Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #46
My2Angels
Mickey Moms Club member

I love this thread!

Keep the tips coming!

Dream 2014, YC CL 2013, Dream 2012, Poly 2012, BWI 2012, POR 2012, BC 2011, Poly 2010, POR 2010, Swan 2009, POR 2009, POR 2008, AsSP 2007, CR 2007
My2Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #47
GreatWideSomewhere
Mouseketeer

Honestly, this may sound like common sense, but if you are polite and pleasant, we can do so much for you. Of course this works the opposite way as well....
GreatWideSomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #48
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWideSomewhere View Post
Honestly, this may sound like common sense, but if you are polite and pleasant, we can do so much for you. Of course this works the opposite way as well....
Haha!! I bet! You probably get some real doozies!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #49
DaveStroem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have to agree with this in spades. I also found that if you talk to the CMs like they are peers and not employees they often have things that they can do just because your not being like the typical guest.

During our March trip, I was given pins, TT VIP pass etc... I also had a CM offer us to join a dessert party at WS for Illuminations but we had other plans.

Top 10 Tips for Disney Noobies
RideMax Users Thread
DaveStroem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #50
Arielx2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant View Post
If you think that response was rude, I suggest thicker skin. The responder stated a simple fact.
If the CM doesn't want to be known they don't have to reply or identify themselves. The thread isn't mandatory.
Arielx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #51
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Amen to that...in every walk of life! When I'm on vacation, even at Disney, I am in relaxation mode. I don't really have the energy to be a jerk and can, in fact, be overly generous. Something about that Disney magic just takes over when we pass under that sign.

TotalSnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #52
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Ok, I have one... If staying over New Years you can watch the rehearsal of the Magic Kingdom's New Years' night fireworks two day in advance. I prefer to watch from the Polynesian Beach. Check with management to be sure it is two days in advance when you go.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #53
PatriciaH
I want to be an Imagineer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
Ok, I have one... If staying over New Years you can watch the rehearsal of the Magic Kingdom's New Years' night fireworks two day in advance. I prefer to watch from the Polynesian Beach. Check with management to be sure it is two days in advance when you go.
For the 4th of July it is the 3rd and for New Years it is the 30th. At least it has been for the 5 years we have lived here
78 Off Site, 89 Off Site, 93 Caribbean Beach, 94 Wilderness Lodge, 94 Caribbean Beach, 96 Dixie Landings, 99 Port Orleans, 00 Disneyland Hotel, 01 Coronado Springs, 02 Coronado Springs, 02 Port Orleans FQ, 03 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 03 Marriott DT Disney/Wilderness Lodge, 04 Animal Kingdom Lodge/Disney Wonder, October 04 Living in Celebration and loving it! 05 Paradise Pier/Grand Californian, 07 Disney Wonder, 07 Grand Floridian, 08 Yacht Club, 08 Adventures By Disney Viva Italia/Knights and Lights/DL Paris, 09 Grand Floridian, 09 Candy Cane Inn/1st D23 Expo, 09 Polynesian, 10 Summer Nightastic, 10 F&W's 15th, 11 Candy Cane Inn/DL/DCA, 11 D23 Scavenger Hunt, 11 Wilderness Lodge/F&W/MNSS/HHN/MVMCP/15th Anniversary Trip, 11 Xmas Trip, 12 WD Family Museum/DL Hotel, 12 F&G, 12 Sept Trip, 12 Wilderness Cabins/F&W/HHN/Fall Trip, 13 January WDW Trip, 13 Paradise Pier/DL/DCA/Cars Land, 13 Sea World/Universal/WDW, 13 Disney Dream/F&W, 14 HHN/F&W
224+ out of 224:
PatriciaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #54
ticktock
I'm more of a Georgian girl myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall08CP View Post
From a resort CM:

You're more likely to get an upgrade if you don't ask.

You win more flies with honey than vinegar... have a positive attitude and you will have a much better time.

Make sure your expectations are reasonable. Not everybody can get a theme park/fireworks view.. it's just not logistically possible!
I don't know about this. We were always that family that got the room over the dumpsters. AKL, WL,CR every resort we stayed at we got the worst room possible, the one next to the service elevator, or the janitor's closet etc. Even at the Poly we always got the room with the parking lot view. Sigh.

Finally a guy DH works with told him he had asked for an upgrade when staying at standard view garden wing CR and he was given MK view concierge! I knew DH was going to be cranky if we ended up with the dumpster view again so I asked for an upgrade at check in and the CM gave us a beautiful water view. It wasn't concierge but what the heck it beat the dumpsters.

If your room is going to make or break your vacation pay for what you want. If your cheap like me (yeah the Poly's really cheap, hah!) politely ask for what you want and consider it a bonus if you get it. Personally I like the building next to the parking lot at the Poly , I've just learned to request to be on the side away from the parking lot. Since nobody requests that building I always get what I ask for.
ticktock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #55
MinnieVanMom
DIS Veteran

Not a CM but go to WDW way too often. I agree that you have to take the time to look before you leap. Watch where the people are going and go to the opposite. Look at the security line, the turnstile line, the CS line and find the opening. There is an entrance to every park for CM's and also for the guests to enter. All the way left at Epcot. It usually doesn't have a line at all.

Finally, be polite. Even when people are being rude just smile. You can only control your reaction, not what others do. When people push by our little guy I just smile and say excuse us, you must be in a huge hurry? They are flying by anyways so I only hear it. Try to do something nice for someone else. We find we have CS left at the end of the trip and buy a CS for the person behind us.

Epcot does a soft opening of F&W the day before it is published to open. Go then!

It is never perfect but close, it is great to be in Disney
MinnieVanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #56
Shannon84
DIS Veteran

As a former attractions CM, one of my best tips is to actually follow the rules when CMs say "keep your hands and arms in the attraction, don't stand up, etc" Because we are trained to stop the ride when people do this and don't listen...it makes it a much more enjoyable ride when we don't have to do this and interrupt the natural flow of the attraction.

Also I know it stinks that you can't take your stroller into certain areas, but there are always reasons for it...so don't fight us on that unless of course you have some necessity (medical, etc.) and you have gotten your tags and such for your stroller from guest services.

Oh and I can never eat a whole counter service meal by myself, so we usually split one at lunch or I get the kids meal to save a little $!!
Shannon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #57
enchantingodin
You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself.

I'm a FLR and have been to WDW at least twice a year (usually more) since birth. I'd guess around 100 times. There have been some great tips so far. But lets talk about my favorite subject. FOOD!

Bring those flavor packs for water with you. Poweraid, crystal light, kool-aid, and gatorade all make them. Take a fresh bottle of water with you everyday and drink at least 3 normal sized bottles per day. As in stay hydrated. I've seen at least a dozen people collapse from heat in WDW over the years. Usually on the backside of WS in Epcot - btw. This saves you money of buying drinks, and is better for your body than downing soda all day.

Eat breakfast in your room. Something small like one of those oatmeal cookie things by Quaker. Or if you don't want to bring anything with you get something small from the CS place at your resort. Like a parfait or cinnamon roll, etc. Also if you happen to be at either MK or Epcot stop by one of the bakeries there for that breakfast for the next morning.

Have an early CS lunch. Like right when they open at around 11am. The food will be it's freshest then, and hardley anyone will be in there. I often buy kids meals for myself at CS places when on my own. Usually more than enough food for me. And it's 4.50 instead of 8-15 bucks. Plus they often have healthier options, but in recent years the Adult platter have gotten better. Or I share an adult size meal with others.

I always get my ADRs for TS meals at around 3 or 4. This does a few things, it's an "off time" for the restaurant. So you will have less of a wait time once there and will most likely get your ADR when you call. Plus this is the HOTTEST and BUSIEST time of the day in the parks. You'll be sitting pretty in a nice ACed TS restaurant.

Then at the end of the night grab a spot for the fireworks (or whatever) and have someone else go grab a snack for everyone. Waiting 30 minutes for illuminations with a chocolate crepe and a GM slush does make it a whole lot easier.

Last edited by enchantingodin; 04-06-2009 at 06:03 PM.
enchantingodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #58
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

BUMP
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #59
matt&jakesmom
DIS Veteran

We go every year and yet the more I read the boards, the more I learn. Thanks!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #60
W21981Brick
Mouseketeer

Love this info...
W21981Brick is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: