Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Melanie151
Earning My Ears

AirTran and Carseats

We are going on a cruise in January and we need to bring our carseats with us. Can we check a carseat for free on Airtran or do we have to pay?
We bought our tickets before they announced the 1st bag fee, but I need 2 car seats. Can I bring them on the plane and not have a charge?
Melanie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
encinc
DIS Veteran

If the seats are FAA approved (all Canadian harnessed seats are) why not use the seats on board for your kids? They'll be comfy because they're used to them, safer in case of turbulence, and you won't have to worry about checking them. I'd recommend against checking them with the bags, because there's too much risk of them getting lost or damaged.
encinc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
mikeandkarla
DIS Veteran

Yes you can. I called AirTran on this very issue. You can check a car seat for every child you have and it does not count toward your carry-on or checked baggage allowances. I would call AirTran personally just to make sure. 1-866-247-2428

SSR , AKV, BWV___HOME SWEET HOME___
2014 VGF, RPR(Universal);2013OKW&BWV;2012 OKW,DCL,BLT,BWV; 2011 VGC,BWV; 2010 BWV&VB,AKV,RPR(Universal); 2009 POR,POP,VB&AKV; 2008 BCV&VB,AKV; 2007 SSR; 2006 ASMO; 2005 ASMU; 2001 ASSP.
mikeandkarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Tisha_PA
DIS Veteran

I sent an e-mail to Airtran about this on Wed right after they changed their baggage policy. This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting AirTran Airways.

Children twenty-four months and above must have a confirmed seat in order to travel.

A car seat is not required for children over the age of two years, however, children under twenty four months may only occupy a passenger seat for taxi, take off and landing if a Child R estraint Seat is used. In order to use a Child restraint Seat, the car seat must have a tag indicating it is FAA approved for use on board an aircraft (usually located on the back of the seat, the applicable statement is likely in red). You may bring a stroller to the gate for ease of travel through the airport. The stroller may be gate checked just before boarding the plane, it will be returned to the aircraft jetway upon arrival at your destination.

Car seats and strollers may be checked free of charge; however, any other items would be subject to excess luggage fees (i.e. portable crib high chair...etc.). Traveling with an infant, you are allowed more than the normal one carry-on item in order to travel with baby related items such as diapers, baby clothes, blanket, etc. We recommend that you carry on more than ample supplies of baby care items in the event that your flight is delayed. Security requirements prevent us from retrieving checked luggage from the cargo stowage.

Booster-type child seats, vest and harness-type systems, and lap held child belts are not approved for use in the aircraft during movement on the surface, taxi, takeoff and landing; they may be used during cruise flight only. The C.A. R .E.S. (Child Aviation R estraint System) is currently the only child safety device FAA approved for all points of travel, in place of a child restraint seat.

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We thank you for including AirTran Airways in your travel plans and we wish you a very pleasant flight.

Sincerely,

Michael Mahr
Customer Relations Department
AirTran Airways
Tisha_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Minniemouse07
DIS Veteran

Wow, I'm impressed that is it almost all factual information!

The only thing that could be changed is that the airline approval statement is found on the SIDE of the child restraint...usually in red lettering (as mandated by NHTSA regulations).

...WDW/DCL sea/land! August 2011

Minniemouse07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha_PA View Post
I sent an e-mail to Airtran about this on Wed right after they changed their baggage policy. This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting AirTran Airways.

Children twenty-four months and above must have a confirmed seat in order to travel.

A car seat is not required for children over the age of two years, however, children under twenty four months may only occupy a passenger seat for taxi, take off and landing if a Child R estraint Seat is used. In order to use a Child restraint Seat, the car seat must have a tag indicating it is FAA approved for use on board an aircraft (usually located on the back of the seat, the applicable statement is likely in red). You may bring a stroller to the gate for ease of travel through the airport. The stroller may be gate checked just before boarding the plane, it will be returned to the aircraft jetway upon arrival at your destination.

Car seats and strollers may be checked free of charge; however, any other items would be subject to excess luggage fees (i.e. portable crib high chair...etc.). Traveling with an infant, you are allowed more than the normal one carry-on item in order to travel with baby related items such as diapers, baby clothes, blanket, etc. We recommend that you carry on more than ample supplies of baby care items in the event that your flight is delayed. Security requirements prevent us from retrieving checked luggage from the cargo stowage.

Booster-type child seats, vest and harness-type systems, and lap held child belts are not approved for use in the aircraft during movement on the surface, taxi, takeoff and landing; they may be used during cruise flight only. The C.A. R .E.S. (Child Aviation R estraint System) is currently the only child safety device FAA approved for all points of travel, in place of a child restraint seat.

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We thank you for including AirTran Airways in your travel plans and we wish you a very pleasant flight.

Sincerely,

Michael Mahr
Customer Relations Department
AirTran Airways

I wanted to check our umbrella stroller which was stored in a padded travel bag. The bag was a little big for the stroller (2 Maclaren Volos fit in it!) but they wanted to charge me the oversize baggage fee. Apparently, the bag was 1" in excess of what would be allowed. I told them it was a stroller and supposed to be free, but they said it didn't qualify since it was "oversized". So, I just took it to the gate and gate-checked it for free. It was a bit of a hassle trying to get 2 carry-ons, car seat and stroller (with a 3 and 5 year old) through security, but it worked out fine.

I am planning on flying AirTran again in June and I hope that they let me check the strollers. I will put both of them in the bag this time. I think I will also e-mail them so that I can print out the response that the strollers can be checked for free.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Tisha_PA
DIS Veteran

That's my plan as well. I plan to bring a copy of the e-mail as well as my booking itinerary (showing I booked prior to the increase in fees) from their website in case they try to charge me baggage fees.
Tisha_PA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: