Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Expat Brits go barmy in the World ..... EPCOT

arriving at the villa was a welcome sight! Somewhere we could unpack our bags for a while and relax. The villa was lovely, very clean and tidy and although not the one we actually rented was one I would have chosen as an alternative if offered. We had the pool heating on and it was lovely and warm like a bath - Orlando in Oct is cold in the mornings and evenings and it was definately needed for us.

With a stroke of luck the one master bedroom was located directly next door to the Disney bedroom in the villa which meant we got dibs on that rather than the BIL and SIL ( ) and it was huge and extrememly comfortable and we were looking forward to nights in a very big, very high 4 poster bed!

we threw the bags into the house, met up with the BIL, SIL and DN who had flown in from the UK to stay with us in the villa and all immediately headed off to Walmart Supercentre to pick up supplies. $500 later we were loaded up and back to the house with enough food to last until christmas or see us through a nuclear holocaust!

Tonight was dinner at Hard Rock cafe before hitting Epcot in the morning. So after a couple of hours in the pool for the kids we set off to Universal for dinner. It was very busy, lots of people heading in for the Halloween celebrations and we fought our way through the crowds. The one thing I dont like about US is the distance from the carpark to wherever you want to go - its far! We paid for priority parking to be a little closer.

The Hard Rock was packed and we were seated about 15 minutes after our ressie, great server, the kids were at the place with the loud music and all the things to look at and loved it. Great food, LOADS of it, we had a platter share for starter and fajitas for me for dinner and there was no way I could get through all that. The kids actually napped halfway through before waking again and eating more!

One of the servers was a real joker and kept grabbing peoples cameras and taking pics of the entire restaurant and people at other tables which was amusing. It was a nice night, we stopped at a couple of fair style shooting games on the way back and won the boys a KungFu Spongebob each before heading back to the villa for a nice nights kip.

next up ... Epcot
islandmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

Ahh bless the boys sleeping through the dinner

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

The villa looks lovely and how sweet is the photo of your boys asleep
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Glad that you were happy with the Villa.Love the cute photo.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
islandmum
DIS Veteran

We had a nice lie in this morning as we were staying for the fireworks at Epcot and had no reason to be there for rope drop.

The SIL family were coming too so we all piled into our SUV at about 11, armed with packed lunch for the kids and headed off. First thing through the doors was a dual buggy and join the line for Spaceship Earth.

DBIL was duly dispatched to go get FP's for TT as everyone wanted to do that - apart from SIL who doesnt do any rides at all) - and our youngest despreately wants to go on as many fast things as possible ...... but was he over 40"?

dh and the boys at SE..

after SE we split with the SIL family as they went to do some stuff of their own and we went over to Nemo which was a walk on, so we walked on twice! Of course Crush we had to do and he was cool as usual. Outside the boys spotted Chip and Dale so we got a pic with them and they wanted to meet the characters inside but the wait was 75 mins!! which I just wont wait in, specially as they've met them all before. so we tootled off to TT in the hope that little man would make the height grade as he is Car MAD! and really wanted TT ....... and he made it by about 1mm!

he totally loved it, and they both loved the exit displays withe the cars to try out and then the store, I got them both a couple of hummer toys and me a t-shirt with the quote "real girls drive trucks" in reference to the fact I drive a big truck back home!

after TT Mission Space had to be done, our oldest is a bit of a chicken when it comes to the crunch and backed off but dh and I bravely stepped forward. SIL kept the kids whilst we went through and with a wait of just 5 minutes (it was single rider line) we were straight on.

We thought about doing the Ellen ride but then saw it lasted 45 minutes and none of us fancied doing such a long ride so we went off to do Honey I shrunk the audience and one more Nemo before we did the world showcase for the rest of the day.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Stepped into the World Showcase and first stall in the lone of sight was the Greek Stall. I had a little pastry with spinach and cheese - I loved the pastry but there was WAAAAY too much spinach and it tasted earthy.

we moved on and the boys immediately stopped at the beer stall for their first fix ..... it was going to be a long tasting day!! The kids had fish and chips from the UK area and we followed the sound of guitars to the garden area in the UK and sat and watched the Beatles band for 30 minutes, lovely atmosphere, everyone really enjoyed it even the boys.

next stop was France and the patisserie was very welcoming! Everyone else had chocolate eclairs but I was on a health kick so I humbly had a strawberry tartlet (who am I kidding!!)

I dont really remember the exact order of the countries and stalls so I'm just going with what I remember. We stopped off at Japan to look in the stores and then the Kobe drummers came out so we watched that show. They are amazing and when they bring the big drums out ... wow!

In Italy there was a performer juggling and plyaing the fool. He was very funny and the kids really got a kick watching this guy. He was on for about 15 minutes and everything he did was fun.

We walked on to China and the acrobats were about to start so we took our place and watched the kids faces as they performed ..... it was a picture!! They really are very good and when one of the boys does the snaking along the ground whilst the skipping rope is turning ..... AMAZING!

The food list I can remember was
New Zealand - I had the lamb, dh and BIL had the white wine,
Germany - I had the strudel, dh and BIL had the white wine,
Italy - the kids had some pasts,dh and BIL had some red wine,
South Africa - I had the Bobboti and talked the SIL into having some too, dh and BIL had some white wine,
US - we all had some Lobster rolls yummmmy - and listened to a bit of the band there,
India we had some samosa's,
China we had some noodles which were vert tasty.
Norway the oldest son and I had schoolbread which was awesome and we all had
Gouhlash from Austria, infact we all had seconds of that!

We pitched our spot for the fireworks right opposite the smoking area just past Norway. There was a free bench right at the railings and a clear area to watch the fireworks. It was only 7pm but to be honest we all needed a sit down and a rest! The kids had a little nap and the air was getting pretty cold so I offered to go get the sweaters from the car ..... big MISTAKE!!! I set off at 7.15 and ONE HOUR later I returned! It was MILES to walk, I was knackered! on my way back with the sweaters I had to get sustainance of a Qesadilla from Mexico and a shrimp dish from Puerto Rico - purely for hunger pains from all the walking you understand!

We were sat across from the smoking area which I was happy about as a smoker and we sat in awe as the fireworks started. We missed them last year and the display was amazing. The eat from the world flames was incredible that it got all the way to the lake edges and the way the countries roof tops and icons light up is clever.

We loved our day at Epcot, it wasnt so much for the rides but the touring of the world showcase was really a treat. The boys behaved really well thankgod and taking the time to stroll around really paid off - we saw alot more than we ever did last year for sure. Best food in my opinion ..... with the Ghoulash from Austria was sensational! and a close second would have to be the Bobboti - which I have eaten alot of and this was a good comfort food memory for me.

Stacked the kids into the car and headed home ... tomorrow is the SpaceCentre day.

Last edited by islandmum; 10-30-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
islandmum
DIS Veteran

and I forgot to say that this was our first day in Disney and the atmosphere compared to what else we did on this vacation was amazing. Arriving at the Ecpot gate we were waved into the toll booth, smiled at and then waved off after paying our parking fee. The parking guys then smiled and waved us through to our parking space. The parking tram guys were sweet and chatted nicely throught the ride, the lady on the entrance gate was a sweetie and waved and smiled at us all.

EVERY SINGLE member of staff at Disney we encountered was amazing, not a single one didnt smile or wasnt on top form ..

Outstanding.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Your day sounded lovely and how great DS was tall enough for TT! Also how great SIL was there to look after them whilst you rode MS

The food sounded yummy and it sounded like you had a great view of IROE

I so agree about the Disney atmosphere, I think that's half of the magic
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Villa looks good - and I agree with the Disney feeling It's great the first day you are back and taking it all in again.

Sounds like you are having fun!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

What a fab day. Lovely photo of your DH and boys outside SE.

Sounds like you had a fab time at IF&WF....I like the "DH & BIL had some white wine" repeated comments!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

lovely day, those boys are too cute
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
islandmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongirlof12 View Post
lovely day, those boys are too cute
why thank you I think they are too .... but I may be slightly biased!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #13
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

You have summed up just how I feel about Disney that some people who have never been don't understand. The atmosphere at world showcase is really good especially when you can have a drink!! I see your DH and BIL had their fair share!

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Lovely day
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it. I think we will have to sample foods from every country next time we go.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: