Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #121
maroo
DIS Veteran

Awesome update!!

I love that you got a little break and I am so glad you missed your family a little bit, but still had a lot of fun.

It is absolutely a gift from your husband to let you go and do something like this (and anyone else that helped take care of things at home for you). I think all Momma's deserve a vacation from even family every now and then!

I can't wait for MORE!!!

(And am I allowed to get a birthday button in September when my birthday is in March?!?)
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #122
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
Awesome update!!

I love that you got a little break and I am so glad you missed your family a little bit, but still had a lot of fun.

It is absolutely a gift from your husband to let you go and do something like this (and anyone else that helped take care of things at home for you). I think all Momma's deserve a vacation from even family every now and then!
You know what, it totally is a gift. Because when I asked him, and he had no issue with it, I knew that was one of the reasons I loved him. He's very "you go, have a good time, enjoy." No resentment, no issues, no problems.

God bless him. I'm so lucky.

Quote:
I can't wait for MORE!!!

(And am I allowed to get a birthday button in September when my birthday is in March?!?)
I totally intended to write another update, but I haven't yet. Bad TK, bad bad.

And I know one the DIS the whole birthday button not on your actual birthday has sparked huge debates, and Tink and I were very leary of the whole wearing the button thing, but after the encouragement of the CM on the phone, and at check in, we quickly abandoned our inhibitions..heh heh...and wore those buttons. I say go for it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #123
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
I say go for it! When I called recently to add my friend to my December trip, the CM practically made us celebrate our belated birthdays. She told us we needed to be celebrating something and a belated/early 40th birthday celebration was the perfect thing. She was the one who added it to our ressie, not me, so I won't feel guilty about wearing a pin whatsoever!

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #124
MegansMom
Always Ready to Go Back with my "Minnie" Megan Mouse!

Loved the update----how great that you stayed at CBR!!!! What fun must await you girlies!!!! Can't wait to hear more!

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #125
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Do Floridians come to New England, take a deep breath and say, "Ahh...New England air."
Not right now they don't. Because if they came to New England right now they'd need a snorkel to breathe.

But TK's right. There really is nothing quite like that first breath of Florida air. It's so unique. I'm sure it's a combination of heat and humidity and different flora and whatever they clean the airport terminal with but it is, distinctly, Florida. And I will admit to being places and all of a sudden exclaiming, "It smells like Florida right now!"

Quote:
and yet completely different
Completely new.

Quote:
Now, I think we all know how much I love my family. And part of me feels this little snag of guilt when I'm writing about this trip, because you know what? I had a good time, and I had a good time without them. With my girl Tink. And that's not to say I don't love them, and that I didn't think of them fondly during the trip, but I hope you won't call me a bad mother if I say, I didn't wish they were there. Granted, it was only four days, and really, we're all going together in September as a big family, so it didn't leave me with that kind of guilt. It only left me with the...should I be feeling worse about liking this independence?

I think all you moms will know what I mean. This was my first trip without my husband in many moons, and my first trip without my son, ever. And while I enjoyed it...oh, heck, I loved it, I did feel a little guilt every know and then.
This was actually an interesting experience for me. My trips have always been for ME (and maybe a friend or too if I wasn't solo). So it felt totally natural to be down there, family-less. And though I was sure that TK was really ok, deep down, being there without the rest of her clan, I tried to be sensitive and gently remind her that it's perfectly OK to focus 100% on yourself once in a while. And despite that this trip was about friendship and sisterhood and the big 3-0, don't let TK fool you. Despite their physical absence, this trip was still about her family in a lot of ways - emotional ways, reflective ways, planning-for-September ways. And I was so happy to have shared in that!

Quote:
Eventually, we arrived. Pulled in to check with security, and we were checking in. Three guesses as to the CM's name.

Go ahead.

You don't even need three, do you?

It was JACK!!!! Unfortunately, not this one...

What was especially funny was that TK (of course) made the Jack connection before I did. So she was like "Jack!" and I was all like, "Jack." and she was like "JACK!!!" and I was like, "Jack!" (light dawning).

But really, what a fitting welcome.

Quote:
A sign that we were destined to stay at this resort together. Tink's second time, my first.

Does this picture ring any bells?

That's right, friends! Caribbean Beach Resort all the way!!!!!!!!
So I totally have to share something with y'all since we didn't have a PTR. We weren't originally booked here. We were originally booked at POP (I think, considering that was way back in like, what Kat, October???). Which we were both ok with. Because we were going to Disney World. But then, we both were of like mind without even knowing it. TK REALLY wanted to stay at CBR, which she'd fallen in love with on a visit during her trip last Sept. Her darling DH was not so enamored as she. I've stayed at CBR before, granted 17 years ago, and really was pretty much go-with-the-flow enough to want to do it again. The only other Mod I have an intense desire to stay at is CSR and that really wasn't the feel of this trip. So we discussed and changed resorts. And I'm so glad we did.

Quote:
This moment of pure happiness, this moment of anticipation, this moment when your whole trip lays before you like a story waiting to be written.

This moment.

Yeah. That was a great moment. I just smiled at me smiling.

Quote:
While we were standing in line, we heard so many "Welcome to the islands," and when a CM saw our leis, she said, "Aloha." To which we both replied with a big, hearty ALOHA!!! We were just a wee bit excited.
The lady in front of us and her daughter (who had the Jack folder but didn't look very enthused to be in Disney, remember) thought we were crazy. I'm sure of it. We were like giant 5 year-olds who just had Coke and Sweet Tarts. It was ridiculous. I couldn't even pay attention to the line. One minute TK was standing with me, the next she was walking over to the next available CM and I was oblivious.

Quote:
We were so excited to be placed in Jamaica! Tink and I had debated requesting that village, so we were really excited to receive it anyway.
FYI-Jamiaca is a great spot. While it's not a preferred location, it's about a 3 minute walk from almost any room, over the bride and the island, to Old Port Royale. The yellow/white/blue is also my favorite color scheme.

Quote:
Now Jennifer asked if we were celebrating our birthdays this trip and we said yes. Actually, before we left, Tink called to update her address with Disney Reservations, and the CM said, what are you celebrating? Tink said, oh, we're celebrating our birthdays, but they don't fall during the trip. He said, can you come to Disney during your birthdays? She said, well no. And he said, well then, you're celebrating them.

Thus we were aptly dubbed by that CM, "The Thirty and Flirty Celebration."

Jennifer gave us both birthday buttons and we were off.
As TK mentioned, we were very skittish about "celebrating" our birthdays with pins, even though that really was what we were celebrating with each other (our birthdays are only a few days apart).

However, every single CM we spoke to about the buttons said that it was perfectly fine. While we did get a little special attention, it wasn't over the top.

And I'd also like to mention this - EVERYONE down there is wearing some sort of pin right now. EVERYONE. I was actually rather surprised. And one of the things that I thought was really nice was that if there was a family with two children and one of the kids was celebrating a birthday with a birthday pin, they gave the other child an "I'm Celebrating!" pin.

While I certainly wouldn't advocate asking for a pin for any ol' reason, if you do have something worth celebrating, go for it! Not only did it seem like the families were really enjoying it, the CMs seemed to like acknowledging people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
You mean this smile???

And snortlaughing ensued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
I love that you and Tink have matching colors on for your trip. Very cute!
Yeah, we didn't realize that until we discussed our "travel outfits". Must've been the Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
I'm so glad to hear that you liked CBR. I've always been a bit nervous to try it because of the size.
Oh, don't be. It's big (believe me, I walked the whole thing more than once on my "morning walks") but it's gorgeous. And easy to get from Point A to Point B. The internal bus system, though we didn't use it, is pretty efficient too. Some of the locations are pretty remote, so you just need to know what to ask for. Really though, this resort really strikes the "RESORT" chord with me, much like the Poly did. I FELT like I was on vacation here. Not just staying at a hotel in Disney.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #126
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegansMom View Post
Loved the update----how great that you stayed at CBR!!!! What fun must await you girlies!!!! Can't wait to hear more!
Don't worry, it's coming soon, I promise!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
This was actually an interesting experience for me. My trips have always been for ME (and maybe a friend or too if I wasn't solo). So it felt totally natural to be down there, family-less. And though I was sure that TK was really ok, deep down, being there without the rest of her clan, I tried to be sensitive and gently remind her that it's perfectly OK to focus 100% on yourself once in a while. And despite that this trip was about friendship and sisterhood and the big 3-0, don't let TK fool you. Despite their physical absence, this trip was still about her family in a lot of ways - emotional ways, reflective ways, planning-for-September ways. And I was so happy to have shared in that!
You know...when you say things like that, it makes me realize just how much I love you.

Quote:
What was especially funny was that TK (of course) made the Jack connection before I did. So she was like "Jack!" and I was all like, "Jack." and she was like "JACK!!!" and I was like, "Jack!" (light dawning).

But really, what a fitting welcome.
Proof positive that my mind is usually on Jack Sparrow.

Quote:
So we discussed and changed resorts. And I'm so glad we did.
Me, too.

Quote:
We were like giant 5 year-olds who just had Coke and Sweet Tarts.
A really apt description. Perhaps it was the Cadbury bar.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #128
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'm in! I've been avoiding new TR's these days...my own PDD I think. I tried and tried to plan an adult/girl only trip for this fall and it isn't going to happen...so I'll jsut have to live through the 2 of you!
Oh, I'm sorry you're having PDD! That's a yucky side effect, huh?

I really loved this girls only trip, and it's not something I really ever thought I'd do. I'm so glad I did, and I hope you feel free to keep riding and live vicariously through us. Perhaps we'll even make you laugh along the way.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #129
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Thirty and flirty! I LOVE it...being that I just turned 30 myself. (so far, it's been good despite my fears!)

CBR looks so pretty, I can't wait to read more about it.

and to the "dolled up" TK face!!!!

ETA: Don't feel guilty about the trip-I am a firm believer that things like this-time with your girlfriends-makes you a BETTER Mommy and wife!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 06-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #130
tlenzendorf
Always Dreaming of Disney!

I also just turned 30... nothing has fallen off yet, I'm still waiting

Old 06-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #131
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry you're having PDD! That's a yucky side effect, huh?

I really loved this girls only trip, and it's not something I really ever thought I'd do. I'm so glad I did, and I hope you feel free to keep riding and live vicariously through us. Perhaps we'll even make you laugh along the way.
Girls only trips are the best. I am lucky enough to do about 1 a year, sometimes more between my gaggle of sisters/SIL's/mom and my college gourmet club. But never to the world! Still trying though, it's not dead...just postponed
Old 06-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #132
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

How cool that you tricked us all and didn't include your trippie in your siggie (that rhymes!!)

Great start (well, w/o the car problems but at least you got the row to yourselves, played some good ol' card games and are staying at the beautiful CBR!)

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 06-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #133
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Do Floridians come to New England, take a deep breath and say, "Ahh...New England air."
Kind of anyway... I always seem to find myself up north in Jan. The response is more like, "YIKES! Cold, dry northern air!"

Quote:
I think all you moms will know what I mean.
Yep - and I'm glad you got to enjoy it, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
And I'd also like to mention this - EVERYONE down there is wearing some sort of pin right now. EVERYONE.
Dude, they're pushing pins like crack! I was offered pins to celebrate something - ANYthing! - no less than 5 times over the long weekend.

Quote:
Really though, this resort really strikes the "RESORT" chord with me, much like the Poly did. I FELT like I was on vacation here. Not just staying at a hotel in Disney.
Mind if I echo that sentiment? I'm a long-time CBR fan and that's a big reason why!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #134
TarzansKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
ETA: Don't feel guilty about the trip-I am a firm believer that things like this-time with your girlfriends-makes you a BETTER Mommy and wife!
Thanks. Now, I agree. I can say I speak from experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlenzendorf View Post
I also just turned 30... nothing has fallen off yet, I'm still waiting
Well, there are some things that would be good to lose. Like all the extra around my hips and backside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Girls only trips are the best. I am lucky enough to do about 1 a year, sometimes more between my gaggle of sisters/SIL's/mom and my college gourmet club. But never to the world! Still trying though, it's not dead...just postponed
Postponed is better than nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
How cool that you tricked us all and didn't include your trippie in your siggie (that rhymes!!)

Great start (well, w/o the car problems but at least you got the row to yourselves, played some good ol' card games and are staying at the beautiful CBR!)
We are very tricky. Very, very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Kind of anyway... I always seem to find myself up north in Jan. The response is more like, "YIKES! Cold, dry northern air!"
See, I knew it!

Quote:
Dude, they're pushing pins like crack! I was offered pins to celebrate something - ANYthing! - no less than 5 times over the long weekend.

Quote:
Mind if I echo that sentiment? I'm a long-time CBR fan and that's a big reason why!
This is why I totally like it for a girlfriend's trip. Very relaxing!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #135
TarzansKat

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A CBR Stay For We

When last we left our daring duo, they were off in search of generous libations.

Preferrably containing rum.

Pirates.

Off to Old Port Royale we headed. I was in "let me take my time and soak it all in mode." Fortunately, Tink seems to operate in that mode on vacation in general. It's like an automatic switch with her. Let me just say right now, no matter what happened to us (ha ha ha) on this trip, that my dear Tink is a fantastic travel companion. She's go with the flow, but direct enough to express her own opinion. Quite frankly, we're a match made in heaven.

Now, on our way in search of where the rum had gone, we did end up stopping in OPR for a bit. I checked to make sure an old pass that I had was still valid, and Tink, I believe, had to add a day to hers. Once that was taken care of, the lure of fine Disney merchandising sucked us in.

Basically, we shopped. But only with our eyes.

And all too soon, we spotted it.

Something that screamed out to me. And said, BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME I WASMADEFORYOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at Tink.

I looked at it.

I looked at Tink.

And I said, "Tink...I don't need another $50 hoodie."

And Tink said, "But you have to buy this. It was made for you."

"But I can't buy another $50 hoodie." My resolve was weakening. Crumbling.

But I had other goals in mind. So you'll just have to wait and see how the battle of TK and the hoodie turned out later.

I really loved a lot of the merchandise in the store. Honestly, between the pirate stuff and the variety of girly bags they had going on, I was just thrilled. Quite frankly, I've never seen so many bags that I acutally liked at Disney. Totes, purses, wallets. My, my!

I have some pictures from OPR that were actually taken another day, but since this is the first time we were here, I'll throw them in now.

I felt this sense of peace here. It's weird to say that I felt at peace in a store, but I did. This resort is so much my personality. I knew it when we visited it on my Sept 08 trip and I knew it now, being here with Tink. I was so glad we decided to stay here.

Well, we'd finally had our fill (no purchases yet), and we headed off in search of our ultimate purpose.

A fine drink and a good toast.

But we got distracted along the way by a photo op.

We headed over to the pool bar, and ended up with the nommiest concotion I think I've tasted in many a moon.

The Pina Colava.

Oh, my dear friends. Oh, how good this drink was. It deserves one word. Well, it deserves several, but if it had to be one, it would be NOM.

Nom, nom, nom. It was such a wonderful melding of flavors, the coconut, the bit of raspberry, and the rum. Oh, the rum. It would have made the good captain proud. So proud. Actually, my first taste was a bit potent, because I hadn't mixed it thoroughly and let's just say that our gracious bartender was not only gracious but generous. Bless her.

Tink was kind enough to buy our first drinks, (I know I'm backtracking here), and I had already planned a toast.

See, I was honored that Tink would stay at this particular resort with me. I don't know how many of you have read her trip / pre trip report from her Sept 08 trip, but if you haven't, let me tell you a little something about our dear girl. See, Tink had a grandmother who was very, very special to her. Who took her on trips to the World, and as a matter of fact, CBR was a place that they stayed together. If I remember correctly, it was the last place they stayed together, but I could be mistaken. Tink, correct me if I'm wrong. So, knowing that there could have been some emotions surfacing, I honestly felt honored that Tink would consider a stay here. I know I get a little misty when I walk past things at the World that remind me of my grandfather, never mind whether or not we stayed there together.

So my toast was all planned out.

We'd found a table over by these beautiful flowers,

and just sat looking at out at all that was the CBR courtyard, the pirate pool, the beautiful lake, the gorgeous sky...

...and we toasted.

To her grandmother, and my grandfather. Who I know would both be very proud of us. And who, I entertained the notion, may have even been sharing a few laughs as well, just like we were.

It was a good toast. And a good way to start the trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: