Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
v_gan
I can go the distance!

*More* Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews! (May 9 - May 17) With lots of pictures!

Introduction:

Me (Andrea) - I'll try anything once, as long as it's vegan
Boyfriend (Jon) - Vegetarian, and a bit picky. Would rather have a veggie burger than anything else, but ends up enjoying nearly every restaurant we go to.

This trip was to celebrate our 4.5-year anniversary (Yes, we celebrate half-year anniversaries!) and me getting my Associate's degree.

I made our ADR's on our 90-day mark and got everything I wanted within a 30-minute range of the time I wanted. Between then and our trip, I cancelled our Yak and Yeti ADR and added on dinner at 'Ohana after reading a great review of Chef TJ. Unfortunately, we ended up with a different chef that night. You'll have to see how that turned out later on

So, here's where we ended up dining on our 9-day Disney celebration vacation:

Friday, May 9
Picnic lunch at Florida Welcome Center (Page 1)
San Angel Inn (Page 1)
Pop Century food court (Page 1)

Sunday, May 10
Tusker House (Page 1)
Plaza Restaurant (Page 2)

Monday, May 11
Frosty the Joe Man Coffee (BB) - (Page 2)
Pop Century Food Court (x2) - (Page 2)

Tuesday, May 12
Crystal Palace (Page 3)
Columbia Harbor House (Page 3)
Pop Century Food Court (Page 4)

Wednesday, May 13
Rose and Crown (Page 4)
Kaki Gori (Page 4)
Boma (Page 5)

Thursday, May 14
Restaurantasaurous (Page 5)
Dinoland frozen treat cart (Page 5)
Cantina de San Angel (Page 6)
Sunshine Seasons (Page 6)

Friday, May 15
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre (Page 6)
50s Prime Time Café (Page 7)
Min and Bill's Dockside Diner (Page 7)

Saturday, May 16
Golden Oak Outpost (Page 7)
Anaheim Produce (Page 7)
'Ohana (Page 8)

Sunday, May 17
Pop Century food court
Rainforest Cafe (DTD)

While I get to resizing my pictures, you can see my previous dining reviews by clicking the link in my signature.
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Caribbean Beach Resort - March 2010 (21 years old)
WDW - Pop Century Resort - May 2009 (20 years old)
Universal Orlando - Offsite - October 2008 - (20 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Movies - September 2007 (19 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - All Star Music - July 2002 (14 years old)
WDW, Univeral Orlando - Offsite - January 2001 (13 years old)
Disneyland, Universal Hollywood - Offsite - January 2000 (12 years old)
WDW, Universal Orlando, Sea World - Offsite - January 1991 (3 years old)

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews
Two Vegans, Too Much Food
Even More Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews

Last edited by v_gan; 08-11-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
v_gan
I can go the distance!

DAY 1 - Florida Welcome Center picnic, San Angel Inn, Pop Century food court

We started our drive to Orlando at 4:30 in the morning from Birmingham, AL. Around 11:30, we arrived at the Florida Welcome Center. I had packed sandwiches and snacks, so we found a picnic table and had our little picnic!

Ta-da! Kind of ironic how we're both wearing shirts that are connected to Universal Orlando while on our way to Disney World, huh?

I brought Tofurky sandwiches on light wheat bread with lettuce and Veganaise. We also had baby carrots, pretzels, and cinnamon Teddy Grahams.

Close-up of the sandwich.

This is me with the free orange juice they give you at the welcome center. Man, is that stuff good!

We drove through the WDW entrance at exactly 3:00 and were heading into the Pop Century lobby about 20 minutes later. After checking in and bringing all our stuff into our room, we got on a bus for Epcot. We had ADRs for San Angel Inn at 6:45, but we checked in early and were seated 20 minutes prior to our reservations.

We got a table right next to the water, so this was our view:

I asked if I could see their vegetarian menu, and it was different than last time:

Jon looking over the menu:

"I want a picture in front of the pyramid, too!"

Our chips, salsa, and drink orders arrived soon.

We both got a virgin strawberry daquiri and a glass of water. We actually ordered virgin frozen strawberry margaritas, but it said strawberry daquiri on our bill. We were charged half price, since there wasn't any alcohol.

We decided to share the Plato Vegetariano and we each ordered a side of Arroz Mexicano (Mexican rice served with peas)

"Great combination of sauteed mixed vegetables, served over a bed of flour tortillas and black beans."

This is the two tortillas that we pulled apart to share, so you can see the beans.

The vegetables were fresh and crisp, and the beans were warm and yummy. I prefer this new dish over the previous vegetarian entree they had, but I prefer the previous price to the current one It was a lot of money for vegetables and beans, so I'm glad we only ordered one plate. It's plenty to feed two people, if you order a side as well.

We both really enjoyed our meal, and we struggled to finish our rice. It was all very filling, so splitting the vegetarian plate was the best way to go for both of us.

After dinner we found a spot for Illuminations, watched the show, and headed back to Pop. We browsed through the souviner shop and got some snacks in the food court:

This is where they store the vegan goodies!

I got a package of Divvies chocolate chip cookies, and Jon got an Uncrustable PB&J and a banana. We also bought our refillable mugs while we were there.

I loved these cookies! They were soft and the chocolate chips were gooey and yummy.

I was very happy with the offerings in the Pop food court. They were much more plentiful than what they had at All Star Movies in 2007.

Coming Up: Tusker House and Plaza Restaurant

Spring 2014 Disney College Program Blog (Concierge): Going the Distance - My Disney College Program Experience

Last edited by v_gan; 05-19-2009 at 09:53 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
VillianinVogue
Mouseketeer

Can't wait for more!!! I loved your last trip report!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
wellesleyprincess
DIS Veteran

I'm excited. I'm a vegetarian working my way vegan (getting rid of dairy is HARD for me in part because I'm also allergic to wheat [eliminating restaurants typical pasta dishes]).

Oh and do you have any vegetarian/vegan restaurant reccomendations for Birmingham. I'm visiting a friend there in August (she goes to Samford if that helps with location any)
March 1990- WDW Offsite ~ May 1994- WDW Polynesian Resort ~ May 1999- WDW Coronado Springs Resort ~ April 2003- Offsite (EPCOT & MGM & Universal) ~ June 2005- WDW Yacht Club (Premium Plan) ~ March 2008- Pop Century at Easter ~ January 2010 Marathon Weekend Trip at All Star Sports (Full Marathon Finisher)~ May/June 2010 Contemporary (Dining Plan/Graduation/Best Trip EVER)~ January 2011 POFQ (Goofy Challenge)~August/September 2012 WWoHP~ September/October 2012 ToT 10 Miler/ Food & Wine (All Stars)~ October 2013 Pop for Father-Daughter Food & Wine trip

Planning: Summer/Fall 2015 Universal Trip; May 2017 (Belated 30th Birthday/Law School Graduation)
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
AlohaPolynesian
DIS Veteran

Yay! I love reading the vegetarian/vegan reviews. Can't wait to hear more!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Although I am not vegetarian, I do enjoy veggies and have often thought of ordering a vegetarian meal in Disney ... definitely in for this one to get some ideas!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
jacksonsmom
Can you guess who I am a mom for? Come on, I'll give you three guesses!

can't wait to see more
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillianinVogue View Post
Can't wait for more!!! I loved your last trip report!
Thanks! I've got plenty more to share

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellesleyprincess View Post
I'm excited. I'm a vegetarian working my way vegan (getting rid of dairy is HARD for me in part because I'm also allergic to wheat [eliminating restaurants typical pasta dishes]).

Oh and do you have any vegetarian/vegan restaurant reccomendations for Birmingham. I'm visiting a friend there in August (she goes to Samford if that helps with location any)
Good luck with your road to veganism It's a nice place. haha.

There really aren't very many choices for eating out in Birmingham. The best place in the city is definitely Bottletree Cafe. It's a restaurant by day and a music venue by night. Their vegan chili won the city's best chili award a few years ago, and there's always at least one vegan dessert. You can substitue tofu or veg. meats for pretty much any entree on the menu. It's a small place, but it's nice

There's also a natural grocery store called the Golden Temple downtown. They have a small cafe, but the food is horribly bland. There's a Whole Foods in Mountain Brook, which is just a few minutes away from downtown. Here's a veg restaurant guide for Birmingham: http://www.alabamavoiceforanimals.org/vegbham.html You can also go to HappyCow.net for a directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaPolynesian View Post
Yay! I love reading the vegetarian/vegan reviews. Can't wait to hear more!
Glad you'll be reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Although I am not vegetarian, I do enjoy veggies and have often thought of ordering a vegetarian meal in Disney ... definitely in for this one to get some ideas!
We had some awesome meals, so I hope you do end up getting some ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
While I love my beef and chicken I like the veggie items too....great review of SAI, cannot wait for more!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsmom View Post
can't wait to see more
Coming right up!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 2 - Tusker House

Day 2 was our Animal Kingdom day, with Magic Kingdom EMH in the evening. We had a great morning! It was Mother's Day, so I recieved a red carnation upon entering the park (even though I'm not a mother, unless you count my cats). Me and Jon were also the first people on Expedition Everest for the day.

We went through Dinoland U.S.A. after rope drop, along with another group of about 5 people.The cast members at the bridge going towards E.E. guided us to the ride, with us walking behind a rope. When we got to the entrance, we went to get a Fastpass before riding. But some upper-level-looking cast member woman told us to wait where we were. She gave us Fastpasses, and told us to follow her through the line. The other group got their Fastpasses and left, so we were the only ones in the line. I'm still not sure why it happened, but it was awesome. We got more Fastpasses with our park tickets before heading to Kilimanjaro Safaris, so we got to ride E.E. three times that day with no line

Our Tusker House ADR was for 11:35. We got there a few minutes late because we ran into Terk on the way and I had to stop for a picture .

So, when we arrived at the restaurant, there was a ton of people waiting outside. I remembered that the restaurant didn't open for lunch until 11:30, and sure enough everyone was inside within a few minutes. We had to wait a few minutes, so we stood next to these guys for a while:

On the way to our table:

Once we were seated, we were greeted by our server, Joe. This is the ticket that was on our table:

I had read that Disney Dining wasn't able to note "Vegan" on reservations, but it was on every single ticket we received during our trip. So, just a heads up for any vegans out there when making ADRs! They are able to note it.

This is the view of the room we were in.

And this is Jon, looking adorable.

For drinks, I ordered a glass of water and the Pangani Punch, which isn't included in the price of the buffet and isn't refillable. It's described as "A delightful blend of Orange, Pineapple, and Cranberry Juices, with Strawberry Puree"

Good thing it wasn't refillable, because I didn't like it! The cranberry juice in it gave much too tart of an aftertaste. Yuck. After this drink, I gave up on the expensive fruit drinks. Just not worth it.

So, when our server came back he asked us if we would like the chef to show us around the buffet to show us what we could eat. I, of course, said yes. I can't remember the chef's name off the top of my head, but he was very helpful. He walked us around the buffet, pointing out the things I could eat and also pointing out why I couldn't eat certain other dishes.

He said the tandorri tofu and samosas shared a fryer with meat products, so he offered to make some in a separate fryer for me. He also said the green beans were cooked with butter, but said he could make some with olive oil. There was a Greek pasta he said he could make without the Feta cheese. I didn't really want that, but he kind of insisted, saying it was really good. So I said ok. I wish I hadn't asked for the green beans, because there was a green bean salad that I could have on another cart that was really good.

Anyway.. After the chef showed us around, we started filling up our plates:

My first plate. Consists of roasted potatoes, green bean and red onion salad, curried rice salad with golden raisins, Tunisian couscous salad, saffron-infused root vegetables and cabbage, and Marakesh couscous (wasn't named on the buffet, but it was the same stuff we had at Boma later in the week by this name). The Marakesh couscous was by far my favorite thing on the buffet! Everything else was good, except for the curried rice salad. I didn't like the taste of the rice, or the inclusion of the golden rasins.

Jon's first plate. Consists of green beans, mashed potatoes, corn and carrots, roasted potatoes, and the Marakesh couscous.

A few minutes later:

Before we got up to get another plate, we were brought this:

Tandoori tofu with spiced vegetables and Orzo pasta

And this:

Vegetable samosas and green beans with garlic.

The tandoori tofu was gross. I didn't like it at all. I can't remember why, but it was just bad. I didn't like the orzo pasta, either. It had way too much of an olive taste. I like olives, but this was way too strong. It was almost like the pasta was boiled in olive juice. It literally tasted like pure sodium. The green beans were quite bland, and not nearly as good as the green bean salad that was pre-made on the buffet. The vegetable samosas were good. Our server reccomended we try them with some of the chutneys, so that's what I got next:

Hummus, mango chutney, mixed dried fruit chutney.

I freakin' LOVED the mixed dried fruit chutney! It was so good! I got a few pieces of pita bread to eat with it. The hummus, I didn't like. The mango chutney was good, but not my favorite.

Me eating my samosas!

Jon's next plate: Mixed fruit salad, hummus, pita bread, tandoori tofu, and peal couscous with sweet basil.

He really like the pearl couscous and the hummus. I got mad at him for getting the tofu from the buffet when there was no way I could finish the tofu that was brought to our table by myself. haha. I hate wasting food!

The chef had offered to get me a frozen strawberry bar or some non-dairy ice cream, but after all this we couldn't eat another bite. So no dessert for us!

We talked to our server for a while about how he got to go to the Pixar Animation Studios in CA and about how A Bug's Life was our favorite Pixar movie. He said Flik was his hero, too, so it was fun to talk to him! (By the way, meeting Flik was one of my main goals on this trip. I'll show you what happened with that later! )

To close things up for Tusker House, here's a few random pictures throughout the restaurant's buffet area:

Everything on this cart was vegan-safe.

*Favorite dish on the right!

Chutneys, hummus, taboulli. Everything on this cart was vegan-safe, except for that stuff on the far left. I'm pretty sure that's just butter, but I can't remember and can't tell what it is from the picture. Either way, pretty obvious that butter isn't vegan.

I don't think anything on this cart was vegan, except for the salad greens and the fruit on top. It's possible some of the vinegarettes were vegan, but I didn't want salad so I must not have paid attention to what the chef said.

The breads. The chef said the pita bread was ok, as well as the chocolate mango bread. I was a little iffy on the chocolate mango bread since most chocolate contains dairy, so I didn't get any. It could have just been cocoa powder, but still. Pita bread is usually safe, so I trusted him on that.

Verdict: Tusker House is a FANTASTIC meal for both vegetarians and vegans. There's plenty to eat, and you definitely get your money's worth. I absolutely loved this restaurant, and it will be a must-do on our next trip.

I've met my picture limit for this post, so..

Coming Up: Extra pictures of the buffet area at Tusker House and The Plaza

Last edited by v_gan; 05-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your reviews. My DH is vegetarian so I love reading veggie dining reviews to get ideas of new places to try.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
Sept 2013 - Royal Pacific
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Day 2 - Extra pictures of Tusker House buffet area

Since I met my picture limit on my previous post, here's the extra pictures I took inside Tusker House:

The theming in here was great, and the lighting was lovely with the sun being able to shine in through the roof.

Still Coming Up: Plaza Restaurant

Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
koima
Mouseketeer

Yippee, another vegetarian review! I have been searching through the site for healthy menu options around the World and stumbled on your first review. I'm happy to see you're back with another review!

I'm not vegetarian (eat fish and very limited poultry) but I mostly eat vegetarian at home and am excited to see pictures of the options!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpluto27 View Post
I'm really enjoying your reviews. My DH is vegetarian so I love reading veggie dining reviews to get ideas of new places to try.
I'm glad you're enjoying them! Thanks for reading

Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #15
v_gan
I can go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koima View Post
Yippee, another vegetarian review! I have been searching through the site for healthy menu options around the World and stumbled on your first review. I'm happy to see you're back with another review!

I'm not vegetarian (eat fish and very limited poultry) but I mostly eat vegetarian at home and am excited to see pictures of the options!
Thanks for reading! I've got plenty more to share, so stay tuned

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: