #262
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Oh, get the photopass pictures. Yes, our California mosquitoes are awful. Whenever my daughters get bites they swell up like crazy. Benedryl helps a little but the one thing that always helps is Atarax but it will knock you on your fanny. Be warned. Have you tried an Aveeno oatmeal bath? Or a baking soda bath. Those help them too. They are also good for sunburns.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #263
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Well, I'm disappointed in the borders for uploaded pictures, but I think I'll get one print. Harumph.

However, the photopass people are gooooood. I went to a different section of their site, and they have a picture of a desk area with all sorts of photopass products...half of them in the picture are pictures from my account. It's seamless...the photo on the computer screen is one of DS and Pooh, the one on the calendar on the wall is another pic, and so on. Very good.

Wow I took a lot of pictures during our little jaunt! The utter lack of photos from DCA bugged me so much I think I went overboard! Thankfully DS was so good for almost the whole time we were there and was right with me the whole time (though a few times he thought I'd left him, poor kid, even though I was just behind him), and he put up with me taking pictures, even of the scenery!
Do you have photoshop? I have had so much fun with the photoshop I bought last week. There are these borders and things you can add to the pictures. There are so many things you can do and I am amazed at how it fixes the color and lighting pictures to improve them.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #264
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

and awayyyyy we go!

As I think we all know, my SIL sprung the option for staying at Disneyland on me last minute. She adores her nephew and wants him to have fun, and she knew he would have fun. So I made the reservation that was possible and not a gabillion (new word created by DS this morning) dollars, and we got ready.

We left around 9am. Most people say that the drive time between San Diego and Disneyland Resort is about 1.5 hours. That's true from downtown SD. But when you're way out there in the hills of Chula Vista, it's 2 hours. A long, boring trip, according to the 5 year old I know.

We saw SIL off on her commute, and then we hit the road. We made good time, no traffic, and got to town in due time. I found out that a Durango (7 seater) can indeed do a U-turn on Disneyland Drive, and I pulled into PPH's driveway behind about 4 different people doing the same thing as I was doing.

We hopped out, locked the car, and ran in to do "early registration", as the paperwork calls it. Put a card on the account for resort fee (still 13.80/night including tax) and other expenses...since it was a debit card, they told me they put a hold of $50 on it. Fine with me. They gave me an adorable folder that was an advertisement for DVC, which included the PPH info including MM dates, Times calendar, and park maps. We got our keys with names on them, and the keycard folder gave me my PIN code to identify myself with and a phone number to call "after 3", to get my room number.

Ran back to the car, buckled in, pulled around to the parking garage by going around the side of the building (I didn't get back out on the road, just continued forward and around from the driveway).

You no longer get a parking permit! That was interesting to me. You get a parking slip from the machine, and you just show your keycard when you leave. This is new even as of last December, when we got a parking permit.

Whoo, parking is tight in a bigger car! I finally found a spot I was comfy pulling into, arranged things in the car so they could not easily be seen (yes, going against what I always advise against!), and we moved along.

E wanted to see the inside of the hotel, instead of just leaving from the garage, so we made our way along that way.

There was a recent post somewhere (here? elsewhere?) showing that the concept of PPH's pool being BOTH on the "roof" and available to be seen in pool view rooms is confusing.

This shows part of the pool area, which is on something like the 3rd floor of *part* of the hotel, while the bulk of the hotel is above it.

There was this odd area that looked like *someone* could get into or out of the pool area and straight to the garage, but doors seemed impassable for the normal person.

That said, we didn't go to the pool, so it's possible they were easily opened from that side (why you would want to go straight from the pool area to the parking garage is unknown).

Sherry Sherry...I finally noticed the sunscreen smell! They must not pump it in during Yuletime, maybe...though we were there that September...maybe I just thought there were some heavy suntan lotion users around?

We had occasion to visit the bathrooms on the second floor...no one was around, so I snapped a pic.

My dude with Goofy.

Note the lightsaber (missing the end cap b/c they're cheap). Every Single Child that saw that thing, whether lit up or not, wanted it. Parents, put it in your budget (alas, SIL bought it for him at DCA and I don't know how much it was). Every Single Child. In fact, we weren't even out of the parking garage before we were asked where we got it (from the vendors that come out at dusk).

Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #265
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Yes, our California mosquitoes are awful. Whenever my daughters get bites they swell up like crazy.
Good to know I'm not alone. I don't remember it being this bad when I was growing up! But who really knows, right? And up here, I'm never bothered much by the little bloodsuckers, so I was surprised.

I'm planning on a baking soda paste if the itching comes back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Do you have photoshop?
No photoshop. Isn't that just the saddest thing you've ever heard (that is picture-related but not about losing your pictures, that is)?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #266
daisy_77
BL II - Blue Team
I had no idea that we shrink as the day goes on

Yes, it has begun!

daisy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #267
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Oh really? Oooooh! You got a whiff of the sunscreen smell? No, I guess they don't pipe it into the air during December because they must figure it is not summery enough to do that. That is a clever, subliminal tactic and yet it makes perfect sense seeing that the PPH is a sun/surf/beach-themed hotel. Very, very clever, that Disney. They know what they are doing, that is for sure. I am surprised they haven't piped in some sort of rustic aroma over in the GCH pool area!!

And you know something I have noticed whenever we leave the PPH parking lot - there is never anyone manning the booth or checking to see if we have a Room Key or anything. We usually just sail right on out of the lot, never having to prove we were guests! We always assumed that they onyl cared about why we were parking when we first arrived, but now that I think of it, I don't think anyone asked us anything when we arrived to park at PPH either!! Oh well, I guess that is why they no longer give the parking permits and instead ask for the room key proof on the way out (or cash, I suppose, if you parked without being a guest??).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #268
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Exploring time was done, and we headed out those front doors, made a left to the sidewalk, and crossed Disneyland Drive to get over to GCH.

I love this new Celebrate sign...I loved it in March when I saw it with Cheryl, and love it now. E was so good while I took multiple shots of it, to make sure I got a good one.

Walked to the front doors. Which are rarely closed. And if they are closed, they are rarely closed long enough to see them. But this is what they looked like.

As we were leaving the next mid-afternoon, we were behind women trying to get that pic from the opposite direction. They were so amazed that we hung back behind them, waiting, b/c so many people were just blowing past them, not knowing what they were doing.

So listen (literally)...right now there's construction going on in GCH. Off the lobby. This is what it sounds like. Sigh.

If for some unknown reason I'd decided to completely take advantage of my SIL and get that 1 bedroom suite for ONE night for OVER one thousand dollars, and this was the ambiance I was dealing with...well, I wouldn't be telling my SIL, that's for sure. And if she had been staying there, she would have taken her lawyerly self on up to the front desk and having a serious chat with a manager about it. Noisy.

In addition, the construction at least last Thurs and Fri was taking place at the pretty staircase and around the entrance to the clever hallway to DTD. So if you have a stroller or are otherwise on wheels, follow the detour signs! If you do not need a ramp, just go past the tarps, turn left, and follow things along. It's a lovely pathway, though I'll tell you, that parts reminds me of Edgefield hotel in Troutdale OR more than anything else...except that Edgefield has extensive grounds, makes their own beer, wine, and some spirits, and includes breakfast for much MUCH less.

Turn right out the sliding doors, twist and turn to the dark "tunnel" to DTD...see three lovely wedding gowns in the Disney Wedding display and watch Goofy's ear go up to hear Disney's Best Kept Secret, and at last you're in DTD!

Studio 365 is open, and in fact we saw them scurrying around like busy bees on the 25th and very early 26th (the day it opened) prepping everything.

It's amazing how much talking I can do without even getting to the esplanade!

At long long last we were in Disneyland, and E let me know that he would be needing a stroller. Well, OK...we hopped in line.

If only I had remembered the Critter Country part of this sign later on, when our stroller was moved to an unfindable place or "borrowed" by someone who thought their last name was ours and that they had parked their stroller in the same spot we did.

Around noon...

And lies, lies I tell you! By the time we got to the Splash line, it was 75 minutes.

We grabbed a Fast Pass instead. Then we went to join Pooh's dreams of Heffalumps and Woozles.

You know how there's so much discussion over whether people should join their friends or family up ahead in line? Well, what about having your family come back to you? We did that in DCA when we got separated, a different family did that for us in DCA when E and I went on the Zephyr, and I sure do wish the fragmented summer camp group of a gazillion people had done that for us, when we went on (and had half the group cut in front of us for)....the....

Canoes!

They have all kids 6 and under (or perhaps under 6...not sure, either one included DS) wear flotation vests, and the sign says that they have adult sizes available as well. The vests for the littler ones have the strap that goes between the legs and keeps the vest on...the bigger size didn't, but E kept looking for it.

He was a little nervous.

Oh look at that cute oar...they have two sizes of oar.

Whooie, was that painful! Fun, but painful on the shoulder. Our guide kept telling us to row row row...ouch. And of course it's not like anyone knows when to stroke...our boat was all over the place. The coxswains I rowed Crew with would have gone nutty with our group!

I enjoyed it, and if Robert ever gets a job down Anaheim way, I'm getting a summer job on the Canoes...might be the oldest one there, but I'd be a good one.

Our FP time still wasn't up, so we joined Pooh again. It *still* wasn't up, so we decided to snag some lunch at the French Market. We'd never been there before, so this was exciting.

E decided on the mac and cheese, and he was VERY happy with it.

I opted for the 4 Cheese Pasta and Vegetable Gratin. Yumm-o.

Now I don't know why they include "gratin" after "vegetable", but oh well. Well, maybe b/c there are some veggies IN the pasta dish, and the veggies on the side are just on the side.

I also don't know why people say they don't serve on proper plates anymore!

In looking at the description on allears, it must be the "smoked gouda" that made me nervous...there was a taste that my long-time vegetarian tastebuds kept identifying as bacon, and it must be that (unless they are sneaking in bacon, which my convo last year with Chef Chris causes me to think is absolutely NOT possible). It wasn't soooo bacony that I went to ask, I just figured it was something else, and I do believe it was.

There are shi-take mushrooms in it, and those were *delicious*.

The cornbread has actual corn in it, and was ridiculously good. The veggies were plain but had such veggie goodness I ate them all up.

FYI, when you ask for a cup of ice water now, they give you the itty bitty size...they're on to us.

We had a hard time finding a seat...so many people have their families sitting at tables without food, while so many WITH food but without place-savers in their party are looking around...it's the eternal theme park problem...thankfully I saw a table that hadn't yet been cleared. A CM saw me heading there, and rushed ahead of me to clear it. Yay CM! I couldn't hear or understand a single word he said, but he was still very kind to do that when he saw me heading towards that table (I'm sure he was on his way anyway).

I'll leave you with that while I do a few things around the house...

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-30-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added a thought, and hyphenated the name of a mushroom that the Dis doesn't like!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #269
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Well that truly was just a few things!

We were going on Splash because Eamon had finally decided that he really wanted to go. The last two trips he would say he wanted to go, then he would see the drop and change his mind. That's fine with me, I don't enjoy it all that much anyway, and I've never ridden it with hubby and don't want to! Right now he's still so much heavier than he wants to be that I know a drenching would happen, and that's not fun for me.

But this time E was absolute. He wanted to ride the ride. He wanted to see what was inside the mountain, even if it meant going downhill at the end.

Our FP time had come up, so we walked past that long line of people in the sun and got in the FP return line. E kept wanting to stop and wait with the standby line, he just couldn't believe the line we were in! Right before that last switchback in the line, we were stopped and merged with the standby people...I had NO poncho. Yikes! Right until that point I had been preparing him to sit in front of me, but then I remembered the back seat, where an adult and child can sit side by side. Glad I remembered that!

It was no problem for the CM to put us in row 3, and we settled back there together. There were some nerves going on....

Thankfully the ride has more downhills than I remembered, to get E used to the idea and feeling. Including that crazy one that I think isn't in the water? Every single time, at the end of that, though, I got my left shoulder slammed against the inside of the log, ouch.

He had a great time inside the mountain, and as the big hill approached I put my arm around him. Not b/c I thought he was going to fly out, but he'd been pretty freaked out by the lack of seatbelts or restraints, and wanted my arm around him! Actually, the lack of restraint almost kept him from the ride at the last moment...

The last hill was upon us....we got towards the bottom and I looked at him...the look on his face was impossible to describe. There was fear, horror, possibly the thought "who is this alien who looks like my caring mother who put me on this ride from Hades"....and then...he got hit with some water. The water erased that look, and replaced my seemingly terrified kid with a boy who was *cracking up*, just laughing, screaming "I got soaked!!!!" (it was a few drops), and so on. OMG what a turnaround. I was so so so glad.

And so, E loves Splash.

And you know what? Sitting in the back with my kid...I like the ride too, now.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #270
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Oh, and by the way? I got soaked.

I was wearing one of the skirts I'm always in right now, from Hanes.com, and my bottom got just drenched. E was laughing at me so dang hard as we got out of the log, and I had to keep checking to make sure the skirt hadn't drooped off from the weight of the water.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: