Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

My Stop and Shop is closing!!

Wow, I can't beleive it. I was just there Mon. but since the snowstorm is coming, I went to stock up on stuff for the week end and there in the window was a big sign saying they are closing Jan. 22.

I did hear one employee say "their sales figures were down". One girl told me she is going to another store, one doesnt know.

There is a super stop and shop by me, but its just too big, has self-checkout which I dont like, always has security around because of safety issues etc.

Also in the same little shopping center the K B toy store is going out of business too.

Anyone elses Stop and Shop closing??

THey were reducing alot of stuff, so I got some really good bargains in their clearance aisle.Still sad to see it go.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

I haven't been to mine since before Christmas so I'll have to check it out. I don't do my big grocery shopping there but its close so its good when I just need to run out and grab a few things. We have a Hannaford, A&P, and ShopRite and a few organic grocers close by too so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they closed with all the competition around. It seems that they are less busy now and their CS has always been awful.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
MOMTOMOOTOO
The people in Shop Rite would not recognize me if I were dressed to shop
Has many interests other than bacon worth tagging

My Pathmark closed up literally overnight It's scary times right now.
MOMTOMOOTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

Not to my knowledge, however, I haven't been in a Stop and Shop in a while now.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
justjudy
DIS Veteran

I sure hope our Stop and Shop isn't closing. It's one of those "Super" stores and I love it. I was just there yesterday, and didn't see any indications of closing, so I think we're OK. Our local Waldbaums closed recently, but it had been going downhill for quite some time so no one was surprised.

justjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
cinmell
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there LOVES U2 & COACH bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Wow, I can't beleive it. I was just there Mon. but since the snowstorm is coming, I went to stock up on stuff for the week end and there in the window was a big sign saying they are closing Jan. 22.

I did hear one employee say "their sales figures were down". One girl told me she is going to another store, one doesnt know.

There is a super stop and shop by me, but its just too big, has self-checkout which I dont like, always has security around because of safety issues etc.

Also in the same little shopping center the K B toy store is going out of business too.

Anyone elses Stop and Shop closing??

THey were reducing alot of stuff, so I got some really good bargains in their clearance aisle.Still sad to see it go.
Are you by any chance talking about the Stop & Shop in Braintree, MA? I had no idea Stop and Shop was going to close stores. I hope mine doesn't close!

~~My husband never thought anyone would read my post nevermind respond to it!~~
cinmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
The Mayor
How about 7"...6" is for rookies
It's the CB, it's not supposed to make sense

One near us did...Market Basket is going to rule in Masschusetts...news yesterday that some Shaw's were closing too.

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid".--John Wayne

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." -- John Wayne
The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Pooh's Pixie
The joy I get seeing those little red envelopes in the mail really speaks to how unexciting my life is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mayor View Post
One near us did...Market Basket is going to rule in Masschusetts...news yesterday that some Shaw's were closing too.
Except there really aren't any Market Baskets south of west of Boston...it's more of a North Shore thing...
I don't know of any Stop & Shops closing...wouldn't be shocking though. It's tough times, and people are shopping less frequently or using BJs, etc for big shopping.

SSR Owners
Mom of

Pooh's Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
DisneyKT
DIS Veteran

Wow, I haven't heard any closings in my neck of the woods. The one in my town is always super busy.
DisneyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmell View Post
Are you by any chance talking about the Stop & Shop in Braintree, MA? I had no idea Stop and Shop was going to close stores. I hope mine doesn't close!
Braintree is right around the corner from me, but I don't shop there...The ones in Hingham and Weymouth are closer for me. I haven't heard about Braintree closing yet. DD works at Stop and Shop (not Braintree) so I hope they aren't closing any more stores!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
kerrynic78
New mom to sweet baby Audrey!

I miss Stop and Shop and Big Y, none of those in FL
kerrynic78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Not that I know of.

The few that are near me are still open & taking in business.

I am shoreline CT (by the CT river). There are 4 with in about 20 min of me.
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #13
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

They should close , their prices are too darn high
love the store, hate the prices, I only use it in a pinch because there is one 5 min up the road.
but i normally do the bulk of my shopping at BJ's, Trader Joes, and Market Basket
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
kafitty
yep, that almost sent snot flying out of my nose

yikes! not a good sign!

The Stop & Shop in Whitman downgraded from a Super S&S, but that was awhile ago.

i haven't ever seen a Market Basket here on the south shore; i would LOVE to see a Whole Foods though!!

i can't believe Johnny's Foodmaster is still open. i wonder how much longer they're going to be able to hold on.

"I believe in naps."
kafitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafitty View Post
i would LOVE to see a Whole Foods though!!
are you near Hingham? there is an awesome whole foods there
at the Derby shopping ( i forget exactly what its called)
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: