Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #61
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisSch View Post
Are the pins the same ones that were seen online?
I didn't see it online, although it does look like the Tinkerbell pin, only with Mickey as a drum major in the middle instead of Tinkerbell.
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #62
mandymommy4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by black562 View Post
Just to interject, I do have pens that cost way WAY more than that. However; unless these pens are made by a company like Mont Blanc or MontaGrappa, I don't quite understand it either. I've personally seen pens go for many thousands of dollars (gold, diamond encrusted, etc...), but these don't even say who makes them, I wonder if the merchandise will be on display at the parks to see?
I think its great that you collect expensive pens.......

The POINT is you click on the link and it takes you to a page that sells you a $75 member ship to a "fan club"...... on the HOME PAGE they are already pushing a $800+ pen, $20 shirt, and a $225 statue like figure.............

In these economics times Disney needs to be heloing their fans by offering a club that provides discounts NOT THE RIGHT TO SPEND MORE MONEY!

It IS insulting!

And I know what you are gonna post don't join..... dont worry I WONT!

My passses expire in a few weeks and my husband and i have been debating the 1300 we pay for passes a year and to be honest this has helped me decide to say good bye to Disney for the next 12 months......... they screw their pass holders way to much (especially the locals) and it is just one more insult!

I hope Disney is reading this!
mandymommy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #63
Mouse Skywalker
The Force is strong with this Podcast Correspondent

Hey maybe we should look at it like this. You get 4 magazines for $75. If they were $25 each, then you're getting 1 free... Yeah, there's the discount - buy 3 magazines at $25 each and you get 1 free. Oh, wait, they're selling the magazines for $16 at Barnes and Noble. Nevermind...

2010 WDW Half Marathon; Mickey's Halloween 5K; Wine&Dine Half Marathon
2009 WDW Half Marathon; Muddy Buddy Orlando 2008 Inaugural Exp Everest Chall
2007 Marine Corps Marathon 4:28:50 PR (Thanks again WISHers!)
2007 WL WDW Marathon 5:05.08 (Thank you WISH Racing Team!)
Mouse Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #64
Matt@WDWR
Mouseketeer

I'm very underwhelmed by the new "You have the right to buy more of our stuff" D23 club. However, I will add that you can now redeem your Disney Movie Rewards points for either a D23 pin or a D23 necklace. You have to log into the Movie rewards site to do so though!

Matt@WDWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #65
black562
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymommy4 View Post

My passses expire in a few weeks and my husband and i have been debating the 1300 we pay for passes a year and to be honest this has helped me decide to say good bye to Disney for the next 12 months......... they screw their pass holders way to much (especially the locals) and it is just one more insult!

I hope Disney is reading this!
Well what about us non-passholders who haven't been able to get anything. Can I get Tables in Wonderland...NO, can I get admission to special Passholder events, NO...how do you think that makes me feel. I frankly don't see how they screw their passholders as you put it, you guys get all the perks.

I love the idea of a Magic Kingdom Club or something else for those of us who frequently go to WDW, but not enough to justify an AP. I've felt left out for many years now.
| 1998 - Polynesian | 1999 - All Star Music | 2000 - Riverside | 2001 - All Star Music
2002 - All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music | 2003 - Riverside | 2005 - Pop Century
2006 - All Star Music, Riverside, All Star Sports, Pop Century
| 2007 - Pop Century | 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Dolphin, Pop Century | 2010 - Riverside | 2012 - All Star Music | 2013 - Coronado Springs
2014 - Coronado Springs

black562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #66
Matt@WDWR
Mouseketeer

Have you seen the price point on APs lately? Combined with no weekend discounts, random special events, and no "deals" like B4G3 free, AP holding isn't as lucrative as it used to be.

Matt@WDWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #67
NWOhioAngela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneedoll View Post
I'm just sick of it. I'm sick of Disney catering to thier wealthy fans and leaving everyone who can't afford (and wouldn't buy if I could afford) $800 pens and other such nonsense. Take the Haunted Mansions 40th Anniversary Event out here at Disneyland this year...too expensive at $400 and upwards and that's the same principal, charging for the priveledge of purchasing more merchandise. All the special events they do are like that. No thanks. Hey Disney, how about offering your fans something that has value, purpose, and a reasonable price tag to boot? And as someone posted earlier, yeah it is insulting to all the other fan communities that have been around for ages and know what Disney fans like.
WORD! I am one ticked off fan. I am about done with Disney. Sorry guys, enough is enough.
NWOhioAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #68
JustKryssi
Licks Turkey Legs

I too am underwhelmed. I hate that there are so many loyal people who go several times a year with no real incentive other than their love for the magic.

That should be rewarded IMO.
JustKryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #69
NWOhioAngela
DIS Veteran

So did anybody post comments on their site? I left them a scathing message. I encourage people to tell them what you think. Here's a link if ya need it:

http://d23.disney.go.com/contactus.html
NWOhioAngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #70
froggy5657
Trivia Master on the Wonder
Watch out for that "Candy"LaBeouf!

Location: Sitting on a Corn Flake, Waiting for the Van to Come
DISboards Moderator

It says that it is an official website for Disney Lovers

We have our own free D23 right here, the only thing that the DIS lacks is the official Disney website credit, but I don't want an official Disney website credit because then they will make sure that people only say nice non-money saving things.

froggy5657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #71
Sha
°O°Believes in the Magic and Fairies! ~ Laughter is SUNSHINE you can hear! ~ "Dreams move on if you wait too long"

I love my AP... I will continue to use AP.... I have already had my pass PAY for itself and ALL my trips until I renew it.

They hype for all of this came from EVERYONE who speculated what it was about. All Disney did was say "are you 23?" nothing more. So you are disappointed. Big deal. You don't want to go back. Big deal. Someone else will go in your place. I have had horrible experiences at WDW... got them taken care of. It isn't going to ruin my magic and love of WDW. GET OVER IT! Not everything on that site is $800... AND NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY IN!!!!

Go ahead... rant and whine all you want. We are not entitled to anything. This is a membership... its OPTIONAL! I have no sympathy when it comes to people who think they are entitled to things for free. I deal with that constantly with one of my sisters, who always has her hand out.

Charleston RFTC 2 Kingdoms 1 Day 12/3/2009 Jenroc Lisa
I WEAR PINK FOR THE SURVIVORS, THE FIGHTERS AND THE TAKEN
  • °O° First trip WDW: 1972 ~ Celebrates Every Birthday at WDW ~ AP Holder ~ DVC Member: May '06 SSR, May '07 AKV, Jan '09 BLT
  • °O° Lives close enough to go often (for Pixie Dusting to stay young!) ~ Disney Magazine Spring '05 p 36 ~ Celebrations Magazine March/April & May/June 2009
  • °O° Stays around WDW: DL/POR, POFQ, BC, YC, GF, CB, BWV, OKW, BCV, SOG, SSR, VWL, POP, CR, Dolphin, AKV-JH, BLT, AKV-KV, ASMo, AKL-CL, CS, BC- CL, SSR-Treehouse
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #72
saturday97
Illegally Blonde
My Dream Disney Resort would be a Castle Resort!

I posted this thought in another thread, but basically, the DIS is a fan community, D23 is a merchandise club.

This is a dated idea. They need to innovate. Did they really think this would "wow" the fans?

Sorta reminds of DCA..."You're doing what??" and now they are spending millions to correct the mistake.

Can they make D23 worthwhile for the fans?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #73
LudwigVB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy5657 View Post
It says that it is an official website for Disney Lovers

We have our own free D23 right here, the only thing that the DIS lacks is the official Disney website credit, but I don't want an official Disney website credit because then they will make sure that people only say nice non-money saving things.
My initial reaction was that Disney is trying to co-opt Mousefest with their "expo" and Celebrations/Orlando Attractions magazines with their new D23 magazine. Clearly, Disney has to be embarrassed by the wildly successful Epcot 25th anniversary event that it missed out on, so now it will sell an exclusive pen "inspired" by nothing Walt ever touched!

That said, this may be the venue through which Disney will offer truly exclusive gems like the Disney Treasures and Disney Legacy dvd series. But, without a clear mission except the "we've just scratched the surface," I'm with Kevin and will wait to see what they offer instead of signing up hoping for the best.
Once a man has tasted freedom he will never be content to be a slave. That is why I believe that this frightfulness we see everywhere today is only temporary. Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life. All men will want to be free and share our way of life. There must be so much that I should have said, but haven't. What I will say now is just what most of us are probably thinking every day. I thank God and America for the right to live and raise my family under the flag of tolerance, democracy and freedom.
Walt Disney, 1 March 1941

LudwigVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #74
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

I just now got my email.

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
cobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #75
disneygal1
Earning My Ears

For years I have considered myself a huge Disney fan. I don't visit the parks as often as some of you, but I try to keep myself fully informed through the internet (articles, podcasts, blogs, forums). I think the idea is good one but having to pay to be an official "Disney Fan" is quite saddening. $75 is 3/4 of my families weekly grocery bill. I can't tell my kids they can't eat for a week because Mommy wants to be recognized as a official fan of her favorite place ...ever.

I was really saddened by this. Hey Disney... not all your fans have deep pockets... what those of us lack in dollars...make up with LLLOOOVVVEEE for the Disney company and brand. I joined the Disney Mom's Club for free and got a box full of magnets, a mousepad, etc... Why can fans sign up for free and be considered an "official fan"? I don't need the magazine (I'd love it but don't really need it), but a simple paper certifcate or magnet would be nice!
disneygal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: