Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #76
Eeyore's-tail-tack
Mouseketeer

Subscribing

LOL, I believe one of my first post on Dis, was asking about Pal Mickey. We had planned a trip that never happened. I knew that my first purchase was going to be a Pal Mickey. To my horror when my son and daughter-in-law returned home they informed me that Disney was discontinuing Pal Mickey. I still get a little teary-eyed thinking about the Pal Mickey I never got to enjoy the greatest place on earth with. They were told, that maybe a new interactive toy was in the planning stages. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Oh I hope so! For this september I am finally going to make it to Disney.

ME DH DS DBIL
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #77
pixidustmom
Dreaming of the World

This is some seriously funny stuff. I love it. Just came across it and I am hooked. I keep saying to my DD listen to this and OMG that is so funny. She is just playing along with me as I am not sure she is really listening to me as she isn't laughing like I was when I first read it to myself.

Come check out my pre trip report.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3254412
POFQ 1996POR 2006 and 2009 Going to POP 2014 Disneyland too many to count
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #78
erika412
Mouseketeer

What did the card say?
95 Disneyland
2001 AS Movies
2005 WL
2007 POFQ
2009 Poly
Celebrating Megan's Kidneys TR
Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #79
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

A fellow "Princess Bride" addict!!! I myself would never feed birds, either, but not because I'm a rule follower. I grew up in San Diego, and as you know, it's near the ocean. To make a long story short, I had a hot dog stolen from me when I was a child by a horrible seagul. To this day, I cannot feed the birds. Now, when it comes to other animals, I'm on board!!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #80
Peter Panic Attack
sudden, discrete periods of intense anxiety coupled with a refusal to grow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's-tail-tack View Post
LOL, I believe one of my first post on Dis, was asking about Pal Mickey. We had planned a trip that never happened. I knew that my first purchase was going to be a Pal Mickey. To my horror when my son and daughter-in-law returned home they informed me that Disney was discontinuing Pal Mickey. I still get a little teary-eyed thinking about the Pal Mickey I never got to enjoy the greatest place on earth with. They were told, that maybe a new interactive toy was in the planning stages. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Oh I hope so! For this september I am finally going to make it to Disney.
Discontinuing indeed.....they just didn't want to pay Pal Mickey fair market value when his contract came up for renewal. And after all he's done for those people.

Have fun in September by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidustmom View Post
This is some seriously funny stuff. I love it. Just came across it and I am hooked. I keep saying to my DD listen to this and OMG that is so funny. She is just playing along with me as I am not sure she is really listening to me as she isn't laughing like I was when I first read it to myself.
Honestly.....do our kids ever listen anymore....I mean really listen.....and we have so much to share.....its a tragedy really

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika412 View Post
What did the card say?
I don't 100% remember....but I'm pretty sure it hinted at physical violence.

I know...they don't mess around with rule breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaxric View Post
A fellow "Princess Bride" addict!!! I myself would never feed birds, either, but not because I'm a rule follower. I grew up in San Diego, and as you know, it's near the ocean. To make a long story short, I had a hot dog stolen from me when I was a child by a horrible seagul. To this day, I cannot feed the birds. Now, when it comes to other animals, I'm on board!!
Tinkershell had a churro swiped by a seagull one time........and she chased it down and took it back.

I know....she doesn't mess around with churro swipers.

She didn't eat it by the way.....I'm pretty sure she'd want me to mention that.
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey
Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died II - Saving Mr. Panic Attack
Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #81
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down

Poor Woobie!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #82
Peter Panic Attack

Chapter 11: Did we really need a whole chapter about lunch?

Our immediate problem after lunch was that Pal Mickey wanted to go on “It’s tough to be a bug” real bad. I’m not sure why…..I think maybe he’s got a bit of a schoolboy crush on Princess Atta…if you get my drift. Anyway, on our last trip to AK, we had skipped this attraction and he was totally devastated…..poor little feller wouldn’t eat for weeks.

You see, the problem was that our kids weren't exactly "onboard" with the whole ITTBAB idea. At this point, I need to confess that we have made some mistakes in the past with our kids. Oh sure, I know… we all make mistakes. What parent out there hasn’t slightly overheated a baby bottle…..or misplaced a pacifier….or ran out of diapers and tried to use sandwich bags and duct tape. The point is that we’ve all been there. I’m talking about different mistakes. What mistakes, you ask? Nah….I don’t really want to get into it....too painful.

Ok, you twisted my arm…here are the juicy details. When DS was 7 and DD was 4, we took them to Disneyland. Wow….what terrific parents we are. Hmmm….you’d think so, wouldn’t you? Anyway, we did almost everything right…..with one major exception. We took them on “Honey I shrunk the Audience”. In hindsight, they miiiiiiiiight have been a little young.

Looking back, I’m not even sure how much of the show they actually watched, but I do know that the only “shrink” they enjoyed was the one they visited for 90 minutes every Wednesday afternoon for a year and a half after we got them back home. I’ll never forget the look of betrayal in their little eyes as we picked them up from the floor…..still curled up tightly in the fetal position. It was awful. That look haunts me to this day.

Ever since the “incident”, it’s been tough sledding trying to get them on a 3-D attraction. On our last trip, we were successful with “Mickey’s Philharmagic” and “Muppet 3-D” mostly because….well, lets be honest….how scary can Mickey and the Muppets be? I mean, sure the kids were traumatized….but they still had their pride. Bugs, on the other hand, carry a built-in scare factor…..and subsequently the kids had been telling us to talk to the hand...because the traumatized face isn't listening.

So, after lunch…while they were fat and happy…we just kind of threw it out there. “Hey kids, who’s up for a little ITTBAB” and then we tried to act real nonchalant…..you know….like we didn’t care. Initially, there was just silence…so I snuck a quick peek to make sure they hadn’t dropped down into the fetal position again. To my surprise, they still looked relatively happy….with possibly a hint of apprehension mixed in. That was a good sign…..because I’ll take mild apprehension over blind terror any day…..as anybody that was at our wedding and saw the look on Tinkershell’s face can attest. Yup…..I’d have taken a look of mild apprehension on that day for sure. It was awful. That look haunts me to this day.

Anyway, next thing we knew we were winding through the path that leads to ITTBAB. Can you smell that people? That’s the smell of victory……..although, well, I’m sure we’ll be fine. As we took our seats, I felt obligated to warn the kids about the little “sting in the back” part of the show. I had done some research on this sting and had determined from the numerous first-hand eye-witness reports that the sensation ranged anywhere from a very slight tickle in the back to an excruciating surge of electricity that ripped through your body and left you teetering on the brink of unconsciousness….depending on who you asked. That’s about the time DD Woob’s mild apprehension turned to blind terror. I don't know....maybe honesty isn't the best policy.

So far so good.....we might just pull this thing off.

After what seemed like an eternity of dangling spiders and rampaging rodents, we emerged from the attraction apologizing profusely to DD Woob….who was no longer speaking to us. Pal Mickey was doing his best to comfort her, all the while shooting me a dirty “I told you so” look over her shoulder…..which is a total load of bull because he’s the one that wanted to go on it in the first place. Thanks a lot Pal Mickey…..hang me out to dry why don’t you.

I think she's in shock

Next up: Chapter 12 - oh...just shut up with the chapters already...they're nonsense
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Last edited by Peter Panic Attack; 07-01-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #83
superminnie
Mouseketeer

Poor DD Woob, I know how she feels. You know...I'm starting to think you are blaming poor departed Pal Mickey for things that were not his fault....then again perhaps I have been watching too many detective show and am overly suspicious......
Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #84
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

My father would call that a "character building experience". I know some adults that don't care for ITTBAB. I love to get unsuspecting grown ups on this attraction and watch their reactions. It's hilarious.

Poor little Woobie, did you keep the number of that therapist?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #85
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

"Oh sure, I know… we all make mistakes. What parent out there hasn’t slightly overheated a baby bottle…..or misplaced a pacifier….or ran out of diapers and tried to use sandwich bags and duct tape. "

Thats just flat out hysterical!!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #86
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

We also traumatized our DS on HISTA. DH had to carry him out of there flailing and screaming in the middle of the movie. It's been 9 years and I think he's forgiven us - almost.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #87
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by superminnie View Post
You know...I'm starting to think you are blaming poor departed Pal Mickey for things that were not his fault....then again perhaps I have been watching too many detective show and am overly suspicious......
After a little honest soul-searching....I think you may be right....but it's Pal Mickey's fault

Quote:
Poor little Woobie, did you keep the number of that therapist?
With me as a parent.....it's on speed dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Brown View Post
"Oh sure, I know… we all make mistakes. What parent out there hasn’t slightly overheated a baby bottle…..or misplaced a pacifier….or ran out of diapers and tried to use sandwich bags and duct tape. "

Thats just flat out hysterical!!
I've got to admit...even I laughed at that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
We also traumatized our DS on HISTA. DH had to carry him out of there flailing and screaming in the middle of the movie. It's been 9 years and I think he's forgiven us - almost.
Don't beat yourself up......therapists gotta eat too

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #88
Peter Panic Attack

Chapter 12 – Oh…just shut up with the chapters already…they’re nonsense

Seeing as DD Woobie needed a little time to regain her composure…not to mention her Disney magic… we decided to saunter on over to Maharajah Jungle Trek because….in my experience…. nothing soothes frazzled nerves like giant bats. Corpus Kilochiroptera? Yes, but to the natives... Shikaka.

They called MJT a self-guided tour…but we threw caution to the wind and designated DS Buddy as our official un-official tour guide….to keep him out of trouble as much as anything. I believe it was 12th century English author and poet Geoff Chaucer who wrote “idle hands are the devil’s tools”…or was that Jeff Probst, emmy-winning host of Survivor…I always get those two mixed up. Anyway, being christened the official un-official guide also gave DS Buddy the opportunity to dust off his Hoover Dam tour guide bit from Vegas Vacation. “I’ll be your dam tour guide ….does anyone have any dam questions?.......please don’t forget to visit the dam gift shop.”

My problem with zoos or zoo-type places is that I want to walk up to an exhibit….identify the animal…and then move on. The rest of the family, on the other hand….prefer to loiter….or dawdle, if you prefer. They want to snap pictures. They try to communicate with the animals through pantomime. They join hands and close their eyes…..trying to imagine what it would be like to switch places with each individual animal….to walk a mile in it’s hooves, if you will. They are 100% immersed in the experience….which is great… if you aren’t saddled with my tiny microscopic attention span.

By the time we finished MJT, our fastpasses for KS had suitably ripened and we were good to go. And not a moment to soon either, because Pal Mickey had heard rumors through some of his old AK contacts that there were poachers in the area and he was more than a little concerned about his homey Little Red. Pal Mickey was like that….always thinking of others before himself. He had a heart of gold. I know this for a fact, because it bought it online in a special Pal Mickey accessory pack …..along with nerves of steel and a kung-fu grip.

Sure enough, about half way through our peaceful safari, the driver received a radio message that Little Red was in trouble. It sounded like it might be too late for Big Red… the sweet and sassy single-mother of Little Red ….who was probably better known as the savy business-women responsible for the #1 selling cinnamon gum since 1987….but we might just be able to save her baby.

What followed was a harrowing chase over rough jungle trails….much of which was a blur to me…although at one point I do remember screaming at the driver to stop because I was positive we had just passed DeVine. Ultimately, we were able to chase off the poachers and save the day….all thanks to Pal Mickey….according to him.

Next up: Chapter 13 – We’re still at AK right? Just checking

Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #89
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

[QUOTE=Peter Panic Attack;31726835]Chapter 12 – Oh…just shut up with the chapters already…they’re nonsense

My problem with zoos or zoo-type places is that I want to walk up to an exhibit….identify the animal…and then move on. The rest of the family, on the other hand….prefer to loiter….or dawdle, if you prefer. They want to snap pictures. They try to communicate with the animals through pantomime. They join hands and close their eyes…..trying to imagine what it would be like to switch places with each individual animal….to walk a mile in it’s hooves, if you will. They are 100% immersed in the experience….which is great… if you aren’t saddled with my tiny microscopic attention span.[QUOTE]

I would be in the family category, everyone else is in yours. I could sit and stare at the animals all day long.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #90
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:

I would be in the family category, everyone else is in yours. I could sit and stare at the animals all day long.
you are "at one with nature"...just like Tinkershell and the kids. Me..not so much. In fact, I may hold the record for number of times being stung. I've been stung inside my shoe. I've been stung with my arm out the car window at 60 mph. I've even had a bee get stuck inside my sunglasses and been stung. Obviously....nature hates me....or at least dislikes me deeply.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: