Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

Exclamation Official Cake Chatter Thread

Welcome to the home of the
Official Cake Chatter Thread

There have been many requests for a cake thread that is more of a gallery and shows photos and cake info only, without any chatter about cakes. Well we want everyone to have that, but what good is food if you can't talk about it too?

So everyone gets their ideal cake experience we've created this chatter thread especially for talking about cakes. Have a headache ordering one? This is the place to vent. Was your cake experience the pixie dust filled adventure that you expected, this is the place to share!

This is ALSO the place to originally post those cake photos. The moderators will move them to the THIS CAKE GALLERY shortly after you post. When you post a picture, please also include:

When posting photos on the chatter thread please include:

Price
Date Received
Cake info - Flavors, special requests, etc
Anything else special about that particular cake

(To those viewing the gallery - Please remember that cakes ordered a long time ago may no longer be relevant, or available, but are still pretty to look at)

Can't wait to see and talk about all of the new cakes!

New "Cake Hotline" for ordering special occassion cakes!
There is a "Cake Hotline" for Guests requesting celebratory cakes at most Table Service dining locations. The Cake Hotline number is 407-827-2253 and requires 48 hours notice.

MILK FREE INFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolleymom
I just called the MK bakery and was told that they can make milk free cakes! She thinks that they can put a design on it also. I asked for an Ariel design. This is the first time that I will not have to make my own birthday cake!

fax: 407-824-5530
voicemail: 407-824-7091

Original Cake Thread
Cake thread Part II

Official Cake Gallery

Last edited by Tricia1972; 11-03-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

6-inch Anniversary Cake

Here are pictures of the anniversary cake I ordered for our IllumiNations Dessert Party last month.

It was made by the Grand Floridian Bakery and transported to Epcot for the party ($75 fee). I ordered it through our event planner, who worked with a pastry chef at the GF Bakery. (Anyone staying on-property can arrange a private event by calling Disney's Catering & Convention Services at 407-828-3200.) However, I could also have ordered it to be served at one of the restaurants at the Grand Floridian by calling the Cake Hotline listed in the first post in this thread.

It was a 6-inch replica of the cake we had at our Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding, with a few changes, so I'll show you the inspiration picture and the result.

Inspiration Picture - Wedding Cake

Anniversary Cake

Price: It would have been $55, but I requested the gold fondant cake topper and S-shaped "handles" inspired by the original, which bumped the price up to $110.

Date Received: 2/4/09

Cake info: Chocolate cake with chocolate peanut butter cup mousse filling and chocolate buttercream frosting under the fondant. Apparently the GF Bakery prefers to use white frosting under the fondant because the chocolate color may show through the slightly translucent fondant. However, I saw a pink fondant-covered cake with chocolate frosting on the old Anniversary/Birthday Cake Thread and it looked great, so I asked for chocolate. Our cake looked amazing!

Here are some daylight pictures from the morning after to give you a better idea:

I have to say, I had been pretty disappointed with the colors of our wedding cake, so I was ecstatic to see the anniversary cake exactly as I envisioned it - and exactly the right shade of hot pink! And the attention to detail was amazing.

As for the taste, it was OK. The cake was not terribly moist, and it's taken me two Disney cakes to realize I'm just not a fan of the mousse they use - I'd much rather have frosting in between the layers. So next time I'll see if they can do that!

Last edited by Pumbaa_; 03-19-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: moved to cake pic thread 03/12
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
dvc at last !
DVC Member 2006!

Your cake was beautiful. I am looking forward to this thread.
We will be celebrating at WDW in October. This will give me many ideas.
Thanks.

'12-AKL~ '12-OKW~'13-OKW~'13-BCV~'14-OKW~
Old 03-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
woodleygrrl
As god as my witness, I will never ever be swindled by these thieves at Disney bakeries again.

I just wanted to say thank you for putting this together. This is so much more user friendly than the other 2 threads.

My question is, so do you no longer call the bakeries directly? I see that there is only a cake hotline number listed above. I am having a birthday dinner for my dad at the California Grill in May. Should I call the restuarant directly or call the cake hotline?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
Tricia1972
I love late night snacks
Libra who loves peace and harmony

DISboards Moderator

You call the cake hotline directly for all cake orders.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for taking the time to set up two separate threads! This should make the conversation much easier to follow and the inspiration pics easier to find!

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 03-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for setting this up!!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
dbprimeaux
DIS Veteran

Thanks a million!!!

I am looking for pictures of birthday cakes served at Chef Mickey's.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

We have had several "celebration" cakes at Disney over the years. I want to make this year's cake very special. After trying cakes at the Boardwalk, AKL, and the Grand, we are going to go with the Grand again. This is for a combination celebration of my daughter's 19th birthday and her high school graduation. Our trip actually falls right in between the two events. So, would anyone like to make some suggestions for something really special for this cake? Our meal that night will either be at Narcoosee's or Citricos.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait

Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

Are the old cake photos ever going to be transferred to the new cake photo thread? I hope so. There are SO many awesome cake photos there.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
ugadog99

Me too because I really wanted to get some ideas.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #13
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

How far back do you think you can go & still have helpful cakes photos? The Disney cake scene has evolved over the last few years, & not necessarily in a good way. Yes, there's still some beautiful cakes, Y&BC in particular. Some people still get great cakes from GF bakery, Boardwalk bakery & park restaurants. Unfortunately, those seem to be the exception rather than the rule as of late. When the cake thread 1st started, all the cakes were fabulous. It seems to me that going back that far sets people up for possible disappointment. I'd rather see pics of a cake I may actually get. Then again, maybe I'm just getting cynical, after the Easy Bake Ovenish cake we got by calling the Epcot cake line last month. Just a thought!
(")_(")

Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

This is DD's birthday cake from our trip in 8/07

Date: 8/22/07
Cost: $40 + tax & gratuity
Flavors: Yellow cake, strawberries in custard filling, white buttercream frosting
Decorations: Just asked for something for a little girl who likes purple

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Old 03-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #15
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
How far back do you think you can go & still have helpful cakes photos? The Disney cake scene has evolved over the last few years, & not necessarily in a good way. Yes, there's still some beautiful cakes, Y&BC in particular. Some people still get great cakes from GF bakery, Boardwalk bakery & park restaurants. Unfortunately, those seem to be the exception rather than the rule as of late. When the cake thread 1st started, all the cakes were fabulous. It seems to me that going back that far sets people up for possible disappointment. I'd rather see pics of a cake I may actually get. Then again, maybe I'm just getting cynical, after the Easy Bake Ovenish cake we got by calling the Epcot cake line last month. Just a thought!
I have to agree-somewhat-with the questions here. I know that in an ideal world, I'd like the Cinderella castle topper on a teeny tiny cake (is that a cupcake), but I don't know if that is possible now, just a bite to share with DH.

On the other hand, if we have pictures that we can email to the Cake Hotline, at least they'd be able to say YAY or NAY to us.

Maybe some of the cakes that have been served since the 'Celebrations' theme has been in existence would be a good place to start?

Colleen, I love that name, although my Shannah is being her usual 17 year old annoying (but endearing ) self at the moment.

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: