Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #151
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

On page 3, I posted Fruitcake Cookies using Spice Cake Mix and assorted chopped dried fruit & nuts - like in those self serve bins in the trail mix section at health food stores. Soak in a little warm water to moisten before baking. Since these fruits are naturally dried & sweetened (and hand selected by you) vs. the petrified candied fruits in most fruitcakes, these cookies would actually be edible! These would be child friendly as there is no alcohol in them.

I snipped this post by Chobie, on the CB, who has an adult version of fruitcake cookies, in which you can use a good chocolate cake mix:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
I just concocted a chocolate fruit cake cookie which I think turned out really well. First I soaked chopped dried pineapple, apricots and cherries in a good dose of Grand Marnier until the fruit soaked up every last drop. Then I made a fudgy cookie dough with lots of good, melted chocolate, stirred in the fruit, some toasted pecans and chocolate chips. I baked off a few to taste and they were wonderful -- froze the rest of the dough to bake off before Christmas.
Make sure you taste test several of the soaked fruit, to make sure they have enough Grand Marnier, before adding to the dough.

There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #152
tigger813
DIS Veteran

getting in on the fun

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #153
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I made the oatmeal raisin cookies using the spice cake mix. They turned out really well! Not too sweet.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:51 AM   #154
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

OMG!!! This thread has been viewed 20,000 times!!!

Have a very sweet & happy new year, everyone!

There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
Thanks!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #155
babylisa4
DIS Veteran

Red face Pretty Pink Cookies for Valentine's

Pretty Pink Cookies for Valentines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I make these, everyone always wants the recipe.

Pink Cherry Chip Cookies
(I usually double this because everyone eats them up so fast!-the icing is what makes them so good)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1 box Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake Mix
¼ cup butter or margarine(softened)
1teaspoon butter flavoring
½ teaspoon vanilla flavoring
Few drops red food coloring(for looks only)
8 oz. cream cheese(softened)
1 egg
½ cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and cream cheese with ½ of the dry cake mix. Add egg, vanilla and butter flavoring and red food coloring. Mix in remaining cake mix and nuts. Drop rounded teaspoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. (kind of watch them-these cookies are better if they are sort of soft-not crunchy) Let cool completely.

Icing:
1 box powdered sugar
½ cup canned evaporated milk(more or less to get right consistency)
½ stick butter(softened)
Few drops red food coloring

Mix above ingredients together. Ice cookies when completely cooled. If stacking cookies, put wax paper between layers.

Notes: I have used regular milk or whipping cream but canned milk is better in the icing. Also, I’ve used canned cherry vanilla icing but homemade is better.

Note: I'm from Oklahoma and not every store has the Cherry Chip Cake mix so you might call your local grocery store. It's Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake Mix. I've purchased it in 2009 at a couple of our stores. We used to have Albertson's here and they didn't carry it.
babylisa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #156
babylisa4
DIS Veteran

Red face Pretty Pink Cookies for Valentine's

Pretty Pink Cookies for Valentines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I make these, everyone always wants the recipe.

Pink Cherry Chip Cookies
(I usually double this because everyone eats them up so fast!-the icing is what makes them so good)

1 box Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake Mix
¼ cup butter or margarine(softened)
1teaspoon butter flavoring
½ teaspoon vanilla flavoring
Few drops red food coloring(for looks only)
8 oz. cream cheese(softened)
1 egg
½ cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and cream cheese with ½ of the dry cake mix. Add egg, vanilla and butter flavoring and red food coloring. Mix in remaining cake mix and nuts. Drop rounded teaspoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. (kind of watch them-these cookies are better if they are sort of soft-not crunchy) Let cool completely.

Icing:
1 box powdered sugar
½ cup canned evaporated milk(more or less to get right consistency)
½ stick butter(softened)
Few drops red food coloring

Mix above ingredients together. Ice cookies when completely cooled. If stacking cookies, put wax paper between layers.

Notes: I have used regular milk or whipping cream but canned milk is better in the icing. Also, I’ve used canned cherry vanilla icing but homemade is better.

Note: I'm from Oklahoma and not every store has the Cherry Chip Cake mix so you might call your local grocery store. It's Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake Mix. I've purchased it in 2009 at a couple of our stores. We used to have Albertson's here and they didn't carry it.
babylisa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #157
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

I just saw this on the Bonnie Hunt Show. It's actually a recipe for fudge, (not fudge brownies,) but it uses brownie mix and only 2 other ingredients.

(Recipe modified from Lisa Lillien's book, Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World.)

Fudge...UNPUDGED!

1 box Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies Mix (the 18.3-oz. Family Size box)
1 can (16 oz.) pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 tbsp. Peanut Butter (or almond butter,) optional

Combine pumpkin with the brownie mix in a large bowl; stir until smooth (do not add anything else).

Grease or spray a small baking pan (8" X 8" work best - no larger!) with nonstick cooking spray and pour in the mixture. Spoon 2 tbsp. of Peanut Butter (room temperature) on top in little dollops around on top and use a knife to swirl peanut butter around to marblize the TOP (like in the picture.) Bake for approximately 35 minutes. The batter will remain very thick and fudgy, and it should look undercooked. Remove from oven. Cover with aluminum foil and let cool in fridge for a couple of hours. Cut into 36 squares and serve.

If you use the author's recommended, to use a reduced fat peanut butter, (or no peanut butter at all on top,) this is the approximate calories compared to a regular piece of fudge, made the normal way with sugar & cream that is approximately 200 calories per piece:

Serving Size: 1 piece (approx. 1.3 oz.)
Calories: 63
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 56mg
Carbs: 13.5g
Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 9g
Protein: 1g
1 Point!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also want to point out OceanAnnie's posts on the Budget Board a while ago, of how she makes Quick Dessert Breads using up fresh fruit and cake mixes. No need to buy separate bread mixes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post

Quick Dessert Breads

I have been making banana bread using Duncan Hines Extra Moist yellow cake mix. I wanted something quick and easy for all those bananas that go uneaten. My family goes in spurts with those things. Sometimes they are gone the same day I buy them. Other times they sit and start getting brown and that won't do. I use them up by adding them to the mix, and reducing the amount of water called for. Two loaf pans later, happy family.

I've since branched out. I made strawberry bread using the strawberry cake mix and adding strawberries that weren't being used. Really very good.

And I made the best apple bread using the Duncan Hines Extra Moist yellow cake mix. I diced up about 3-4 apples (took skins off) threw in about 2 handfuls of walnuts, about 2 handfuls of cranberries, 1 tspn vanilla, 1 tspn pumpkin pie spice , and since I love cinnamon I added another tspn of that. I used the immersion blender until smooth. So delicious!

I've also used dried apricots and believe it or not butternut squash (and zucchini)! I had bought some prepared butternut squash that the family did not like. At all. It came in a two pack. So I used the second package in a dessert bread. I think the butternut squash had nutmeg in it. It was wonderful. The family gobbled it up!!

The next bread I'm going to try is lemon (using the lemon cake mix). I have a container of Dole tangerines I'm going to use. I think I'll substitute about 1/2 of the water with the tangerine juice. The main thing to remember is to reduce the water some when you add the fruit.

The breads are gone in a snap around here. I try to have them handy for a quick breakfast or dessert. So if your fruit (and veggies) go uneaten, put it in a bread and watch it go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I made another batch of the apple bread, just pulled them out of the oven. Used up the last of our apples.

You make the cake batter as directed except scale back on the water. For the apple bread I use 1 cup of water (instead of 1 & 1/2 cups). I also scaled back on the oil (I forgot to mention that earlier for the apple bread). I use 1/4 cup of oil (instead of 1/3 cup). Bake in two loaf pans on 350 for about an hour. That usually does the trick. If it isn't brown enough, sometimes I bump the temp down to 275 and cook them for another 1/2 an hour or so.
(I've added a link to this post in the First Post so you can easily find the Fudge & Quick Dessert Breads recipes, instead of having to scroll through endless pages to find them. )
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 06-27-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #158
Elie JAMES
Earning My Ears

Thank you for posting this recipe
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #159
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Someone posted a link to this in a thread I started today......can anyone tell me if these cake cookies freeze well? I like to back ahead and if I can cook & freeze and then pull out & thaw, even better. Anyone? I'm excited to try a few

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #160
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I've not tried it but I don't see why they shouldn't - you could also freeze some unbaked so you can have them hot from the oven
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #161
AKL_Megs
I'd Rather Be At AKL!!!
I feel exposed if I'm not covered

Subscribing... This thread ROCKS!

AKL_Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #162
MazdaUK

My grocery order subbed my dried mango (for (relatively) guilt-free snacking) for dried berries and cherries what version of these would best disguise from my family that there's healthy things in their cookies? I've got choc chips and fudge chips I could throw in.......
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
Old 11-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #163
Imzadi
Point Free Zone
Like Pakey's

I've got some new cookie recipes coming. These are a bit more unusual than what we've already posted.

Also I'll be adding some other ways to use cake mix: a few breads and a cookie pizza and cookie pops. This gives you more variety to use up the cake mixes you have on hand. So everyone stay tuned!

Of course, anyone else who has some ideas & recipes, please post. It's holiday baking season again. Let's get this thread rocking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
My grocery order subbed my dried mango (for (relatively) guilt-free snacking) for dried berries and cherries what version of these would best disguise from my family that there's healthy things in their cookies? I've got choc chips and fudge chips I could throw in.......
Ooooh! The dried berries and cherries actually sound good! The grocery story might have done you a favor. Try the spice mix for a fruitcake cookie. I posted a recipe several posts back.

Or a chocolate fudge mix, with the fudge chips & cherries. It would be like chocolate covered cherries.

Chocolate mango chip cookies sound great too.

Soak the dried fruits in a little bit of warm water for about 10 minutes to rehydrate them, otherwise they may get too dried out while baking.
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 12-19-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #164
MazdaUK

Thanks for the ideas and I can't wait to see your next recipes!!

ETA I used devils food cake mix, the berries and cherries (soaked in apple juice for about an hour), fudge pieces and some left-over dark chocolate chunks. OMG these are awesome and sooooo cholatey! I'm taking them into work tomorrow to stop me OD'ing on them

Last edited by MazdaUK; 11-08-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #165
Emme
DIS Veteran

It's that time...bring those recipes on

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: