Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #46
pmama
DIS Veteran

Wow, thanks for the great review on Kona. It really is one restaurant I have not read a lot about. I saw on another TR recently that you can get Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks. That might be a good way to try it w/ your CS credits if you're on the regular dining plan. The Big Kahuna looks great, DH would love it. I have been amazed at how well you function on little sleep. I probably would have been like your BFF and stayed in bed. Good for you for not letting it stop you.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #47
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love your updates! I've never had the Tonga toast either, but your photos of breakfast are making me very hungry! In two weeks, DH and I go for a short stay. I hope we do half as much as you guys did. I agree with the sleep part - I can never sleep there. Stay up late and then up again early. I actually like the early mornings the best. They are so quiet and such a fun time to explore!
Thanks for posting! How exciting about your trip. I can't wait to try WDW in December! Maybe next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
I read your other report and just loved it, and this one is great. Mom and daughter trips are great, but then so are BFF trips.

So I am not the only Canadian that does lots of on line shopping,
Thanks! And yes, I suspect we are not the only Canadians doing online shipping to hotels. For these short little trips it is ideal! I think I taught Andrea a few tricks on this Trip that have nothing whatsoever to do with touring WDW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Hi there!

All caught up! I'm another one who doesn't see giving in to the temptation/hype of the Tonga Toast. It doesn't sound at all appetizing to me. Now the temptation of French bartenders pouring champagne... that's another story!! There are certainly some cute ones and the champagne isn't too bad either! Sounds like you had a great night at Epcot. The 2nd bonus ride on Soarin is awesome!!
Yeah - go with your initial instincts on the Tonga Toast! But seriously, try the Big Kahuna. You can't go wrong there!

I am waiting for your update on the French bartenders in your TR! I agree, ours were cute, but quite young! Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&3 View Post
What a great time . I really like the pics everything looks so good. I love the plates in France I love all their stuff in that store. The wine flight in there is one of my faves.
Yes, shopping in France can't be beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmama View Post
Wow, thanks for the great review on Kona. The Big Kahuna looks great, DH would love it.
It is definitely worth a trip to Kona for Breakfast! Highly recommend it!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #48
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

We love the "Circus" down the hall. I think you described it accurately. I don't intend to do the "circus" on adult trips but Kona is a definate must. I was kind of hoping someone else would get the Kona toast so I could try it without committing to it.

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground
Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #49
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

just found your report. A great read!!
looking forward to more.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #50
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Hey there, jumping over to check out your trip report. Great so far!! I think it's fabulous that you got to go without kiddos. What an entirely different trip that would be. I can't even imagine the cool dining places to eat, the shopping, the rides, the drinks -- all without kids.

I love the water view from the Poly. Your pictures are great. I totally forgot to take pictures of stuff like the hotel, rides. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family
Old 12-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #51
cdotla
Trish

A belated welcome to you both!

Sorry I kinda checked out of this report for the month of December. Life is now getting back to a somewhat normal pace! I will be back soon with another update...I hope to close this baby down before the New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredkid View Post
just found your report. A great read!!
looking forward to more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAJmom View Post
Hey there, jumping over to check out your trip report. Great so far!! I think it's fabulous that you got to go without kiddos. What an entirely different trip that would be. I can't even imagine the cool dining places to eat, the shopping, the rides, the drinks -- all without kids.

I love the water view from the Poly. Your pictures are great. I totally forgot to take pictures of stuff like the hotel, rides. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #52
cdotla
Trish

Day 3 - Part 2

By the time I made it back to the room after Breakfast at Kona, Andrea was just about all set to go.

We had a lot on the agenda today, including, oh I don't know, a little thing called a Race. The Inaugural Expedition Everest Challenge!!!

To be honest, at this point the Race wasn't even on the Radar. We had a lot of things to keep us busy today, including some non-Disney activities.

We got to the Parks by about Lunchtime. Epcot to be exact. We had a coveted reservation at Le Cellier. Nothing like a good steak a couple hours before starting an endurance challenge! Clearly not the best idea of a meal so close to the Race. However, it was the only time that we were able to obtain an ADR at Le Cellier and I wasn't about to give it up.

We were also meeting a close friend of mine who was also running the EEC with her husband. She & I and another friend of mine all ran the Minnie 5k together back in May 2008. It was the first WDW Race for each of us. Heck, it was my first race period! Anyway, I credit the Minnie with getting me interested in both running and in Disney races in particular. Unfortunately, to date my running experience has been limited to the Disney races themselves and a couple weeks of training before the Minnie. In fact, before the EEC challenge at the end of September, the last time I had laced up a pair of sneakers was on the day of the Minnie 5k in May. Oh well, who am I to let a pesky little detail like pre-race training get in the way of all my fun!

Participating in these races exposed me to a whole new experience at WDW, different from anything else I had done in over 20 trips to the World. The races were exciting, fun and inspiring. While I am still not running marathons, it was highly motivating both times to be a participant in such a professionally run athletic event with so many other people of all ages and abilities. It is definitely something I will be doing again and just one more thing to add to the list of things that keeps me coming back to WDW.

At the risk of venturing off too much into another Trip entirely, here are some pictures of my first ever WDW Race - the Minnie 5k in May 2008.

Here is a picture of me and my two friends (each of whom I talked into joining me for our first ever WDW race) at the starting corrals.

(FYI - that lime green shirt I am wearing is from the WISH team that is part of the Disboards!)

Minnie at the Official Start to the Race:

Ready...Set...Go!

And they're off!

My kiddos watching for me near the Minnie 5k finish line:

(My Dad snapped that one. I still think it is so cute!)

Us at the Finish:

And our Medals:

The Minnie 5k will always be a special memory for me, as it was my first ever Race. And I was so happy that my friend Erin (who was right with me every step of the way for the Minnie) was also there to join me at the EEC.

OK - now back to the Trip at Hand!

After wrapping up our non-Disney agenda for the Trip, we met up with Erin at Le Cellier for Lunch. Although we chat constantly, it was the first time I had seen Erin since the Minnie.

In addition to the great company, we also enjoyed a fabulous lunch (as always) at Le Cellier. My tablemates followed my lead and had what I always order on each visit.

For starters, Canadian Cheddar & Bacon Soup and Breadsticks:

(As well as some tropical alcoholic beveridge, whose name escapes me. See, I am obviously not the poster child for pre-race preparations!)

Then, the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon with risotto:

Please be forewarned - the photo does absolutely nothing for this dish. I would not have been turned on in the slightest by this photo before tasting this myself.

For starters, I am not a mushroom fan. However, due to all the great press about this dish I decided to throw caution to the wind and ordered it anyway. Well - let me just say that it was one of the best decisions from a menu I have ever made! This is the most tender, juicy piece of meat ever. It literally cuts like butter. And the flavour. Absolutely amazing. My mouth salvates just thinking of it. Put it this way: since experiencing this meal, I have changed potential vacation dates around ADR availability at Le Cellier. No joke.

After finishing at Le Cellier it was early afternoon and we still had a number of things to do. So we bid farewell to Erin and headed off to Wide World of Sports for packet pick-up for the Race, which was now mere hours away!

UP NEXT: Packet Pick-Up at Wide World of Sports
More Shopping
Ready, Set, Go! EEC!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #53
cdotla
Trish

Geesh! You guys are a tough crowd! Almost 100 reads since my last update but not one comment.

You are sure making me work for it! Obviously I was spoiled with the steady flow of comments on my 1st Mommy-Daughter TR!

I think I've got 3 more posts til we're done...and I'll definitely have this thing to bed by 2009!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #54
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

thats so cool that you did those races, i am certainly not the athlete but i would like to wear the cool polka dot minnie #
Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #55
PrincessNewsie
DIS Veteran

hahahaha that's how i run, and i love that you boozed before. did it come out your pores later?

i swear i just caught the update now, i didn't read without commenting!!!!

finally, which wdw run would you reccommend to start off? for fun/easy?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #56
MEK
DIS Veteran

I can't see your pics at work, but you are definately inspiring me to run a race at Disney. I used to run races all the time, but I stopped and now I just run for fun and relaxation. Translated, that means I run really slowly.

BTW - I posted earlier that DH and I were going on a short Xmas trip. Well, we are back and had a great time. Only regret - trip was too short!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #57
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Geesh! You guys are a tough crowd! Almost 100 reads since my last update but not one comment.

You are sure making me work for it! Obviously I was spoiled with the steady flow of comments on my 1st Mommy-Daughter TR!

I think I've got 3 more posts til we're done...and I'll definitely have this thing to bed by 2009!
Sorry! Still here and excited to catch up. I think it's the time of year... tough to find time to DIS! Loving your TR and am heading back to catch up. Don't get discouraged!!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #58
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Caught up! to you for competing in the race. That's fantastic. It's something I *think* about and have definitely heard lots of great comments from participants in the various Disney races. I just don't quite know how to get into running. Exercise is not my friend.

LOVE that you imbibed (sp?) prior to the race. Yeah, probably not the typical pre-race routine but I bet you did great. I love Le Cellier too and wouldn't have given it up either. Also love the cheddar cheese soup and the pretzel bread. Yum-o!

BTW- I meant to tell you that I saw your same "perfume guy" when I was there in December and he was working hard to sell some perfume. He was "pushing" a certain kind of perfume for which there was an artist present who was hand painting the bottles. The scent wasn't for me. I was trying to remember what you had purchased but couldn't recall. I'll make a note for next time!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #59
passthepixiedust
DIS Veteran

I just found your tr and read the whole thing! Disney races, the Poly, Le Cellier, the F&W festival.... I am loving it! Can't wait to hear about the EEC as I hope to run it soon. It sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #60
Diamondintheruff
Thinks she saw a flash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Sorry! Still here and excited to catch up. I think it's the time of year... tough to find time to DIS! Loving your TR and am heading back to catch up. Don't get discouraged!!
Ditto!

2013 Jan Offsite, 2012 Aug POR, 2010 July CSR, 2009 Oct CSR MNSSHP Weekend Adult Getaway!2009 April AKL 40th B-Day Trip with Dh only! 2008 August POR,2007Aug ASMu Family Suite, 1997 Off-site,1996 Disneymoon@Disney Institute,92,91,87,85,84 Off-site,84-78 Fort Wilderness Campground

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: