Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #1921
Poohbeck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinBelle View Post
What section are you staying in? We're in the old section in a pool-side room. I don't know which pool yet though. I have to call them tomorrow to get our reservation info emailed again anyway. In the middle of all of this stressing, my computer crashed too! Thank goodness for the laptop & my trusty flash drive with a copy of my thesis, but everything was on the desktop. And since I NEVER print anything, I need to get everything emailed to me again....but, oh well...

5 days to go!!!! Woo Hoo!
Hi LuvinBelle,
First of all GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

Now to the Disney stuff...I don't know what room we are staying in. I didn't make any request. The last 2 times we stayed in the old section, both times facing the pool with the water wheel. We'll see this time. I'll see you there.

Shades of Green - November 2008 for MVMCP
Fantasy World Villas - February 2006 - Non-Disney trip - Sea World, NASA & Busch Gardens
Shades of Green - November 2004 - Celebrated 10 year Anniversary a bit early
Shades of Green - April 2000
- 5 year Anniversary

Port Orleans - April 1995 - Honeymoon

Caribbean Beach Resort - March 1993
- College graduation gift to myself

Somewhere Off Site - Spring 1988 - High School Senior Trip

DH 42 (celebrated 40th at Disney!) Me- 40 (celebrated 40th on train going home from Orlando)
DS12 DS14
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #1922
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisneySpirit View Post
Well, you've expressed yourself - no need to hang out here with people who do love SOG. I am sure you won't convince them otherwise.

I was lucky enough to get to stay at SOG for a few days prior to my vow renewal at Disney in March and I truly enjoyed it The buses we rode were in good condition. I loved the Java Cafe and there were people at the Poly later in the morning at a Dismeet I attended who wanted to steal my Starbucks coffee. When we were there, we got to see a 4-5 alligator at the front pond at SOG - totally cool! We had a very tasty and fun meal at Evergreen's also. Since my stay was three years after your stay, it sounds like SOG is doing great now
AMEN ! Thx for your upbeat review WithDisneySpirit! We will be doing out first SoG trip in little over a week and feel very blessed to qualify to stay at SoG. We inquired about the Disney moderate resorts for TG week and they seemed so small and over price for families of 5. I'm thinking we'll not only save money at SoG, but will love having 5 first floor rooms w/patios near pool, 480sf w/2 queen beds, a pull out couch, sm fridge, a coffee pot, not too mention the peaceful spacious beautiful grounds, and most of all a relaxing time from all the hustle bustle of the parks. We plan on using the busses for parks, however if that doesn't work out, we can surely catch the tram at Poly or use our rental car. After planning for 18 mos. we are so excited to be finally ready and can't wait!!!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #1923
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Happy Veteran's Day!!

I got to spend my Veteran's Day evening at the Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame Induction Banquet, as one of my relatives was an honoree. He was KIA and is the most decorated Native soldier in US history. We also got to hang out with Gen. Tommy Franks who mentioned my family in his address. Very cool.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #1924
KatRob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalSnowWhite View Post
Happy Veteran's Day!!

I got to spend my Veteran's Day evening at the Oklahoma Military Hall of Fame Induction Banquet, as one of my relatives was an honoree. He was KIA and is the most decorated Native soldier in US history. We also got to hang out with Gen. Tommy Franks who mentioned my family in his address. Very cool.
I just finished reading an account of 1st Sgt Poolaw and had to walk away from the computer I was tearing up so badly. Your family has to be so proud of him for so many reasons. I'm just sorry it took more than 40 years for him to be honored.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #1925
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisneySpirit View Post
Well, you've expressed yourself - no need to hang out here with people who do love SOG. I am sure you won't convince them otherwise.

I was lucky enough to get to stay at SOG for a few days prior to my vow renewal at Disney in March and I truly enjoyed it The buses we rode were in good condition. I loved the Java Cafe and there were people at the Poly later in the morning at a Dismeet I attended who wanted to steal my Starbucks coffee. When we were there, we got to see a 4-5 alligator at the front pond at SOG - totally cool! We had a very tasty and fun meal at Evergreen's also. Since my stay was three years after your stay, it sounds like SOG is doing great now
So thankfully we won't be crossing paths.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #1926
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatRob View Post
I just finished reading an account of 1st Sgt Poolaw and had to walk away from the computer I was tearing up so badly. Your family has to be so proud of him for so many reasons. I'm just sorry it took more than 40 years for him to be honored.
Thank you! We have a very strong military family, and we were (and are) very proud!!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #1927
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Some photos of SOG from our trip this past May (I'm a little slow).

Inside the main lobby:

Here's a view of the garden/gazebo area:

We saw at least three of these guys during the week.

This was from the observation deck on top of the Contemporary Resort (outside the California Grill). You can see the rooftops of SOG just beyond the Polynesian buildings.

And this is the Garden Gallery at night.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland

Last edited by bigAWL; 11-24-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #1928
TotalSnowWhite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
Some photos of SOG from our trip this past May (I'm a little slow).

Inside the main lobby:

Here's a view of the garden/gazebo area:

We saw at least three of these guys during the week.

This was from the observation deck on top of the Contemporary Resort (outside the California Grill). You can see the rooftops of SOG just beyond the Polynesian buildings.

And this is the Garden Gellery at night.
Yep...just like Holiday Inn. From the looks of your picture titles, we were there at the same time! We were at the Poly from May 27-June 2. We scouted out SoG on June 1. The bartender in the lobby had no idea what an AAFES store was and told us they didn't have one.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #1929
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Thanks bigAWL for posting the pics! I LOVE THEM! I can't wait to get there in 3 days!

And thank you to everyone who sent prayers and thoughts to me for my thesis defense! It was totally not what I expected! Right before we started (when I wanted to pee my pants ) my advisor told everyone I was from the "old" program not the current one which requires the rigorous defense! I was sooooo thankful! I just had to sit there and hear suggestions about changes for the paper! They eviscerated parts of it, but THAT'S OKAY! The bottom line is, I MADE IT! And now I can focus on Disney & SOG!!

And for those who only want to bad-mouth SOG, I look forward to proving you wrong -- in 3 days!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m8tdf7jdhygbu.png[/img]

Me DH DD
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 PM   #1930
LuvinBelle
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbeck View Post
I purchased the mini-hipster and I love it! So far anyway! I've been using it for quick shopping trips and all of the soccer games I've been going to. It is saving my shoulder and I am sure while at Disney it will be better for my back.

I have to admit, I have used the dreaded fannypack before and I HATE it! It makes me look old and it hurts my back after a while.

Glad you had such a great trip!
What night are you going to the MVMCP? We haven't decided yet. We get there Saturday afternoon after driving all night. I don't know if we'll be up to going on Sunday night -- we may be too pooped! And going on Thursday would give us something to look forward to!

And we've already bought the dreaded fanny-pack But I'll still be cool 'cause my hubby will be wearing it

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m8tdf7jdhygbu.png[/img]

Me DH DD
Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #1931
mom2jcc
Castle Suite Memories Forever!

Luvinbelle,
Have a great trip!! We are 4 weeks away now...WooHoo
Looking forward to reading about your trip and SOG
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #1932
Poohbeck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinBelle View Post
What night are you going to the MVMCP? We haven't decided yet. We get there Saturday afternoon after driving all night. I don't know if we'll be up to going on Sunday night -- we may be too pooped! And going on Thursday would give us something to look forward to!

And we've already bought the dreaded fanny-pack But I'll still be cool 'cause my hubby will be wearing it
We are going on the 20th.
I purchased the tickets the day they went on sale. Crazy, I know.
We don't arrive until the 16th, so it was the 20th or 21st.
I'll see you there!
Glad to hear your thesis went well.

Shades of Green - November 2008 for MVMCP
Fantasy World Villas - February 2006 - Non-Disney trip - Sea World, NASA & Busch Gardens
Shades of Green - November 2004 - Celebrated 10 year Anniversary a bit early
Shades of Green - April 2000
- 5 year Anniversary

Port Orleans - April 1995 - Honeymoon

Caribbean Beach Resort - March 1993
- College graduation gift to myself

Somewhere Off Site - Spring 1988 - High School Senior Trip

DH 42 (celebrated 40th at Disney!) Me- 40 (celebrated 40th on train going home from Orlando)
DS12 DS14
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #1933
Minnie Lor
I feel that same comaraderie

Awesome pictures, BigAWL!

Oct '99: CSR via SOG ~ May '02: CR via SOG ~ Nov '04: SOG ~ May '06: SOG ~ Dec '07: Pop for MouseFest ~ May '08: Pop w/friends ~
Oct '08: SOG ~ Dec '09: Pop for DIS-A-Palooza ~ Sep '10: Solo @ Pop ~ May '11: AKV for 15th Anniversary ~ Mar '13: Tokyo Disney
Old 11-13-2008, 12:56 AM   #1934
Sleepy
I'll have to remember that one
Maybe I should start watching the news

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalSnowWhite View Post
The bartender in the lobby had no idea what an AAFES store was and told us they didn't have one.
Possible that this person is not affilliated with the military other than employment at SOG. To be honest, I have been a military dependent since birth and I did not start hearing it called AAFES until I lived in Newport News, Va and got a job at the distribution center back in 99. Until then, it was BX, PX and NEX to me. I am sure to most of the employees at SOG, the "AAFES" is just the gift shop.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #1935
hharris
Earning My Ears

honeymoon?

So hopefully someone can give me an honest answer to this question. Would this be a good place for a honeymoon? My fiance and I are looking to be there possibly next September, but from what I can tell on the website, there are really no "suites" for two people, just family suites. Also, does anyone have any pictures of the rooms in the newer part of the resort?

Thanks for the help!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: