Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
DisneyOpa
Earning My Ears

Tipping guidelines if not dining every day

Does anyone have any advice for tipping if we don't dine in the main dining room each night of our cruise? Should I still leave the full amount? I read somewhere that the servers' only income is from tips. Thanks!
DisneyOpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
momto2inKC
DIS Veteran

It's still recommended that you tip the full amount. We did not eat in the dining room for dinner one night, nor did we eat breakfast the last morning in the dining room. We did however still give the full tip amount.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
DG Cruiser
Earning My Ears

Yes, it is true that the servers main income is from their tips. They get VERY little if anything from the cruise lines. I ate in the dining room everynight except one, & never for breakfast or lunch. I gave full amount plus an extra $20.00 for each. They are all so nice & give great service.
DG Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
MassDisLovers
A dream is a wish your heart makes....

As other posters have said, you are supposed to tip the full amount, as the server tips are considered to be for all meals that you eat anywhere on the ship. The dining room servers work in Topsiders/BBB and the pool side places during their non-dining room hours, and do not get tips in those locations. That being said, there are also some threads that also say that if you are going to be eating in Topsiders/BBB in the evenings (dinner is a sit-down/ table service meal, not a buffet), and not in your assigned dining room, that you should consider tipping those servers each evening in cash. Just something to think about.....
Carnival Fantasy 8/1992- the "Hurricane Andrew cruise"! ** Disney Magic 2/2002- Eastern ** Disney Magic 4/2004 - Western ** RCI Mariner of the Seas 4/2005 ** Carnival Celebration 8/2005 ** Carnival Liberty 4/2006 * Disney Magic 12/2006 - special Christmas cruise ** RCI Adventure of the Seas 4/2007 ** Disney Magic 4/2008 - Western ** Disney Magic 2/2010 - Eastern **RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/2011 ** Disney Wonder 8/9/11 - Alaska ** RCI Freedom of the Seas 3/2013 ** Disney Wonder 5/2014- California Coast **Disney's Magic Music Days 1999, 2003, & 2007 **Disneyland 1993, 2006, 2007 & 2010 *** Walt Disney World - too many trips to count !***
DVC members since 1992~ OKW & BDWK
MassDisLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

In addition to the above, I'd also add that your seat at dinner is your seat for the entire cruise. If you're not sitting there, then no one else is (except in very rare instances when they might move someone for a night). Because of that, the server has no way to "make up" any tips for that night should you choose to eat elsewhere. I feel like since they had no say in where I decided to eat that night, they still deserve the tip as if I'd been there since no one else is paying for that seat on that night.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

We always do Palo and sometimes do casual dinner too, but we still tip the full amount. We figure that we have servers assigned to us who will be there even if we're not, so we compensate them accordingly.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
DisneyOpa
Earning My Ears

Thanks to all

After reading these posts, everything that everyone has said makes perfect sense. I appreciate the comments and insight. Thanks to all, and yes...I'll be sure to leave the full tip (and then some, if the service is "Disney" quality).
DisneyOpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Let's not forget that they work at Cookies too. I have had my serving team twice the main workers at Cookies, which I think is the hardest of all of the meals served. I tell you one thing..... I think they put more work into there than they do any other servings..... That shift rotation is the short end of the stick.... They deserve the money.

Thanks, Cheri & Johnna. Thanks Tiny Tink & LtWDWdream. & Thanks Rani
atinkerbellmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The tip that you give your dinner servers represents ALL the service that you have received anywhere throughout the cruise--whether at Topsiders, Cookie's, Goofy's Galley, Pluto's, lunch in dining rooms, etc.... Your servers were assigned to these places at various times throughout the cruise.

Your seat was reserved for you throughout the cruise. The fact that YOU made a decision to eat elsewhere for some meals shouldn't negatively impact your servers. Someone somewhere served you, and this is reflected in the tip to your assigned servers.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, tipping, tips

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: