Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #811
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member
I think I need to go to confession

Question - Why are you walking over to the Springs for breakfast?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #812
mylag1rl
Mouseketeer

Hi Diane,
I go thru the same thing before we go on vacation. I have made all these great plans and then I start 2nd guessing myself. Only you know what is best for your family but I think I would stick with the deluxe this time. You are going to be in Disney for a long trip so having alot of sit down meals will probably be a nice break. Also, doing deluxe while the boys are still young will be less expensive. I would think Brian would have more healthy choices with the appetizers and sit down meals.
Good luck with the decision
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #813
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandlesley View Post
Diane,
Here is what I would do, keep deluxe, do most of your breakfasts as sit downs if possible in the parks, etc. on days you don't do that, have small breakfasts using snack credits (fruit, doughnuts, muffins, etc.) and do deluxe sit downs for lunches or dinners on those days. That's just my oppinion.
Lesley
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dizney View Post
Hi Diane.. geesh sounds like we think a lot alike! looks like you have been running the numbers like crazy and I would do the same thing. Figure out the full cost of the deluxe plan.. then figure out the regular. add in those mugs.. and the extra oop meals.. If it comes pretty close to each other I would say to go for the Deluxe plan. Even if you don't take full advantage of it, you will not have the stress of worrying about OOP meals etc.. Just having the extra appy choices alone may be worth it to keep it. If Brian has the mindset that he is not going to "pig out" at every meal, (and it sounds like he does have that mind set) then you guys will be fine. Go for it, relax and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
Okay Diane,
I would not want to hike for breakfast either, and since you have DVC accomodiations you could have some breakfast in the room, cereal, simple stuff. I think that a meal to get out of the heat is helpful, but I too am not a huge fan of the time it takes to do all these big meals. I cannot imagine carving out time for two sit down meals each day. Are there meals you would give up till your next trip, you have so many in the works. I would prioritize the meals you really want and see how the $$ works out. I agree the surcharge is a total bummer on the meals, it does add up. Also can Brian eat healthier at a CS, and if you pay for those OOP, you don't have to get desserts.

We also found last summer and the previous year that we ate less due to the heat...

I am not sure if I helped, I wish I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylag1rl View Post
Hi Diane,
I go thru the same thing before we go on vacation. I have made all these great plans and then I start 2nd guessing myself. Only you know what is best for your family but I think I would stick with the deluxe this time. You are going to be in Disney for a long trip so having alot of sit down meals will probably be a nice break. Also, doing deluxe while the boys are still young will be less expensive. I would think Brian would have more healthy choices with the appetizers and sit down meals.
Good luck with the decision

Thank you all SO MUCH for your advice! I will be posting a BIG update over the weekend, I will be out of comission so nothing to do but relax and DIS! We took your advice to heart and are close to making a decision! Thanks again!

Diane
Old 05-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #814
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSNDSNY View Post
Question - Why are you walking over to the Springs for breakfast?
Isn't the Springs where Artist Palette is? I thought we would need to walk there for a counter service breakfast
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #815
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member

The Springs is another building section of SSR. If you are in The Grandstand section, you are at the most a 5 minute walk to the Carriage House and Artist's Palette (counter service). I think you are getting "The Springs" confused with "High Rock Springs" pool which is the main pool at SSR.

Does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddisrunner View Post
Isn't the Springs where Artist Palette is? I thought we would need to walk there for a counter service breakfast
Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #816
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member

Hi again!
I just wanted to chime in again.
Now, this is just my personal opinion, but I do not believe we'd be able to handle 2 or 3 table service meals a day. First, it'd be too much eating for us, second I think it would waste too much time and third, with the heat it might be too much food. We get burned out of eating out so much after about 5 or6 days so, take what I say with a grain of salt.

We do, however, enjoy eating at least one TS a day - sometimes two a day but not everyday. We enjoy having some meals (carefree ones) in our villa. We use Garden Grocer and get an order delivered to us. This saves us some great money! With the DVC member card and the TIW card we get great discounts on meals. Whenever we calculated the numbers, we always saved more without the Dining Plan and just using our discount cards.

You'll find (especially after this lengthy trip) that DVC stays are great for more relaxation and resort enjoyment. Not having to be anywhere at any specific time 24 hours a day is wonderful. You'll come to enjoy the flexibilty over time. We used to be hard core park tourists with rigid ADR schedules. But after several trips it has become so much more relaxed and flexible.

You'll have a great time no matter what! I'm sure of it! Cannot wait to hear your updates.

Take care,
Melody
Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #817
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Hi Diane,
Like the others have said, I would do the math with the ADR'S you have now.
I think deluxe would work best with what you have booked for ADR's. Ask Brian again if he is sure about the dining choices. Even the buffets have healthy options. I do thin the deluxe plan is a lot of sitting down for meals and takes up lots of time. But you do have two weeks there and some of your meals are 2 TS so that helps a lot. If you do decide on the regular plan then bring some breakfast items with you for your room. That way you don't have to walk to the springs for CS. I will need my morning tea while we are there so someone will be walking over there on our trip too.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #818
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Since you are going to be there for 2 weeks and will have plenty of time to do the different things you want to do, I would stick with the deluxe plan, so there are more choices for Bryan
Old 05-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #819
CRSNDSNY

DVC Member

Whether you are in a studio villa or larger, you'll be able to make your own tea. No need to walk anywhere. Just bring your own teabags. That's the beauty of DVC - the ability to have so many more home-conveniences right in your villa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
I will need my morning tea while we are there so someone will be walking over there on our trip too.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #820
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Springs is another building section of SSR. If you are in The Grandstand section, you are at the most a 5 minute walk to the Carriage House and Artist's Palette (counter service). I think you are getting "The Springs" confused with "High Rock Springs" pool which is the main pool at SSR.

Does this make sense?
Thanks for clearing that up!

Quote:
Hi again!
I just wanted to chime in again.
Now, this is just my personal opinion, but I do not believe we'd be able to handle 2 or 3 table service meals a day. First, it'd be too much eating for us, second I think it would waste too much time and third, with the heat it might be too much food. We get burned out of eating out so much after about 5 or6 days so, take what I say with a grain of salt.

We do, however, enjoy eating at least one TS a day - sometimes two a day but not everyday. We enjoy having some meals (carefree ones) in our villa. We use Garden Grocer and get an order delivered to us. This saves us some great money! With the DVC member card and the TIW card we get great discounts on meals. Whenever we calculated the numbers, we always saved more without the Dining Plan and just using our discount cards.

You'll find (especially after this lengthy trip) that DVC stays are great for more relaxation and resort enjoyment. Not having to be anywhere at any specific time 24 hours a day is wonderful. You'll come to enjoy the flexibilty over time. We used to be hard core park tourists with rigid ADR schedules. But after several trips it has become so much more relaxed and flexible.

You'll have a great time no matter what! I'm sure of it! Cannot wait to hear your updates.

Take care,
Melody
Thanks Melody, update coming right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Hi Diane,
Like the others have said, I would do the math with the ADR'S you have now.
I think deluxe would work best with what you have booked for ADR's. Ask Brian again if he is sure about the dining choices. Even the buffets have healthy options. I do thin the deluxe plan is a lot of sitting down for meals and takes up lots of time. But you do have two weeks there and some of your meals are 2 TS so that helps a lot. If you do decide on the regular plan then bring some breakfast items with you for your room. That way you don't have to walk to the springs for CS. I will need my morning tea while we are there so someone will be walking over there on our trip too.
Thanks for the advice Nichole! I just realized as I am typing this, you are at Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Since you are going to be there for 2 weeks and will have plenty of time to do the different things you want to do, I would stick with the deluxe plan, so there are more choices for Bryan
Thanks Kelly!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #821
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I still need to figure out our tipping budget, mousekeeping money , print out itineraries and too much more to type

Countdown looks like this..........

27 days left of school
19 days until Mary Poppins
39 days until Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane
I know the count down has shaved a few more days off of these, but how great is that!?!?! The other stuff, the DDP, the SSR decisions, they'll all fall into place. I look forward to seeing what you have finally decided. These are big decisions, and yet they can be easy too, when you step back from them. I will second the post about SSR -- we thought it was great. A nice place. A great resort to END your two weeks of Disney!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #822
dddisrunner
DIS Veteran

Decisions, Decisions!

Hi everyone! Sorry it's been awhile. WOW, what a crazy May this has been for us (I am sure for all of you too!) Well after hours of crunching numbers and working out the value of the credits we have decided to..............keep the deluxe dining plan!! It just offers more value. It will be great for Bryan to be able to eat an appetizer and an entree and if he doesn't want dessert, one of the kids can have it! We have only 2 sit down meals scheduled a day, that coupled with being there for 16 days made it a great decision for our family! I did change some ressies around. We have dropped the HDDR There really isn't too many things for Bryan to eat and it just became less of a value! We are OK with it and it freed up another night to walk around DTD which is one of our favorite things to do!!

So, I have been shopping! Here are my crocs!

The boys haven't come in yet but when they do, I will put up some pictures!

We had an AWESOME mail day on Friday............

Eric's name wasn't on the booklet so I had to call back and add him and they were sending a new one ASAP! She told me to just keep the tags I already had too, so now we will have 7 if we need them!!

Also, our MNSSHP tickets came in the mail on the same day!!

So excited for that! I called DVC on Friday too and we are currently on the waitlist for BLT for that visit too!!

We have also gone ahead and purchased La Nouba tickets for our June visit!!! SO EXCITED about that, cannot wait to see it!!

I am still at a loss for Bryan for Father's Day and his birthday!

Another dilemma is a STROLLER! Matthew doesn't need one at all anymore but Eric will! Should I rent or buy one here? I saw a Maclaren Volo for $90 at Target, it holds up to 55 lbs and it is SO LIGHTWEIGHT! $90 is cheaper than renting and I could have it for DTD and walking around SSR? What do you guys think?

Our countdown now looks like this....

14 days til Mary Poppins
23 days left of school
34 days until Disney!!

Have a GREAT Sunday! It is raining here, but I am thankful, my house has been neglected lately because of the awesome weather we have had!!

Diane

Old 05-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #823
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar

Quote:
Hi everyone! Sorry it's been awhile. WOW, what a crazy May this has been for us (I am sure for all of you too!) Well after hours of crunching numbers and working out the value of the credits we have decided to..............keep the deluxe dining plan!! It just offers more value. It will be great for Bryan to be able to eat an appetizer and an entree and if he doesn't want dessert, one of the kids can have it! We have only 2 sit down meals scheduled a day, that coupled with being there for 16 days made it a great decision for our family! I did change some ressies around. We have dropped the HDDR There really isn't too many things for Bryan to eat and it just became less of a value! We are OK with it and it freed up another night to walk around DTD which is one of our favorite things to do!!

So, I have been shopping! Here are my crocs!

The boys haven't come in yet but when they do, I will put up some pictures!

We had an AWESOME mail day on Friday............

Eric's name wasn't on the booklet so I had to call back and add him and they were sending a new one ASAP! She told me to just keep the tags I already had too, so now we will have 7 if we need them!!

Also, our MNSSHP tickets came in the mail on the same day!!

So excited for that! I called DVC on Friday too and we are currently on the waitlist for BLT for that visit too!!

We have also gone ahead and purchased La Nouba tickets for our June visit!!! SO EXCITED about that, cannot wait to see it!!

I am still at a loss for Bryan for Father's Day and his birthday!

Another dilemma is a STROLLER! Matthew doesn't need one at all anymore but Eric will! Should I rent or buy one here? I saw a Maclaren Volo for $90 at Target, it holds up to 55 lbs and it is SO LIGHTWEIGHT! $90 is cheaper than renting and I could have it for DTD and walking around SSR? What do you guys think?

Our countdown now looks like this....

14 days til Mary Poppins
23 days left of school
34 days until Disney!!

Have a GREAT Sunday! It is raining here, but I am thankful, my house has been neglected lately because of the awesome weather we have had!!

Diane

THe crocs are super cute!!!

Glad you decided on the deluxe dining plan and yay for more time at DTD

LaNouba looks so Cool

I love Disney Mail

I can relate with the Magical express. The reservation was in my name and I was the only one not on the booklet when I got it too

Halloween tickets are cute

Getting so close now..a few more days and you will be in the 20s
Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #824
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

First of all... love the crocs. I think my poor Cleos are worn beyond hope... at least the brown pair, I better dig the other pair out of the closet and wear them for a while.

Love seeing your MNSHP tickets... that will be so fun. Your kids are the perfect age for that, I cannot wait to do that someday when mine are bigger. DH and I loved it, I liked it better than the Christmas Party to be honest.

Hannah rides in our MaClaren a lot.... it fits her nice, and she is about the same size as Eric right. 90 is a lot less than renting one, I am dreading forking out that money, but we are lots of trips away from not needing a stroller.

So excited about your tickets to Cirque, have you seen one before? We saw O in Vegas... wow! I contemplated getting tickets for DH and I and leaving the kids one night, but I decided that is a lot of work right now. Someday....

Here is hoping you get BLT for your fall trip, that would be awesome.

For Father's Day I did order DH a Mickey tee, the all american one on Disney shopping... he is a patriotic guy so I thought since we are there close to the fourth he would like, maybe Bryan needs it for the fourth of july. (I think he is getting a darn DVD player for Father's Day... ours is acting up and he refuses to get a new one, much to Hannah's dismay!)

Have a great week Diane... love watching those days tick tick tick down!
Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #825
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Love your new crocs. I tried those on and really like the feel, but my foot is too wide and stuck out a little. I hate wide feet. Deluxe Dining sounds great! Maybe someday we'll try it.

I got my ME stuff this past week too. They misspelled my sister and nieces last names so I called and requested more. How important is it if their names are spelled right on the booklet? I didn't think to ask for a reprint on the booklet too. For now I'm going to wait and see what they send me.

We're down to 35 sleeps. I wish we had a Disney Musical to help speed the time up. We do have the end of school and dance recital to help hurry things along.

Have you thought about renting a stroller from an outside vendor? It would save you having to haul it down there and back, but you would still have it 24/7 while you're there.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: