Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
crazytp93
Letís Go Mets
Iím a Mets fan Yes, itís tough
Empire State of Mind

My Grandma

Hello everyone. I'm Tom, 15 years old.

On September 7, 2008 my grandma who was 89 passed.

I really still miss her. I think about her all the time and I just cant get her out of my head. She loved me so much. Its just really hard. How do you all cope?

I have her funeral prayer card taped to my headboard. I have a painting in my room that she painted when she was young.

But...

I just feel as if I was never really able to say "goodbye."
Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
mrs_hower726
Mouseketeer

I lost my grandma when I was 14 and I still think about her on a daily basis. The way I dealt with it at the time was to put a couple of my favorite pictures of her along with a couple of other items in a binder and when I really missed her, I pulled it out and thought of my favorite memories with her.

I know you really miss her, and sometimes you just got to take it one day at a time. Some days will be easier than others. One way to say goodbye to her is through prayer, she will be listening.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts during this difficult time.

Phillies 5k - 3/31/12: 36:00
Boots on the Run 5K - 4/25/12
Girls on the Run 5K -5/19/12

Last edited by mrs_hower726; 10-27-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added content
mrs_hower726 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
FutureMrsC
I'd really love to do some peeping in my house

You & your family are in my thoughts...I hope that it was peaceful and not painful for her. I lost my Grandmother (age 95) on 11/16 last year (my birthday)from alzheimers' and congestive heart failure. I know what you're going through... it's TOUGH. She was essentially my second Mom- I spent TONS of time with her- and according to everyone, even my grandfather, I was probably the most distressed by her passing (even though I knew it was going to happen soon).

Anyway, the only advice that I could give you that REALLY helped me grieve was to write her letters- it didn't matter what you did with them... mine are just in various pages of my journal... but anyway- write about how you feel now that she's gone- I've found it to be an excellent way to "say" things that you would probably hold back. I also employ another tool someone else suggested w/ keeping a notebook/picture album with lots of fun memories inside... the past year has been tough, and as my "birthday" (I'm not quite ready to celebrate my birthday on "that" date, but anyway... as it's getting quite close to becoming a full year, I'm doing better, but I expect that the "anniversary" (which I'll always have, being that it was my birthday), will kind of rip off whatever bandaid I've put on my "wound".

Anyway... again, I have you and your family in my thoughts.

The NewMrsC 5.21.06

FutureMrsC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

It is hard to get through the death of a loved one.. no matter who it is...and adding in the fact that you said you felt you did not say goodbye......I think the previous poster has something when she says put it in writing.....say those goodbyes there....it will take time to get over her death... it takes lots of time.. Hugs to you.

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
ScrapperBelle
Mouse Fan Since Birth

I'm so sorry. I was 15 when my grandma passed. Nov. 8th will be 24 years since then and I still miss her everyday.

I used to worry about forgetting her, and although I know there are lots of little things that I have forgotten, I still remember her vividly.

She and I were like best friends. We listened to the same music and when she stayed with us, she always slept with me. We were very close.

I also went through a period of grieving because I felt like I didn't say goodbye to her. Although she was ill, her passing was sudden and unexpected.

I have missed her at every milestone in my life since then. The pain will get better and you will learn to cope with her absence, but you will always remember and love her.

Just remember that as long as she is in your thoughts, then she is not truly gone.

ScrapperBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
crazytp93
Letís Go Mets
Iím a Mets fan Yes, itís tough
Empire State of Mind

Thanks so much everyone.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
*Valdez*
Mouseketeer

I know it is hard. You just have to keep her memory alive in your heart. I lost my grandma 6 years ago last month just days after my birthday. She had cancer so we were expecting it, but that didn't make it any easier. When I accomplish something I say it out loud like she is right there near me. I also agree about writing letters. And no matter what people say, it is okay to cry. That helps sometimes when words cannot express your emotions. It never gets easier and you will always miss her the same, but you will learn in time how to control your emotions when you talk about her. Pick a song that reminds you of her and everytime you miss her play that song. That helped me. Good luck my heart goes out to you and your family.

2002, 2003, 2006- DLR- Off site2004- WDW POFQ--Disneymoon 2005-WDW Off site2007- WDW Dolphin/ Pop 2008- WDW Dolphin 2008- SSR "First Trip Home"2009- WDW OKW Grand Gathering 2009 AKL/SSR 5 year Anniversary Trip 2010 Princess Royal Family 5K 2011 SSR/AKL 2012 WLV/DCL Dream- Celebrating 10 years of Disney together 2013 SSR Planning my Escape VR

*DVC Members since 2008 SSR*
*Valdez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
King Triton
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's hard. I was very close to my grandmother. When she died it was a huge loss and I miss her so very much. This is what helped me. 1) Her spirit is with you always. Her energy of love still surrounds you. 2) When someone close to us dies, it's not good bye but it's I'll see you soon instead. We'll see them in heaven very soon.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

My grandmother passed away three days after I graduated from high school very suddenly of a heart attack. I still think about my grandmother everyday (it's been 10 years since she passed). When I got engaged at WDW in September, I thought for a brief second that I had to call my Grammy to tell her, but then I remembered I couldn't. It does help to know that she does know in Heaven and she and my other set of grandparents will still be with my on my wedding day.

Take care of yourself.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

It is something that you never really get over, but it just gets easier to accept. I am going to be 52 on Sunday & my "Nanny" passed away suddenly when I was 16. I can remember it as if it were yesterday. Just this past October, my Mom (my Nanny's daughter) passed away. She was my children's "Nanny". This week has been a tuff week for us. We are having a hard time (me and my children, ages 22,20 & 16) dealing with not having her with us for the holidays. I can understand how you feel. Someday, you will understand what we here are all saying to you... right now, all you understand is your "Grandma" is gone and you miss her.. hugs from my family to you...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: