Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
callmeblissful
living in the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy

Question Which Disneyland Resort hotel?

My family just bought the three-day Summer Fun passes. We have already used up one of the days and were considering spending the next two days up there in one of the Disney hotels. We would probably come up in the morning and do California Adventure one day, the Disney Fantasmic and fireworks at night, stay the night at the resort, and then do Disneyland the next day. So my question is: which hotel? There will be seven of us - two adults, three teenagers, and two children - so we will need two rooms, which I can get an AP discount on. Here are the best rates and dates I found for a standard room at each hotel:

PARADISE PIER - $169
Wednesday, July 29 - Friday, July 31

DISNEYLAND - $189
Wednesday, July 22 - Friday, July 24
Monday, July 27 - Tuesday, July 28

GRAND CALIFORNIAN - $279
Thursday, July 23 - Friday, July 24
Monday, July 27 - Tuesday, July 28
Thursday, July 30 - Friday, July 31

Do any of you experts have recommendations? We wouldn't be spending a huge amount of time in the room, but would definitely like to have something close. Views wouldn't really matter...we just want to have a place for all of us to sleep. Also, would it be wisest to come the night before we do DCA? That's my personal opinion, but let me know...

Thanks!!! You guys here are GREAT!

Annual Passholder - Last trip December 20-21; next trip in January

Last edited by callmeblissful; 06-25-2009 at 04:01 PM.
callmeblissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Well, there are a few different variables to consider here. Is staying onsite a necessity or would a good offsite hotel that could accommodate your group for a cheaper price be acceptable? Personally, I am an onsite girl - I love the Disney feeling from beginning of the trip to the end, I love the perks, the Mickey head shampoo bottles in the bathroom, etc. But there is no denying the DLR hotels are costly and many, many people on this board swear by only staying off-property to save money and get better deals. Plus, many people say that some of the off-property hotels are just as close as the DLR hotels (just in a different direction from the gates). Is money an issue? Keep a close eye on the AP calendar because the rates seem to change in the blink of an eye as rooms are booked up. I was looking yesterday at one date in July which was NOT available at the PPH. Today it IS available but at a HIGH rate of $280 or something crazy. Sometimes you might see a good rate for one day and then the next day it changes!

I have stayed at all 3 DLR hotels but have never needed to get two rooms. I know there are suites at PPH and DLH which may accommodate more people, but, of course, the rates will be different. I like all 3 of them for different reasons. GCH is technically the closest, geographically. PPH doesn't have much to its property other than the hotel building itself, but DLH and GCH have lovely grounds and ambience. I would say that if ambience is not of the utmost importance, then stick with the PPH to get the cheapest price. It is cute, has a nice beach/surf/nautical theme with all kinds of 'sun and sea touches' around the rooms and hallways. Nice pastel colors.

But if you want something that feels like more of a resort, then go with the DLH or GCH.

As far as coming up the night before DCA, do you mean you would then be staying 2 nights, or would you just make that night the only night? I never think it is a bad idea to come up the night before, just to be rested and near DL so you don't have to make a mad scramble in the morning. Plus, there are plenty of things to do if you do come up the night before.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 06-25-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Typos
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
SilentFeline
Mouseketeer

If I were you, I would choose the Disneyland Hotel. My bf and I stayed there for our May 25-30 trip and we loved it. It has beautiful, lush grounds, and your kids will enjoy the very Disney-themed pool if you are planning on swimming in the middle of the day. We didn't stay in our room much either (only to sleep and for our mid-day breaks), but we still really enjoyed the atmosphere. I also really liked the walk through DTD to get to the parks, and the very close proximity of the hotel to the monorail, which was great for when we were too tired to walk back.

We walked through the Grand Californian a couple of times, and although it was nice, it just seemed like it was a regular hotel that was way over-priced. It doesn't have a Disney feel to it at all. Plus, since you mentioned that you wouldn't be staying in your room much, the Grand is a lot more than I would be willing to spend. I would stay at the Grand if I was there for my honeymoon or some other really special occasion, but it's too pricey for me otherwise.

I have never stayed at the PPH, although for only $20 more a night, I really think the DLH would be the best for your family and your needs.

As for your question about whether or not to arrive a day before to tour DCA...I don't think you need to change your current plan of arriving the same morning since DCA is always less crowded than DL. Also, since you are planning to stay on-site, you have the privilege of getting into DCA even faster by going through the GCH entrance near White Water Snacks. The GCH entrance will take you directly into the park so you can by-pass the esplanade and the longer walk, making the experience less stressful for you if you all arrive later than anticipated.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have lots of fun during your visit to the happiest place on Earth!
SilentFeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
callmeblissful

Thanks to both of you for your great advice. I would have loved to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but my mom wanted something closer. We are booked for a night at the Grand Californian in late July! We are big travelers and so I think the newer, resort feel of the GCH will please my parents the most. Thanks again for the advice, I will definitely keep it in mind once I am old enough to choose for myself! (Psst....Disneyland Hotel)

Old 06-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeblissful View Post
Thanks to both of you for your great advice. I would have loved to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but my mom wanted something closer. We are booked for a night at the Grand Californian in late July! We are big travelers and so I think the newer, resort feel of the GCH will please my parents the most. Thanks again for the advice, I will definitely keep it in mind once I am old enough to choose for myself! (Psst....Disneyland Hotel)
Oh, you will love the GCH! It does not have the same 'Disney feel' that the DLH and even the PPH have, but it is 'Disney' in a different sort of way. It is elegantly rustic, dim lighting in the lobby, with dark wood everywhere, high ceilings, a fireplace, comfy sofas and chairs to sit in, a piano player...and that great close proximity to the parks! As I said before, I love all 3 of the hotels for different reasons, and you can still enjoy the grounds of the DLH even without being a guest there. But GCH has Napa Rose and Storytellers Cafe, and the popular White Water Snacks, and is just a really nice place to stay. I hope I get to stay there again (I have done the GCH twice and hope I can get back there soon).

Have a wonderful time!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
callmeblissful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Oh, you will love the GCH! It does not have the same 'Disney feel' that the DLH and even the PPH have, but it is 'Disney' in a different sort of way. It is elegantly rustic, dim lighting in the lobby, with dark wood everywhere, high ceilings, a fireplace, comfy sofas and chairs to sit in, a piano player...and that great close proximity to the parks! As I said before, I love all 3 of the hotels for different reasons, and you can still enjoy the grounds of the DLH even without being a guest there. But GCH has Napa Rose and Storytellers Cafe, and the popular White Water Snacks, and is just a really nice place to stay. I hope I get to stay there again (I have done the GCH twice and hope I can get back there soon).

Have a wonderful time!
Thanks so much! That does sound great. I think we will really enjoy it! I know I will have opportunities to visit the other hotels in the future, so I won't waste a single moment in this one.

Tags
disneyland, dlr, hotel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: