Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
EpcotBeauty
I fly a starship across the Universe divide

Be aware if traveling to WDW within the next few days

There is a nasty, nasty stomach bug that is plaguing many of the resorts. I am no Pollyanna, and know that there is a high possibility of catching a stray bug at WDW due to the sheer volume of people......but this bug is highly contagious and had all the CM's and resort employees talking. Most seemed to think it was the Norwalk virus.

It took my family out one by one during our 8 night stay. It came on viciously and violently. It started out with nausea and then forceful vomiting and diarreah for about 8 hours. It was so bad that all of us had accidents and could not make it to the bathroom (to vomit) at least a few times. The staff at the YC and BC were wonderful and told us that they and SSR had been hit the hardest. There were literally guests puking outside of the resort, in the food courts and bathrooms!

Just wanted to put this PSA out here for the DISers. Just remember to wash, wash, WASH your hands while down there!! Oh, and I pity the family that was assigned our room after we left....
EpcotBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry this happened to you and sorry it happened to any WDW visitor. What you are describing is one of my worst fears for vacationing. Ugh!
We were at WDW exactly a year ago, and I can tell you that if I had read this report before I left--I would have canceled. Many would think that is over-reacting but I have terrible cardiac problems when I catch a really bad stomach bug. Also--can you imagine it going through all eight of us? Wayyy too much time and money lost.

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

You are about the 5th person to come back reporting sickness! Its pretty scary! We leave in 2 weeks and I am going to be packing lysol wipes, lysol and hand sanitizer!!!! Thanks for warning everyone.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Yikes! I'm so sorry you and your family were so sick at WDW. It's definitely not a great place to be that sick in, especially when you're planning so much fun and family time. Like the PP said, you're not the first one to write about this awful stomach thing -- I hope they are able to get it under control... Sounds like Mousekeeping has their hands full these days. I hope you're all back to good health really soon.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Mary976
DIS Veteran

The Norwalk virus is sweeping through DD's school as I write this. Her doc said good handwashing is the best defense. I guess the big downer about it happening at Disney is that everyone there is trying to have a nice vacation.
Mary976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I live in central Pa and the Norwalk virus(just as you described)is hitting fast and furious.Lots of people everywhere are getting this.WASH WASH WASH your hands.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

We're in GA and had it the weekend after Thanksgiving. It is pretty ugly!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
crazyoldmaurice
hmm...

We just got back from SSR on Sunday night after being there for the whole week, and saw no sign of any stomach bug, and fortunately none of us got sick. Either we made it out of there just in time, or because Disney is a big place the chances are "relatively" low that you will catch something. That said, this time of year it is a great idea to wash your hands often!
crazyoldmaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
SharpMomOfTwo
DIS Veteran

Yep, we just got back this Tues, and the whole family - DH, DD, DD, DFIL & DMIL had it. You don't want to know how bad it was. My DH said that in his 35 years on this planet hes never been so sick in his life. Just pray you don't get it!
SharpMomOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
You are about the 5th person to come back reporting sickness! Its pretty scary! We leave in 2 weeks and I am going to be packing lysol wipes, lysol and hand sanitizer!!!! Thanks for warning everyone.
Please wipe the place down before we get there!!!

My biggest fear as well is getting sick on vacation or right before.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
TealHearts70
Earning My Ears

Stomach Bug In WDW

My family and I were in WDW Nov 16-23. On our last day there my one year old got this bug. Within 24 hours all 7 of us had it. We were using hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes and still got it. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.. it really is horrible. We ended up in the ER with our 1 yr old being dehydrated. Celebrations Hospital was wonderful in treating my son. I too feel bad for the mousekeeping staff who had to clean our room and the next guest who had to use it! I sanitized everything that I could before we left. I just hope it was enough so that no one else would get it.

Off site Aug 05
All Star Music Family Suites Nov 08
All Star Music Family Suites Nov 10
TealHearts70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #12
Sea Turtles
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately, I can vouch for this. Caught something similar last week in WDW. Lasted 48 hours.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealHearts70 View Post
My family and I were in WDW Nov 16-23. On our last day there my one year old got this bug. Within 24 hours all 7 of us had it. We were using hand sanitizer and antibacterial wipes and still got it. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.. it really is horrible. We ended up in the ER with our 1 yr old being dehydrated. Celebrations Hospital was wonderful in treating my son. I too feel bad for the mousekeeping staff who had to clean our room and the next guest who had to use it! I sanitized everything that I could before we left. I just hope it was enough so that no one else would get it.
Remember that antibacterial wipes are just that - they kill bacteria. What we're talking about here is a virus. Just like antibiotics don't work on viruses, antibacterials don't work on viruses either.

The hand sanitizers may help, but hand washing with soap and warm to hot water is still your best defense.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
designermv
Disco Miniature Golfing Queen

Yup. My poor husband had to sprint from our table at the California Grill so he could vomit Exorcist-style in the men's room. He blamed it on the Ugly Betty Cheeseburger he ate earlier that day at the ABC Commissary, but I think it was the virus. By the time our entrees arrived, he was green at the gills and we had no choice but to pay our check and leave. He got his filet to go and it was still in the fridge at WL when we checked out yesterday. What a waste.
Polynesian, November 2011
Polynesian, November 2012
Polynesian CL, October 21-28 2013
Upcoming: Wilderness Lodge CL, October 11-18

R Noodle (9yrs) Peepers (4yrs)

designermv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
Emagine
DVC Member

Location: DVC Mom smoothered in the Homeschool Room teaching 2 Autistically Wonderful Boys

Add us to sick at Disney. My 2 yr old the first week of Dec had this bug for 2 days. While I felt uneasy it did not hit me. Housekeeping brought us towels and sheets galore and said this bug was bad. We saw a couple of puking ppl and even a kid puke on Dumbo that week. This bug is bad and I chase my kids with soap!
Emagine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: