Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #1036
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy Marissy View Post
DH and I are thinking about trying it. We want a nice big breakfast so we can skip lunch, ahem...try to skip lunch Thanks for the info! We just might try it!
I am sure you won't be disapointed! with my huge breakfast, I got a freshly baked blueberry muffin that I was able to take with me for a snack later!
the peppermint fudge is to die for!! and so is the candy cane bark, it's a white chocolate type candy base with the crushed up candy cane in it, harder than the fudge. I plan on bringing some of both home to seal up with my new food vacume sealer for a little taste of Disney Christmas through out the year!

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
smiley_face2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 AM   #1037
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Love the candy apple snowmen! I've never seen anything liek that before

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
travelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #1038
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Thanks, Mikayla, for posting all those great pictures! I think the Snowman shortbread cookies are adorable (not to self: add snowman cookie on to list with gingerbread man, cinnmon roll, peppermint fudge & ice cream, etc.) The cinnamon roll looks just as scrumptious as I remember it to be from when I had it, so I must get another one! The gingerbread man with Mouse ears looks slightly different than he looked last year. I can't tell if they made him shorter or softened his edges a bit, but he looks different. I will still get one, though! And I want to see if they have any peppermint cupcakes lurking around!

The peppermint bark is sold in a bunch of places around DLR - in Marceline's, I not only saw the fresher bark behind the counter, but whole gift boxes, small and large, of it on the shelves. They must make a ton of it daily!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #1039
ReelMike84
Earning My Ears

I did a full write-up on my blog Famished L.A., so stop by for the full blow by blow of White Water Snacks. But I'll give you guys a summary of things.

White Water Snacks
Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

Char-Broiled Chicken Sandwich

This had a juicy piece of chicken, a little spice from an ortega chili, and a creaminess from the guacamole which was more avocado then guacamole. This was good and I'd certainly get it again. Next time I'd add something like BBQ sauce or cheese if I feel like taking it away from a healthy meal.

Classic French Dip

The meat is tender and I liked the au jus even if it was a little salty. I think the dipping of the sandwich helped tone down the saltiness. I enjoyed this along with the fries it came with. I wonder if they'd put cheese on these?...

Shredded Beef Nachos

This is the same photo I posted a while ago, but in case you missed it here you go! Shredded beef and cheddar cheese on top of in-house made chips with a healthy plop of sour cream and guacamole. These are very good and surprisingly not as greasy as they look. I could seriously make a meal out of just this. Can you tell I like cheese?

This is actually a gingerbread Mickey from the Penny Arcade.

I had to search for the one with the chocolate ears since they were out of them everywhere else. I scored the last one here much to the shargrin of another eyeballer.

The cookie was soft which I like, but I prefer my gingerbread cookies to be a bit more intense on the ginger. I think what made this cookie go from only ok to good were the chocolate Mickey ears. Chocolate and gingerbread were great together, and the cute mickey hat didn't hurt either.
ReelMike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #1040
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelMike84 View Post
I did a full write-up on my blog Famished L.A., so stop by for the full blow by blow of White Water Snacks. But I'll give you guys a summary of things.

White Water Snacks
Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

Char-Broiled Chicken Sandwich

This had a juicy piece of chicken, a little spice from an ortega chili, and a creaminess from the guacamole which was more avocado then guacamole. This was good and I'd certainly get it again. Next time I'd add something like BBQ sauce or cheese if I feel like taking it away from a healthy meal.

This is actually a gingerbread Mickey from the Penny Arcade.

I had to search for the one with the chocolate ears since they were out of them everywhere else. I scored the last one here much to the shargrin of another eyeballer.

The cookie was soft which I like, but I prefer my gingerbread cookies to be a bit more intense on the ginger. I think what made this cookie go from only ok to good were the chocolate Mickey ears. Chocolate and gingerbread were great together, and the cute mickey hat didn't hurt either.
That chicken sandwich looks great, but I would opt for no guacamole or avocado. Does the guacamole come on the side or actually on the sandwich? That looks like a chili pepper on the chicken, but I don't see the guacamole. The strawberries look great!

You have confirmed in your photo what I already suspected about the Mickey gingerbread cookie. In the other picture I saw of the 2008 cookie, I thought the cookie looked slightly shorter than it did last year, and a little pudgier. The cookies I saw last year in Marceline's were hard, not soft, and they were longer/taller gingerbread men and not as pudgy as this year's version seems to be. They are still adorable, and I will get a couple. I assume that even when they run out, the bakery is churning out fresh ones every day. Plus, there are SO many different places to find the cookies, what with all the bakeries and candy stores in DLR, etc.

But, you gave us a good tip - who in the world would think to look for cookies in the Penny Arcade? I know I wouldn't have. So now I know that if all the cookies seem to be gone from the usual places, I will poke my head in the Arcade!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-09-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added a ?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #1041
ReelMike84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
That chicken sandwich looks great, but I would opt for no guacamole or avocado. Does the guacamole come on the side or actually on the sandwich. That looks like a chili pepper on the chicken, but I don't see the guacamole. The strawberries look great!

You have confirmed in your photo what I already suspected about the Mickey gingerbread cookie. In the other picture I saw of the 2008 cookie, I thought the cookie looked slightly shorter than it did last year, and a little pudgier. The cookies I saw last year in Marceline's were hard, not soft, and they were longer/taller gingerbread men and not as pudgy as this year's version seems to be. They are still adorable, and I will get a couple. I assume that even when they run out, the bakery is churning out fresh ones every day. Plus, there are SO many different places to find the cookies, what with all the bakeries and candy stores in DLR, etc.

But, you gave us a good tip - who in the world would think to look for cookies in the Penny Arcade? I know I wouldn't have. So now I know that if all the cookies seem to be gone from the usual places, I will poke my head in the Arcade!
The chili is a large ortega chili. If you like your spice mild you'll be OK with it. As for the guac there's a fair sized amount of it under the chicken breast. Next time, however, I'd probably do what you were thinking and opt for something like using ketchup or bbq sauce instead since the guac was more textural then taste adding.

The gingerbread men sizes actually varied depending on the design. For example, I noticed that the ones in Mickey ears tended to be shorter and pudgier while the generic looking iced men tended to be pudgier and taller. If there is one aspect, at least visually, that they both had in common it was the widening belly. I couldn't tell you if the generics were soft or hard.
ReelMike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #1042
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelMike84 View Post
The chili is a large ortega chili. If you like your spice mild you'll be OK with it. As for the guac there's a fair sized amount of it under the chicken breast. Next time, however, I'd probably do what you were thinking and opt for something like using ketchup or bbq sauce instead since the guac was more textural then taste adding.

The gingerbread men sizes actually varied depending on the design. For example, I noticed that the ones in Mickey ears tended to be shorter and pudgier while the generic looking iced men tended to be pudgier and taller. If there is one aspect, at least visually, that they both had in common it was the widening belly. I couldn't tell you if the generics were soft or hard.
Yes, I like either BBQ sauce or mustard on my chicken sandwiches, so I would go for one of those over the guacamole. I can't believe how many yummy strawberries they give on the side. Usually, you see wimpy looking pieces of fruit on the side at restaurants, but they are really generous at Whitewater Snacks - considering strawberries are technically out of season. (Of course, here in CA, we can always buy strawberries in the store - year round - though they may cost a small fortune in the off-season months, and there may not be as good a selection!)

Now, why, oh why, can't Blue Ribbon Bakery bring back the strawberry shortcake??

Yep, the gingerbread men - with or without Mickey ears - are getting portly! They are awfully cute, though - I was surprised they were not all sold out last year when I went, but we saw a lot of them everywhere. People must not have really caught on to them until this year, and now they are all the rage!

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-09-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #1043
Stacerita
AKA the Lexus TinklerMy bad-its Miss Understood. Sorry. Got my drag queens mixed
I guess I did look more like a Hooter's girl than I wanted to

Thanksgiving pics From Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen

These were taking on Thanksgiving. I finally got around to posting them.

Child's Appetizer

Corn Flake Crusted Chicken with Mac & Cheese

Child's Sundae

Inappropriate graphics will be deleted from signatures.
Please remember this is a family-friendly site
Stacerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #1044
Stacerita
AKA the Lexus TinklerMy bad-its Miss Understood. Sorry. Got my drag queens mixed

More Thanksgiving pics From Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen

Roman Garlic Bread

Coconut Shrimp

Creole Calamari

Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #1045
Stacerita

More Thanksgiving pics From Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen

Grilled Tournedos of Beef

New York Strip Tchoupitoulas

New Orleans Bread Pudding

Profiteroles

Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #1046
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Yumm it all looks so wonderful.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #1047
Krissy Marissy
I LOVE the MC!!! I eat one every trip!

Here on the Dis we're kinda like....enablers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Yumm it all looks so wonderful.
It suuuuuure does!!! This thread always makes me so freaking hungry...I must stop visiting it.

And those cookies do look a little pudgie this year but I bet they are yummy!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #1048
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy Marissy View Post
It suuuuuure does!!! This thread always makes me so freaking hungry...I must stop visiting it.

And those cookies do look a little pudgie this year but I bet they are yummy!
I prefer the pudgy ones myself. A softer gingerbread is good.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #1049
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Yes, the cookies are probably even better this year than last, now that they are pudgy - even though I never tried them in 2007 so I am not sure how good they were or weren't last year. How could they be bad, though? I mean, as long as you like the taste of gingerbread and like Mickey ears, how could you go wrong?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #1050
goofycathy
DIS Veteran

Location: ONLY 752 miles north of the happiest place on earth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacerita View Post
Grilled Tournedos of Beef

New York Strip Tchoupitoulas

New Orleans Bread Pudding

Profiteroles
The steak at RBJK is what my DH usually has and loves it! I just love eating anything at this place...so yummy, thanks for the mouthwatering pics!
goofycathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: