Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
ashleyrm
DIS Veteran

Road Trippiní to WDW to drop off my son for WDWCP

Who: Becky (me) 48 year old, Disney veteran
Dan (DS) 23 years old Ė Disney raised kid, now young adult Ė doing the Walt Disney World College Program for Spring 2009

Background

When my son changed his major to Hotel and Restaurant Management a couple years back, I mentioned the Disney College Program to him several times, but he never really expressed much interest. Then, last month, he came home from school one day and told me that they were having an informational session for the Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) at the local university the following week. (Dan attends one of the local community colleges). So, off he went to the meeting, came home and told me that he had a phone interview the next day! We searched around the web, and got a pretty good idea of what sort of questions he could expect during the interview. Dan felt that the interview went very well and they were impressed with his work experience and his answers to the questions posed. Two weeks later, the highly-valued purple folder arrived at our house announcing that Dan had been accepted for Spring 2009 for quick food and beverage service (QFSB)! He would have preferred full service food and beverage, particularly, bartending, but was nonetheless very excited about being selected. As the pay is fairly low and housing and food are not included in the program, there was some family discussion about finances (Dan makes his own car payments, insurance and cell phone bills) and more discussion about postponing his already delayed graduation by one semester. My husband and I agreed to cover some of Danís financial burden and both feel that the College Program will be a great experience for him and will hopefully carry some weight on his resume for future employment. Given this, Dan sent off his acceptance and is due to report to Vista Way on January 26, 2009!

Students in the WDWCP have the option of having their own car with them and from what weíve been told it is very advantageous to have oneís own transportation if possible, so Dan will be taking his car with him. We did not want him to make the 15-16 hour drive by himself, so I grudgingly (nod, nod, wink, wink) agreed to drive down with him and return some time later by plane.

This will be the first time that I have ever driven from home (Newark, DE) to Disney Ė in fact, I think the most Iíve ever driven is about 9 hours. Dan and I have been discussing how we are going to drive. He wants to do it all at once. I would like to do it over two days (I am old, I need my rest). We are currently planning on the two day option. Here is what the current plan looks like:

Saturday 1/24
Ė pack up the car with all of Danís worldly belongings. From what Iíve seen in pictures, it looks like the guys get along with a lot less stuff than the girls, but we still have to take the computer, the tv, the video gaming system, etc.
Ė leave home by 10:00 a.m. and drive to Florence, S.C.

Sunday 1/25
- Drive the rest of the way
- Check in at Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ)

Monday 1/25
- 9:00 a.m. Check in at Vista Way

After that Ė thing are kind of up in the air. I canít really make any hard and fast plans for what will go on once weíre there. A lot of it will depend on Danís training schedule and his desire to spend time with his new roommates/friends versus spending time with me. I have reservations at Port Orleans French Quarter ($94/night + tax) and an airline ticket home on Southwest ($89 + tax) for Wednesday, Jan. 18 at 6:35 p.m. I have 2 park hopper passes that each have one day left on them, and a Disney Reward card that expires in December that I plan to use to buy a two day park hopper pass.

A few new things for me Ė I have previously stayed at the Poly, the Beach Club, All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach and Old Key West. I considered staying at one of the All Star resorts that I hadnít stayed at before (for $49/night), but I really am a bit spoiled and feel that the moderates are worth the extra money. I chose POFQ since I hadnít stayed there before, it is a relatively small resort and it has the requisite hot tub.

Iím used to having my own car and I wonít have one for this trip since my son will keep his car with him. As this is a low visitor period and Iím not planning on doing any commando touring, not having a car shouldnít be too big of a deal. Also, Iím using the Disney Magical Express to get back to the airport.

Lastly, although Iíve been to the parks be myself for brief periods, Iíve never spent this much time alone. I am kind of excited about getting to do some of the things in the parks that I donít get to do with the rest of my family. Also, Iím not sure how much time my son will be with me. He doesnít get into the parks for free until his first few days of training so I may need to buy a couple more days worth of passes.

Thatís all for now. Will update as time goes along.

Becky

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: