Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #46
mommaU4

The one who started it - DIS ladies do DLR
Well, I never said I wasn't insane. I just don't want them thinking that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygrl36 View Post
Yes beth we did do alot. It was a busy day but fun. We were busy this whole trip, maybe that is why I was so tired when we got home & now have a cold. ABD is great. I cannot recommend it highly enough. You could gamble a bit there in Vegas & maybe you will win big enough to splurge on a trip. We live close to Morristown Beth. Small world isn't it?
It is a small world! I'm sorry you are sick now. I hope you feel better soon.

Great update. Love those Mickey waffles. So cute.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #47
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

wow some realy cool things so far, do you have to be a DVC member to go on this or can anyone do this adventures by disney

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #48
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Mel,

I love the add-ons that your and your DH did before the ABD trip began. I actually got goosebumps reading when you went to see Walt's grave, creepy!

The theater looks amazing. What a wonderful purchase by Disney!

It looked like no one was in the Soda shop with you guys. Was it really that empty?

Keep up the great work! You are REALLY making me want to go now!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #49
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
The theater looks AMAZING! And how cool that you got to eat breakfast at the Soda Shop. Loving your report so far, keep it coming!
The theatre was amazing & really beautiful-it really did make you stop & think, what if they didn't save this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Ha! A Jimmey Kimmel Drive-By!

Nice work!
Yeah, we were really lucky to see him. He is pretty cute in person too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack2112 View Post
The night the Jonas Brothers were there was the day we had our tour of the studio. There was already a line outside the entrance to the outdoor stage.

And Uncle Frank is amazing. And funny. Did I mention how amazing he was?
I bet there was.....the guys that lead our tour told us it was NUTS & that some of the girls even fainted. Uncle Frank is hilarous. I am so glad we got to meet him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprincessbelle View Post
Great TR so far! (that rhymes!)

I love that you guys went to see Walt at the cemetary. What a beautiful gesture from you 2.

Adventure's by Disney looks so MUCH FUN! The whole thing and I love how they do little things for you guys like leave all those treats out! Wow! So exciting!!!!
Yes, the little extras that ABD gave us were really cool. ABD is AMAZING & we will be booking another one, I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaU4 View Post
It is a small world! I'm sorry you are sick now. I hope you feel better soon.

Great update. Love those Mickey waffles. So cute.
I know I love Mickey waffles too. We have a MM waffle iron, but don't seem to pull it out very often....we do always have them Christmas morning though so I get Mickey waffles soon. Thanks for the concern....I hate having a cold!!!!! I am trying to rest, drink plenty of fluids etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
wow some realy cool things so far, do you have to be a DVC member to go on this or can anyone do this adventures by disney
No Dan anyone can do Adventures by Disney. You should go check out the ABD portion of the Disney website. We did use DVC points to pay for one of us & cash for the other one so you can use DVC points to book the trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Mel,

I love the add-ons that your and your DH did before the ABD trip began. I actually got goosebumps reading when you went to see Walt's grave, creepy!

The theater looks amazing. What a wonderful purchase by Disney!

It looked like no one was in the Soda shop with you guys. Was it really that empty?

Keep up the great work! You are REALLY making me want to go now!
The pre-tour adventure was alot of fun.......I got goosebumps several times this trip. I am glad everyone enjoyed reading about it so much.
The Soda shop was empty that night. It was around 7 or so & they close early so we were really the last ones in there eating ice cream.....can you imagine anything at DTD being like that?
Glad you are enjoying & if you have never been to Disneyland, you must go.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #50
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

No update tonight.....I promise one tomorrow though. Between this darn cold & some Christmas mischief for DH that I have been doing today, I am just too pooped.

Check back tomorrow for adventures with a frog............
Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #51
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Looking forward to it!

I wish I had that Cinderella Waffle Maker.. that would be my new Xmas tradition, too! Maybe New Years.. LOL

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
travelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #52
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Wow! How did I miss all these updates? I just love reading your report - partly because I get to hear about all the events leading up to when we met at DCA, and partly because it makes me realize how dang glamorous my life in Los Angeles is! And I loooove the peppermint ice cream at the Disney Soda Fountain - my favorite thing to get there is a peppermint milkshake!

Quote:
We wandered around & explored the views. It was too early to get inside or see the Planetarium show.....so we will have to go back & do that some time. It really is a beautiful building & considering it was built in the 1920's it is very well preserved.
When you come back (cuz you have to come back!) definitely check out the inside. They just completed a 2 1/2- or 3-year renovation of the Observatory and dug out a huge space underneath that's filled with cool new exhibits!
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #53
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Looking forward to it!

I wish I had that Cinderella Waffle Maker.. that would be my new Xmas tradition, too! Maybe New Years.. LOL
More coming right up. I am such a sap for traditions!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Wow! How did I miss all these updates? I just love reading your report - partly because I get to hear about all the events leading up to when we met at DCA, and partly because it makes me realize how dang glamorous my life in Los Angeles is! And I loooove the peppermint ice cream at the Disney Soda Fountain - my favorite thing to get there is a peppermint milkshake!

When you come back (cuz you have to come back!) definitely check out the inside. They just completed a 2 1/2- or 3-year renovation of the Observatory and dug out a huge space underneath that's filled with cool new exhibits!
I am glad you are enjoying the report Carrie. It is very, very glamorous in LA. I must get back to explore more & maybe see some celebrities-besides Jimmy Kimmel, you & Patrick
That peppermint ice cream was to die for.....wish I could have them ship me some of it for Christmas dinner.......wouldn't that be a wonderful dessert to serve?
Yes, we do have to come back. I wasn't sure what Eric would think about CA & Disneyland, but he is soooo ready to go back too!!!! Maybe you & Patrick could be our tour guides next time & then we could really see how the locals do it LA style.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #54
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Day Three-Dec 10th 2008 A date with a Frog

So after leaving Jimmy Kimmel live, we headed towards Jim Henson studios via our very nice motor coach driven by the ever cheerful Don. He talked to us about old Hollywood some & played appropriate music like "Hooray for Hollywood".
We passed by some points of interest & I tried to get a few pictures through the windows of the bus.
That's the Chateau Marmont hotel where lots of stars have stayed & like to hang out. Lindsey Lohan even lives there. Why do you live in a hotel?

Kat Von D's tattoo parlor LA Ink as seen on the reality TV show which I have to confess I have watched a few too many times.

The Comedy Store where lots of famous comedians got their start.

The Whiskey A Go Go where Goldie Hawn got her start as a go go dancer.

Proof that we were on Sunset Blvd

We passed lots of other interesting things as well like the Scientology Center, the Viper Room & lots of building that used to be cool things like the Hollywood Athletic Club where Walt Disney was a member.
Before long we pulled up to Jim Henson's studios. Diana said they used to be able to see it from far away because of the huge Kermit statue dressed as Charlie Chaplin, but he is being refurbished.
It is a very charming set of buildings & I wouldn't have thought of it as a working studio, but it is a hopping & busy place. They were having some kind of casting there that day so there were all these extra people around carrying scripts.

P.S. I know someone who participates in Puppet Up now & it is now on my list of have to go see it sometime things.

We gathered in the courtyard & just kind of soaked up the area abit before they split us into groups Minnie & Daisy to go off & experience different things. We were in the Minnie group with Diana as our guide.
We went to watch a video in the little comissary building first which kind of showed us how Jim Henson started out & showed some cute & hilarious muppets clips all the way from the show Jim Henson started out with, Sam & Friends where Kermit the Frog was born, all the way up through the Muppet Movies & Labyrinth.
I think it only fitting here to pay a little tribute to the man who made the Muppets possible. Did you know that the Muppet show was filmed in London at first because the networks here didn't see it's potential?

I read some great things about Jim Henson before this trip in anticipation of getting to see the studio, but my favorite was about his memorial service where a group of puppeteers sang "Just One Person" in their character voices & started out one by one scattered throughout the audience until they all ended up on stage together. This was said to inspire the director of the comedy "Love Actually" to incorporate this idea in the wedding scene in that movie where various members of the congregation get up & sing/play instruments to seranade the happy couple. Now I will never be able to watch that scene without thinking about Jim Henson.

Next we went out & Diana showed us around the studios.
If you don't know, this studio has tons of history. It was built in 1918 by Charlie Chaplin & he used it up until the 1950's.

There are lots of cool touches left at the studios as a nod to his contributions. Red Skeleton also owned the studio for a time. A&M recording studio was here as well.

This is the vault where Charlie Chaplin kept films & his famous Little Tramp shoes.

A mold was taken of the original shoe/signature print which is in a museum somewhere now.

This unassuming building is what used to be A&M recording studios but is now the Jim Henson recording studios. It is booked & used by lots of people in the recording industry. Diana said they had seen Justin Timberlake here on one tour. There were a lot of people around that I am sure I should have recognized, but alas I did not spot any celebrities-at least human ones.

How did I get stuck up here?

This cutie was outside of the building where we went to watch another video.

This poster was in the small theatre where we watched the film. One of my favorite Muppet movies.

The movie was hilarious. It starred Bobby & Samson telling us all about the studios & their history.
I found this picture of Bobby (the pig) & Samson (the moose/bull????)....

Brian Henson actually puppeteered Samson for this film & it was made for ABD exclusively as they do not have tour groups in to the studios as it is usually closed to the public. I heard later from a very reliable source that the ABD dress rehearsal tour was there the day they were making the video & that the crew at Jim Henson's studios was so excited to have them there. It was a very funny video & at the end they get kicked out because Bobby goes nuts when he realizes all the famous people that have worked there. Too funny!!!!

We also were able to go into the soundstage since it wasn't currently being used.
Just a big empty box that can be made into anything.

Continued in the next post...........

Last edited by Disneygrl36; 12-29-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Disneygrl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #55
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Day Three-Dec 10th 2008- A date with a frog continued

We also went into the reception building where alot of the awards are kept that the studios has won.

I found a very familiar face there.

And a beautiful Christmas tree underneath which lay something very interesting.

Underneath the tree.

Something else cute.

Now after that we got the treat of all treats. We got to go to the creature shop where all the magic happens. We had to lock up our cameras at this point because there is top secret superduper new stuff in there.
We were met there by a puppeteer named Michael. There was lots of neat things to look at in there. The baby from Dinosaur was there-you know "Not the Mama", a dog from Snow Dogs, pigeons from the Producers, Bobby & Samson from the video we watched, fraggles & all sorts of cool puppets. Some of them are really old & falling apart because of the materials they are made out of so you can't really touch them now. Michael talked abit about the building that houses the Creature Shop now-it is an old barn where they used to build sets in Charlie Chaplins days. He showed us with a puppet & a set up camera & tv some of the basic principles of puppeteering. He picked Eric my DH & let him play with a puppet to see how they work. I loved watching him try to do it-he said he was making the most common mistake of newbies which was moving the upper part of the head/mouth too much which makes you loose the eyes-so you should use the lower face/mouth more than the upper so that the eyes stay more stable so your character is more believeable. He also showed us some computer puppetering as well with a dog done in the computer & a special rigging that the puppeteer can use & move the characters face around & make different expressions. It was fascinating watching the dogs face change based on what Michael was doing. We had time to ask him questions as well, but before we knew it our time was up in the Creature shop.
This is the Creature Shop building.

And me with a new found friend outside the creature shop.

Even the bathrooms have a Muppet touch-the signs outside to indicate which facility one should use.

We were supposed to get to see Brian Henson's office, but he was there that day and using it. Can you imagine-how rude to be using his own office.

Next we had lunch, which was catered by the studios. We had made our choices the day before from a set menu. I had chosen lentil soup, an Joe's salad which had grilled chicken, walnuts & olives. Eric had a salad & a cheeseburger. They also had yummy chocolate chip cookies for us. It was a nice lunch & we enjoyed chatting with our fellow adventurers as we ate under a tent on this beautiful California day.

After lunch, we got a visit from Michael & Sweetheart.

He answered our questions & just had a good time interacting with us with Sweetheart.
Here is a bit of video of him talking with us. Some of it is pretty bright because the sun was right behind him.

What he said right after I clicked off the video, was that each of the original muppets was worth 20 to 30,000$--WOW & that there are only a very few of each character made & as one gets too old to use for close up work, they are used as "stunt puppets" like Gonzo flying through the air & crash landing. Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a picture of one of the postcards that we received from our guides.

It was a wonderful time at the Jim Henson Studios!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe all that we were able to see & I loved hearing about the history of the place. Charlie Chaplin's ghost is said to haunt the studios & I don't blame him because it seems like a great place to be.

As we were leaving I found this Hidden Mickey.

Bye Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!

In the bus on the way to our next stop, they were playing music inspired by the places we had been & one of the songs happened to be the ma nam a na song from Sesame Street which I love & of course I had to sing along.

Up next.........a surprise destination-what could it be?????

Last edited by Disneygrl36; 12-29-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Disneygrl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #56
Aburns8
DIS Veteran

I totally missed Kermit!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #57
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aburns8 View Post
I totally missed Kermit!
Well, I would say how could you miss him he was huge, but there was so much to look at that I can see how you could miss it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #58
mommaU4

The one who started it - DIS ladies do DLR
Well, I never said I wasn't insane. I just don't want them thinking that

Loved your date with a frog update!!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #59
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Quote:
Why do you live in a hotel?
When you have oodles of money to buy a house

Quote:
I read some great things about Jim Henson before this trip in anticipation of getting to see the studio, but my favorite was about his memorial service where a group of puppeteers sang "Just One Person" in their character voices & started out one by one scattered throughout the audience until they all ended up on stage together. This was said to inspire the director of the comedy "Love Actually" to incorporate this idea in the wedding scene in that movie where various members of the congregation get up & sing/play instruments to seranade the happy couple. Now I will never be able to watch that scene without thinking about Jim Henson.
I that movie! Thanks for sharing that. I'll prob think of Mr. Henson too. I've always had a small place in my heart for the Muppets. They are awesome.

Quote:
Diana said they had seen Justin Timberlake here on one tour.
OH...MY...GOSH I would have died. I JT! That would have been wicked awesome!

Quote:
We got to go to the creature shop where all the magic happens. We had to lock up our cameras at this point because there is top secret superduper new stuff in there.
Do they literally take your cameras/phones and lock them up?
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #60
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Diana said they had seen Justin Timberlake here on one tour.
Patrick saw J T-lake there too! He also saw Miley Cyrus there once, and the Jonas Brothers, and Kanye West, and that guy Randy Jackson from American Idol has an office at Henson and hangs around a lot. It's funny because Patrick doesn't know who most of these stars are and people around him freak out and have to explain to him why they're freaking out.

I also got a little thrill watching your video when Michael mentioned the invitation-only puppeteering classes that Henson does - that's the one Patrick teaches!
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: