DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Star Wars mom
Earning My Ears and my Lightsaber

Question activities for kids at the resorts?

My husband and I bought DVC in December without ever having stayed on property at WDW EVER before. (We've done lots of trips to Disney while staying with family in Clermont.) Now we are planning our first trip "home" to WDW in May. We'll be there for Star Wars weekend at the Studios. For the rest of our stay we'd like to just do some pool hopping and enjoy activities offered at the various resorts. We're doing our first five nights at SSR (developer points) followed by one night at home at Kidani. I have no idea where to get info on activities at the resorts. Anything you've done that you've found particularly enjoyable? We have two sons, ages 3 and 7, if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Star Wars mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
logan115
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars mom View Post
My husband and I bought DVC in December without ever having stayed on property at WDW EVER before. (We've done lots of trips to Disney while staying with family in Clermont.) Now we are planning our first trip "home" to WDW in May. We'll be there for Star Wars weekend at the Studios. For the rest of our stay we'd like to just do some pool hopping and enjoy activities offered at the various resorts. We're doing our first five nights at SSR (developer points) followed by one night at home at Kidani. I have no idea where to get info on activities at the resorts. Anything you've done that you've found particularly enjoyable? We have two sons, ages 3 and 7, if that helps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We were at SSR last year and our DS (was 4 at the time) loved the movie night at the Springs pool - think it was a Wednesday night but not sure. Not sure if they always do this, but definitely check into this and see if they're doing it while you're there. They bring a portable movie screen poolside and put on a movie (Robin Hood when we were there) and him and I sat in the pool and watched a good chunk of it. He still talks about how cool it was to watch a movie in the pool.

The boat ride to DTD was also up there on his list, he thought it was pretty cool seeing the Lego sea serpent from the boat.

You really can't go wrong no matter where you are or what you do !

Good luck,

Chris
logan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
ChelleinNC
Say "Hi" to Art the Greeter for me!

When you check in, you'll receive a weekly activity sheet at SSR it's called "Horsing Around Weekly Activities".

Every Sunday is the Homecoming Pool Party at High Rock Springs pool (music, games-prizes)

Last year movies at HRS pool were Monday, Wed & Fri evenings in June at 8:15 pm

Community Hall is open 9am-10pm daily and has ping pong, video games, coloring, tennis equipment/basketballs/shuffleboard equip to check out.

Other activities offered (just some, not typing all of them) different (but similar) daily 9:45am - 8pm
Wallets- join us to color a wallet.
Backpacks- Paint a backpack ($)
Treasure Chest- paint a wooden treasure chest ($)
Games with lifeguards - meet at HRS pool
Key to the World- creat a beaded card holder for your room key
Plaster Magnets - pick your favorite magnet to paint & glaze ($)
towel aninmals- learn to make a towel creation

and so on and so on....... Some activities have a small cost($), others are completely free

Next Trip-???? December 2012 Planning is half the fun! That's why I do it for a living
SSR June 2010, Sweet 16 @ HHI Nov 09,July 09-BCV & DCL,Nov/Dec 08-OKW,Oct O8-HHI June 08-SSR, Dec 07- BWV, June, 07- SSR, Aug, 06- Beach Club, April 04-HHI, Oct 03- Swan/Wilderness Lodge, Dec, 02- Beach Club/Poly, June, 02- Beach Club, Dec, 01- Beach Club,-- Time Warp (Day trips only) --, Oct, 1991- Disney Cruise (Big Red Boat)/Polynesian [Honeymoon!], Summer 1990- MKCP!, 1987- Off Site, 1983- Off Site
ChelleinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Lat year at AKV, my DD5 made a tshirt- she decorated it with stamps and her name- then another day my DH took her down to make a scrapbook. Both were cute activities- both cost $$. But something to do on a resort day besides get in the pool. I scrapbooked the pics- but here is the scrapbook page- with DD making her tshirt. She wears it all of the time.

Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Star Wars mom
Earning My Ears and my Lightsaber

These are great!

Thanks for all the great info! I'm just wondering, are there things we can take advantage of at other resorts (besides the one we're staying at)? Maybe we could coordinate a visit to another resort's pool or restaurant with a special kids activity they had that day. Is there a centralized place to find out all this information? Please keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!
Star Wars mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
backyardponder
DIS Veteran

When you check in, you will receive a small booklet called "Portable Perks" which includes the Pool Hopping Information. Basically, as long as the pool isn't at capacity, DVC members staying at a DVC resort on points can use all other DVC and WDW pools except for Stormalong Bay at BCV and the pools at AKV.

I don't think they post current activities on line, unfortunately.
backyardponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
ScottJayhawk
Mouseketeer

Characters in the Lobby! I don't know if this happens at all properties (value resorts, mid-range, etc...) or just at the DVC Resorts but one of the best times of our last trip was Lilo and Stitch in the lobby of the Beach Club. At the time we knew nothing about it, no times, not on the schedule we just got lucky a few times and it was awesome! On 2 different occasions we basically got 2 great characters to ourselves! For a while it was just my 2 kids playing games (throwing a ball, hulahoop, playing ring toss) with Lilo and Stitch. It was priceless. The "busy" time was maybe 4 or 5 kids total so plenty of attention for everyone. Both times were pretty long stretches 20-30 minutes. Some of our best photos and videos are from these moments.

Since then, in planning for our next trip I've found some scheduled times (on the official Disney website for the resort I believe) for character appearances in the Lobby of AKV - we can't wait!

Disney Diplomas - Show Your Love for Disney
  • June 2013 - Vero Beach for a night then 4 Nights on the Dream followed by 4 Nights at Wilderness Lodge Villas
  • May/June 2014 - 7 Days at WDW then 7 Nights on the Fantasy! Too much? Nope - no such thing!
  • March 2013 - Great deal on last minute Disney Magic cruise out of Galveston for Spring Break - what's a 12 hour drive (each way) among family
  • Sept 2012 - First trip to Universal followed by 1st Disney Cruise - 4 Night Bahama on the Dream!
  • September 2011 - Old Key West for the 1st Time! 10 days!
  • December 2010 - Loved Disneyland at the Grand Californian Villas
  • October 2009 WDW (AKV - Jambo) - Disney just keeps getting better!
  • September 2007 WDW (BCV) - Another amazing trip! This time with 2 kids!
  • September 2004 - New DVC Owner
  • September 2004 WDW (Offsite) - Ivan stayed away, so did most everybody else. We got very spoiled having the parks to ourselves.
ScottJayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activities, kids

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: