Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #31
Peter Panic Attack
sudden, discrete periods of intense anxiety coupled with a refusal to grow up

Chapter 6: MVMCP, we finally made it.

We are Christmas folk. Not sure why. Not sure how. But there you have it. In our household, Tinkershell has been moving the start of the Christmas season up a little bit each year to the point where our kids are putting up their stockings while the other kids in the neighborhood are eating potato salad and fried chicken and shooting off bottle rockets. As a result, there was never any doubt as to whether or not we were going to attend MVMCP. And don’t even get me started about Pal Mickey. He’s a Christmas freak…..plus it’s his own party….his own very merry Christmas party.

As our bus was approaching MK, we could see that Wishes was already in progress. Nuts, that’s a bit of a bummer. We love Wishes. Oh well, at least we had Christmas Wishes later in the evening…. plus we had tons of opportunities to catch the Non-Christmas version of Wishes later in the week. No need to panic…..I’m sure we’ll be fine. I mean, what are the chances that, in the up-coming days, we would botch every one of the multitude of opportunities afforded us to see Wishes and would, ultimately, end up heading home sans-Wishes…..or Wishless if you prefer. Well…. I don’t have those exact percentages in front of me….but I’m sure they’re pretty small.

Anyway, it had been many moons since Tinkershell and I had been to MK at Christmas and it was truly an awesome sight as we emerged onto Main Street USA. There were garland and wreaths strung across the street; a ginormous decorated tree in the town square; and the castle had been covered in glowing icicles. Pal Mickey was so excited I was afraid he was going to wet his tiny santa suit…..which would have been a problem because we had left his sorcerers suit back at home and he would have had to spend the rest of the vacation in a white undershirt and his little boxers…and black socks.

Our first order of business was to get the kids something to eat. Well, that’s not exactly true. Our first order of business was to take a couple hundred pictures of Pal Mickey and the kids with the castle in the background….but our second order of business was to get something to eat. If memory serves me, our last legitimate meal had been at an airport KFC in Denver way earlier in the day and, since that time, we had been surviving on nuts and berries and whatever we could beg off strangers.

Unfortunately, we were not privy to the fact that a lot of MK restaurants close down early in preparation for the start of MVMCP…..and the ones that do stay open are not necessarily offering their full menu. Our kid’s favorite counter-service restaurant is Columbia Harbor House but, alas, as we approached it we noticed it was shrouded in darkness and nobody inside responded when we pounded on the windows and cried for help. Eventually, with heavy hearts, we settled for Pinocchio Village Haus, although DD was disappointed with the mini pizzas….which was all they were serving. In retrospect, we shouldn’t have been surprised…..I mean, honestly, how can you possibly enjoy food prepared by a talking puppet who misspells “house.”

After a quick bite, Pal Mickey was itching to get his party groove thang on so we popped our matching santa hats back on our heads and hit the streets. Did I mention we were all wearing matching santa hats? Was there ever any doubt? I’m surprised we didn’t wear them on the plane.

See...matching santa hats.....except me....I'm wearing a powdered wig I swiped from the Hall of Presidents

On our last WDW vacation, Mickey’s Philharmagic was our first stop and…..being a family that values tradition…that’s where we headed. We love that attraction…..although I must admit….we do occasionally put on our 3-D glasses before we are supposed to....like out in the waiting area before they open the doors to the theater. Well…..how else are you supposed to get the pictures with all the gangsta poses? Surprisingly, this attraction isn’t one of Pal Mickey’s favorites. It has to do with his tiny head……he can only look through one side of the glasses at a time……inevitably he gets frustrated and starts to pout. Look him with his little arms folded and his big lip.

The kids are working the gangsta attitude....I'm more like a angry Thomas Jefferson

After that, we meandered on over to BTMR which we rode with no line at all. We love that ride at night…..it’s a totally different experience than the day-time trip….because its darker and stuff….you know what I mean. Anyway, right after we were done…..Pal Mickey begged to go again. What the heck, it’s his party right… so off we went. He makes me nervous on that ride because.....when he puts his little hands in the air......I’m afraid he’s going to shoot right off into the night. I kind of wish we had brought his lanyard along just to make sure we didn’t lose him. I know, I know….sometimes I worry too much. I’m sure he’ll be fine.

We didn’t stay to the very end of the party because…well…it was a travel day and I was running on two hours of sleep…but the crowds were really light the whole night and we got to ride a bunch of stuff. We also got a prime spot for the parade…right up front so Pal Mickey could see. We didn’t get the cookies though…..I guess we kind of forgot all about them….we aren’t cookie folk apparently.

Next up: Chapter 7: Get on with it….what is this War and Peace.
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey
Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died II - Saving Mr. Panic Attack

Last edited by Peter Panic Attack; 08-25-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:05 PM   #32
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

Ah, the MVMCP, a must do if you are ever at WDW at Christmas. My DH and I are Christmas people too, we've only been to WDW around that time of year.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #33
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

This has to be one of the greatest trip reports in the history of trip reports!! My DS is looking at me like im possessed because I am LMAO!! (I hope I can type that acronym!!)

Take as much time as you need to write this!! Im subscribing!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #34
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaxric View Post
Ah, the MVMCP, a must do if you are ever at WDW at Christmas. My DH and I are Christmas people too, we've only been to WDW around that time of year.
We are going back again this Christmas....we have no choice....we're hooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Brown View Post
This has to be one of the greatest trip reports in the history of trip reports!! My DS is looking at me like im possessed because I am LMAO!! (I hope I can type that acronym!!)
I believe it was William Shakespeare who said "some men are born great....some achieve greatness...and some have greatness thrust upon them....and others simply have waaaaaaay too much time on their hands" or was that Aristotle....I always get those two mixed up.
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #35
Peter Panic Attack

Chapter 7: Get on with it….what is this War and Peace.

We are Mountain Standard Time folk. Not sure why. Not sure how. But there you have it. Ok….this time I do know why. It’s because everybody humored to all these “round earth” nutjobs who insisted on breaking the globe up into different time zones. Yeah right….like the sun comes up different in Florida than it does at home….whatever. If I had my way, I’d stick the whole bunch of them in a ship and sail them right over the edge.

Anyway, it was an AK day, and come heck or high water, this was one family that was going to be there for rope drop….cuz that’s how the P.Attacks roll. The park officially opened at 9:00 am est (7:00 am mst) so our game plan was to be at the bus stop at 8:15 am (6:15 am). Therefore….working backward from our optimum bus stop arrival time…and taking into consideration Tinkershell’s 60 minute morning beauty ritual…plus throw in an extra 30 minutes for breakfast and coffee in the room….we had set that nasty alarm for 6:45 am (4:45 am..ouch).

Needless to say, the family was a little groggy the next morning so it took a couple of extra buckets full of icy water to get them out of bed…..except Pal Mickey….because of his unreasonable fear of water….which, coincidentally, is why we never get to visit the water parks. Pal Mickey sleeps in a dresser drawer so we just bang it open and shut a couple of time and then run for cover…..talk about grouchy in the morning.

Tinkershell was already busy preening behind the bathroom curtain so I decided to slip on over to the POFQ food court for a couple of steaming mugs of Juan Valdez’s best….you know….mother’s little helper…liquid lightning….morning thunder?…..the black ichor of life?….fine… coffee. Anyway, when I left, the kids and Pal Mickey were all sitting on the bed…watching a cartoon…and mindlessly spooning cereal into their little yappers….except Pal Mickey who, once again, wasn’t hungry…..hmmmm….I wonder if he’s a sleep snacker?

It was a short walk over to the food court (which was a pleasant change from CBR on our last trip where I needed a machete and g.p.s) and it was a beautiful morning to boot. I half expected little cartoon birds to appear with a cloak made of flowers and gently lay it across my shoulders all the while singing a beautiful medley of Disney favorites. In hindsight, it’s probably best that they didn’t because….even in WDW….seeing cartoon birds is not good thing….and nowhere in Tinkershell’s non-negotiable itinerary did it list “cat scan”.

By the time I returned, Tinkershell had completed her beauty transformation and was cramming the last minute essentials into our trusty fanny pack (thaaaaats right, I said fanny pack…..and I can hear you snickering in the back by the way…). There were band aids and baby powder; sunscreen and socks; aloe and antacids; and finally….(shudder)….moleskin. Every time I hear the word moleskin, I get this mental picture of a scared little mole down in a pit and Tinkershell lowering it lotion in a basket. “Think Clarice….what does Tinkershell covet?”

On our last trip to AK two years ago, I wore a leafy green Hawaiian-type shirt to AK and was ripped a new one by some crabby lady who thought I was a CM. So sue me…I just thought it would help me sneak up on Devine. I’m pretty sure it was John Powell who said “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing” or was it Aristotle…I always get those two mixed up. Anyway, I was still trying to figure out if it was Powell or Aristotle who said that as I slipped into my leafy green Hawaiian shirt…. and slapped on a little camouflage face paint to boot ….because today Devine wasn’t even going to see me coming.

As soon as Tinkershell had me loaded up like the pack mule from “Maverick, Legend of the Lazy Ace”, we were headed for the bus stop. I was a little anxious because this is our first morning bus experience and…as everyone knows…. the foundation of any successful WDW experience is the bus stop. If you approach your bus stop and it has the appearance of a free David Hasselhoff concert in Munich Central Park…..you’ve got problems. To my great relief, ours looked more like a free Adam Lambert concert at the Grand Ole Opry.

Next up: Chpt 8: Please…I’m begging you… just get on the bus already

Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #36
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

That Pal Mickey, he's probably hoarding snacks in his sleeping drawer!

Coffee, yeah, that's not what most people call the so called brew at WDW. . . Hopefully it helped to revive you to become the fabulous pack mule that you were made to be.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #37
Peter Panic Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaxric View Post
That Pal Mickey, he's probably hoarding snacks in his sleeping drawer!

For some reason, Pal Mickey's appetite for food did not match his appetite for life.

Even when he sat down to eat a meal with us...which was seldom....he was so busy with his personal appearances and charity work.....I'd often find food hidden in his napkin.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

Your trip report really makes me laugh uncontrollably... I read today in the Unofficial Guide about a family who ripped off Pal Mickey's head, legs and arms and just used his main body..apparently he can still function without all the other body parts ?
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #39
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shordiebecka View Post
Your trip report really makes me laugh uncontrollably... I read today in the Unofficial Guide about a family who ripped off Pal Mickey's head, legs and arms and just used his main body..apparently he can still function without all the other body parts ?

That's possitively the worst thing I've ever seen on these boards. I mean, really, who does something like that? It's down right sacreligious!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #40
MeLaNie9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Panic Attack View Post

Every time I hear the word moleskin, I get this mental picture of a scared little mole down in a pit and Tinkershell lowering it lotion in a basket. “Think Clarice….what does Tinkershell covet?”

Love it...

04/1978 CR, 07/1985 CR, 06/1993 DL, 11/2000 ASSp, 05/2006 Poly, 02/2007 YC, 11/2007 CSR, 12/2008 BC, 05/2009 POFQ, 11/2009 DLR-GCH, 05/2010 Atlantis launch and CBR, 11/2010 BWI, 05/2012 POR, 08/2012 DCL-Dream and POR, 10/2013 CSR and DCL-Dream, 3/2014 DCL-Magic surprise getaway!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #41
dallastxcpa
DIS Veteran

Lovin the trip report. Can't wait for the next installment.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #42
Stormhawk
Earning My Ears

So Funny, it should come with a warning...

This has to be one of the funniest TRs of all times. Would you be interested in a job writing SW Test reports
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #43
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

I just cannot believe she wouldn't budget you a little time for a cat scan.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
Old 04-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #44
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Sometimes you have seen one TR, you have seen them all...but this is unique! Keep it up!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #45
TK Brown
Disney Jedi Master

To my great relief, ours looked more like a free Adam Lambert concert at the Grand Ole Opry.

Now thats funny!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: