Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #76
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
I just now got my email.
I still don't have an email- although when I go on the countdown page, it says my email was "successfully submitted" !

wdwscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #77
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Maybe folks should see the original club that Walt himself started...that would be Club 33.

Disneyland's Club 33

$10,450 to join plus $3,275 per year after that. This allows you admission to the park and dining in the restaurant...and a few other small perks. It has a waiting list of several years.

Again, this is something created by Walt himself when Disneyland was built.
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

Last edited by black562; 03-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.
black562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #78
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post
Maybe folks should see the original club that Walt himself started...that would be Club 33.

Disneyland's Club 33

$10,450 to join plus $3,275 per year after that. This allows you admission to the park and dining in the restaurant...and a few other small perks. It has a waiting list of several years.

Again, this is something created by Walt himself when Disneyland was built.
And... this is not exactly comparing the same thing.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #79
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post

They hype for all of this came from EVERYONE who speculated what it was about. All Disney did was say "are you 23?" nothing more. So you are disappointed. Big deal. You don't want to go back. Big deal. Someone else will go in your place. I have had horrible experiences at WDW... got them taken care of. It isn't going to ruin my magic and love of WDW. GET OVER IT! Not everything on that site is $800... AND NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY IN!!!!

Go ahead... rant and whine all you want. We are not entitled to anything. This is a membership... its OPTIONAL! I have no sympathy when it comes to people who think they are entitled to things for free. I deal with that constantly with one of my sisters, who always has her hand out.
Oh c'mon...really??? All Disney did was ask "Are you 23?". IT WAS A VIRAL MARKETING CAMPAIGN AND SUCH CAMPAIGNS ENCOURAGE SPECULATION. Do you really think Disney posted that without fully expecting people would be talking and speculating about it? Give me a break.

And as for the nonsense about 'people with their hand out looking for something for nothing', what's wrong with expecting a hospitality company the size of Disney to offer a loyalty program the way EVERY OTHER HOSPITALITY COMPANY does? Starwood, Hilton, Marriott, et.al - all offer perks and special offers to their most loyal customers. That SHOULD have been a part of this, and if Disney was really paying attention to what the fan community wanted, it would have been included.

What's wrong with wanting Disney to offer something that says "Thanks" to those who spend thousands upon thousands of dollars every year traveling to their theme parks? Had they included something like that in this program, it would have gone along way to showing not only an understanding of the needs of a large portion of the fan community, but also a real understanding of the current economic climate.

I respect your opinion, but don't appreciate you painting those who disagree with you as mooches looking for something for nothing.

Pete
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #80
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I think the biggest let down in this whole thing is the it proves that Disney has no idea who their most devoted fans are.

Their most devoted fans are on forums, listen to podcasts, read or write bolgs, and participate in communities like this one. They know all the deatails about what attraction opened when and all the trivia about the parks you can throw at them. They also know when they are getting shafted.

What is really sad is that everything that R U 23 should have been is out there: these boards, Mouse Fest, Celebrations Magazine. I find it sad on Disney's part that their customers are better at promoting their brand than they are.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #81
Wvugrrrl
Queen of Snarks

Quote:

Go ahead... rant and whine all you want. We are not entitled to anything. This is a membership... its OPTIONAL! I have no sympathy when it comes to people who think they are entitled to things for free. I deal with that constantly with one of my sisters, who always has her hand out.
I don't think I'm entitled to anything for free. But considering the thousands of dollars I've spent up front on buying into DVC, as well as yearly dues, and the thousands of dollars I've spent buying AP's and park tickets for years before that, the extra money I've thrown at park tours and extra hard-ticketed events, not to mention the thousands of dollars I've spent on pins, and what's promising to be thousands more on Vinylmation, I don't think that it's unreasonable to wish that Disney would RECOGNIZE that and "reward" me. And it's not like this complaint is new - Pete & Co have always been very vocal about the lack of support and incentives that Disney gives the people who spend the most - AP Holders, FL Residents, and DVC Members. And God help you if you're all three - sometimes it feels like you're actually paying MORE on these "values" rather than saving money.

It's not so much the idea of D23 that I disagree with personally, it's the wording of the whole thing - like I posted earlier, and others have said as well - I think it's a slap in the face of the true Disney Communities that have brought people together for years to suddenly be discounted as "Unofficial" Online Commmunities"; furthermore, I think it's a really shady way for Disney to cash in on people's emotions - are we suddenly lessor Disney fans because we refuse to pony up the cash for the "opportunity" to spend more, even if we have been faithful consumers and parishioners who tithe regularly to the Church of Disney?

Wvugrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #82
LeesyUD
DIS Veteran

What I want to know was whose brilliant idea was it to have the expo at DL instead of WDW? I know the fans for DL are crazy but isn't the WDW fan base much larger? Why not have an expo at each location. I am sorry but that is lame. I want to go to DL sometime but I am not going to fly all the way there for some Expo which is gonna end up being nothing more than a live infomercial for all the crap they are selling.

Also I have to say, why in the world when I want to pay the amount they are charging for "exclusive" Disney merchandise, when the quality of their merchandise is awful nowadays. My fiance was in Orlando on a business trip and bought me a cute set of Winter Hat and gloves which cost him like $45 for both. And they started falling apart the minute I got home.

It is bad enough that I have been a loyal fan to Disney for over 15 years now as well as a WDW CP Alumnus, and I get one "non transferable pin code" in all that time. And now they want ME to pay THEM money to have access to next to nothing?

If they think this is what their fan base wants, especially in the time of an economic crisis all I have to say is how stupid and naive.

---------------

'85-Ramada Inn||'90-Days Inn||'95-POR||'97-Holiday Inn||'99-ASM/AS Sport||
Fall '00-WDWCP||'04-CBR||'05-AKL||'06-POLY/POP||'09-DCL Disneymoon
||Sept. 2011 - AKL!!
LeesyUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #83
LudwigVB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVB View Post
My initial reaction was that Disney is trying to co-opt Mousefest with their "expo" and Celebrations/Orlando Attractions magazines with their new D23 magazine. Clearly, Disney has to be embarrassed by the wildly successful Epcot 25th anniversary event that it missed out on, so now it will sell an exclusive pen "inspired" by nothing Walt ever touched!
This is the first time I've ever quoted myself, but after reading more details about the creation of D23 I noticed something interesting. Supposedly, it began three years ago when Steven Clark wandered around an archives warehouse in Glendale. I think what he meant to say was when he wandered around Future World three years ago on October 1!
Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life. There must be so much that I should have said, but haven't. What I will say now is just what most of us are probably thinking every day. I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom.
Walt Disney, 1 March 1941

LudwigVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #84
Sha
°O°Believes in the Magic and Fairies! ~ Laughter is SUNSHINE you can hear! ~ "Dreams move on if you wait too long"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvugrrrl View Post
I don't think I'm entitled to anything for free. But considering the thousands of dollars I've spent up front on buying into DVC, as well as yearly dues, and the thousands of dollars I've spent buying AP's and park tickets for years before that, the extra money I've thrown at park tours and extra hard-ticketed events, not to mention the thousands of dollars I've spent on pins, and what's promising to be thousands more on Vinylmation, I don't think that it's unreasonable to wish that Disney would RECOGNIZE that and "reward" me. And it's not like this complaint is new - Pete & Co have always been very vocal about the lack of support and incentives that Disney gives the people who spend the most - AP Holders, FL Residents, and DVC Members. And God help you if you're all three - sometimes it feels like you're actually paying MORE on these "values" rather than saving money.

It's not so much the idea of D23 that I disagree with personally, it's the wording of the whole thing - like I posted earlier, and others have said as well - I think it's a slap in the face of the true Disney Communities that have brought people together for years to suddenly be discounted as "Unofficial" Online Commmunities"; furthermore, I think it's a really shady way for Disney to cash in on people's emotions - are we suddenly lessor Disney fans because we refuse to pony up the cash for the "opportunity" to spend more, even if we have been faithful consumers and parishioners who tithe regularly to the Church of Disney?
Well that is me and God helps me everyday! I am PROUD to be all three also. I do get my monies worth and feel that Disney rewards me. I guess I know how to work it to make me happy.

I know that not everyone will agree. I don't expect them too. That is one of the great things that makes us human.

Charleston RFTC 2 Kingdoms 1 Day 12/3/2009 Jenroc Lisa
I WEAR PINK FOR THE SURVIVORS, THE FIGHTERS AND THE TAKEN
  • °O° First trip WDW: 1972 ~ Celebrates Every Birthday at WDW ~ AP Holder ~ DVC Member: May '06 SSR, May '07 AKV, Jan '09 BLT
  • °O° Lives close enough to go often (for Pixie Dusting to stay young!) ~ Disney Magazine Spring '05 p 36 ~ Celebrations Magazine March/April & May/June 2009
  • °O° Stays around WDW: DL/POR, POFQ, BC, YC, GF, CB, BWV, OKW, BCV, SOG, SSR, VWL, POP, CR, Dolphin, AKV-JH, BLT, AKV-KV, ASMo, AKL-CL, CS, BC- CL, SSR-Treehouse
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #85
mandymommy4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post
Well what about us non-passholders who haven't been able to get anything. Can I get Tables in Wonderland...NO, can I get admission to special Passholder events, NO...how do you think that makes me feel. I frankly don't see how they screw their passholders as you put it, you guys get all the perks.

I love the idea of a Magic Kingdom Club or something else for those of us who frequently go to WDW, but not enough to justify an AP. I've felt left out for many years now.
Go check out the AP perks...... Then go look at the list of nights you cant go because of MNSSHP and MVMCP...... trust me when I say the "perks" are not that great....... especially compared to years ago! As a local discounts are blocked on the weekends and in the fall it is hard to come over in the evening because of the parties.

Quote:
I love my AP... I will continue to use AP.... I have already had my pass PAY for itself and ALL my trips until I renew it.

They hype for all of this came from EVERYONE who speculated what it was about. All Disney did was say "are you 23?" nothing more. So you are disappointed. Big deal. You don't want to go back. Big deal. Someone else will go in your place. I have had horrible experiences at WDW... got them taken care of. It isn't going to ruin my magic and love of WDW. GET OVER IT! Not everything on that site is $800... AND NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY IN!!!!

NO doubt my pass "pays" for itself........ I go almost every weekend and LOVE being a passholder and I love being in the parks with my children, BUT..... Living less than a hour from the parks i also have Universal and Seaworld to choose from.......... I have only been to Universal once and we had Seaworld passes once but due to a difficult pregnancy we were unable to use them more than once.

SO..... I am giving Universal my money this year, I have heard great things about the pass benefits. But based on Disney newest "scam" it made my decision a whole lot easier (And the cost was a whole lot less).

I don't think anyone that was hoping for a loyalty club is expecting a hand out. That is just insulting.
mandymommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #86
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

Hey!

I heard someone over here wanted some .

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #87
mandymommy4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCsince02 View Post
Hey!

I heard someone over here wanted some .

Step away from the keyboard and eat cake!
mandymommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #88
Stevegriswold

D23 Pen

I have a very nice pen that I was thinking about selling on ebay. But instead I would like to offer it here. All you need to do is join my club, Club D24.

Once you join my D24 club for $75 I will then offer you my pen for $800.

What Idiots
Stevegriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #89
BrierRoze
Earning My Ears

reactions at home

I was reading some of the posts to my husband over lunch and when I mentioned the $800 pen he exclaimed "What?! Does it let you write out 3 annual passes with it?!"

Now THAT would make it worth it in my opinion!

Bic-4-Life!! haha!
BrierRoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #90
guynwdm
It is a full time job just trying to keep up with all the posts.

Here's my thought....

In the frozen tundra of Iowa, where yes we have Barnes & Noble and Borders, I have learned that counting on them to have something is the last thing I should do. I would like the magazine and so the $75 to know that I am going to have it coming to me without running around town trying to figure out when it is arriving and who is getting it this time is worth it to me. I am not thinking of it as being anything more than a magazine subscription.... (and I will say it is very pricey magazine but then again you pay more than double for a diet coke in the parks as well) I would hope that they would have something more for their members in the future but guessing that they won't. I have the annual pass and have DVC as well so all I am considering it is a magazine rather than a discount card.

Does all the hype seem a bit lame? yep. Did it work for them? yep. (love it or hate it, it's created 6 pages of entries in a day.)

Number of days spent at WDW resort in 2010 = 22
Number of days spent at DL resort in 2010 = 7
Number of days spent at DL resort Paris in 2010 = 4
Number of days spent on DCL in 2010 = 12
guynwdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: