Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Kate's comments intrigued me so I thought I would link to some of the comments that have been made to the U.S. Justice Department about the rule they have under consideration. I thought two were helpful in explaining the different perspectives on Segways in amusement parks.

First, the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) has make extensive remarks about the use of Segways and the potential problems they pose. (I've seen enough to make me think that WDW is a member of this association but don't know for sure.) The full (55 page!) IAAPA comments (which goes into much more than Segways) is available here. You can skip to page 30 for their Segway position.

For a different perspective, I'll link to the page where the National Multiple Sclerosis Society filed its comments. They are shorter (only 19 pages) and the Segway discussion starts on page 8. The link doesn't go straight to the pdf - you need to click on the pdf symbol to read the comments. Here is a direct link to the pdf. Other comments concerning the Segway are at regulations.gov.
Thanks for that! I read the PDF for the NMSS, and found it interesting. Working with kids with special needs, I realise how important it is to be seen as 'normal', and Segways (in theory) take away that stigma. However at a Disney park EVC's are normal, where as a Segway would just draw attention to yourself, and from some of the comments made by people on these boards, not in a good way! Plus, although they do have the benefit of being able to stand and see, I am just not sure how easy they would be to stop at the same speed as an ECV. My parents did the tour round Epcot, and really enjoyed it, but said they only ever did nice, slow, gentle stops.

Still befuddles me why this lawsuit was ever really brought up. Segways are not common enough, or tested enough, to use in a crowded theme park. If they find some way of making them safe, and cost comparative to ECV's, then I will be all for them! I hope that Disney (who in general go above and beyond their requirements in disabled access) don't get victimised in this!

wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: