Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
Peter Panic Attack
sudden, discrete periods of intense anxiety coupled with a refusal to grow up

Chapter 6: MVMCP, we finally made it.

We are Christmas folk. Not sure why. Not sure how. But there you have it. In our household, Tinkershell has been moving the start of the Christmas season up a little bit each year to the point where our kids are putting up their stockings while the other kids in the neighborhood are eating potato salad and fried chicken and shooting off bottle rockets. As a result, there was never any doubt as to whether or not we were going to attend MVMCP. And don’t even get me started about Pal Mickey. He’s a Christmas freak…..plus it’s his own party….his own very merry Christmas party.

As our bus was approaching MK, we could see that Wishes was already in progress. Nuts, that’s a bit of a bummer. We love Wishes. Oh well, at least we had Christmas Wishes later in the evening…. plus we had tons of opportunities to catch the Non-Christmas version of Wishes later in the week. No need to panic…..I’m sure we’ll be fine. I mean, what are the chances that, in the up-coming days, we would botch every one of the multitude of opportunities afforded us to see Wishes and would, ultimately, end up heading home sans-Wishes…..or Wishless if you prefer. Well…. I don’t have those exact percentages in front of me….but I’m sure they’re pretty small.

Anyway, it had been many moons since Tinkershell and I had been to MK at Christmas and it was truly an awesome sight as we emerged onto Main Street USA. There were garland and wreaths strung across the street; a ginormous decorated tree in the town square; and the castle had been covered in glowing icicles. Pal Mickey was so excited I was afraid he was going to wet his tiny santa suit…..which would have been a problem because we had left his sorcerers suit back at home and he would have had to spend the rest of the vacation in a white undershirt and his little boxers…and black socks.

Our first order of business was to get the kids something to eat. Well, that’s not exactly true. Our first order of business was to take a couple hundred pictures of Pal Mickey and the kids with the castle in the background….but our second order of business was to get something to eat. If memory serves me, our last legitimate meal had been at an airport KFC in Denver way earlier in the day and, since that time, we had been surviving on nuts and berries and whatever we could beg off strangers.

Unfortunately, we were not privy to the fact that a lot of MK restaurants close down early in preparation for the start of MVMCP…..and the ones that do stay open are not necessarily offering their full menu. Our kid’s favorite counter-service restaurant is Columbia Harbor House but, alas, as we approached it we noticed it was shrouded in darkness and nobody inside responded when we pounded on the windows and cried for help. Eventually, with heavy hearts, we settled for Pinocchio Village Haus, although DD was disappointed with the mini pizzas….which was all they were serving. In retrospect, we shouldn’t have been surprised…..I mean, honestly, how can you possibly enjoy food prepared by a talking puppet who misspells “house.”

After a quick bite, Pal Mickey was itching to get his party groove thang on so we popped our matching santa hats back on our heads and hit the streets. Did I mention we were all wearing matching santa hats? Was there ever any doubt? I’m surprised we didn’t wear them on the plane.

See...matching santa hats.....except me....I'm wearing a powdered wig I swiped from the Hall of Presidents

On our last WDW vacation, Mickey’s Philharmagic was our first stop and…..being a family that values tradition…that’s where we headed. We love that attraction…..although I must admit….we do occasionally put on our 3-D glasses before we are supposed to....like out in the waiting area before they open the doors to the theater. Well…..how else are you supposed to get the pictures with all the gangsta poses? Surprisingly, this attraction isn’t one of Pal Mickey’s favorites. It has to do with his tiny head……he can only look through one side of the glasses at a time……inevitably he gets frustrated and starts to pout. Look him with his little arms folded and his big lip.

The kids are working the gangsta attitude....I'm more like a angry Thomas Jefferson

After that, we meandered on over to BTMR which we rode with no line at all. We love that ride at night…..it’s a totally different experience than the day-time trip….because its darker and stuff….you know what I mean. Anyway, right after we were done…..Pal Mickey begged to go again. What the heck, it’s his party right… so off we went. He makes me nervous on that ride because.....when he puts his little hands in the air......I’m afraid he’s going to shoot right off into the night. I kind of wish we had brought his lanyard along just to make sure we didn’t lose him. I know, I know….sometimes I worry too much. I’m sure he’ll be fine.

We didn’t stay to the very end of the party because…well…it was a travel day and I was running on two hours of sleep…but the crowds were really light the whole night and we got to ride a bunch of stuff. We also got a prime spot for the parade…right up front so Pal Mickey could see. We didn’t get the cookies though…..I guess we kind of forgot all about them….we aren’t cookie folk apparently.

Next up: Chapter 7: Get on with it….what is this War and Peace.
Oct 1989 - WDW offsite - honeymoon * Dec 1991 - WDW offsite - went with friends * Nov 2001 - DL - kids first trip * Aug 2002 - DL - barely counts, only 1 day * Oct 2005 - WDW CBR - big resort, hurts my feet just thinking about it * Dec 2007 - WDW POFQ - first MVMCP * Dec 2009 - WDW POFQ * Nov 2012 - WDW POFQ * Oct 2013 - DL * Nov 2014 - WDW AKL

Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died - In memoriam: Pal Mickey
Trip report:The Day the Mickey Died II - Saving Mr. Panic Attack

Last edited by Peter Panic Attack; 08-25-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: