Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #886
dsquarednz
Mouseketeer
 
dsquarednz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandc619 View Post
I found several on Ebay and Amazon. I just did a search for "portable luggage scale" or "digital luggage scale." They seem to mostly be around $15-$20, and they fit in the palm of your hand. I think that's definitely worth it for me- I always cram as much as possible in my bags and never learn....
We went one step further and bought bags that weigh themselves! The main airline of the country we live in (New Zealand) is quite specific about baggage weight, as we learned when we moved here.

The brand is Ricardo, but I'm not sure if they still make the self-weighing bags.
__________________
dsquarednz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #887
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
No.

Everyone on every airline gets the automatic luggage handling on your arrival day.

Yes.

THIS is the only difference airline makes ... it only matters for the day you leave, NOT the day you arrive.

Arrival day is identical for everyone on every airline.
Wait, are you saying there is no way to check out and store the luggage somewhere if your flight is later in the day? We're flying SW and we don't leave until 6:45pm so we had planned to do some things in Disney that final day. We certainly cannot carry around all our luggage.
__________________
Carla

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #888
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 12,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney4us2002 View Post
Wait, are you saying there is no way to check out and store the luggage somewhere if your flight is later in the day? We're flying SW and we don't leave until 6:45pm so we had planned to do some things in Disney that final day. We certainly cannot carry around all our luggage.
You can store the luggage with bell services at your resort. With a 6:45 pm flight, your DME bus departure will be anywhere from 3:30 - 4pm. You need to arrive at Bell Services about 30 - 40 minutes before your bus departure time and can retrieve your luggage then and proceed to the DME bus area. You then check your luggage with SW when you arrive at the airport.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #889
pbthompson
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165

Okay, I have been reading and reading posts. I haven't seen this exact answer, so if it has been answered already please forgive me.

We are flying in on 8/16 on Southwest. So all we would have to do is go to the DME and jump on the bus. On the way back, we would have to bring our own bags from the bus to the baggage check in, correct?

I have been thinking about possibly flying in on 8/15 (problem is I can't stay at Disney because our free dining plan starts on 8/16), if we stay off site for the night and get our own bags then hit Universal or something on the 15th could we go back to the airport on the 16th and catch the DME to Disney? Can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport and Universal?

Thank you in advance.
pbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #890
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,006
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbthompson View Post
Okay, I have been reading and reading posts. I haven't seen this exact answer, so if it has been answered already please forgive me.

We are flying in on 8/16 on Southwest. So all we would have to do is go to the DME and jump on the bus. On the way back, we would have to bring our own bags from the bus to the baggage check in, correct?

I have been thinking about possibly flying in on 8/15 (problem is I can't stay at Disney because our free dining plan starts on 8/16), if we stay off site for the night and get our own bags then hit Universal or something on the 15th could we go back to the airport on the 16th and catch the DME to Disney? Can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport and Universal?

Thank you in advance.
Where are you staying at WDW? I would be very tempted to just stay that first night at Disney, in one of the value resorts. You can get a ride, via Mears, over to Universal or hire a car service to take you for about $70.
If you decide you really want to stay closer to Universal, I would check over on the Universal boards..they have some good ideas of the hotels that are close to Universal.
http://www.disboards.com/announcement.php?f=75&a=243
This link may have some hotels that interest you. But remember, you have to get from the airport to that hotel, then from that hotel to either MCO (to take DME to your resort) or directly to your resort.
If it were me, I think I would head right to WDW, stay there for that night and hire a towncar to get me to Universal and back.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #891
pbthompson
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165

We are staying at the Pop. Our travel agent said that if we go in on th 15th we will lose the free dining and I don't want to do that. My kids have never been to Universal so I thought they may like that. But the hassle free DME is tempting...
pbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #892
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,006
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbthompson View Post
We are staying at the Pop. Our travel agent said that if we go in on th 15th we will lose the free dining and I don't want to do that. My kids have never been to Universal so I thought they may like that. But the hassle free DME is tempting...
I know that many people stay at a resort for a night before their package starts and it doesn't impact the package. You should be able to book just that one night. OF course, it will mean making a move the next day. But, you're going to move anyway. But, you won't be in the same room, hence the move. I just think it makes more sense to do it that way. Then, you can take DME on your arrival day, the 15th, head to Universal if you wish via Mears, then the next day move your bags to your new room.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #893
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 12,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I know that many people stay at a resort for a night before their package starts and it doesn't impact the package. You should be able to book just that one night. OF course, it will mean making a move the next day. But, you're going to move anyway. But, you won't be in the same room, hence the move. I just think it makes more sense to do it that way. Then, you can take DME on your arrival day, the 15th, head to Universal if you wish via Mears, then the next day move your bags to your new room.
As said before, make a 1-night reservation at POP on the 15th totally separate. You might not even have to change rooms.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #894
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran
 
WizardLarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis,MO
Posts: 1,191

RAC and BAGS

Please bare with me. Southwest is not a participate in RAC, I know this! But, If you call BAGS and pay for your luggage fees then you don't have to drag you bags to the bus and to check-in ,Correct? OK then. if this is the case, what do I do about the fact that Sothwest does not have a baggage fee for the first two bags. Does BAGS send over Information or tags to RAC so that my bags can be gotten by ME the day of my flight so I don't worry about them. It is a little confusing.
The reason I ask is Southwest and America Airlines are the two airlines that offer nonstop flights from St. Louis,MO to MCO, AA has just one flight but SW has four. The AA flight home is 9:30am wich means doing luggage the evening before bedand getting up at 5:00 am to make sure I get the 6:30 bus to MCO. If I fly SW I can choose a later flight ,like 4:30pm and not worry about missing the bus, because I overslept.
So If any one can Help striaghten out my confusion, Thanks!
__________________

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922


WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #895
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,006
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardLarz View Post
Please bare with me. Southwest is not a participate in RAC, I know this! But, If you call BAGS and pay for your luggage fees then you don't have to drag you bags to the bus and to check-in ,Correct? OK then. if this is the case, what do I do about the fact that Sothwest does not have a baggage fee for the first two bags. Does BAGS send over Information or tags to RAC so that my bags can be gotten by ME the day of my flight so I don't worry about them. It is a little confusing.
The reason I ask is Southwest and America Airlines are the two airlines that offer nonstop flights from St. Louis,MO to MCO, AA has just one flight but SW has four. The AA flight home is 9:30am wich means doing luggage the evening before bedand getting up at 5:00 am to make sure I get the 6:30 bus to MCO. If I fly SW I can choose a later flight ,like 4:30pm and not worry about missing the bus, because I overslept.
So If any one can Help striaghten out my confusion, Thanks!
Okay, I'm confused as well. SW has nothing to do with RAC or baggage checkin at the resort. It doesn't matter what their baggage fees are, or aren't. If you fly SW, for your return home, you have to take your bags with you, to the DME bus back to the airport. The bags are stowed underneat the bus you are riding on. Then, you go to the checkin counter at MCO, for SW, and get rid of your checked bags.
Only those who are flying home on those 'participating' airlines get to check their bags at the resort. So..if you choose to fly home on that 4:30pm flight on SW, you will be told to be at the bus stop by 1:30, and in your case, bags in hand.
I'm not sure if I've answered your question though.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #896
incruzcontrol2
Mouseketeer
 
incruzcontrol2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 241

DME fr another resort

Hello.. I'm not sure if this is where I am suppose to ask but here it goes... We are staying at Pop Century Resort for our WDW vacation and are utilizing DME. However, on our last day after we check out, we would like to eat at the Ohana Character Breakfast at the Polynesian Resort. Do we have to go back to Pop Resort to use the DME or can we take it out of the Polynesian Resort since we will already be there? It seems just like a waste of another shuttle when we're already leaving that day. Thanks.
incruzcontrol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #897
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,006
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by incruzcontrol2 View Post
Hello.. I'm not sure if this is where I am suppose to ask but here it goes... We are staying at Pop Century Resort for our WDW vacation and are utilizing DME. However, on our last day after we check out, we would like to eat at the Ohana Character Breakfast at the Polynesian Resort. Do we have to go back to Pop Resort to use the DME or can we take it out of the Polynesian Resort since we will already be there? It seems just like a waste of another shuttle when we're already leaving that day. Thanks.
Yes, you have to go back to POP to pick up the DME bus. Your DME reservation is tied to your resort reservation. There may be a time, down the road, that Disney allows us to choose where we wish to depart from, but at the moment that is just not the case.
If you don't wish to have to leave the Polynesian and return to POP, you can always book a private car service to pick you up at the Polynesian and take you to the airport. It will cost about $60 or so, but will save you that time.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #898
incruzcontrol2
Mouseketeer
 
incruzcontrol2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 241

Thank you for answering that. We'll just cancel our breakfast and stay at Pop--I think it's just easier.
incruzcontrol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #899
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,006
DISboards Moderator

Good plan...it's much nicer than worrying about being late for the bus. Hang at the resort, eat, and maybe go for a last minute swim before heading to the airport. That's what we do.
__________________



goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #900
swimgirl1425
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10

so the airline doesn't even matter?
swimgirl1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Timeshare Store Current DVC Inventory - 8/12/05 pat@dvcstore Purchasing DVC 22 08-14-2005 09:53 AM
Best Price Hotel W/ Airline Tickets? aanthony03 Orlando Hotels and Attractions 11 07-26-2005 08:41 AM
Disney's Magical Express disney13 UK Trip Planning Forum 6 07-15-2005 02:20 PM
news from Disney......now they have all the angles covered chyam Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 60 12-29-2004 06:12 PM
New! Disney's Magical Express Regina Community Board 16 12-28-2004 07:40 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: