Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #31
kidshop
DIS Veteran

Is the current flu shot offering any protection?
kidshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #32
december
DIS Veteran

According to the news tonight, no it is not. Tamiflu does work, but they were warning people about stocking up and the risk of overuse causing a resistant strand.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

I heard about this on the radio coming home from work. My husband is going mid May to Mexico City (maybe a few other cities too, I can't remember) and SA. He speaks to people that live in Mexico City everyday, so I'll ask him what he is hearing.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #34
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

This is from the link on the OP, so maybe people who got the flu shot will have a little protection:

Epidemiologists are particularly concerned because the only people killed so far were normally less-vulnerable young people and adults. It's possible that more vulnerable populations — infants and the aged — had been vaccinated against other strains, and that those vaccines may be providing some protection.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #35
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
While I agree that this particular influenza strain is worrisome, I think it's prudent to just follow the CDC website and try to stay away from the news sources on this. As we all well know, the media seems to enjoy scaring people and sensationalizing this type of stuff to keep up their ratings. I do think this is worth watching but I'm hoping not worth following the lead of the media and causing panic.
The above advice is the best...panic does not need to start over this. IF and when he CDC has any concrete news that this is something major then maybe I'll start to worry. Until then we'll keep doing what we always do here..wash our hands with lots of soap and hot water and try to stay as healthy as we can. So far it's worked for my family for a long time. Other than little colds here and there, no flu or viruses here in over 16 years.

here is the latest from the CDC posted today: http://cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #36
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Dawn, does your husband know of any cases in any other Latin or South American cities? DD20 is still in Ecuador for 6 more weeks - just want to keep myself up to date as she is traveling extensively around the country now and I'd like to make sure she has the best information possible.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #37
honugirl
One of those darn ECV users out to ruin YOUR vacation!

Does anyone know how long the incubation period is? I was in Texas recently, in fact San Antonio first, then Houston for brain surgery. I'm on corticosteroids which lowers your immune system. Just wondering what my risk level might be? I did get my flu shot for this year. My healthy parents were with me was well. I have a lot of friends that travel to MD Anderson for treatment. Our immune systems tend to be shot by the time we travel for treatment. I hope this doesn't mean we all have to stop going down there...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #38
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by honugirl View Post
Does anyone know how long the incubation period is? I was in Texas recently, in fact San Antonio first, then Houston for brain surgery. I'm on corticosteroids which lowers your immune system. Just wondering what my risk level might be? I did get my flu shot for this year. My healthy parents were with me was well. I have a lot of friends that travel to MD Anderson for treatment. Our immune systems tend to be shot by the time we travel for treatment. I hope this doesn't mean we all have to stop going down there...
From what I read, the incubation is 7-14 days. You're risk is VERY small, so don't worry too much.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #39
crazyme5kids
DIS Veteran

My husband said that the people he has been speaking to say it is very serious. They lost a show tonight (cancelled). I know that he and the people he will be working with are going to be watching this carefully.

That being said, I am not in panic mode, but I will be keeping an eye on the situation.
crazyme5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #40
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

There have been several cases of a rare strain of meningitis reported in S. FL. Some of those affected have died. About 3 weeks ago, I received a letter and call from DS's school about a student that came down with meningitis. Turns out that the boy affected is in 3 of DS's classes. I don't know if the boy had the rare strain. Now this Swine flu.

Health Officials 'Watching, Waiting' In Meningitis Scare
POSTED: Friday, April 24, 2009
UPDATED: 2:15 pm EDT April 24, 2009

MIAMI -- A doctor at the Miami-Dade County Health Department said that after four reported deaths from a rare strain of meningitis, experts are still "watching and waiting."
A total of 12 cases of the rare W135 strain of meningitis have been reported in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties in the last five months. Four of the victims died.
Video
Dr. Vince Conte said the last infection reported was that of Jade Thomas, a 26-year-old teacher from Britain on vacation in South Florida who died as a result of the disease.
Thomas' infection and subsequent death happened nearly two weeks ago. The four other patients who died included an 85-year-old woman, a 21-year-old woman and a woman who worked at a day care. Health officials have not released their identities.
Conte said that he is hopeful that the crisis is over, and he said he believes South Florida is "out of the woods."
Conte said health officials have not been able to pinpoint a common element between those infected with the disease.
“To see this many cases of W135 in such a short period of time is a rare occurrence," he said. "We’ve done extensive investigations of all the people who’ve had the meningitis. Unfortunately, we’ve found nothing in common."
Officials said the rare meningitis strain was last seen in Saudi Arabia in 2000. The only South Florida victim who had traveled internationally recently was Thomas, whose infection was the most recent.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is not involved in the investigation. Health officials said the CDC would only become involved if the infections reached epidemic proportions, which Conte said would mean that at least 200 to 250 people were infected.
All of the eight victims who were infected and survived have returned home. Conte said the victims, their families and people who were in close contact with them have received antibiotic courses as a precaution.
Health officials also gave antibiotics to people at the day care where one of the victims worked.
Conte said meningitis vaccinations are available and that they are free for anyone under 18 years old. The vaccinations cost about $120 for adults, he said.
Conte also said that although the W135 strain of meningitis is rare, 10 to 20 percent of people carry the bacteria. He said an infection with symptoms can occur when one of the people carrying the bacteria comes into contact with someone who is susceptible to it.
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #41
Disneycrazymom
DIS Veteran

Don't you need a prescription for Tamiflu? I think the DR gave us a script for it when DS had the flu. It was REALLY REALLY expensive.

Disneycrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #42
flying_babyb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnCt1 View Post
DH just got home from work. He is an ID physician and an expert in influenza, and he feels it could be very serious. The CDC just activated their emergency operation center. Not a common occurrance.
Oh great!! wacth someone at my daycare get it and take us all out.
flying_babyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 AM   #43
MoniqueU
Anything with Malibu in it is great for me
Ask me about my "eyebrows"
Was blinded for several minutes after blowing on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
While I agree that this particular influenza strain is worrisome, I think it's prudent to just follow the CDC website and try to stay away from the news sources on this. As we all well know, the media seems to enjoy scaring people and sensationalizing this type of stuff to keep up their ratings. I do think this is worth watching but I'm hoping not worth following the lead of the media and causing panic.
I agree. I watch the news nearly 24 hours a day unle ss the kids or my DH hijack it. I will be watching this through a cynical eye unless they bring out official from the CDC that tell me to worry. Although the possibility of my kids getting out of school for any reason lifts my spirits. But imagine the further damage something like this would do to our already troubled economy. My husbands desimated business can't take much more. Let's hope mexico gets this under control fast.
MoniqueU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #44
honugirl
One of those darn ECV users out to ruin YOUR vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizK View Post
From what I read, the incubation is 7-14 days. You're risk is VERY small, so don't worry too much.
Thanks for the info! We're completely outside that window now.

I just worry because of the tumor surgery I had, my adrenal glands have completely shut down and I'm on cortisol replacement. This illness would be devastating and probably deadly to someone in my condition because I can't make enough stress hormones to help my body fight off disease. I have to be so careful not to get a cold, the flu, anything. If I get any sort of infection, I have to jump on it immediately, even a simple UTI can land me in the hospital. I will be watching this closely and battening down the hatches if anything starts to come near me.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #45
TheGoofster
all I can do is dream about donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinBelle View Post
There's a Diser from Mexico City, The Goofster I think. Hope they're OK.
Thanks for the kind wishes. We are all doing fine down here, but let me tell you, it is rather interesting to see all that is going on.
The Government has requested (insisted) that pretty much all public gathering places be shut down until further notice. That includes Movie theaters, discos, bars, meetings, churches, etc... In fact they have said that the Government itself will be meeting outside while the main Government buildings are thoroughly disinfected. All the shcools and universities are also closed until further notice. It's really pretty eerie right now driving around here, there are almost no cars on the road. The main grocery stores are still open, but besides that, most other places are closed. About 1 out of every 5 people are wearing a mask over their mouths when they do go out.
They have also requested avoiding the hospitals unless you really need to go.
In a city of 25 - 30 million people, a few hundred is such a small drop in the bucket, but I do appreciate what the city is doing to try and keep this from becoming something serious.
As for us, we will be spending most of the day tomorrow disinfecting our own house (Bleach, Lysol, cleaning agents, etc...), and we will be canceling our own church service on Sunday in compliance with the Government's request (we were planning on having a special Children's day service on Sunday, but we'll just have to post-pone that until a later day).
From what I understand from the media down here, the 60 or so people who have died were all people who waited far too long before going to the doctor. They seem to think that if you start getting some of the systems of this disease, that if you get medical treatment soon enough, it is quite treatable.
I'll try and keep you updated as to what is happening down here. In the 10 years we've been here, this is one of the most unusual things we've ever seen.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: