Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

This struck me as odd..

We were shopping yesterday... at several of the stores we were offered 20% discounts if we signed up for their credit cards... DH said no thanks... the customer service girl said "while you are already putting it on a credit card what makes the difference"... I thought DH was gonna hit the roof!!! I just stepped back about 10 ft and he very nicely explained he was NOT interested and would be discussing her attitude w/ a manager... Than the manager proceeds to tell DH that he could have just got the card, taken the 20% discount and immediately paid of the bill at the customer service desk... DH was livid.. I doubt he ever steps foot in there again...

Off to the next 2 stores: they asked... DH said no thanks..that was the end of it..

Go to the last store and the lady got really offended that we would not apply for their store credit card! DH was livid... I have not seen him that mad in a long time... he opted not to respond but was very nasty in the van as we were leaving.. I think he blew off more steam than I have ever seen... Not yelling at me... just the attitude of others..

We put our Christmas on one credit card..and have it paid off in 30 days... (money is already sit aside but he likes to keep that card "looking busy" so that they don't close it or anything)...

Have any of you experienced this~ this year?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
JandJ
If I close my mind in fear . . . Please pry it open
I had a very productive day ... yesterday

That's a shame that you had to end your shopping day on a negative tone. The salepeople push because they get a few extra bucks in their paycheck for every card they get someone to take. I haven't worked retail in about 15 years, but we got $2 per new cardholder.

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel Mother (1940 - 2005) Daddy's little girl (1933 - 2008)

Egypt, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, 7 Caribbean islands, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, 12 states, DC - check! Where to next??
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
aroyer
I am shy, but once you get know me there is no shutting me up!

No, we haven't experienced it, but WOW!!! That's incredible. I am literally shocked at the attitudes. I wonder if corporate is putting so much pressure on their managers and sales associates getting these cards that the stores are resorting to horrible tactics. I really can't believe the managers response. I used to be a manager, I would have NEVER said that. Holy cow.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

See, about that time I would have walked away without the stuff I intended to purchase. Have a nice flockin' day putting all that crap back.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I don't use store credit cards either, but I know from working in retail we had quotas for the number of people we were to sign up each month- not that is an excuse for being rude but it is a reason they push them more.

Rebecca
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
AlexWyattMommy
Okay, here I am, out of high school and still with the big hair
"You would look like a stupid pony"
I can answer - BEEF and WILLIS

Unless it was something I couldn't get somewhere else, I would be walking out too.

4 people + 1 travel trailer = tons of giggles
AlexWyattMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
ddavis860
My dream job is to be the Fairy Godmother in the lobby of Cinderella's Royal Palace
But I have to say after this really hot winter, I'm looking forward to fall!Make assorted balls for snakes

We do it like you do, 1 card, and paid off. I'm always asked about do I want a store card too, but never have I had people be that pushy when I refuse! How rude!! And the manager backing that behavior up? I bet corporate would be interested in that manager's antics!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I wish I only had 1 Credit card. Some day I might! LOL
Old 11-18-2008, 04:11 AM   #9
lewdyan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Me Too!

Dyan 0=====0

Too many times to count... but never enough!!!Twirl Trips 2010!August - Orlando, October -Orlando July - Savannah
lewdyan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
StitchIsOurHero
I was smart enough to marry a DH who does the laundry!
Dun-DUN! Has 8 Matthew McConaugheys at work!
The Rock, in his little man-bikini, is quite pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Me too!!! Or, I'd be willing to "carry" 3 in my wallet. . .if I could just not owe anything on them!

I went to the mall the other day, and in one particular store, the girl stopped me at the door (on the way in) and asked me if I wanted the store credit card. I politely told her no, and she kept walking with me! She said, "Well, you could just put your purchase on there and pay it off." I told her no again. She kept on. Finally, she said, "Here, just take the application so I can mark the number off." I tore it up and threw it away (it didn't have anything pertaining to me on it), but it amazed me. She wasn't quite rude, though, she just seemed really desparate! Nan, with those attitudes, I probably would've told them to shove it!
StitchIsOurHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
carolinagirl
Mouseketeer
OK....I have driving issues
Does NOT want to wake up with the King!!

I've never had anyone be that pushy. I generally try to avoid eye contact with people pushing credit cards in stores, although you can't avoid the cashiers.

Do these people know that just the act of applying for a credit card can have a negative effect on your credit score? Even if you do pay the balance off at the Customer Service desk. Unbelievable!

carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
phins_jazy
You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun. Don't worry about it.

Bleh! This is why I hate working retail. I used to be a cashier and I had to ask every customer that came through the line to apply for the card. If they said no I had to ask them one more time. We were evaluated on this. If we were caught not asking the customer or not asking them again after they said no, we would get wrote up. 3 write ups and you're fired. You had to have x number of credit apps or you had to go to a 6 am meeting on a saturday and listen to the lecture about credit. And yes you did get an extra $2 a credit app. I HATED it!!! Absolutely hated asking people for credit. I'm sorry the cashier and manager treated you that way.

phins_jazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: