Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
AmyBWV99
It's a s'winter s'wonderland; you can freeze while you get tan.

WWYD? cut trip short to attend wedding?

We have a family wedding we just found out about that 'suddenly' came up and will be planned in 3 months before their baby is born.

We have a trip planned and ressies made and paid, arrival flights made but not yet return flights. We have already paid for the 2 nights at CBR and made all the DVC reservations months ago. Part of us feels obligated to come back and think it'll look selfish that we wouldn't cut 3 days off our trip to attend, then the other side says had we had ANY IDEA we'd have adjusted our dates long before now.

Aother little tidbit of attending the wedding requires us to fly into their airport (the wedding is 2.5 hours away from our home). Which will mean some family memeber will have to bring us our van and pick us up at their airport. It is doable but kind of a pain to whoever will be responsible for all that, then there's the fact that the days we'd be shaving off are weekend nights at DVC are on borrowed points which means there's no way around losing some. We could use them on the front end of the trip and cancel the CBR portion but there's no scenario that it's even so some will be lost since we're aren't retuning till after our next use year begins. Then there's the fact that our first day in WDW will be resting day so no parking so DH can run RFTT so that's one additional lost park day.

Ugh, our family is important to us and we attend everything for everyone even the out of town stuff. The only time we've missed the out of town stuff was due to pregnancy or illness so it's basically expected we'll be there.

IWe're so torn has anyone else had to sacrifice WDW for family stuff?
92,93,94,95,96,97,98/April, July & Oct 99/May & Dec 00/Feb & May 01/Jan & Mar 02/Mar 03/Mar, May-June & July 04/July 05/Mar, July, Oct & Christmas-New Years 06-07/Oct 07/Mar, July & Oct 08 RFTT/Mar Gasparilla Marathon & 5k, Dec 09/Feb-Mar & Oct 10/Mar 11/Sept 12/Dec 13-Jan 14/May & Oct 14
Disneyland 76/Nov 99/ Nov 04
Magic July 99/Wonder May 01

AmyBWV99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
dvcbnd
Mouseketeer

If it were me, I'd probably not attend the wedding for an extended family member, but attend for immediate family. I would also take into account how "close" I was to the person getting married. I'm not sure if I helped at all - good luck and have a wonderful trip.

HHI 5/13, BWV's 5/12, HGVC 3/12, BLT 10/11, AKV's & HGVC 6/11, VWL, HGVC 7/10, BCV's, AKV's, OKW & HGVC 7/09, SSR, HGVC & AKV's 8/08, AKV's 11/07, OKW 12/06, OKW, AKL, VB & HGVC 7/06, OKW, PORTOFINO BAY & HGVC 7/05, SSR & HGVC 7/04, DCL & HGVC 8/03, WLV & HGVC 7/02, OKW & MARRIOTT HORIZONS 7/01, BWV & VISTANA 2/01, HHI 6/00, OKW 12/99, BWV 12/98, OKW - 1ST TIME AS DVC MEMBERS 5/98, WL 4/97, OFF-SITE 7/92, DL 10/89, DL 6/86, OFF-SITE 7/77
dvcbnd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Hi!
We're DVC members as well, & we've also had to postpone a trip at the VERY LAST minute (we were supposed to spend 8 days at SSR during Thanksgiving week last year & DD14 ended up with an unexpected hospital stay..17 days!)

What I would do, if I'm understanding your situation correctly, is..try, try, try to move your weekend nites to the front of your trip and if you can, then cancel CBR).

If you're not able to rearrange the days, & will end up losing the points...I honestly think my family would miss the wedding, unless we had another trip scheduled soon. My family's vacations are mainly ALL about our two children (DD14 has esp. been thru a lot this year) & no way, would I shorten our WDW trip on her. WDW is much more enjoyable than a wedding!

Be prepared though, for some family members to be upset. Most people just don't understand our 11month/7month booking windows & why we need to plan our vacations so far ahead of time. Our plans can't just be changed at the "drop of a hat".

Good luck to whatever you go with!
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do

I'd probably send a lovely gift that is more extravagent if I attended along with my regrets.
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBWV99 View Post
We have a family wedding we just found out about that 'suddenly' came up and will be planned in 3 months before their baby is born.

We have a trip planned and ressies made and paid, arrival flights made but not yet return flights. We have already paid for the 2 nights at CBR and made all the DVC reservations months ago. Part of us feels obligated to come back and think it'll look selfish that we wouldn't cut 3 days off our trip to attend, then the other side says had we had ANY IDEA we'd have adjusted our dates long before now.

Aother little tidbit of attending the wedding requires us to fly into their airport (the wedding is 2.5 hours away from our home). Which will mean some family memeber will have to bring us our van and pick us up at their airport. It is doable but kind of a pain to whoever will be responsible for all that, then there's the fact that the days we'd be shaving off are weekend nights at DVC are on borrowed points which means there's no way around losing some. We could use them on the front end of the trip and cancel the CBR portion but there's no scenario that it's even so some will be lost since we're aren't retuning till after our next use year begins. Then there's the fact that our first day in WDW will be resting day so no parking so DH can run RFTT so that's one additional lost park day.

Ugh, our family is important to us and we attend everything for everyone even the out of town stuff. The only time we've missed the out of town stuff was due to pregnancy or illness so it's basically expected we'll be there.

IWe're so torn has anyone else had to sacrifice WDW for family stuff?
I feel the same way family. We are very close, even extended family. I would attend the wedding. Disney will always be there.
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Would really depend on how close a family member this is (sister or brother? vs. neice or nephew or aunt or cousin?). Also, is there a shower you can attend at least? Your own family and your vacation time is important too. I think it would be okay to bow out, especially if you focus on the point that you have planned this for many months so your husband could run and have already purchased non-refundable airline tickets (not need to mention your return flight hasn't been booked yet!).
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

It really depends on how close the family member is. For a brother or sister, I would go, but for a cousin twice removed, I would pass.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

since the wedding is sort of "spur of the moment", the bride and groom should expect that there will be some people who cannot attend. unless i was particularly close to them, i would send a nice gift with my regrets and go on my vacation. JMHO.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
disneyjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
It really depends on how close the family member is. For a brother or sister, I would go, but for a cousin twice removed, I would pass.
What does cousin twice removed mean? Forgive me for not using google.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
churchpilot
I never look back, Dahling, it distracts from the NOW!

Considering the time and expense of a Disney vacation and the fact that this is a wedding you didn't know about when you planned your trip, I would pass and send a generous gift and note. The fact that you are so close with your family should help. They know you and know your heart. If you are like most Disney people, these trips are priceless and there is no guarantee of another trip. Follow your heart and best wishes.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
What does cousin twice removed mean? Forgive me for not using google.
It would be two people who are cousins, and twice removed would be 2 generations down (one cousin has children, and they again have children, those would be twice removed).
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
disneyjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis-happy View Post
It would be two people who are cousins, and twice removed would be 2 generations down (one cousin has children, and they again have children, those would be twice removed).
So third cousins?

Yeah, I would still attend.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

I would be sure and let the bride and groom know that you already had plans when they scheduled the wedding and that is why you are unable to attend.

Send a nice gift and perhaps a token from WDW for the new baby if you are close and enjoy your family trip.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
adventure_woman
DIS Veteran

For me, it depends on what relatives. If they were brother/sister, then I would probably go to the wedding. Other than that, I would let them know that we had plans months and months ago and I'm so sorry I can't attend. I am a big planner ahead, and why should I and my family suffer if someone can only plan 3 months ahead?! (I understand it is for the baby, but they have to understand that is short notice). Now, if it was 6 months to a year out, then they are planning ahead. And it sounds horrible, but if my family were to get mad, so be it. They'll be mad at someone for something, so it might as well be me going to the merriest place in the world!!

WDW
LOTS of trips before!
CP CM - Summer 1999
FT CM - May 2000-Dec 2001 (AKL, BC, Poly)
ASMo 11/03 ASMo 11/06 AS Sp/Mo 8/08 ASMo 1/9 ASMu 8/09 ASMu 8/11 ASMu 1/13

DL/DCA
CM - Dec 2000-Feb 2001 (Grand Opening of DCA)
Off-site 12/05

DCL
Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/29/11
adventure_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
So third cousins?
No. the "removed" part is different from just 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins. I can't explain in words, I have to have a chart, LOL.

OK I'll try.

Let's pretend my brother has kids. So there's me and brother.

I have a son, E. Pretend my brother has a son. They are first cousins to each other.

When they each have kids, their kids will be second cousins to each other.

However, E and brother's son's child would have "removed" in their relationship name. Going straight across the list is 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc cousins. When you go diagonal, that's when "removed" comes into play. And the number down is the numbered part of the once/twice/etc removed.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: