Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #31
MM27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericamanda01 View Post
I wonder if the college she plans to attend knows about this?
If they didn't, they do now
Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #32
Laz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
Isn't academic dishonesty grounds for expulsion, reguardless of credits? This happened to a friend of mine in his last semester, when a professor found out a friend of his wrote his paper for him. He ended up finishing up at a state college about a year later.
That depends. What is the specific, written policy in the school/district's student handbook? What is their written definition of academic dishonesty and what is the written punishment guide for a first offense? I know this sounds petty and silly, but that is some of the questions I would be asking if I were the student's lawyer. Public high school is different than college. Plus, High School is a state requirement, college is not.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #33
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Nick View Post
I say let her walk and hope people boo as loudly as they can for her when she goes up to receive her diploma.
This is exactly why she and her family should take it upon herself not to walk, even if she would be allowed to do so. Where is her honor? If we were her family, we would not allow it, just too humiliating. And why ruin the ceremony for eveyone else with boos and jeers...

ETA: It's just another example of a selfish act where she wasn't thinking about how the consequences of her actions would have a ripple effect and affect others like family, frinds and classmates and their families...

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #34
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
I graduated 30 years ago and a girl who got very drunk at our senior prom was NOT allowed to walk with us at graduation. I don't think she even attended the graduation. This had nothing to do with grades, it had to do with conduct.

Assuming that the school in this article uses the same line of reasoning that my school did, the GRADE ITSELF is not the reason that they're not allowing her to graduate with her class, but rather the act of cheating is the reason.
Reminds me of something that happened at a high school where I was teaching about a decade ago: A group of students -- National Honor type students, college bound students, students with parents who had good jobs and money -- thought it'd be a hoot to show up during exams on roller skates. They were also drunk, though not falling-down drunk. They themselves had earned the right to exempt exams (seniors, top grades), but they zipped up and down the hallways whooping and hollering, definitely causing a disruption for the other students who were sitting in the classrooms taking exams that counted 25% of their semester grade. I'm sure this all seemed very funny when they were planning it.

It didn't take long for administration to learn what they were doing, to haul their wheeled butts down to the office, and to call their parents. They -- the whole group of 6-8 kids -- was not allowed to walk because of their stunt. The parents complained, and the school board called a special meeting to discuss it, BUT in the end they DID NOT WALK. As I remember, no one went as far as getting a lawyer, but there also was literally no time to do it -- this was probably two days before exams.

Personally, I respected the principal and school board for putting their foot down hard on such foolishness. They not only broke the law by drinking underage (and on a school campus), but they likely hurt other students' grades by distracting them.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
This is exactly why she and her family should take it upon herself not to walk, even if she would be allowed to do so. Where is her honor? If we were her family, we would not allow it, just too humiliating. And why ruin the ceremony for eveyone else with boos and jeers...

ETA: It's just another example of a selfish act where she wasn't thinking about how the consequences of her actions would have a ripple effect and affect others like family, frinds and classmates and their families...
I've seen students booed by their classmates when they walk across the stage -- not often, but twice to my certain remembrance -- and though the students in question really were jerks, I felt badly for their parents.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
Isn't academic dishonesty grounds for expulsion, reguardless of credits? This happened to a friend of mine in his last semester, when a professor found out a friend of his wrote his paper for him. He ended up finishing up at a state college about a year later.
At most colleges yes, but this is high school so they typically are not as harsh about things like that.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #37
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

Actually the school could have given her and the others an out of school suspension which would have then eliminated them being able to participate in any school activities. They would still receive their diplomas.

I wonder if the school should press charges against them for "hacking"--or whatever the correct term is--into the school's computer system.

She shouldn't walk. She will survive. She chose an action and now has to live with the consequences. LIfe is tough sometimes. Better that she learns this lesson now than later on when it could be something very serious that will affect her life, career, or those around her.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #38
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

I got the impression from the article that it was a student who maybe worked in the office or something like that and had access to the school records. That student was expelled according to the article.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #39
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacerita View Post
People never cease to amaze me. I cheated, but I still "deserve" something.
It's called entitlement... the wave of the future!!!
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #40
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by distherapy View Post
The updated article says the judge denied the motion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
It's called entitlement... the wave of the future!!!
You've got that right.. These teens seem to want all of the privileges of being treated like "adults" without paying adult consequences when they do stupid, irresponsible things.. She's not a baby.. She made an extremely poor choice - and now it's time to pay up..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and thatís where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #41
Darsa
Has an active imagination
Can't sleep with socks on!

Quote:
People never cease to amaze me. I cheated, but I still "deserve" something.

Quote:
These teens seem to want all of the privileges of being treated like "adults" without paying adult consequences when they do stupid, irresponsible things.. She's not a baby.. She made an extremely poor choice - and now it's time to pay up..

AMEN!! Maybe if kids were held accountable for their actions more often, instead of being coddled and treated with kid-gloves, they wouldn't feel the world owes them everything and anything. Unfortunately we as a society are to blame, but it's time to fix things to be sure.

Be a hero, because you can't take it with you!

In memory of my mom 1/12/44 - 3/25/10 I wish I could have helped, I'm so sorry!
Darsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #42
agnes!
*sigh*
He had a yowl that could peel paper
I would never joke around about making money
My AI Loser Tag

So Kristen Reno of Jeffersonville, Indiana an 18 year-old person admitted to cheating.

She still gets to graduate, she just doesn't get to participate in a ceremony which is meant to celebrate accomplishment. She also got her name in the paper and in the news.

The person who changed the grades, the actual culprit, was expelled. Their name, however, is not in the paper.

I wonder - Who came out better, the mastermind or the willing-accomplice?

And,
(according to this article from the Louisville Courier-Journal: http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...ment+ban+stays) Ms. Reno, ever willing to educate her mind, plans to attend Indiana University Southeast and "become an education counselor to make sure that what happened to her doesn't happen to other students". I'm a little puzzled by this statement. Does she mean that students shouldn't cheat? Or that they shouldn't get caught ...

agnes!

*this* spot still sacred to
Those no longer here - you are not forgotten...........
(also remembering all the pets who have owned me, including "James", "Sugar", "Gabriel" & "Nancy")
Thanks to Grumpy Pirate I sometimes do have a seasonal smilie. I also remember when American Idol was GOOD.
Do not read beauty magazines...they will only make you feel UGLY.
agnes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #43
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

The article said the student who changed the grades was the only one expelled. IMHO all of them should have been expelled. They could've been prosecuted for conspiring to commit computer fraud.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #44
Pixie Dust for Me!
Anyone seen tink lately, I'm running a bit low on dust!

Note to self....be sure to write the school districts in my area and let them know they should never hire someone named Kristin Reno from Jeffersonville, Indiana who attended Indiana University Southeast!

Sheesh...if she becomes and education counselor I'd worry what she's counseling kids to do!

K

We now get to hear "Welcome Home" since we are DVC members!!

Also see my DS at TheDuckStopsHere
Pixie Dust for Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #45
missypie
Has an outlet for romance
Learn to space out, while smiling and nodding
NO ONE looks chic at Disneyworld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
That depends. What is the specific, written policy in the school/district's student handbook? What is their written definition of academic dishonesty and what is the written punishment guide for a first offense? I know this sounds petty and silly, but that is some of the questions I would be asking if I were the student's lawyer. Public high school is different than college. Plus, High School is a state requirement, college is not.
You and I are thinking alike. Every year there are numerous news stories about students not being allowed to walk because of [name offense.] Schools really really need a written policy about what will get a student banned from graduation. The punishment seems to only be used for offenses that occur in the last few weeks of a student's senior year. If an act committed first semester would not have prevented a student from walking, the same act committed second semester should not.

Schools can come down as hard as they want, but the policy needs to be in writing and applied fairly.
missypie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: