Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
MineMail
DIS Veteran

I rode a Segway last year for beginning lesson. It was fun and really cool, but you really need to have control over your weight shift, position of your feet, and your upright stance. It does stop quickly, but you then have to control yourself so that you don't restart it by accident. It doesn't just make you "standing height" - the one I rode made me far taller than the over-6' instructor who "spotted" me for safety. Getting on and off took some practice because the step up is a bit higher than you might expect, plus you must balance the Segway itself in the process.

My family and I got stuck in a fireworks crowd last December at the MK. It was really a bit frightening to see how tightly packed the crowds were and how jostled you were when the swarm started moving afterwards. Not to mention that it was dark and the curbs were hard to find unless you knew they were there.

People with strollers and wheelchairs were both dangerous and endangered. People were rushing up, thinking they saw a clear space just ahead of the person in front of them, only to find that the person was pushing a heavy-duty stroller. I saw one woman struggling with her motorized wheelchair because she didn't realize that there were trolley tracks and curbs on Main Street. I had to think that it would have been smart to find a safe spot to park until the crowds passed, but perhaps it was her first time at WDW. (I was across the sea of people, or I would have offered some assistance. She was all by herself.)

I can't imagine being on a Segway in that crowd. Even if the rider stopped before hitting the kid who stopped to pick up his Mickey ears, someone could bump him/her from behind, causing the Segway to start moving forward or backward or the rider to fall.

I also think that they should have put their resources towards validating a modified Segway for the disabled instead of filing a lawsuit against a disability-friendly company such as Disney.
MineMail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: