Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Notatourist
UO Veteran
The ONLY true way to FOTL
Known for her wordy responses

My experiences with SD's are at Science Fiction Conventions. Sadly I have no pictures...

Side Note to River's owners...I think I met you at Universal. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DOG! I'm one of the employees there and answered some questions you had about River and the Animal Show.
Notatourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #17
budmonster
"Just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." - Ella Fitzgerald

Hi everyone these picture are wonderful, I was wondering if its not to personal would you mind explaining how the service dogs work. My DD10 has seen them before and asked me why someone had one. I can explain to her about seeing eye dogs but not any other kind. I don't want to give her the wrong information or just make something up. I want her to understand that these dogs are there for a reason. I really appreciate the help.

TIA
Melissa
DTD Marriott 2003-Off Site May 2007-All Star Movie-Apr 2008 Pop Century-Apr 2009-All Star Music Nov 2009-Grand Floridian Dec 2009-Off Site Feb 2010-Pop Century Apr 2010-Pop Century Aug 2010- Pop Century November 2010-All Star Sports-2011 Lots and Lots of Day Trips
budmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Budmonster, there are many different kinds of SDs. Some alert to the onset of their human's medical condition, such as seizures or diabetic highs/lows. Some help a person with laundry, retrieving items off the floor or low places, or even helping the person get their wheelchair up an incline. Some guide blind/visually impaired people around obstacles, streets, stores, etc. Some alert to sounds for people who are deaf or hearing impaired. I just read a news article yesterday about a girl who just got a dog who sniffs out peanut traces (and keeps her away from them) because she is deathly allergic to even the tiniest traces of peanuts in soil, on people's hands, in a cabinet in the same room, etc.

My dog helps me walk by doing a series of mobility tasks, retrieves items I've dropped, retrieves items that are out of reach (when I'm in pain or need to reserve my energy so can't get up to get them), and several other helpful things that are associated with my particular disabilities. She loves her job!
Ms_Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
Nalla
Disney Pup

Some more of Nalla!

Nalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #20
Ms_Butterfly
DIS Veteran

Who knew Stitch was visually impaired and in need of a guide dog?!?! LOL!
Ms_Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
mechurchlady
DIS Veteran

Yo, Stitch, you have a great therapy dog. Congratulations on your new dog.

Hugs Nalla and thanks for the photos. Sweet dog you have and so kind of you letting Stitch have a dog to play with.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #22
syko
DIS Veteran

Nalla, where you in AK on wednesday?? I saw a dog like yours.

Last edited by syko; 02-20-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: wrong day!!!!
syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #23
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
Hi everyone these picture are wonderful, I was wondering if its not to personal would you mind explaining how the service dogs work. My DD10 has seen them before and asked me why someone had one. I can explain to her about seeing eye dogs but not any other kind. I don't want to give her the wrong information or just make something up. I want her to understand that these dogs are there for a reason. I really appreciate the help.

TIA
Melissa
We are in the process of training a SD for my youngest DD.
The basic answer is that each SD may do different things, based on what the person needs. My DD uses a wheelchair - power outside the house and manual (or push) wheelchair inside. She can't get out of her wheelchair by herself. She also can't talk, but does understand.
In my DD's case, here the things we are working on for the dog to do so far:
  • picking up things that DD drops
  • getting things for DD
  • pushing the button that opens a handicapped door (into a store for example)
  • getting help for DD if she is in her room and needs another person to come
As he learns those things, we will work with the trainer to think of other tasks the dog can do for DD and he will learn those too.
So, his job will be to help her do things that she can't do herself.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
lunapnp
DIS Veteran

We just found out this week that we will be traveling to Orlando in March to do our interview for DD's service dog. My DD is so excited! Looks like we may have to drop in on the mouse while we're there! We weren't planning on going to Disney until October, but I guess a long weekend would be okay, too!
Oct 07 Pop Century
Oct 08 Wilderness Lodge
Oct 09 Boardwalk Villas
Dec 09 Off site
May 10 Pop Century -- Adults only!!
Dec 12 Port Orleans Riverside
lunapnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #25
Shanka
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notatourist View Post
My experiences with SD's are at Science Fiction Conventions. Sadly I have no pictures...

Side Note to River's owners...I think I met you at Universal. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DOG! I'm one of the employees there and answered some questions you had about River and the Animal Show.
Ah, I betcha it was us! There were 3 adults and 5 kids in our group. (along with River as well) Did the dog you see have a purple vest on like the one in my picture? I haven't seen another dog with a vest like River's. Anyway, that is neat.

I am really enjoying these pictures! I am also excited about the new SD's that are being paired. I also wanted to mention, anyone who is interested in reading about the work I am doing with service dogs.. please take a peek at my blog.
http://hickorywoodhomeschool.blogspot.com/

Please keep the pictures coming!

Asia enjoying the dolphins at Sea World
Wish Trip Updates are on my Blog
http://hickorywoodhomeschool.blogspot.com/
Shanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
mom_2a_sept_princess
Mouseketeer

What a great thread!

I can't wait until we apply for a service dog for my Emma.

Amy

www.emmahopeworld.net
mom_2a_sept_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
Nalla
Disney Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko View Post
Nalla, where you in AK on wednesday?? I saw a dog like yours.
Indeed I was
Nalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #28
syko
DIS Veteran

I was trying to catch up to you to say but I got jumped on by a lady with a SD who was telling me that my SD was a fake, and started going on about the law etc. by the time she had finished you where out of sight.
Hopefully I will see you agin.

Last edited by syko; 02-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #29
mechurchlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko View Post
I was trying to catch up to you to say but I got jumped on by a lady with a SD will was telling me that SD was a fake, and started going on about the law etc. by the time she had finished you where out of sight.
Hopefully I will see you agin.
That is stereotyping and so not nice. Nalla's dog is different and special but does the same hard work as other service dogs. Sorry you two did not get to meet up. I would have read the lady the riot act then stormed off in a huff.

Love the pictures of Nalla's dog and remembers that service dogs not just employees but are dear friends whom sometimes are silly buffoons. Ohana means family and we always should include family in the fun.
mechurchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
syko
DIS Veteran

If I had not had a episode the night before (SD saved my life), then I would have given the lady as good as she gave me, but it always takes me a couple of days to get over them.
I'm sure I will run into Nalla again and get to say hi.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: